AncQuest not synching source infl

  • Lois Casson
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 20 8:03 AM
      Good morning,

      AQ has announced a Beta version that will now sync sources. It does work
      for those who have source files set up but not for those who keep source
      info in notes,

      As Gaylon Findlay put it, FamilyTree has not made things easy. In nFS
      you could only add info from Notes. People who couldn't add data from
      Sources weren't happy. Some switched to keeping sources in notes. Now
      people who did that will not be well pleased.

      I also had a problem loading all source info but was advised to let
      mouse hover over an entry and the ability to transfer that data will
      come on. Haven't tried that yet.

      The good news is that at some future date the notes function will be
      added to Tree.

      Like everything else, we must remain "patient" during this transition. ☺

      Lois Casson
    • Venita

            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 23 10:30 AM
              We just released a new 'build' of Ancestral Quest 14 over the weekend, which now allows a user to exchange sources between Family Tree and their personal database (whether it is a PAF file or an AQ file).

              This is available to all users on their own computers, and on FHC computers as soon as those with responsibility to update those computers do so.

              AQ will show you which events in Family Tree are tagged with a source, and allow you to move that source to your own file, and visa versa. We will release another build soon with additional options for managing sources.

              AQ is introducing a new concept with sources in Family Tree. We felt that it is important that certain parts of a source record are identified, such as the title, author, publication facts, repository, etc. Family Tree does not provide a means to identify these parts of a source. When you upload a source to Family Tree from AQ, you will be given the option to send these details, so that another user of a personal family tree program (PFT) will be able to download these details and reconstruct a proper source record. We hope that the community finds this useful.

              Gaylon Findlay
              Incline Software

              --- In FHCNET@yahoogroups.com, Venita <venitar@...> wrote:

              > Lois, has Gaylon changed the source format in AQ to match FT? I'm hoping AG, RM, and Legacy will all do that. It would sure make it easier for users to source their personal data, and to upload sources to FT.
              >
              > Venita
              >
              > On Sep 20, 2013, at 9:03 AM, Lois Casson <lcasson@...> wrote:
              >
              > > Good morning,
              > >
              > > AQ has announced a Beta version that will now sync sources. It does work
              > > for those who have source files set up but not for those who keep source
              > > info in notes,
              > >
              > > As Gaylon Findlay put it, FamilyTree has not made things easy. In nFS
              > > you could only add info from Notes. People who couldn't add data from
              > > Sources weren't happy. Some switched to keeping sources in notes. Now
              > > people who did that will not be well pleased.
              > >
              > > I also had a problem loading all source info but was advised to let
              > > mouse hover over an entry and the ability to transfer that data will
              > > come on. Haven't tried that yet.
              > >
              > > The good news is that at some future date the notes function will be
              > > added to Tree.
              > >
              > > Like everything else, we must remain "patient" during this transition. ☺
              > >
              > > Lois Casson

            • Venita
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 23 10:55 AM
                Good thinking, Gaylon.  I hope you also made your source template less complicated, so it will be used by your average customer.

                Venita

                PS:   I'm a Mac user, so I don't use your product on my computer,  but I have become very familiar with it from my years of teaching family history using a PC.  I no longer teach, so I haven't seen your latest update.

                On Sep 23, 2013, at 11:30 AM, gfindlay@... wrote:

                We just released a new 'build' of Ancestral Quest 14 over the weekend, which now allows a user to exchange sources between Family Tree and their personal database (whether it is a PAF file or an AQ file).

                This is available to all users on their own computers, and on FHC computers as soon as those with responsibility to update those computers do so.

                AQ will show you which events in Family Tree are tagged with a source, and allow you to move that source to your own file, and visa versa. We will release another build soon with additional options for managing sources.

                AQ is introducing a new concept with sources in Family Tree. We felt that it is important that certain parts of a source record are identified, such as the title, author, publication facts, repository, etc. Family Tree does not provide a means to identify these parts of a source. When you upload a source to Family Tree from AQ, you will be given the option to send these details, so that another user of a personal family tree program (PFT) will be able to download these details and reconstruct a proper source record. We hope that the community finds this useful.

                Gaylon Findlay
                Incline Software

                --- In FHCNET@yahoogroups.com, Venita <venitar@...> wrote:

                > Lois, has Gaylon changed the source format in AQ to match FT? I'm hoping AG, RM, and Legacy will all do that. It would sure make it easier for users to source their personal data, and to upload sources to FT.
                >
                > Venita
                >
                > On Sep 20, 2013, at 9:03 AM, Lois Casson <lcasson@...> wrote:
                >
                > > Good morning,
                > >
                > > AQ has announced a Beta version that will now sync sources. It does work
                > > for those who have source files set up but not for those who keep source
                > > info in notes,
                > >
                > > As Gaylon Findlay put it, FamilyTree has not made things easy. In nFS
                > > you could only add info from Notes. People who couldn't add data from
                > > Sources weren't happy. Some switched to keeping sources in notes. Now
                > > people who did that will not be well pleased.
                > >
                > > I also had a problem loading all source info but was advised to let
                > > mouse hover over an entry and the ability to transfer that data will
                > > come on. Haven't tried that yet.
                > >
                > > The good news is that at some future date the notes function will be
                > > added to Tree.
                > >
                > > Like everything else, we must remain "patient" during this transition. ☺
                > >
                > > Lois Casson

              • tmason1
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 24 8:27 PM

                  Is it wise to put our sources into Family Tree at this time?

                  Family Tree does not yet allow us to TAG each source to the data in Family Tree. So far Family Tree only allows tags to the [VITAL INFORMATION] fields.

                  A large variety of other [ADD] field of data can be created in [OTHER INFORMATION] but none of them can at this time have sources TAGGED to them.

                  Gaylon Findlay states that the SOURCE entry fields in Family Tree do not easily synchronize with fields found in personal software programs. That is an understatement. It is refreshing to hear a programmer state that the source entry fields of Family Tree seem to lack compatibility with something that we have all historically used.

                  One major thing that is still not being provided in Family Tree is a place where patrons can place scanned images of source documents. There are places for "Photos" and "Stories" but none for images of source documents.

                  Also, doesn't it seem that until all source information is transferred from new.FamilySearch into Family Tree, that we are being premature in synchronizing our personal records at this time?

                  Terry Mason
                  Clermont FL