Re: [FHCNET] USB jump drives at FHL

  • Carol Lahr
    Message 1 of 23 , Sep 30, 2004
      Dear Richard

      What size Jump Drive do you have and can I fit both my PAF program and my data files of 3500 names on it. Sure would like to have one of these but if I am at sister in laws home on her computer which doesn't have PAF my data files would not help me at all. Also would I be able to fit Paf Insight along with PAF and data files. What size Jump Drive would I need?

      Thanks for all your help on this list
      Sincerely
      Carol

      or send blank email to FHCNET-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

    • RussellHltn
      Message 2 of 23 , Oct 1, 2004
        The Lexar needs the extension cable but doesn't come with one. The PNY
        doesn't need it, but an extension cable is supplied. Guess which one I like
        better? <grin>

        The Lexar has never let me down. It works well, but it's just too darn fat.
        It does work OK on the new HP Compaq d530s SLC is sending out.

        Message 3 of 23 , Oct 1, 2004
          > What size Jump Drive do you have and can I fit both my PAF
          > program and my data files of 3500 names on it. Sure would
          > like to have one of these but if I am at sister in laws home
          > on her computer which doesn't have PAF my data files would
          > not help me at all. Also would I be able to fit Paf Insight
          > along with PAF and data files. What size Jump Drive would I need?

          This is the second reference I have seen to someone putting the PAF program
          on a USB drive. This implies (to me) that you believe you can run PAF from
          the USB drive, which I do not believe is possible, although I have not
          tested it. PAF and PAF Insight are Windows programs, and as such must be
          installed, not simply run.

          You can put the setup programs PAF5AllLangs.exe (38MB) and
          Setup_PAFInsight.exe (1.4MB) and a whole lot of other stuff onto a 128MB USB
          drive. You can install PAF 5 onto any computer. However, PAF Insight
          requires a license key, and it would not be appropriate to install it at
          sister in laws home.

          You should consider copying all your important data files to a USB drive as
          a backup.

          SPEED. I ran a test last night. I did a check/repair of a rather large PAF
          file on the hard drive, and then did exactly the same operation on my Lexar
          JumpDrive. The check/repair on the hard drive took 76 seconds. The same
          operation on the JumpDrive took 126 seconds.

          As with diskettes and all other removable media, we recommend you only store
          backup files on USB drives. Use PAF to restore the backup file from the USB
          drive to the hard drive. When you are done updating the file, do a backup to
          the USB drive. This is my opinion. Your mileage may vary.

          Dana

          ---
        • linda.miller@goodrich.com
          Message 4 of 23 , Oct 1, 2004

            As with diskettes and all other removable media, we recommend you only store
            backup files on USB drives. Use PAF to restore the backup file from the USB
            drive to the hard drive. When you are done updating the file, do a backup to
            the USB drive. This is my opinion. Your mileage may vary.

            ***

            I copy the data files directly to my backup media (I use zip drives or CDs)
            in their .paf form rather than making the backup. Then I can access the
            drive directly without restoring the backup. Also, it is easier to copy the
            files from one computer to another (we have several at home and I want to
            keep the files on each updated).

            When I'm finished entering data for the day, I just copy the file to my zip
            drive (or USB). I have several different data files, and I keep copies of
            them all on removable media in their .paf form. (I also copy the .pax, etc.
            forms that have the same date). I have subdirectories for each file.

            I assume you could do the same with a USB drive as long as the computer
            recognizes that drive.

            It's faster than making a backup and restoring it each time you want to
            access the file.

            Linda Miller
            Vermont
          • denniscopfer
            Message 5 of 23 , Oct 1, 2004
              PAF, PAF Insight, and GenSmarts all run agreeably from backup copies
              of the program on my USB flash drive. This is not an installation on
              someone else's equipment; it is simply my software and hardware
              electronically and physically attached to an available host
              terminal. Because the host's settings take precedence the way I have
              installed them on my equipment, I only run the programs that way when
              the program is not installed on the host, and when I am also not
              using my own primary computer.

              Trillian [an instant messenger (IM) program that works with AIM,
              Yahoo, MSN, ICQ, and IRC] also runs as a program on a flash drive.
              Being able to IM family/cousins can be a big help with research when
              you're away from home. Instructions for running it this way are even
              found on the Cerulean Studios web site.

