Data Sources for new.FS & FS FT

  • gpford5
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 12, 2013
      When Family Tree was beginning I remember reading about the history of the various data sources that were moved into nFS/FT, such as IGI, Ancestral File, and so forth, including their value and limitations. Does anyone know where I can find that information?

      For purposes of teaching classes in our center and for our staff I feel it is helpful to know from where the information came that many of us are seeing when we look at our Trees, or search for family members, or wrestle with duplicates.

    • Deanne Moore
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 12, 2013
        Here is where to find information about the Pedigree Resource File:

        The IGI can be accessed from the "Search" tab at the top of FamilySearch home page:

        This link is a good place to start when looking for specific files:

        Hope this helps your search!!!!

        On Sat, Oct 12, 2013 at 7:22 AM, <gpford5@...> wrote:

        When Family Tree was beginning I remember reading about the history of the various data sources that were moved into nFS/FT, such as IGI, Ancestral File, and so forth, including their value and limitations. Does anyone know where I can find that information?

        For purposes of teaching classes in our center and for our staff I feel it is helpful to know from where the information came that many of us are seeing when we look at our Trees, or search for family members, or wrestle with duplicates.

      • regivens
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 13, 2013

          It took some hunting in the help center at FamilySearch but there is a document #  1028441 which I will paste here:

          Using the FamilySearch Family Tree: A Reference Guide (29 May 2013)

          Where the Information in Family Tree Came From

          Several different databases of information were combined to create new.FamilySearch.org. That information was then added to the FamilySearch Family Tree.

          The information originally came from the following systems:
          • Other systems to which people contributed family history information, including information in Ancestral File, the Pedigree Resource File, and the International Genealogical Index.
          • Information that was obtained through the Family Record Extraction and Stake Record Extraction programs that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints operated in the past.

            You cannot correct records that were obtained through extraction projects.

            Note: Information obtained through the FamilySearch indexing program is not added to the new FamilySearch website or Family Tree. This information is made available through the FamilySearch.org website instead. To search these records, go to http://www.familysearch.org.

          Many changes have been made in both versions of the database.

          Interestingly the above document fails to note that Family Tree also inculdes the Membership records of the Church. So the main groups of data are:

          1. Ancestral File - not a great source but provided a backbone for the pedigree in Tree.

          2. Pedigree Resource File - also added to get the pedigree in Tree going - but added more duplication.

          3. IGI - (divided now into Record Extraction resources and Family Extraction resources) individual records that had/have to be merged into the tree as they are stand alone records and have to be linked to the pedigree..

          4. Extraction Records - that were not part of the IGI - again stand alone single records.  Good data but has to be linked to the pedigree.

          5. LDS membership records

          6. GEDCOMS submitted to nFS after it was started.

          ---In fhcnet@yahoogroups.com, <deannemoore1@...> wrote:

          Here is where to find information about the Pedigree Resource File:

          The IGI can be accessed from the "Search" tab at the top of FamilySearch home page:

          This link is a good place to start when looking for specific files:

          Hope this helps your search!!!!

          On Sat, Oct 12, 2013 at 7:22 AM, <gpford5@...> wrote:

          When Family Tree was beginning I remember reading about the history of the various data sources that were moved into nFS/FT, such as IGI, Ancestral File, and so forth, including their value and limitations. Does anyone know where I can find that information?

          For purposes of teaching classes in our center and for our staff I feel it is helpful to know from where the information came that many of us are seeing when we look at our Trees, or search for family members, or wrestle with duplicates.

        • Margaret-fh Thompson
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 13, 2013
            I haven't looked for the documentation but if I remember right when the data was migrated from nFS to FT they removed the data that originated from Ancestral File and Pedigree Resource File and put them in the "Genealogies" section as a separate searchable entity.

            Margaret

            To: FHCNET@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 13, 2013
              Margaret, you are right! Genealogies (one of the tabs under search) is a super easy way to find those files!!! All the tools are still there for us if we could only remember where to look....we need the memories of all of us combined :=)
              Deanne

              To: FHCNET@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 14, 2013
                Thanks to all. This is the heart of what I was looking for.

                Greg Ford
                Hm: 801-789-8833
                Cell: 801-472-7436

              • Venita

                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 14, 2013
                    You can search the IGI as part of FamilySearch historical records, but about 98% of the time I've been able to locate a corresponding record in Family Tree. I would be very surprised if AF/PRF data was removed from Family Tree--I don't know how that could safely be done. Ordinances were performed for many, if not most, of those names. But I'd be interested to get the official word from someone at FamilySearch.

                    Also, another major source of data in both nFS and FT is individual user contributed data--not just GEDCOMS.

                    Kathryn
                  • Paul Walworth