Re: [FHCNET] Findagrave.com

  • DL Melville
    Message 1 of 28 , Sep 3, 2013
      I have had instances where there is a headstone in more than one cemetery.  The cremains are buried in both cemeteries with headstones for each.

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 28 , Sep 4, 2013

        Certainly having multiple sources is part of the answer to the dilemma of making our records accurate.

        However, how does one go about making the record on FindaGrave more accurate? We can write the person who "owns" the entry, but there is no way to dispute nor discuss the inaccuracy.

        The advantage in Family Search - Family Tree is that there is a way to discuss sources and eventually come to some kind of conclusion but even in FS - Family Tree, how often do contributors really review the sources and discuss the conclusions?

        One of the hopes of the engineers is that Family Tree would be a place where collaboration would take place, but when it was rolled out the fields for source data entry and commentaries about them is so encrypted that it seems to have defeated the purpose.

        The purpose according to the First Presidency admonition written in 1995 is that members should assure the accuracy of a person's identity before doing their temple ordinances.

        What will it take to prepare a record worthy of acceptation to the Lord?

        Terry Mason

        Clermont FL

        --- In FHCNET@yahoogroups.com, <RussellHltn> wrote:

        But what was transcribed may have come from something more accurate than the headstone. It all comes down to sources. None are infallible.
        Message 3 of 28 , Sep 4, 2013
          One can always add a memorial for the same person but with
          the correct info.

          Cheryl

          tmason1@... wrote:
          > Certainly having multiple sources is part of the answer to
          > the dilemma of making our records accurate.
          >
          > However, how does one go about making the record on
          > FindaGrave more accurate? We can write the person who "owns"
          > the entry, but there is no way to dispute nor discuss the
          > inaccuracy.
          >
          > The advantage in Family Search - Family Tree is that there
          > is a way to discuss sources and eventually come to some kind
          > of conclusion but even in FS - Family Tree, how often do
          > contributors really review the sources and discuss the
          > conclusions?
          >
          > One of the hopes of the engineers is that Family Tree would
          > be a place where collaboration would take place, but when it
          > was rolled out the fields for source data entry and
          > commentaries about them is so encrypted that it seems to
          > have defeated the purpose.
          >
          > The purpose according to the First Presidency admonition
          > written in 1995 is that members should assure the accuracy
          > of a person's identity before doing their temple ordinances.
          >
          > What will it take to prepare a record worthy of acceptation
          > to the Lord?
          >
          > Terry Mason
          >
          > Clermont FL
          >

          > --- In FHCNET@yahoogroups.com, <RussellHltn> wrote:
          >
          > But what was transcribed may have come from something more
          > accurate than the headstone. It all comes down to sources.
          > None are infallible.
        • Paul Walworth
          Message 4 of 28 , Sep 4, 2013
            I have always gotten an answer as unless they have died they will respond.  At least this has been my experience with this website.
            Paul
            in Texas

            tmason1@... wrote:
            > Certainly having multiple sources is part of the answer to
            > the dilemma of making our records accurate.
            >
            > However, how does one go about making the record on
            > FindaGrave more accurate? We can write the person who "owns"
            > the entry, but there is no way to dispute nor discuss the
            > inaccuracy.
            >
            > The advantage in Family Search - Family Tree is that there
            > is a way to discuss sources and eventually come to some kind
            > of conclusion but even in FS - Family Tree, how often do
            > contributors really review the sources and discuss the
            > conclusions?
            >
            > One of the hopes of the engineers is that Family Tree would
            > be a place where collaboration would take place, but when it
            > was rolled out the fields for source data entry
            and
            > commentaries about them is so encrypted that it seems to
            > have defeated the purpose.
            >
            > The purpose according to the First Presidency admonition
            > written in 1995 is that members should assure the accuracy
            > of a person's identity before doing their temple ordinances.
            >
            > What will it take to prepare a record worthy of acceptation
            > to the Lord?
            >
            > Terry Mason
            >
            > Clermont FL
            >

            > --- In FHCNET@yahoogroups.com, <RussellHltn> wrote:
            >
            > But what was transcribed may have come from something more
            > accurate than the headstone. It all comes down to sources.
            > None are infallible.

