RE: [FHCNET] MyTrees Discontinues Free FHC Access

  • Russell Houlton
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 30, 2003
      Before doing that, I'd check with MyTrees to make sure that they will
      allow/support that. The original message seems to indicate they allow
      individual accounts. It's not clear if they are discontinuing "free FHC" or
      if they had to discontinue all "group" accounts.

      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 1, 2003
        I have been in contact with a representative at MyTrees.com about the issue. It seems that there are two problems:

        1. The accounts set up for family history centers and the conflict with personal accounts;
        2. There were a few calls to the MyTrees customer service office from certain family history center staff members that were far more rude and demanding than was necessary. (I was not given a list of the certain centers that were in this group.)

        The decision at MyTrees was to disable all library and family history center accounts. MyTrees will be sending out notices to all family history centers with MyTrees.com accounts about the change in their access. Access to the website and databases will now be through standard subscription options. There is no indication if the free service will be available in the future to family history centers.

        If there are questions about this decision, please address your comments to the MyTrees customer service desk at feedback@....

        Mike Provard
        Family History Center Support
        provardmr@...

      • Russell Houlton
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 1, 2003
          >>> I have been in contact with a representative at MyTrees.com about the
          issue. It seems that there are two problems: <<<

          Thanks for cutting to the heart of the matter and going to the source. I
          wish they could have found a better way of dealing with the rude centers
          then to cut them all off. But it does sound like they had some technical
          issues with library accounts.