cemetery records

  • Leslie Vaughn
    Message 1 of 26 , Apr 20, 2013
      Our local cemetery and affiliated funeral home have refused on advice of
      their counsel not to open any funeral records for ANY body except those who
      have paid for the funeral. They say they are afraid of identity theft.
      When reminded that some of the records go back decades and that anyone
      mentioned in the records are all dead, they don't care. It is just easier
      keep them all closed than to decide which ones MIGHT be subject to ID theft
      and which ones won't.

      But if your cemetery hasn't chickened out, I totally agree with Terry.

      Leslie Vaughn

      Message 2 of 26 , Apr 20, 2013
        Yes and some of those records are  not even with the cemeteries anymore but just might be in the home of a former caretaker.  We ran into this years back in Indiana, but my mother-in-law had family who still lived there and they were helpful.

        Paul

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 26 , Apr 21, 2013
          Warning: in the Mid-Atlantic and the Atlantic-Seaboard-South
          areas, you will find cemeteries of the home-grown variety --
          two plots on someone's farm, or a community cemetery on
          donated land, or even near a seldom-used church -- where no
          one has ever made any sort of record of /who/ was buried
          there, never-mind where there. I was _seriously_ amazed at
          how much info a commercial funeral home had and would share!

          I mention this as a reminder to experienced researchers and
          pro bono publico for newbies so they don't annoy the locals
          by implying falsehoods are being peddled vis-a-vis the
          existence of records.

          Cheryl
          n.b.: I was also seriously amazed at a local DC-area
          cemetery when I asked for directions to the grave of lady
          whose burial I had attended 6 weeks earlier. They had
          absolutely no reference to her in their records. Had I not
          known her father-in-law's full name, I still wouldn't know
          where she was buried. HE bought a plot, and so far, he, his
          wife, his son, and my friend are buried there but only HIS
          name comes up when you ask at the office.

          Leslie Vaughn wrote:
          > Our local cemetery and affiliated funeral home have refused
          > on advice of
          > their counsel not to open any funeral records for ANY body
          > except those who
          > have paid for the funeral. They say they are afraid of
          > identity theft.
          > When reminded that some of the records go back decades and
          > that anyone
          > mentioned in the records are all dead, they don't care. It
          > is just easier
          > keep them all closed than to decide which ones MIGHT be
          > subject to ID theft
          > and which ones won't.
          >
          > But if your cemetery hasn't chickened out, I totally agree
          > with Terry.
          >
          > Leslie Vaughn
          >
          > <mailto:FHCNET%40yahoogroups.com>] On Behalf Of
          > tmason1
          >
          > Do local funeral homes, courthouses and cemetery caretakes
          > have records that
          > you will not find if all you use is tombstones?
          >
          > Several years ago my wife and I went to four cemeteries in a
          > rural farming
          > community north of Toronto, Ontario where her father was from.
          >
          > We made appointments with the cemetery caretakes who opened
          > their Interment
          > books up to us. We found that while there may only be two
          > stones on the
          > surface there are often eight people buried in the plot. Six
          > years later we
          > are still building upon the records which were in the books
          > that were opened
          > for us.
        • Dee Ziegler
          Message 4 of 26 , Apr 21, 2013
            Hello to the list. Back in the olden days (1970 & later), standard advice
            was to go to the funeral home with a smile on your face and a small box of
            doughnuts, and two or three papers (leave the rest in the car) to show your
            connection to the person whose records you're seeking. Go when they're not
            busy. Be pleasant, not demanding. The doughnuts are "because I need your
            help."

            Mention "your firm has buried several of my relatives" if that's the case.

            If records are somewhere dusty or freezing or hot, offer to do the
            searching yourself "while you watch me, of course, if you wish." Cheers,
            Dee in Maryland
            ====

          • L.L. Scott
            Message 5 of 26 , Apr 21, 2013
              Good advise. We must remember, everything is not on WWW.

              Message 6 of 26 , Apr 22, 2013
                Leslie Vaughn wrote: Our local cemetery and affiliated funeral home have refused on advice of their counsel not to open any funeral records for ANY body except those who have paid for the funeral. They say they are afraid of identity theft. When reminded that some of the records go back decades and that anyone mentioned in the records are all dead, they don't care. It is just easier keep them all closed than to decide which ones MIGHT be subject to ID theft and which ones won't.

                But if your cemetery hasn't chickened out, I totally agree with Terry.

                We have a large cemetery in town that I put myself on a volunteer website to photograph grave markers. Up until a couple of years ago the office was very helpful in giving me cemetery maps to locate the individual. The last time I went to the office, they wouldn't give me any information unless the requestor called their office and told them they authorized me to take photos of their relative's marker. So I reckon identity theft is rampant.

                I have gone there just to photograph markers to put on Find A Grave. So as long as I don't visit the office they don't care who photographs what.

                Joan in NC
              • Lise Embley
                Message 7 of 26 , Apr 22, 2013
                  "...so I reckon identity theft is rampant..."

                  Dry sense of humor, right? I'm thinking that identity theft based on
                  tombstone information is a laughably low risk.