              As Dana suggested, regular copies of our data should be kept on
              different media regardless of which media you consider "primary"
              vs. "backup", and regardless of whether you keep PAF files or ZIP
              files as backups.

              dc

              SURNAMES
              Boden/Coleman/Copfer/Gaylord/Hashman/Heim/Hottinger
              Lamoreaux/Miller/Mobley/Reed/Scott/Shurtliff/Wilson

              Message 6 of 23 , Oct 1, 2004
                From: "Dana Repouille" <drepouille@...>

                > on a USB drive. This implies (to me) that you believe you can run PAF from
                > the USB drive, which I do not believe is possible, although I have not
                > tested it. PAF and PAF Insight are Windows programs, and as such must be
                > installed, not simply run.>>>>>
                ========================

                I use Roots Magic on my personal computer at home. I got a 64MB jump drive
                from Dell when I bought the computer, I keep the Roots Magic program, my
                main database, and many old photos that display in Roots Magic with the
                names.

                I keep each in a seperate folder on the jump drive. I can plug it into any
                computer with a USB port, and with Windows Explorer, go to the folder where
                Roots Magis is, click on the execution file and it loads into the computer
                RAM and comes up on the screen.

                I then load the database as ususal from the Roots Magic program and it
                displays the names and associated photos. I can then make any additions or
                modifications to the database the same as if it were on my hard drive on my
                computer at home.

                The unit is about as big as my thumb. I carry it on my key chain.
                ===================================

                > file on the hard drive, and then did exactly the same operation on my
                Lexar
                > JumpDrive. The check/repair on the hard drive took 76 seconds. The same
                > operation on the JumpDrive took 126 seconds. >>>>>

                ====================================

                There are several things that can affect speed. One is the amount of
                information being transferred, but this applies to the transfer onto any
                type of media. Another is the speed of the components in the computer
                itself, hard drive, RAM, processor, and motherboard.

                And still another factor is, which "standard" applies to the jump drive and
                USB port itself? The older "standard" is 1.1, while the later "standard" is
                2.0. The 2.0 is said to run 40 times faster than the 1.1 standard.

                The trick to getting the faster speed is to have the 2.0 standard in both
                the USB port in the computer and the 2.0 in the jump drive.

                To add to the confusing is the word "compatable". The 1.1 and the 2.0 are
                "compatable" and will interchange, but will only run at the speed of the
                lowest rated one.

                Next are the terms "full speed" and "high speed". I see this more as an
                advertising gimmick. A jump drive may be advertised as a "2.0 compatable
                full speed". This is not the 2.0 standard. This is the slower 1.1 standard
                which is indeed "2.0 compatable" and it is "full speed" for the 1.1
                standard, but it's not what it appears to be at first glance. A true 2.0
                "standard' unit will say 2.0, and may also say "high speed".

                There is nothing wrong with the 1.1 units. They are just 40 times slower and
                that's fine with one that may have 64MB capacity, but some now hold 1
                Gigabyte of information and the 1.1 "standard" unit would become pretty slow
                exchanging that much information.

                If one's goal is to get a true 2.0 "high speed" unit they will have to pay
                close attention to the way it's advertised. The faster ones should say 2.0
                and not "2.0 compatable" and if any speed is mentioned it should be "high
                speed" and not "full speed".

                Then there is another problem. Most FHCs have computers that are two or more
                years old. It's not likely that their USB port are the 2.0 "standard", so
                you're back to 1.1 speed on them no matter had fast your jump drive is.

                As the jump drives get "bigger", and more information is put on them, there
                is something else to be aware of. They load their information into a
                computer's RAM (memory). Some of the older FHC computers may not have enough
                RAM to hold what is on the jump drive.

                As I think back to my first IBM clone computer I bought in the mid 1980s,
                the processor ran at 10 Megahertz (in turbo mode). The hard drive was a slow
                30 Megabyte unit which was about 5 inches by 6 inches and cost several
                hundred dollars.

                Last week I bought a true 2.0 "high speed" jump drive with 256 Megabyte
                capacity. It's a little lagrer than my thumb, and after mail-in rebates will
                cost me $17.00. I wonder what we will see in the next 20 years.

                Jim Guest
              • Maxine Nelson
                Message 7 of 23 , Oct 1, 2004
                  I have a question (two actually). I keep reading about GenSmarts and
                  that it is free for FHCs. What do I need to do to get that? Would it
                  work on a Macintosh at home?
                  Also, when I called FHCSupport to inquire about PAF Insight they said
                  they did not recommend it because of the way it interacted with
                  FamilySearch, so I didn't get it? Has this been fixed yet? Are other
                  FHCs successfully using it?
                  Thanks,
                  Maxine in Northwest Kansas
                • Richard L. Halliday
                  Message 8 of 23 , Oct 1, 2004
                    Carol;

                    I have two different such devices. The smallest is 64 meg. It is large
                    enough to store all of my 3800 individuals, which are heavily documented,
                    along with all of my PAF pictures (about 50 or them). It also holds about
                    three additional "working" PAF databases.

