Re: Family Reunion Ideas

  • Greg
    Message 1 of 20 , May 3, 2013
      Thank you all.

      Sent from my iPad
    • tmason1
      Message 2 of 20 , May 4, 2013
        Here is something I learned about today when I downloaded an update to the FHC favorites:

        http://family-reunion.com/registry.htm

        Terry Mason, Clermont, FL

        --- In FHCNET@yahoogroups.com, Greg <gpford5@...> wrote:

        > Thank you all.
      • Snow, Donald R
        Message 3 of 20 , May 4, 2013
          That's Bruce Buzbee's website, the author of RootsMagic, though I don't
          see RootsMagic mentioned anywhere on it. His reunion planning website
          is very helpful. Bruce teaches classes on RootsMagic for our UVTAGG
          meetings nearly every month in Provo, Utah, and sometimes mentions his
          Family Reunion program. See our website at http://uvtagg.org .

          Don Snow

          --
          Dr. Donald R. Snow, Retired Professor of Mathematics
          Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah - snowd@...

        • suebarnsley2002
          Message 4 of 20 , May 5, 2013
            I know I have not been involved in the doings of the Family History Centre for a while, so I was somewhat surprised to hear that the Family History Centre Directors have authority to release family history consultants from their callings/assignments to the Family history Centre and as family history consultant. Can someone tell me when this changed?

          • Paul Walworth
            Message 5 of 20 , May 5, 2013
              I would say you need to get your answers from support.

              The Director has the responsibility to request consultants thru their Stake Presidency then by way of each HP group leader of each ward.

              Paul

              ________________________________

              I know I have not been involved in the doings of the Family History Centre for a while, so I was somewhat surprised to hear that the Family History Centre Directors have authority to release family history consultants from their callings/assignments to the Family history Centre and as family history consultant. Can someone tell me when this changed?

            • Len Ingermanson
              Message 6 of 20 , May 5, 2013
                There has been no change to policy of releasing family history
                consultants.
                Family history consultants. The high councilor coordinates through
                bishoprics and high priests group leaders to assign enough family history
                consultants to staff family history centers in the stake.
                Consultants are called by bishoprics.
                This is from the To Turn the Hearts manual, which is considered a
                supplement to the Handbook of Instructions, Book 2.
                If you have a Director releasing consultants, he or she is not complying
                with official Church policy.

                Len Ingermanson

                Message 7 of 20 , May 5, 2013
                  Thanks
                  Paul

                  ________________________________
                  There has been no change to policy of releasing family history
                  consultants.
                  Family history consultants. The high councilor coordinates through
                  bishoprics and high priests group leaders to assign enough family history
                  consultants to staff family history centers in the stake.
                  Consultants are called by bishoprics.
                  This is from the To Turn the Hearts manual, which is considered a
                  supplement to the Handbook of Instructions, Book 2.
                  If you have a Director releasing consultants, he or she is not complying
                  with official Church policy.

                  Len Ingermanson

                  On Sun, May 5, 2013 at 12:08 PM, <sbarnsley@...> wrote:

                  > **
                  >

                  > I know I have not been involved in the doings of the Family History Centre
                  > for a while, so I was somewhat surprised to hear that the Family History
                  > Centre Directors have authority to release family history consultants from
                  > their callings/assignments to the Family history Centre and as family
                  > history consultant. Can someone tell me when this changed?

                • Barb Allen
                  Message 8 of 20 , May 6, 2013
                    I don't see the answer to who releases a person.  We have a consultant who was called probably close to a year ago who was unable to staff at our center for  numerous reasons and we can't seem to get her released no matter how many times we tell her Bishop she is not staffing at the center.  We have several other consultants that no longer staff but never seem to get released either.  I don't believe there is a cut and dry policy or if there is one, no one uses it.  We have numerous consultants listed in our stake roster  but very few that actually perform in that calling.  Some wards show as many as 7 consultants and maybe we have one that serves in our center.  They don't serve in their ward either.  When we beg for people to staff our center and they see the number of consultants listed, they don't understand our need.  I sometimes wish we had the authority to release people.

