sources

  • Marlene Roberts
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 23, 2013
      I am a FH Consultant and I teach FT to staff and patrons. My latest teaching is researching/sources.  We are able to attatch sources through FT to our ancestors, but how do I attatch sources to my ancestors in FT through ancestry.com, ancestral file, pedigree resource, google, or anything outside of FT?  Any help would be so appreciated.
      Marlene Roberts
      Bluebell, Utah
    • Judy Olsen
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 23, 2013
        Great free tool that let's you attach sources from websites. It works very similar to the way the source feature does in FamilyTree.
        Judy

        Sent from my iPhone
        Judy

        On Oct 23, 2013, at 6:45 AM, "Marlene Roberts" <mar84007@...> wrote:

        I am a FH Consultant and I teach FT to staff and patrons. My latest teaching is researching/sources.  We are able to attatch sources through FT to our ancestors, but how do I attatch sources to my ancestors in FT through ancestry.com, ancestral file, pedigree resource, google, or anything outside of FT?  Any help would be so appreciated.
        Marlene Roberts
        Bluebell, Utah

      • Pat Wagley
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 23, 2013
          I use Tree Connect http://recordseek.com/  I highlight, copy and paste the document information into the "Describe the Record (Notes)" box.  If I don't have that particular record in my Legacy Family Tree file I copy it there also.

          Pat

          I am a FH Consultant and I teach FT to staff and patrons. My latest teaching is researching/sources.  We are able to attatch sources through FT to our ancestors, but how do I attatch sources to my ancestors in FT through ancestry.com, ancestral file, pedigree resource, google, or anything outside of FT?  Any help would be so appreciated.
          Marlene Roberts
          Bluebell, Utah

          _,_._,___
        • Paul Walworth
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 23, 2013
            The only one I can tell you about is Roots Magic 6.  It is quite simple when searching for the Sources [within Roots Magic 6] it will provide the same hyperlink you find when you use FT.  You will most likely will need to sign in each time.  You may even have to type in the ID# to attach the records.  As this program is so easy I have never tried to use other programs so far.

            Paul
            in Texas

            On Wednesday, October 23, 2013 8:06 AM, Judy Olsen <jabolsen@...> wrote:

            Great free tool that let's you attach sources from websites. It works very similar to the way the source feature does in FamilyTree.
            Judy

            Sent from my iPhone
            Judy

            On Oct 23, 2013, at 6:45 AM, "Marlene Roberts" <mar84007@...> wrote:

            I am a FH Consultant and I teach FT to staff and patrons. My latest teaching is researching/sources.  We are able to attatch sources through FT to our ancestors, but how do I attatch sources to my ancestors in FT through ancestry.com, ancestral file, pedigree resource, google, or anything outside of FT?  Any help would be so appreciated.
            Marlene Roberts
            Bluebell, Utah

          • Margaret Thompson
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 23, 2013
              If you use Ancestral Quest as a database you can click on the briefcase icon in the person view to move sources into FT. As easy as a couple of clicks. RecordSeek.com is great for the internet sources you mentioned.

              Margaret

              Sent: Wednesday, October 23, 2013 6:45 AM
              To: FHCNET
              Subject: [FHCNET] sources

              I am a FH Consultant and I teach FT to staff and patrons. My latest teaching is researching/sources.  We are able to attatch sources through FT to our ancestors, but how do I attatch sources to my ancestors in FT through ancestry.com, ancestral file, pedigree resource, google, or anything outside of FT?  Any help would be so appreciated.
              Marlene Roberts
              Bluebell, Utah
            • Glen Tolman
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 23, 2013
                There is an option that I use that doesn't require use of any third party software.  I use the "Create Source" option on FamilyTree and then include the following.
                1. Title the document - for example  1900 US Census - John Doe Family
                2. Copy and paste in the URL for the internet source is available such as the link for a source on Ancestry.com.
                3. Copy and paste the actual source information such as the "Source Citation" and "Source Information" from Ancestry.com
                4. Copy and paste information from the actual record.  For a census record, I copy all those showing on the census record with names and ages.  I also add gender and birthplace.  The final result looks a lot like the census information that shows on those sources from Family Search for 1900 and later US census records.

                With this information, an individual can see the content of the source.  If for example, the source came from ancestry.com, they can see all the detail in the source itself.  If they have access or go to a library with access the ancestry.com, they can access the actual record.

                Here is an example of a source that I created from Ancestry.com.  Most of this was added with copy and paste.  I added the birthplace information which was taken from the census record.