                    The PAF and PAF Insight programs are another matter. It would easily hold
                    the installation files for those programs, but those programs cannot be run
                    from the Jump Drive because they must be installed on the computer where
                    they are to be used. Following is information copied from another message
                    (one that you already have likely seen).

                    Sincerely,
                    Richard

[...]

                    Yahoo! Groups Links
                  • RussellHltn
                    Message 9 of 23 , Oct 1, 2004
                      >>> This is the second reference I have seen to someone putting the PAF
                      program on a USB drive. This implies (to me) that you believe you can run
                      PAF from the USB drive, which I do not believe is possible, although I have
                      not tested it. PAF and PAF Insight are Windows programs, and as such must be
                      installed, not simply run. <<<

                      Depends on the program. Some are quite happy to work that way.
                    • Ken Doyle
                      Message 10 of 23 , Oct 1, 2004
                        Linda wrote

                        Also, it is easier to copy the files from one computer to another (we have several at home and I want to keep the files on each updated).

                        Linda may I cordially suggest you network your home computers and put the data on just one computer. We did similar to you for awhile and then could not remember which databases were the current ones. We have our genealogy split up over a few databases.

                        In the end settled on putting the PAF databases on one computer and sharing those directories with the other computers.

                        This meant we no longer had to worry which file was up to date.

                        We back up to other hard drives and to other computers. But work with just one group of PAF files in a specific directory.

                        You can set in your preferences the folder (PAF files:) for another computer for the PAF program to look at. It will work across a network.

                        Only thing is the computer with the data must be turned on so you can access from another computer. Works great.

                        Cheers,

                        Ken Doyle

                        Mudgee NSW
                        Australia

                        linda.miller@... wrote:

[...]

                        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                        Message 11 of 23 , Oct 1, 2004
                          Both the backup file made by PAF, and a copy of the actual file residing on a different medium qualify as "backups" in the computer world. A backup is simply a copy of the information in whatever format you choose to store it.

                          As Linda states, the backup copy (a complete duplicate) can be faster to use, although I think by the time one navigates to the correct directory and makes the copy it is a toss up whether it is significantly faster than PAF making/restoring a backup file. The downside of using a copy of the full file is that it takes up more space. Many people use their jump drives to hold stuff other than genealogy (yes, there is more to life than genealogy) and the compression that PAF uses when making a backup file could be important if space is limited.

                          The bottom line is, use whatever technique/format is best for you.

                          Gary Templeman

                          > As with diskettes and all other removable media, we recommend you only store
                          > backup files on USB drives. Use PAF to restore the backup file from the USB
                          > drive to the hard drive. When you are done updating the file, do a backup to
                          > the USB drive. This is my opinion. Your mileage may vary.
                          >
                          > ***
                          >

                          > I copy the data files directly to my backup media (I use zip drives or CDs)
                          > in their .paf form rather than making the backup. Then I can access the
                          > drive directly without restoring the backup. Also, it is easier to copy the
                          > files from one computer to another (we have several at home and I want to
                          > keep the files on each updated).
                          >
                          > When I'm finished entering data for the day, I just copy the file to my zip
                          > drive (or USB). I have several different data files, and I keep copies of
                          > them all on removable media in their .paf form. (I also copy the .pax, etc.
                          > forms that have the same date). I have subdirectories for each file.
                          >
                          > I assume you could do the same with a USB drive as long as the computer
                          > recognizes that drive.
                          >
                          > It's faster than making a backup and restoring it each time you want to
                          > access the file.
                          >
                          > Linda Miller
                          > Vermont

                        • Andy E. Wold
                          Message 12 of 23 , Oct 1, 2004
                            Dolly,

                            The Family History Library has installed USB extension cables on all
                            workstations at the library, and has even recently added them to the
                            CD Burner systems.

                            The cables on the workstations are strapped to the side of the PC,
                            so your only concern might be for "hanging" larger micro-drives from
                            these cables. Flash drives (of any width) fit nicely on these
                            cables.