                  Fairly recently, I had tremendous difficulty getting information about a
                  burial that was more than a hundred years ago. Apparently my relative was
                  buried in a grave owned by someone else. The name of the plot owner was
                  considered "confidential" so cemetery records office couldn't even let me
                  see the plot map so I could find the unmarked grave.

                  In the end, the grounds keeper had to help me locate the spot, and used a
                  copy of the plot map to do so. (He then handed his copy of the map to me,
                  which I brought home. Shhhh!). I'm sure the deceased plot owner is
                  turning over in his (other) grave somewhere.

                  Gheez.

                  :-)

                  --
                  Lise Embley
                • L.L. Scott
                  Message 8 of 26 , Apr 22, 2013
                    In 1980 I was headed to SLC to the World Conference on Records.
                    I stopped over in Chicago where my great grandparents are buried.
                    I took the EL to the cemetery in NW Chicago area. Found the cemetery,
                    the clerk would not give me any info, told me to go home [FL] and write a
                    letter to
                    get the info. I did receive the info in the mail. A friend who was raised in
                    Chicago went back for a visit
                    and she went to the cemetery and took pictures for me.
                    We still have an empty space in plot, so if I ever get mugged in Chicago I
                    have a place to be buried.

                    Laura in the FL Panhandle

                    Message 9 of 26 , Apr 22, 2013
                      Let me tell you about stolen identity. A patron found two FAG memorials
                      for the same person, one in New England and the other in Missouri. The
                      one New England was of the appropriate age....Rev. War Soldier site over
                      100 yrs old. The other site was a modern government stone in the
                      middle of a farm field. Someone had mistakenly identified his own
                      ancestor and had been successful in getting the government to give him a
                      headstone.

                      Lois Casson
                      Pensacola, FL

                      On 4/22/2013 12:43 PM, Lise Embley wrote:
                      > "...so I reckon identity theft is rampant..."
                      >
                      > Dry sense of humor, right? I'm thinking that identity theft based on
                      > tombstone information is a laughably low risk.
                      >
                      > Fairly recently, I had tremendous difficulty getting information about a
                      > burial that was more than a hundred years ago. Apparently my relative was
                      > buried in a grave owned by someone else. The name of the plot owner was
                      > considered "confidential" so cemetery records office couldn't even let me
                      > see the plot map so I could find the unmarked grave.
                      >
                      > In the end, the grounds keeper had to help me locate the spot, and used a
                      > copy of the plot map to do so. (He then handed his copy of the map to me,
                      > which I brought home. Shhhh!). I'm sure the deceased plot owner is
                      > turning over in his (other) grave somewhere.
                      >
                      > Gheez.
                      >
                      > :-)
                      >

                      > On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 9:47 AM, Joan Raney <raneyj@...> wrote:
                      >
                      >> **
                      >>

                      >> Leslie Vaughn wrote: Our local cemetery and affiliated funeral home have
                      >> refused on advice of their counsel not to open any funeral records for ANY
                      >> body except those who have paid for the funeral. They say they are afraid
                      >> of identity theft. When reminded that some of the records go back decades
                      >> and that anyone mentioned in the records are all dead, they don't care. It
                      >> is just easier keep them all closed than to decide which ones MIGHT be
                      >> subject to ID theft and which ones won't.
                      >>
                      >> But if your cemetery hasn't chickened out, I totally agree with Terry.
                      >>
                      >> We have a large cemetery in town that I put myself on a volunteer website
                      >> to photograph grave markers. Up until a couple of years ago the office was
                      >> very helpful in giving me cemetery maps to locate the individual. The last
                      >> time I went to the office, they wouldn't give me any information unless the
                      >> requestor called their office and told them they authorized me to take
                      >> photos of their relative's marker. So I reckon identity theft is rampant.
                      >>
                      >> I have gone there just to photograph markers to put on Find A Grave. So as
                      >> long as I don't visit the office they don't care who photographs what.
                      >>
                      >> Joan in NC

                    • Russell Hltn
                      Message 10 of 26 , Apr 22, 2013
                        On Apr 22, 2013 7:43 AM, "Lise Embley" <lise.embley@...> wrote:

                        > "...so I reckon identity theft is rampant..."
                        >
                        > Dry sense of humor, right? I'm thinking that identity theft based on
                        > tombstone information is a laughably low risk.

                        Well, there are the pre-need stones.....

                      • gen2colorado
                        Message 11 of 26 , Apr 22, 2013
                          My computer guy says I need to get licenses for these programs to be on the FHC computers.
                          Is there any easy way to do that?

                          Leagacy 7.5
                          Leagacy Charting 7
                          ?? Personal Historian 2 ????
                          Family History Catalog ????
                          Roots Magic 5
                          Roots Magic5 to go
                          Roots Magic 6
                          Roots Magic 6 togo
                          Roots Magic 4 ????
                          Roots Magic togo 4 ????
                          Family Insight
                          Get my Ancestors
                          Generation Maps.com
                          Genelines Universal ????
                          Charting Companion ????
                          Map My Family Tree ????
                          Thanks, Carol

                        • Lois Casson
                          Message 12 of 26 , Apr 22, 2013
                            All you have to do is write to the individual companies and request the
                            necessary permissions. The Family History Catalog is on
                            FamilySearch.Org though there is a CD. But, if they are not "church"
                            related you may not get those permissions and I am not sure why you
                            would want all the versions of Roots Magic as well as the "to go" versions.