          • Russell Hltn
            Message 5 of 28 , Sep 4, 2013

              Intentional duplication is a no-no and can get you banned.  If the memorial manger doesn't respond or correct in 30 days, then send it to "edit" at Find a Grave.  They'll fix it - eventually.

              tmason1@... wrote:
              > Certainly having multiple sources is part of the answer to
              > the dilemma of making our records accurate.
              >
              > However, how does one go about making the record on
              > FindaGrave more accurate? We can write the person who "owns"
              > the entry, but there is no way to dispute nor discuss the
              > inaccuracy.
              >
              > The advantage in Family Search - Family Tree is that there
              > is a way to discuss sources and eventually come to some kind
              > of conclusion but even in FS - Family Tree, how often do
              > contributors really review the sources and discuss the
              > conclusions?
              >
              > One of the hopes of the engineers is that Family Tree would
              > be a place where collaboration would take place, but when it
              > was rolled out the fields for source data entry and
              > commentaries about them is so encrypted that it seems to
              > have defeated the purpose.
              >
              > The purpose according to the First Presidency admonition
              > written in 1995 is that members should assure the accuracy
              > of a person's identity before doing their temple ordinances.
              >
              > What will it take to prepare a record worthy of acceptation
              > to the Lord?
              >
              > Terry Mason
              >
              > Clermont FL
              >

              > --- In FHCNET@yahoogroups.com, <RussellHltn> wrote:
              >
              > But what was transcribed may have come from something more
              > accurate than the headstone. It all comes down to sources.
              > None are infallible.

              <*> Your email settings:
                  Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to:
                  (Yahoo! ID required)

              <*> To change settings via email:
                  FHCNET-digest@yahoogroups.com
                  FHCNET-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            • Joan Raney
              Message 6 of 28 , Sep 4, 2013
                Russell Hltn wrote:
                Intentional duplication is a no-no and can get you banned.  If the memorial manger doesn't respond or correct in 30 days, then send it to "edit" at Find a Grave.  They'll fix it - eventually.
                I have a problem with someone in Michigan who created a memorial for my 2ggfather, and is totally convinced that it is for someone else with the same name as my ancestor. I have been unable to convince him otherwise. So, since I can't create another memorial for my ancestor, I'm stuck.

                Joan in NC
              • Janice Russell
                Message 7 of 28 , Sep 4, 2013
                  I have a question concerning Find A Grave. I have an ancestor, James L
                  Arnold b-1827 d-after 1880.
                  On Find A Grave I found an entry for Arnold, James (#84691795) b-7 Apr 1827
                  d-5 Jan 1900. This
                  Entry was in Holly Grove Methodist Cemetery, De Ann, Hempstead County,
                  Arkansas. (My James Arnold
                  lived in Arkansas) I thought this could be the right one.
                  Then I found an entry for James Jasper Arnold (#97395238) b-7 Apr 1827 d-5
                  Jan 1900. YES, EXACTLY
                  THE SAME DATES. This James Jasper was in the Arnold Family Cemetery, De
                  Ann, Hempstead County,
                  Arkansas. Both entries were listed as entered by "Mr. & Mrs."
                  Question is if these two cemeteries are really one in the same? Then entry
                  for James Jasper Arnold has a
                  headstone with multiple names but no dates. The entry for James Arnold has
                  a tall stone complete with
                  exact dates for only James. Could these two entries be the same James???
                  How could I find out ??
                  Jan Russell

                    Message 9 of 28 , Sep 5, 2013
                      Since they are both entered by the same person, I'd send a message to "Mr & Mrs" asking about it.
                      It's possible that he's buried in the family cemetery, but has a marker in Holy Grove.  (Separate markers in different cemeteries for the same person is not considered a duplicate by Find A Grave rules.)

                      Since there's no photo for any of the family cemetery (and the creator has done tons of photos), and there are links to family, I have to think the information came from documents and not headstones.  It's possible that the bodies were later moved.

                      You could request a photo, but I'd suggest being up front with the reason why you are asking.  Some people have been known to "plop" a memorial somewhere and then request a photo as a way of finding out if that person is really there.  Not considered good form.

                      Message 10 of 28 , Sep 8, 2013
                        I sent a message concerning the possible duplication to the “Mr & Mrs” as sowning on both graves.
                        I have not received an answer yet.  Regarding your suggestion to request a photo....I have not done
                        this before. I already copied the headstone photo showing on the Find A Grave entry, so why would
                        I request a photo? Is that asking for something different?
                        Thanks, Jan Russell

                          Message 12 of 28 , Sep 9, 2013
                            Both sites had a memorial stone however only one had dates included with the name.
                            The other only had names of several family members with NO dates.
                            I did sent a request to the “Mr & Mrs” as listed on both memorial sites but still
                            no reply yet.
                            Jan Russell