                            You do want to make sure that your flash drive is driver-less
                            compatible with Windiws 2000 (used on the workstations) and Windows
                            XP (used on the CD Burners). Having to download a driver for each
                            time you use the drive is quite a pain. If it is driver-less for
                            those operation systems, you should be fine.

                            Andy

                            > Hello to FHCnet. I'm ready to buy a USB jump drive to use on my
                            > trip to the Family History Library in SLC.
                            >
                            > (I inquired, and they are permitted; some computers even have short
                            > extension cables to make it easier to use jump drives.)
                            >
                            > I want to buy the same _brand_ issued to FHL staffers -- hoping to
                            > avoid compatibility problems both at the FHL and my FHC.
                            >
                            > FHL staff have drives marked "USBKEY." (Or maybe "USB KEY.")
                            >
                            > I googled and got a confusing array of hits.
                            >
                            > Anyone here at FHCnet know what _brand_ or manufacturer I should
                            > look for?
                            >
                            > Thanks, Dolly in Maryland
                          • Gary Hall
                            Message 13 of 23 , Oct 2, 2004
                              Ken (et al). This also works well with your financial S/W (I use
                              Quicken). The data file resides on your primary CPU Hard Drive, but you
                              can do your finances from your laptop no matter where in the house you
                              happen to be. Been doing this for years.
                              Gary Hall

                              On Oct 1, 2004, at 4:22 PM, Ken Doyle wrote:

                              > Linda wrote
                              >
                              > Also, it is easier to copy the files from one computer to another (we
                              > have several at home and I want to keep the files on each updated).
                              >
                              > Linda may I cordially suggest you network your home computers and put
                              > the data on just one computer. We did similar to you for awhile and
                              > then could not remember which databases were the current ones. We have
                              > our genealogy split up over a few databases.
                              >
                              > In the end settled on putting the PAF databases on one computer and
                              > sharing those directories with the other computers.
                              >
                              > This meant we no longer had to worry which file was up to date.
                              >
                              > We back up to other hard drives and to other computers. But work with
                              > just one group of PAF files in a specific directory.
                              >
                              > You can set in your preferences the folder (PAF files:) for another
                              > computer for the PAF program to look at. It will work across a
                              > network.
                              >
                              > Only thing is the computer with the data must be turned on so you can
                              > access from another computer. Works great.
                              >
                              > Cheers,
                              >
                              > Ken Doyle
                              >
                              > Mudgee NSW
                              > Australia
                              >
                              > ***

                            • Stockton FHC
                              Message 14 of 23 , Oct 3, 2004
                                I use a 256MB mini cruzer I bought at Costco last year when it was a
                                bargain at $53. They are cheaper now.
                                I installed rootsmagic to the USB drive, copied my database files
                                and 56MB of photo files and then filled it up with other useful files.
                                I like the idea of puting the setup files there for PAF or your
                                preferred database to install as needed. But down at work, they do not
                                allow us to install software to business PCs, so I have to run the
                                database from the USB drive or usually my laptop.
                                If the program installs ALL the program files to the database
                                folder, you have no problem running it from the USB drive. If it
                                doesn't, it won't run when you move it to another PC.
                                Another problem can occur when you move it to another PC with a
                                different number of HDs and the drive letter for the USBdrive becomes
                                other than the one you installed your database to. Then if you have a
                                shortcut that starts the database it won't work, and then you have to
                                go find the rootsmagic.exe to start the program.
                                I don't see why several shortcuts couldn't be pre-made that would
                                start the database as different drive letters with the drive letter as
                                part of the name to identify it.

                                Vern Taylor
                                Stockton CA

                                > Message: 3
                                > Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2004 08:10:47 -0500
                                > From: "Dana Repouille" <drepouille@...>
                                > Subject: RE: USB jump drives at FHL
                                >
                                > > What size Jump Drive do you have and can I fit both my PAF
                                > > program and my data files of 3500 names on it. Sure would
                                > > like to have one of these but if I am at sister in laws home
                                > > on her computer which doesn't have PAF my data files would
                                > > not help me at all. Also would I be able to fit Paf Insight
                                > > along with PAF and data files. What size Jump Drive would I need?
                                >

                                > This is the second reference I have seen to someone putting the PAF
                                > program
                                > on a USB drive. This implies (to me) that you believe you can run PAF
                                > from
                                > the USB drive, which I do not believe is possible, although I have
                                > not
                                > tested it. PAF and PAF Insight are Windows programs, and as such must
                                > be
                                > installed, not simply run.
                                >
                                > You can put the setup programs PAF5AllLangs.exe (38MB) and
                                > Setup_PAFInsight.exe (1.4MB) and a whole lot of other stuff onto a
                                > 128MB USB
                                > drive. You can install PAF 5 onto any computer. However, PAF Insight
                                > requires a license key, and it would not be appropriate to install it
                                > at
                                > sister in laws home.
                                >
                                > You should consider copying all your important data files to a USB
                                > drive as
                                > a backup.

