GEDmark prg

  • Lewis Family
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 1, 2003
      I just saw at Progeny.com that they are offering a free download of GEDmark. You may be interested.
      Lori Lewis,
      Georgia

    • Margaret M. Harris
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 1, 2003
        Thanks.
        Margaret
        I just saw at Progeny.com that they are offering a free download of GEDmark. You may be interested.
        Lori Lewis,
        Georgia

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        or send blank email to FHCNET-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

        ---

      • Margaret M. Harris
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 1, 2003
          That link is http://www.progenysoftware.com/gedmark.html.

          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 2, 2003
            Ummm, I think I missed a message -- what does gedmark *do*?

            Cheryl

            At 04:18 PM 08/01/2003 -0500, you wrote:
            >That link is http://www.progenysoftware.com/gedmark.html.

          • Margaret M. Harris
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 2, 2003
              Gedmark is a program, and I'm not a super authority on this, as I have just
              downloaded it, that allows you to share and upload gedcom files and have
              your "authorship"/ identity on each and every source page or whatever. No
              one will be able to pass along that file or parts of that gedcom without
              your name being listed as the researcher/ author. And, I believe that when
              you download a gedcom, you can also put an id on it as to where it came
              from.
              Margaret M. Harris
              http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~hillancestors/
              http://www.ancestor-avenue.com

            • terryann2@aol.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 3, 2003
                GEDmark allows you to tag every person in your GEDCOM file with your name,
                address, etc. This helps others remember where their source of information came
                from and gives you credit for the work you did. To read more:

                <A HREF="http://www.progenysoftware.com/gedmark.html">http://www.progenysoftware.com/gedmark.html</A>

                Terry
                <A HREF="www.Matson.info">www.Matson.info</A>

                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 3, 2003
                  Thanks.

                  Cheryl

                  At 07:53 AM 08/03/2003 EDT, you wrote:
                  >GEDmark allows you to tag every person in your GEDCOM file with your name,
                  >address, etc. This helps others remember where their source of information
                  came
                  >from and gives you credit for the work you did. To read more:
                  >
                  ><A
                  HREF="http://www.progenysoftware.com/gedmark.html">http://www.progenysoftwar
                  e.com/gedmark.html</A>

                  >Terry
                  ><A HREF="www.Matson.info">www.Matson.info</A>
                  >
                  >In a message dated 8/3/2003 2:36:23 AM Central Daylight Time,
                  >FHCNET@yahoogroups.com writes:
                  >
                  >> From: singhals <singhals@...>
                  >> Subject: Re: GEDmark prg
                  >>
                  >> Ummm, I think I missed a message -- what does gedmark *do*?
                  >>
                  >> Cheryl
                • Gary Templeman
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 3, 2003
                    Their site says, "On the other hand, when a GEDCOM file is processed through
                    GEDmark, a source is attached to every person in the GEDCOM file, indicating
                    your author information. You can enter as much information about yourself as
                    you would like, including name, address, telephone number, email, web site
                    and additional comments. This way, no matter how many times the GEDCOM file
                    is split, imported, exported or submitted, your authorship of the research
                    is protected."

                    I am assuming however that when exporting, if you de-select the options to
                    include the submitter and sources that the GEDmarks will be stripped from
                    the resulting GEDCOM file. In that case the protection still depends on the
                    integrity of the person creating the GEDCOM. Can anyone confirm or deny
                    that assumption?

                    Even if it will not foil the truly unscrupulous, it sounds like a good thing
                    for the general sharing of information.

                    Gary Templeman

                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 4, 2003
                      I havea DOS app that claims to do most of that. Darn if I can ever get it
                      TO do it, though. I pick all the options, and hit ENTER, wait for quite a
                      while and then it says DONE! and the GED is unchanged.

                      One hopes this one works better than that?

                      Cheryl