                Citation
                Source Citation: Class: RG14; Piece: 30269. Source Information: Ancestry.com. 1911 England Census [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2011. Original data: Census Returns of England and Wales, 1911. Kew, Surrey, England: The National Archives of the UK (TNA), 1911.Notes
                Household Members: Shows 5 living children and 1 deceased Name Age Birth Place Forster Angus 33 South Shields, Durham Jenny Angus 31 Bishop Auckland Mary Elizabeth Angus 10 South Shields, Durham Jenny Angus 7 South Shields, Durham Florence Angus 5 South Shields, Durham Forster Angus 3 South Shields, Durham Ethel May Angus 1 South Shields, Durham

                On Wednesday, October 23, 2013 9:44 AM, Pat Wagley <patriciawagley@...> wrote:

                I use Tree Connect http://recordseek.com/  I highlight, copy and paste the document information into the "Describe the Record (Notes)" box.  If I don't have that particular record in my Legacy Family Tree file I copy it there also.

                Pat
                I am a FH Consultant and I teach FT to staff and patrons. My latest teaching is researching/sources.  We are able to attatch sources through FT to our ancestors, but how do I attatch sources to my ancestors in FT through ancestry.com, ancestral file, pedigree resource, google, or anything outside of FT?  Any help would be so appreciated.
                Marlene Roberts
                Bluebell, Utah

                _,_._,___

              • gen2colorado
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 23, 2013
                  If you use Tree connect with Ancestry.com  do you have to have a subscription to look at it?  If someone else were to try and look at it and they don't have ancestry.com what happens?

                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 23, 2013

                     I don't know for sure, my best guess is that perhaps they would have to have a sub. to Ancestry.

                    This is one of the reasons I copy and past the information from the record into the "Describe the Record" box on Tree Connect...besides, when you attach a link to FS Family Tree from outside of FamilySearch there is always the possibility that in the future the link could become useless for one reason or another...if it does you still have the copied/paste record.

                    Pat

                    If you use Tree connect with Ancestry.com  do you have to have a subscription to look at it?  If someone else were to try and look at it and they don't have ancestry.com what happens?

                    >>I use Tree Connect
                    href="http://recordseek.com/" target=_blank>http://recordseek.com/  I highlight, copy and paste the document information into the "Describe the Record (Notes)" box.  If I don't have that particular record in my Legacy Family Tree file I copy it there also.

                    Pat

                    I am a FH Consultant and I teach FT to staff and patrons. My latest teaching is researching/sources.  We are able to attatch sources through FT to our ancestors, but how do I attatch sources to my ancestors in FT through ancestry.com, ancestral file, pedigree resource, google, or anything outside of FT?  Any help would be so appreciated.
                    Marlene Roberts
                    Bluebell, Utah

                    .

                  • JEB
                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 23, 2013

                      If you are using “Tree Connect” with ancestry.com the source link created is a “Recordseek” link and not an ancestry.com link.  Thus anyone can see it and doesn’t need an ancestry.com subscription.  The “Tree Connect” option is a good one.

                      John Burton

                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 23, 2013

                        Opps – I was wrong!  Sorry about that.  I was confused over using ancestry.com in a Family Search Library as opposed to when you have an ancestry.com account.

                        John

                        If you are using “Tree Connect” with ancestry.com the source link created is a “Recordseek” link and not an ancestry.com link.  Thus anyone can see it and doesn’t need an ancestry.com subscription.  The “Tree Connect” option is a good one.

                        John Burton

                         I don't know for sure, my best guess is that perhaps they would have to have a sub. to Ancestry.

                        This is one of the reasons I copy and past the information from the record into the "Describe the Record" box on Tree Connect...besides, when you attach a link to FS Family Tree from outside of FamilySearch there is always the possibility that in the future the link could become useless for one reason or another...if it does you still have the copied/paste record.

                        Pat

                        If you use Tree connect with Ancestry.com  do you have to have a subscription to look at it?  If someone else were to try and look at it and they don't have ancestry.com what happens?

                        >>I use Tree Connect http://recordseek.com/  I highlight, copy and paste the document information into the "Describe the Record (Notes)" box.  If I don't have that particular record in my Legacy Family Tree file I copy it there also.

                        Pat

                        I am a FH Consultant and I teach FT to staff and patrons. My latest teaching is researching/sources.  We are able to attatch sources through FT to our ancestors, but how do I attatch sources to my ancestors in FT through ancestry.com, ancestral file, pedigree resource, google, or anything outside of FT?  Any help would be so appreciated.

                        Marlene Roberts

                        Bluebell, Utah

                        .

                      • William Rigtrup
                        Message 11 of 11 , Oct 23, 2013
                          one additional comment.  it was announced just last week an agreement between family search and ancestry.com that would allow members to view sources which until recently you have had to have an ancestry.com account to view.  ie. 1930 census plus a number of other things which until now you have had to have an account to do.  This has not been completely hashed out but my understanding is that sources added to the Family Tree would be view able by anyone with a family tree account.

                          --
                          Carl Rigtrup
                          425 271-1614