                                =====
                                Stockton Family History Center
                                800 W. Brookside Road
                                Stockton, CA 95207
                                209-951-7060
                                One of the most difficult things to give away is kindness, it is usually returned!

                                http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
                              • Roy Katschke
                                Message 15 of 23 , Oct 4, 2004
                                  Vern Taylor wrote:

                                  > If the program installs ALL the program files to the database
                                  > folder, you have no problem running it from the USB drive. If it
                                  > doesn't, it won't run when you move it to another PC.

                                  I suggest this may or may not be true. Most windows programs also write
                                  information to the register of the computer on which the program is
                                  installed. If that information is necessary for the proper operation of the
                                  program, installing the program on a flash drive then using that USB program
                                  on another computer MAY be problematic.

                                  For example PAF5 stores information in the registry (see below) that MAY not
                                  be available on a different computer. I suspect (in the case of PAF5) this
                                  is default information used when a new PAF data file is created or other
                                  data that does not significantly affect PAF5 operations. So don't be
                                  surprised if the USB PAF5 operates a little differently on another computer.

                                  It should also be pointed out that when a USB installed PAF5 is run on a
                                  host computer that does not have PAF5 installed this information is entered
                                  into the host computer's Register. I.e., the submitter's name, address,
                                  phone, email address, etc are all left on the host computer when you leave.

                                  Some programs may leave passwords and login information behind either in the
                                  register or as cookies.

                                  Likewise, RootsMagic, uses many registry entries for proper operation,
                                  however, I didn't notice any personal information.

                                  Other programs may not be so benign.

                                  I'm not suggesting flash drives not be used to run programs like PAF5 or
                                  RootsMagic. Indeed, I am an advocate of this idea and hope future
                                  programmers put less reliance on the registry and go back to the old system
                                  of .ini files in the programs local folder/directory. But, I am suggesting
                                  one be mindful of the Windows registry relationship with installed programs
                                  and, for the uninformed, don't be surprised if an alligator jumps out and...

                                  Roy Katschke

                                  --------------------------------

                                  Paf5 registry entries:

                                  REGEDIT4

                                  [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\LDS Church\FamilySearch\Personal Ancestral File
                                  5]

                                  [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\LDS Church\FamilySearch\Personal Ancestral File
                                  5\AddOn]

                                  [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\LDS Church\FamilySearch\Personal Ancestral File
                                  5\Citation]

                                  [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\LDS Church\FamilySearch\Personal Ancestral File
                                  5\Column-EN]
                                  "Template"=hex:04,00,ff,ff,02,00,0c,00,43,49,64,41,74,74,72,69,62,75,74,65,0
                                  0,\

                                  00,00,00,00,00,a0,0f,00,00,01,00,00,00,ff,fe,ff,00,ff,ff,ff,ff,01,00,00,00,\

                                  78,00,00,00,02,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,ff,ff,02,00,12,00,43,46,75,6c,6c,6e,61,\

                                  6d,65,41,74,74,72,69,62,75,74,65,00,00,00,00,00,00,01,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,\

                                  ff,fe,ff,00,ff,ff,ff,ff,01,00,00,00,78,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,ff,\

                                  ff,02,00,10,00,43,47,65,6e,64,65,72,41,74,74,72,69,62,75,74,65,00,00,00,00,\

                                  00,00,a1,0f,00,00,00,00,00,00,ff,fe,ff,00,ff,ff,ff,ff,00,00,00,00,07,00,00,\

                                  00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,ff,ff,02,00,0e,00,43,44,61,74,65,41,74,74,72,69,\

                                  62,75,74,65,01,00,ff,ff,02,00,0f,00,43,50,6c,61,63,65,41,74,74,72,69,62,75,\

                                  74,65,00,00,00,00,00,00,ea,03,00,00,00,00,00,00,ff,fe,ff,00,ff,ff,ff,ff,00,\

                                  00,00,00,78,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,ff,fe,ff,05,42,00,69,00,72,00,\

