Adding Unrelated Person/Family to Family Tree

  • Greg
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 20, 2013
      The latest information I have is that you have to use nFS to enter unrelated persons and families to get them into nFS and then on to Family Tree. Is this correct? Does anyone know when we will be able to do this directly in FT?
    • Bill Buchanan
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 20, 2013
        Greg,

        Using nFS is the easy way. The harder way is to upload a tiny gedcom file
        to Genealogies/PRF and then match it with FT.

        We have not been given a date when we will be able to add unrelated people
        to FT.

        Bill Buchanan
        blog: http://billbuchanan.blogspot.com

        On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 10:07 PM, Greg <gpford5@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > The latest information I have is that you have to use nFS to enter
        > unrelated persons and families to get them into nFS and then on to Family
        > Tree. Is this correct? Does anyone know when we will be able to do this
        > directly in FT?

      • Joan Raney
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 21, 2013
          You can add an unrelated person to family tree, but only if you can find a related person to add them to. I.E. You can add Jane Doe if you can find her parents. I've done it before. I was lucky enough to find the parents.
          Joan in NC

          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 21, 2013
            I can tell you a couple of work arounds until Family Tree has this feature.

            1. Add the Unrelated Person to someone in your tree or to yourself as a
            child. Then go in and delete the relationship. The single person will then
            be floating all by them-self . Just remember to keep track of their ID so
            you can find them again.

            2. In RootsMagic I can add the single individuals directly to the tree, not
            linked to anyone else. I am sure as the other FamilySearch Affiliate
            Products - Ancestral Quest and Legacy become certified to work with the
            tree they will have the same capability.

            Renee Zamora
            Renee's Genealogy Blog:
            http://rzamor1.blogspot.com
            Website: www.harrisena.com

            Adding Unrelated Person/Family to Family
            Tree<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/FHCNET/message/33471;_ylc=X3oDMTJyYnRkcjBhBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzM5MzQ3NTcEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDQwODM3BG1zZ0lkAzMzNDcxBHNlYwNkbXNnBHNsawN2bXNnBHN0aW1lAzEzNzE3OTk1MjU->
            Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:07 pm (PDT) . Posted by:"Greg"
            gpford5<gpford5@...?subject=Re%3A%20Adding%20Unrelated%20Person%2FFamily%20to%20Family%20Tree>
            The latest information I have is that you have to use nFS to enter
            unrelated persons and families to get them into nFS and then on to Family
            Tree. Is this correct? Does anyone know when we will be able to do this
            directly in FT?

          • umikersl
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 22, 2013
              I feel I need to give my two cents here on adding unrelated people to
              Family Tree.
              We are supposed to be working on our own family lines. If someone we
              know wants to
              add to the tree they can register for an account and add the person.
              The other option
              is to be a helper on someone's behalf and that enables you to help build
              another's tree.

              The ability to add unrelated individuals would enable folks who are
              doing "unauthorized"
              extraction projects to add people to the tree and present them for
              temple work. This is a violation of
              policy. I have seen this situation personally and all of the steps
              that had to be taken because of it.

              So, I guess I'm wondering in what context Church members would be adding
              unrelated individuals
              and not going outside policy?

              Thanks!
              Sharon
              Buffalo, NY

              --- In FHCNET@yahoogroups.com, Renee Zamora wrote:

              > I can tell you a couple of work arounds until Family Tree has this
              feature.

              > 1. Add the Unrelated Person to someone in your tree or to yourself as
              > child. Then go in and delete the relationship. The single person will
              then
              > be floating all by them-self . Just remember to keep track of their ID
              so
              > you can find them again.
              >
              > 2. In RootsMagic I can add the single individuals directly to the
              tree, not
              > linked to anyone else. I am sure as the other FamilySearch Affiliate
              > Products - Ancestral Quest and Legacy become certified to work with
              the
              > tree they will have the same capability.
              >

              > Renee Zamora
              > Renee's Genealogy Blog:
              > http://rzamor1.blogspot.com
              > Website: www.harrisena.com
              >
              > Adding Unrelated Person/Family to Family
              > Tree
              > Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:07 pm (PDT) . Posted by:"Greg"

              gpford5gpford5@...?subject=Re%3A%20Adding%20Unrelated%20Person%2FFamily%\
              20to%20Family%20Tree>
              > The latest information I have is that you have to use nFS to enter
              > unrelated persons and families to get them into nFS and then on to
              Family
              > Tree. Is this correct? Does anyone know when we will be able to do
              this
              > directly in FT?