                    Barb

                    ________________________________
                    There has been no change to policy of releasing family history
                    consultants.
                    Family history consultants. The high councilor coordinates through
                    bishoprics and high priests group leaders to assign enough family history
                    consultants to staff family history centers in the stake.
                    Consultants are called by bishoprics.
                    This is from the To Turn the Hearts manual, which is considered a
                    supplement to the Handbook of Instructions, Book 2.
                    If you have a Director releasing consultants, he or she is not complying
                    with official Church policy.

                    Len Ingermanson

                    On Sun, May 5, 2013 at 12:08 PM, <sbarnsley@...> wrote:

                    > **
                    >

                    > I know I have not been involved in the doings of the Family History Centre
                    > for a while, so I was somewhat surprised to hear that the Family History
                    > Centre Directors have authority to release family history consultants from
                    > their callings/assignments to the Family history Centre and as family
                    > history consultant. Can someone tell me when this changed?

                  • Nancy Taylor
                    Message 9 of 20 , May 6, 2013
                      Isn't it so that being called as a consultant and working with members
                      in their ward is one part of the calling and is managed by the High
                      Priest Group Leader in the ward. And the other part of the calling _may
                      be_ to serve in the Family History Center and that is managed by the
                      Director of the FHC - a consultant may or may not be asked to serve in
                      the Center, and yet they are to serve as a consultant in their ward.
                      (Callings and releases are coordinated by the high councilor, high
                      priest group leader and the bishopric - the director of the FHC does not
                      call or release a consultant; but does coordinate with the high
                      councilor and the high priest group leader on who to ask to work in the
                      FHC.) Consultants are to work with individual families by going to
                      their homes and working with the family (there may be times when they
                      bring the family to the Center to use the resources.) This is my
                      understanding.

                      On 5/6/2013 3:15 AM, Barb Allen wrote:

                      > I don't see the answer to who releases a person. We have a consultant
                      > who was called probably close to a year ago who was unable to staff at
                      > our center for numerous reasons and we can't seem to get her released
                      > no matter how many times we tell her Bishop she is not staffing at the
                      > center. We have several other consultants that no longer staff but
                      > never seem to get released either. I don't believe there is a cut and
                      > dry policy or if there is one, no one uses it. We have numerous
                      > consultants listed in our stake roster but very few that actually
                      > perform in that calling. Some wards show as many as 7 consultants and
                      > maybe we have one that serves in our center. They don't serve in
                      > their ward either. When we beg for people to staff our center and
                      > they see the number of consultants listed, they don't understand our
                      > need. I sometimes wish we had the authority to release people.
                      >
                      > Barb
                      >
                      > ________________________________

                    • Margaret Thompson
                      Message 10 of 20 , May 6, 2013
                        My understanding agrees with Nancy's understanding.

                        It does got a little confusing at times. As a family history consultant (now
                        called on a ward basis) when you are working with ward members you work
                        directly under the HP Group leader, when teaching a class during SS you work
                        directly under the Bishop, when working in the FHC you work directly under
                        the FHC Director/Assistants. That is a lot of different people to work under
                        for one calling.

                        The way I understand it to work in the FHC as staff it is an assignment (not
                        a calling) that is related to being a consultant. Our stake has several
                        consultants who are not on staff in our center, even though it would be nice
                        to have more staffers.