                                  74,00,68,00,01,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,ea,03,00,00,00,00,00,00,ff,\

                                  fe,ff,00,ff,ff,ff,ff,00,00,00,00,23,00,00,00,02,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,ff,fe,\

                                  ff,00,01,00,00,00,01,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,ff,fe,ff,\
                                  00,ff,ff,ff,ff,00,00,00,00,78,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00

                                  [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\LDS Church\FamilySearch\Personal Ancestral File
                                  5\Date]
                                  "Entry"=dword:00000000

                                  [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\LDS Church\FamilySearch\Personal Ancestral File
                                  5\Ditto]

                                  [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\LDS Church\FamilySearch\Personal Ancestral File
                                  5\Ditto\Dates]
                                  "Dates0"=""
                                  "Dates1"=""
                                  "Dates2"=""
                                  "Dates3"=""
                                  "Dates4"=""
                                  "Dates5"=""
                                  "Dates6"=""
                                  "Dates7"=""
                                  "Dates8"=""
                                  "Dates9"=""
                                  "Dates10"=""
                                  "Dates11"=""
                                  "Dates12"=""
                                  "Dates13"=""
                                  "Dates14"=""
                                  "Dates15"=""
                                  "Dates16"=""
                                  "Dates17"=""
                                  "Dates18"=""
                                  "Dates19"=""
                                  "Dates20"=""
                                  "Dates21"=""
                                  "Dates22"=""
                                  "Dates23"=""
                                  "Dates24"=""

                                  [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\LDS Church\FamilySearch\Personal Ancestral File
                                  5\Ditto\GivenNames]
                                  "GivenNames0"=""
                                  "GivenNames1"=""
                                  "GivenNames2"=""
                                  "GivenNames3"=""
                                  "GivenNames4"=""
                                  "GivenNames5"=""
                                  "GivenNames6"=""
                                  "GivenNames7"=""
                                  "GivenNames8"=""
                                  "GivenNames9"=""
                                  "GivenNames10"=""
                                  "GivenNames11"=""
                                  "GivenNames12"=""
                                  "GivenNames13"=""
                                  "GivenNames14"=""
                                  "GivenNames15"=""
                                  "GivenNames16"=""
                                  "GivenNames17"=""
                                  "GivenNames18"=""
                                  "GivenNames19"=""
                                  "GivenNames20"=""
                                  "GivenNames21"=""
                                  "GivenNames22"=""
                                  "GivenNames23"=""
                                  "GivenNames24"=""

                                  [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\LDS Church\FamilySearch\Personal Ancestral File
                                  5\Ditto\Places]
                                  "Places0"=""
                                  "Places1"=""
                                  "Places2"=""
                                  "Places3"=""
                                  "Places4"=""
                                  "Places5"=""
                                  "Places6"=""
                                  "Places7"=""
                                  "Places8"=""
                                  "Places9"=""
                                  "Places10"=""
                                  "Places11"=""
                                  "Places12"=""
                                  "Places13"=""
                                  "Places14"=""
                                  "Places15"=""
                                  "Places16"=""
                                  "Places17"=""
                                  "Places18"=""
                                  "Places19"=""
                                  "Places20"=""
                                  "Places21"=""
                                  "Places22"=""
                                  "Places23"=""
                                  "Places24"=""

                                  [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\LDS Church\FamilySearch\Personal Ancestral File
                                  5\Ditto\Surnames]
                                  "Surnames0"=""
                                  "Surnames1"=""
                                  "Surnames2"=""
                                  "Surnames3"=""
                                  "Surnames4"=""
                                  "Surnames5"=""
                                  "Surnames6"=""
                                  "Surnames7"=""
                                  "Surnames8"=""
                                  "Surnames9"=""
                                  "Surnames10"=""
                                  "Surnames11"=""
                                  "Surnames12"=""
                                  "Surnames13"=""
                                  "Surnames14"=""
                                  "Surnames15"=""
                                  "Surnames16"=""
                                  "Surnames17"=""
                                  "Surnames18"=""
                                  "Surnames19"=""
                                  "Surnames20"=""
                                  "Surnames21"=""
                                  "Surnames22"=""
                                  "Surnames23"=""
                                  "Surnames24"=""

                                  [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\LDS Church\FamilySearch\Personal Ancestral File
                                  5\Folders]
                                  "Data"="C:\\Temp\\"
                                  "Export"="C:\\My Documents\\Gen\\ged\\"
                                  "Backup"="C:\\Temp\\"
                                  "Report"="C:\\Documents and Settings\\Roy\\Desktop\\"
                                  "Web"="C:\\Temp\\"