            • Shanna Jones
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 22, 2013
                . Possible ancestors, meaning individuals who have a probable family
                relationship that cannot be verified because the records are inadequate,
                such as those who have the same last name and resided in the same area as
                your known ancestors.

                --- In FHCNET@yahoogroups.com <mailto:FHCNET%40yahoogroups.com> , Renee
                Zamora wrote:

                > I can tell you a couple of work arounds until Family Tree has this
                feature.

                > 1. Add the Unrelated Person to someone in your tree or to yourself as
                > child. Then go in and delete the relationship. The single person will
                then
                > be floating all by them-self . Just remember to keep track of their ID
                so
                > you can find them again.
                >
                > 2. In RootsMagic I can add the single individuals directly to the
                tree, not
                > linked to anyone else. I am sure as the other FamilySearch Affiliate
                > Products - Ancestral Quest and Legacy become certified to work with
                the
                > tree they will have the same capability.
                >

                > Renee Zamora
                > Renee's Genealogy Blog:
                > http://rzamor1.blogspot.com
                > Website: www.harrisena.com
                >
                > Adding Unrelated Person/Family to Family
                > Tree
                > Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:07 pm (PDT) . Posted by:"Greg"

                gpford5gpford5@...?subject=Re%3A%20Adding%20Unrelated%20Person%2FFamily%\
                <mailto:gpford5gpford5@...?subject=Re%3A%20Adding%20Unrelated%20Person%2FFam
                ily%25\>
                20to%20Family%20Tree>
                > The latest information I have is that you have to use nFS to enter
                > unrelated persons and families to get them into nFS and then on to
                Family
                > Tree. Is this correct? Does anyone know when we will be able to do
                this
                > directly in FT?

              • Travis Morris
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 22, 2013
                  In most cases I agree with you. Though I have added one family group that
                  is not related. A high school friend who died in Viet Nam who had no
                  children and was an only child. I added him and his parents from the vital
                  records I was able to find. I did not reserve their temple work for hopes
                  that a distant relative will.
                  Travis

                  Zamora wrote:

                  > I can tell you a couple of work arounds until Family Tree has this
                  feature.

                  > 1. Add the Unrelated Person to someone in your tree or to yourself as
                  > child. Then go in and delete the relationship. The single person will
                  then
                  > be floating all by them-self . Just remember to keep track of their ID
                  so
                  > you can find them again.
                  >
                  > 2. In RootsMagic I can add the single individuals directly to the
                  tree, not
                  > linked to anyone else. I am sure as the other FamilySearch Affiliate
                  > Products - Ancestral Quest and Legacy become certified to work with
                  the
                  > tree they will have the same capability.
                  >

                  > Renee Zamora
                  > Renee's Genealogy Blog:
                  > http://rzamor1.blogspot.com
                  > Website: www.harrisena.com
                  >
                  > Adding Unrelated Person/Family to Family
                  > Tree
                  > Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:07 pm (PDT) . Posted by:"Greg"

                  gpford5gpford5@...?subject=Re%3A%20Adding%20Unrelated%20Person%2FFamily%\
                  <mailto:gpford5gpford5@...?subject=Re%3A%20Adding%20Unrelated%20Person%2FFam
                  ily%25\>
                  20to%20Family%20Tree>
                  > The latest information I have is that you have to use nFS to enter
                  > unrelated persons and families to get them into nFS and then on to
                  Family
                  > Tree. Is this correct? Does anyone know when we will be able to do
                  this
                  > directly in FT?

                • L.L. Scott
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 22, 2013
                    I add lots of people to the family tree, but do not do ordinances unless
                    they are related to me.
                    I love history, family history, and research. I enjoy helping to build a one
                    big family tree.

                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 24, 2013
                      I do that too. I am always hopeful that their work will be done. The last person I added was an infant that was born to a couple that lived in the middle 1800s. I found the infant's burial record, and it had birth and death dates. This family lived in the vicinity of my relatives and ancestors.

                      Joan in NC