Favorite Under-Utilized Features of FamilySearch.org?

  • Lise Embley
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 27 8:32 PM

      Quick!  What features/functions do you use most frequently at FamilySearch.org?  What cool features are people (in your experience) LEAST likely to know about?

      I’m looking for search tips, little-known features, under-utilized features, cool hacks, and that kind of thing for a “30 tips in 30 minutes” presentation.  I have my own favorites, but would appreciate hearing yours!

      Lise
      Williamsburg, VA

    • Leslie Vaughn
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 27 8:39 PM
        In addition to searching for people, I like that many records are on familysearch that are not yet indexed.  I have found quite a few records by browsing them, using way points to find documents that will probably not be indexed for some time.

        I also like the wiki and other videos and helps.

        Leslie Vaughn

        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 28 12:05 AM
          Filtering results, using wildcards in searches (I was just looking for a family called WILCOX in a census and when I couldn't find them, I tried WIL*COX and found them indexed as WILSCOX), browsing unindexed records, the help centre, and the wiki.

          To: FHCNET@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 28 7:01 AM
            Lise,

            Here are a few thoughts.

            The ability to save bookmarks to people in nFS was really nice. We can still do it in FT, but the History lists now in FT make it super-easy to return to a place I was working in the FT.

            In the photos area, I sometimes like to include photos of family homes, maps, etc. too. Not all of the photos that are important to a person's history are photos of them.

            I expect the ability to upload source documents to arrive soon. In the meantime can add scanned documents to the Photos area and use the URL of the document in Sources.
            FamilySearch URLs are permanent. Often in the past I have referenced a URL that disappeared.

            In Records, I find it helpful to use family relationships, places of residence, as well as dates and places of events when I am doing searches. But I also do general searches.

            In FT, the Help Others feature was changed yesterday to allow using name and date of birth (or their User Name) to sign-in. Apparently people could not remember their Contact Name.

            The Add New Story feature times out in 20 minutes without warning. If it might take longer than 10 minutes to write the story, write it in your word processor (where you can take as long as you want) and then copy and paste it into the website.

            On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 9:32 PM, Lise Embley <lise.embley@...> wrote:

            Quick!  What features/functions do you use most frequently at FamilySearch.org?  What cool features are people (in your experience) LEAST likely to know about?

            I’m looking for search tips, little-known features, under-utilized features, cool hacks, and that kind of thing for a “30 tips in 30 minutes” presentation.  I have my own favorites, but would appreciate hearing yours!

            Lise
            Williamsburg, VA

          • Paul Walworth
            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 28 7:30 AM
              Bill,

              I no longer see the history lists.  Have they moved it to another location?

              Paul
              in Texas

              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 28 8:57 AM
                Paul,
                There are now 2 history lists. Look for the drop-down lists:
                To the right of Tree
                To the right of Person

                One takes you to the individual's Tree view and the other takes you to their Person page.
                Both lists give quick access to the 50 individuals you have most recently accessed.
                (These are disabled when signed in as a Helper.)

                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 28 12:22 PM
                  I like the "Search Records" option on the Person view.  I use this frequently when finding sources for my ancestors already on Family Tree and easily attaching these sources to the ancestor's information on Family Tree.
                  Glen

                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 28 1:52 PM
                    I've found "parent searches" helpful when you're trying to find all the children of a couple: On the first line of the search form, complete only the last name. Then complete the birth place, a date range for all the children, then the parents' names. If some or all of the children have been extracted or indexed in a certain locality, they'll show up with this type of search.

                    Kathryn
                  • Sylvia H. Sonneborn
                    Message 9 of 16 , Sep 29 5:37 AM

                      Question: Quick!  What features/functions do you use most frequently at FamilySearch.org?

                      I like the preview down-arrow at the end of a source in FamilySearch.

                      Sylvia

                      .

                    • Darlene Kopta
                      Message 10 of 16 , Sep 30 4:42 PM
                        I like the Tree feature to the left of the person tab on the card that pops up when you click on an ancestor's name on your tree. When you click on Tree it makes them the first person on your tree.  This is useful when you're working a ways back and don't want to have to scroll back to that ancestor each time you change screens while working.

                        Darlene in TX

                        ps: Lise - when you come up with the list would you mind sharing it?

                        Message 11 of 16 , Sep 30 9:28 PM
                          Darlene,

                          Yes! I found this by accident at first.  I did not like starting all over each time I clicked on pedigree.  So I sent Support an email but went back and clicked on tree just to see and found out this is the way to stay where I was so I again had to send them an email telling them I also found this easy way to stay with that person and their ancestors.

                          I am glad they keep adding new updates making it so much easier to work.  Has anyone seen where the hyperlink for our research history went to?

                          Paul
                          in Texas

                          Message 12 of 16 , Oct 1, 2013

                            In the Family Tree view, in the upper left is the “Person” icon with a pull-down symbol that will give the history of the persons you have worked on.

                            Travis

                            Message 13 of 16 , Oct 1, 2013
                              Travis,

                              Thank you I knew it was somewhere but forgot where.
                              That is a very handy tool, looks like I do not use it enough to remember where they placed that fine bit of history search.

                              Paul
                              in Texas

                              Message 14 of 16 , Oct 1, 2013

                                I am not finding this feature.  Are you talking about the ability to rearrange the sources?

                                Travis

                                Message 15 of 16 , Oct 1, 2013
                                  Travis,

                                  I think it is referring to the Preview down arrow in the search results in Historical Records. (I tend to right-click to open the record in a new tab, instead of using this option. It doesn't limit you to a preview.)

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Oct 1, 2013

                                    Travis,

                                    Go to FamilySearch (not Family Tree) and do a search using your ancestor’s name. When the records/sources open up, on the right-hand side, there is a down arrow that says “Preview” above it. Click on that arrow to see a quick preview/summary of the record. In other words, you don’t have to click the name open; instead it will open with a summary preview for viewing to see if it’s your ancestor.

                                    Sylvia