                                  [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\LDS Church\FamilySearch\Personal Ancestral File
                                  5\Font]
                                  "PedSized"="Arial Unicode MS;Normal;11pt"
                                  "Dialogs"="Arial Unicode MS;SemiBold;9pt"
                                  "NotesEdit"="Arial Unicode MS;Normal;9pt"
                                  "NotesRpt"="Arial Unicode MS;Normal;9pt"
                                  "PedHdrs"="Arial Unicode MS;Bold;8pt"
                                  "PedTitle"="Arial Unicode MS;Bold;20pt"
                                  "PedPrim"="Arial Unicode MS;Bold;9pt"
                                  "PedName"="Arial Unicode MS;Bold;9pt"
                                  "PedData"="Arial Unicode MS;Normal;8pt"
                                  "FgrTitle"="Arial Unicode MS;Bold;16pt"
                                  "FgrParent"="Arial Unicode MS;Bold;12pt"
                                  "FgrChild"="Arial Unicode MS;Bold;11pt"
                                  "FgrData"="Arial Unicode MS;Normal;9pt"
                                  "AncMain"="Arial Unicode MS;Bold;14pt"
                                  "AncGen"="Arial Unicode MS;Normal;11pt"
                                  "AncPrim"="Arial Unicode MS;Bold;10pt"
                                  "AncOther"="Arial Unicode MS;Normal;9pt"
                                  "DescMain"="Arial Unicode MS;Bold;14pt"
                                  "DescGen"="Arial Unicode MS;Normal;11pt"
                                  "DescPrim"="Arial Unicode MS;Bold;10pt"
                                  "DescOther"="Arial Unicode MS;Normal;9pt"
                                  "AncStdMain"="Arial Unicode MS;Bold;14pt"
                                  "AncStdPrim"="Arial Unicode MS;Bold;10pt"
                                  "AncStdOther"="Arial Unicode MS;Normal;9pt"
                                  "DescStdMain"="Arial Unicode MS;Bold;14pt"
                                  "DescStdPrim"="Arial Unicode MS;Bold;10pt"
                                  "DescStdOther"="Arial Unicode MS;Normal;9pt"
                                  "ScrapTitle"="Arial Unicode MS;Bold;14pt"
                                  "ScrapCaption"="Arial Unicode MS;Normal;10pt"
                                  "ScrapFN"="Arial Unicode MS;Normal;10pt"
                                  "ScrapDesc"="Arial Unicode MS;Normal;10pt"

                                  [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\LDS Church\FamilySearch\Personal Ancestral File
                                  5\IndividualView]
                                  "SortColumn"=dword:00000000

                                  [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\LDS Church\FamilySearch\Personal Ancestral File
                                  5\Multimedia]
                                  "SlideTime"=dword:00000014
                                  "SlideSize"=dword:00000000
                                  "SlideRatio"=dword:00000032
                                  "SlideColor"="0X0"
                                  "ScrapColor"="0XFFFFFF"
                                  "PPrevPH"=dword:00000000
                                  "ScaleType"=dword:00000001
                                  "FamvwPhoto"=dword:00000001

                                  [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\LDS Church\FamilySearch\Personal Ancestral File
                                  5\Note Tags]
                                  "Tag1"="All"
                                  "Tag2"="BIOGRAPHY:"
                                  "Tag3"="BIRTH:"
                                  "Tag4"="CHRISTENING:"
                                  "Tag5"="DEATH:"
                                  "Tag6"="BURIAL:"
                                  "Tag7"="MARRIAGE:"