                        Margaret

                        Isn't it so that being called as a consultant and working with members
                        in their ward is one part of the calling and is managed by the High
                        Priest Group Leader in the ward. And the other part of the calling _may
                        be_ to serve in the Family History Center and that is managed by the
                        Director of the FHC - a consultant may or may not be asked to serve in
                        the Center, and yet they are to serve as a consultant in their ward.
                        (Callings and releases are coordinated by the high councilor, high
                        priest group leader and the bishopric - the director of the FHC does not
                        call or release a consultant; but does coordinate with the high
                        councilor and the high priest group leader on who to ask to work in the
                        FHC.) Consultants are to work with individual families by going to
                        their homes and working with the family (there may be times when they
                        bring the family to the Center to use the resources.) This is my
                        understanding.

                        On 5/6/2013 3:15 AM, Barb Allen wrote:

                        > I don't see the answer to who releases a person. We have a consultant
                        > who was called probably close to a year ago who was unable to staff at
                        > our center for numerous reasons and we can't seem to get her released
                        > no matter how many times we tell her Bishop she is not staffing at the
                        > center. We have several other consultants that no longer staff but
                        > never seem to get released either. I don't believe there is a cut and
                        > dry policy or if there is one, no one uses it. We have numerous
                        > consultants listed in our stake roster but very few that actually
                        > perform in that calling. Some wards show as many as 7 consultants and
                        > maybe we have one that serves in our center. They don't serve in
                        > their ward either. When we beg for people to staff our center and
                        > they see the number of consultants listed, they don't understand our
                        > need. I sometimes wish we had the authority to release people.
                        >
                        > Barb
                        >
                        > ________________________________

                      • Emil O. Hanson
                        Message 11 of 20 , May 6, 2013
                          Consultants being released?
                          I am the director of a large FamilSearch Library and I have never
                          released or felt authorized to release consultants. We want and need as
                          many as we can get. We currently have 320 consultants and missionaries
                          serving at our library and I would like that increased to 500. Following is
                          the article for staff that will go out in our next Newletter. Anyone who
                          would like to be on our newsletter mailing list may do so by providing me
                          with your email address. Send it to emilhanson@... along with any
                          others from your center who would like to get it.

                          *

                          The Ogden FamilySearch Library needs you - Volunteers and/or Missionaries
                          are Always Needed at the Library

                          As stated in the training guide book "To turn the Hearts" Those who are
                          called to serve as Family History consultants should be trained at and
                          serve in a Family History Library/Center where available. The Ogden
                          FamilySearch Library is accepting applications for volunteers and/or
                          missionaries - either full or part time. If you live in the Ogden Area the
                          center is an excellent, enjoyable and educational place to serve the Lord.
                          Training is a daily activity and classes may be taken during your shift.
                          Staff may work on their own family research when not in training or
                          assisting patrons. Experienced volunteers will be available to provide
                          assistance and help to newly called consultants when needed. To make
                          arrangements to serve simply Contact: Brother Sam Jorgensen, the Personnel
                          Administrator, by calling 626-1132

                          *

                          Emil O. Hanson

                        • Emil O. Hanson
                          Message 12 of 20 , May 18, 2013
                            Nancy,
                            I believe you are right on, in regards to consultants serving as a ward
                            consultant and at the same time serving at a center or a library. I never
                            fully explained what we do other than that we do not release consultants as
                            consultants. In fact even in our ward setting I have never heard a person
                            being released as a ward consultant and a request to have a show of hands
                            expressing appreciation for their service. Maybe consultants are
                            consultants until they go to their grave.
                            At the Ogden Library, when a consultant has to be released as a worker at
                            the library we send them a release letter and one to their Bishop and if
                            they were sent from the stake as a service missionary a copy goes to the
                            Stake President. We only release them from service at the library not from
                            their calling as a consultant or a missionary.
                            In many cases we have members volunteer at the library who had not been
                            called as consultants either by the ward or stake. These are members who
                            just want to serve at the library. When they apply we have them register as
                            a consultant in the church computer system. While they are serving at the
                            library they are trained to be a consultant and when patrons seek their
                            help at the library they are seeking the help of a consultant. Though they
                            haven't been called as a consultant by the ward or the stake they are
                            consultants as far as we are concerned. The church has never ask us if any
                            of these kind of volunteers have had official callings in order to register
                            as consultants. You are correct though in that the HP Grp ldr is supposed
                            to recommend to the Bishop persons who might serve as consultants. The
                            Bishop should call them and release them and none other, as far as I
                            understand. The High Councilman should train HP grp ldrs. Emil

                            Message 13 of 20 , May 18, 2013
                              I was asked about 5 years ago to work in our FHC and was sustained as a consultant about a year ago.