                                  [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\LDS Church\FamilySearch\Personal Ancestral File
                                  5\Options]
                                  "ShowLDS"=dword:00000000
                                  "ShowLdsRpt"=dword:00000000
                                  "LanguageUI"="EN"
                                  "UseDescList"=dword:00000001
                                  "Backup"=dword:00000000
                                  "Trim"=dword:00000001
                                  "FPos"=dword:00000005
                                  "AppendVal"=dword:00000000
                                  "NoteTool"=dword:00000001
                                  "EditNote"=dword:00000000
                                  "SortDef"=dword:00000000
                                  "VerifyNew"=dword:00000000
                                  "CapSurname"=dword:00000001
                                  "UseFathersSurname"=dword:00000001
                                  "MarkSurname"=dword:00000001
                                  "CheckSurname"=dword:00000001
                                  "MarkType"=dword:00000000
                                  "EditMarr"=dword:00000001
                                  "Shading"=dword:00000001
                                  "AllowAfnEdit"=dword:00000000
                                  "CheckDups"=dword:00000001
                                  "FloaterOpt"=dword:00000001
                                  "SelectOpt"=dword:00000000
                                  "InfoTimeOut"=dword:000003e8
                                  "MatchType"=dword:00000000
                                  "MrgDOB"=dword:00000000
                                  "MrgIds"=dword:00000000
                                  "MrgMiddles"=dword:00000000
                                  "MrgNotes"=dword:00000001
                                  "MrgCitations"=dword:00000001
                                  "MrgMedia"=dword:00000001
                                  "MrgSurname"=dword:00000000
                                  "MrgParents"=dword:00000001
                                  "MrgYears"=dword:0000000a
                                  "MrgVerify"=dword:00000001
                                  "MrgAuto"=dword:00000000
                                  "FamReunType"=dword:00000001
                                  "FamReunAll"=dword:00000000
                                  "FamReunYr"=dword:000007c2
                                  "DefaultPictureString"="Aaa <<<d/d2 Mmm/Mmm2 yyyy/yyyy2>>> Aaa"

                                  [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\LDS Church\FamilySearch\Personal Ancestral File
                                  5\Recent File List]
                                  "File1"="C:\\Temp\\Royall.paf"
                                  "File2"="C:\\Temp\\temp\\temp.paf"
                                  "File3"="C:\\DOCUME~1\\Roy\\Desktop\\OLDDES~1\\Winifred.paf"

                                  [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\LDS Church\FamilySearch\Personal Ancestral File
                                  5\Reports]
                                  "Hide Shade"=dword:00000000

                                  [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\LDS Church\FamilySearch\Personal Ancestral File
                                  5\Search]
                                  "FilterResults"=dword:00000000

                                  [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\LDS Church\FamilySearch\Personal Ancestral File
                                  5\Settings]

                                  [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\LDS Church\FamilySearch\Personal Ancestral File
                                  5\Start Up]
                                  "Tried FamilyFile"=dword:00000001
                                  "Maximized"=dword:00000000
                                  "ViewType"=dword:00000000
                                  "ReturnAsTab"=dword:00000001
                                  "Window x"=dword:00000138
                                  "Window y"=dword:0000007d
                                  "Window cx"=dword:000003c0
                                  "Window cy"=dword:000002d2
                                  "FamilyFile"="C:\\Temp\\Royall.paf"

                                  [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\LDS Church\FamilySearch\Personal Ancestral File
                                  5\Submitter]
                                  "Name"="Roy Katschke"
                                  "Address1"="14413 NE 185th St"
                                  "Address2"="Battle Ground WA 98604"
                                  "Address3"=""
                                  "Address4"=""
                                  "Country"="USA"
                                  "Phone"="(360) 687-7818"
                                  "AFN"=""
                                  "Email"="rkatschke@..."

                                  [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\LDS Church\FamilySearch\Personal Ancestral File
                                  5\Templates]

                                  [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\LDS Church\FamilySearch\Personal Ancestral File
                                  5\Windows]
                                  "Individual MinWidth"=dword:00000000
                                  "Individual MinHeight"=dword:00000000
                                  "Individual left"=dword:000001bc
                                  "Individual top"=dword:00000164
                                  "Individual right"=dword:00000468
                                  "Individual bottom"=dword:00000392
                                • RussellHltn
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Oct 4, 2004
                                    What is guaranteed problematic is if the program installs some DLLs into the Windows directory.

                                    I'm sure there was a reason that MS moved from using INI files to the registry. There is also issues in that by default on new operating systems end "users" may not have the ability to edit any files in the Program Files directory or anything under it.

                                    Unfortunately many writer ignore that rule and that's why they have problems under secure systems.

                                    From: "Roy Katschke" <rkatschke@...>
                                    Date: 2004/10/04 Mon AM 10:40:55 HST
                                    To: <FHCNET@yahoogroups.com>
                                    Subject: RE: [FHCNET] Re: USB jump drives at FHL

                                    Message 17 of 23 , Oct 4, 2004
                                      Just a thought. I copied PAF for Macintosh on my jump drive in the hope
                                      that I can still open the files when the program becomes obsolete.
                                      Haven't tried it on another Mac yet, though.

                                      Maxine in NW Kansas