                              Paul in Texas

                              ________________________________
> [...]

                              > > who was called probably close to a year ago who was unable to staff at
                              > > our center for numerous reasons and we can't seem to get her released
                              > > no matter how many times we tell her Bishop she is not staffing at the
                              > > center. We have several other consultants that no longer staff but
                              > > never seem to get released either. I don't believe there is a cut and
                              > > dry policy or if there is one, no one uses it. We have numerous
                              > > consultants listed in our stake roster but very few that actually
                              > > perform in that calling. Some wards show as many as 7 consultants and
                              > > maybe we have one that serves in our center. They don't serve in
                              > > their ward either. When we beg for people to staff our center and
                              > > they see the number of consultants listed, they don't understand our
                              > > need. I sometimes wish we had the authority to release people.

                            • E Marleena Alkire
                              Message 14 of 20 , May 18, 2013
                                I called and sustained in 2009 as a FHC Consultant with the added
                                responsibility of taking care of our computers. In April our ward split into
                                two wards and all the consultants in the new ward were released by the
                                Bishop of the old ward then the Bishop of the new ward told everyone "even
                                though you're released please continue on with your callings as if you
                                hadn't been". Director is called at the stake level so she stays and has
                                told everyone she's keeping me in the FHC. Last I heard I was to be recalled
                                and resustained to the same position by the new Bishop of our new ward.
                                Haven't heard when he is going to do that but I'm still working in our FHC
                                and taking care of computers.

                                Marleena

                                <mailto:njt5%40psu.edu> > wrote:

                                > **
                                >

                                > Isn't it so that being called as a consultant and working with members
                                > in their ward is one part of the calling and is managed by the High
                                > Priest Group Leader in the ward. And the other part of the calling _may
                                > be_ to serve in the Family History Center and that is managed by the
                                > Director of the FHC - a consultant may or may not be asked to serve in
                                > the Center, and yet they are to serve as a consultant in their ward.
                                > (Callings and releases are coordinated by the high councilor, high
                                > priest group leader and the bishopric - the director of the FHC does not
                                > call or release a consultant; but does coordinate with the high
                                > councilor and the high priest group leader on who to ask to work in the
                                > FHC.) Consultants are to work with individual families by going to
                                > their homes and working with the family (there may be times when they
                                > bring the family to the Center to use the resources.) This is my
                                > understanding.
                                >

                                > On 5/6/2013 3:15 AM, Barb Allen wrote:
                                > >
                                > > I don't see the answer to who releases a person. We have a consultant
                                > > who was called probably close to a year ago who was unable to staff at
                                > > our center for numerous reasons and we can't seem to get her released
                                > > no matter how many times we tell her Bishop she is not staffing at the
                                > > center. We have several other consultants that no longer staff but
                                > > never seem to get released either. I don't believe there is a cut and
                                > > dry policy or if there is one, no one uses it. We have numerous
                                > > consultants listed in our stake roster but very few that actually
                                > > perform in that calling. Some wards show as many as 7 consultants and
                                > > maybe we have one that serves in our center. They don't serve in
                                > > their ward either. When we beg for people to staff our center and
                                > > they see the number of consultants listed, they don't understand our
                                > > need. I sometimes wish we had the authority to release people.
                                > >
                                > > Barb

                                > > From: Len Ingermanson <len438@... <mailto:len438%40gmail.com>

                                <mailto:sbarnsley%40shaw.ca>