                            Google the name of the software, go to their page, use their contact
                            link, identify yourself as an FHC Director and request the permissions/

                            Lois Casson
                            Pensacola, FL

                            On 4/22/2013 7:02 PM, swensengen@... wrote:

                            > My computer guy says I need to get licenses for these programs to be
                            > on the FHC computers.
                            > Is there any easy way to do that?
                            >
                            > Leagacy 7.5
                            > Leagacy Charting 7
                            > ?? Personal Historian 2 ????
                            > Family History Catalog ????
                            > Roots Magic 5
                            > Roots Magic5 to go
                            > Roots Magic 6
                            > Roots Magic 6 togo
                            > Roots Magic 4 ????
                            > Roots Magic togo 4 ????
                            > Family Insight
                            > Get my Ancestors
                            > Generation Maps.com
                            > Genelines Universal ????
                            > Charting Companion ????
                            > Map My Family Tree ????
                            > Thanks, Carol

                          • Bill Buchanan
                            Message 13 of 26 , Apr 22, 2013
                              If he checks to see which programs are provided via FamilySearch's Tivoli
                              distribution system, he will see that most of them are licensed to FHCs as
                              part of a FamilySearch affiliate license. (I am not in the FHC right now,
                              and I can't remember the name of the Tivoli distribution program right now.
                              We used to use LanDesk to download the software before the Church switched
                              to Tivoli a few months ago.)

                              Some programs listed are obsolete versions. (e.g. RootsMagic should be
                              version 6.)

                              https://familysearch.org/products will also have a list of most of the
                              licensed affiliate software. Also note that several of the programs listed
                              are also available to the general public in a free version).

                              Bill Buchanan
                              blog: http://billbuchanan.blogspot.com

                              On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 6:02 PM, <swensengen@...> wrote:

                              > **
                              >

                              > My computer guy says I need to get licenses for these programs to be on
                              > the FHC computers.
                              > Is there any easy way to do that?
                              >
                              > Leagacy 7.5
                              > Leagacy Charting 7
                              > ?? Personal Historian 2 ????
                              > Family History Catalog ????
                              > Roots Magic 5
                              > Roots Magic5 to go
                              > Roots Magic 6
                              > Roots Magic 6 togo
                              > Roots Magic 4 ????
                              > Roots Magic togo 4 ????
                              > Family Insight
                              > Get my Ancestors
                              > Generation Maps.com
                              > Genelines Universal ????
                              > Charting Companion ????
                              > Map My Family Tree ????
                              > Thanks, Carol

                            • Paul Walworth
                              Message 14 of 26 , Apr 22, 2013
                                I am not sure because all I did was download Roots Magic 6 and Ancestry.quest Essentials with no problem but then when I tried to put them on all the computers it looks like the director or the tech need to download them.

                                Paul

                                ________________________________
                                All you have to do is write to the individual companies and request the
                                necessary permissions. The Family History Catalog is on
                                FamilySearch.Org though there is a CD. But, if they are not "church"
                                related you may not get those permissions and I am not sure why you
                                would want all the versions of Roots Magic as well as the "to go" versions.

                                Google the name of the software, go to their page, use their contact
                                link, identify yourself as an FHC Director and request the permissions/

                                Lois Casson
                                Pensacola, FL

                                On 4/22/2013 7:02 PM, swensengen@... wrote:

                                > My computer guy says I need to get licenses for these programs to be
                                > on the FHC computers.
                                > Is there any easy way to do that?
                                >
                                > Leagacy 7.5
                                > Leagacy Charting 7
                                > ?? Personal Historian 2 ????
                                > Family History Catalog ????
                                > Roots Magic 5
                                > Roots Magic5 to go
                                > Roots Magic 6
                                > Roots Magic 6 togo
                                > Roots Magic 4 ????
                                > Roots Magic togo 4 ????
                                > Family Insight
                                > Get my Ancestors
                                > Generation Maps.com
                                > Genelines Universal ????
                                > Charting Companion ????
                                > Map My Family Tree ????
                                > Thanks, Carol

                              • Russell Hltn
                                Message 15 of 26 , Apr 22, 2013
                                  How is he defining "licensing"? I believe most of these are available via
                                  the software distribution (LANDesk?) As such, they are already licensed
                                  for use in a FHC.

                                  On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 2:02 PM, <swensengen@...> wrote:

                                  > My computer guy says I need to get licenses for these programs to
                                  > be on the FHC computers.
                                  > Is there any easy way to do that?
                                  >
                                  > Leagacy 7.5
                                  > Leagacy Charting 7
                                  > ?? Personal Historian 2 ????
                                  > Family History Catalog ????
                                  > Roots Magic 5
                                  > Roots Magic5 to go
                                  > Roots Magic 6
                                  > Roots Magic 6 togo
                                  > Roots Magic 4 ????
                                  > Roots Magic togo 4 ????
                                  > Family Insight
                                  > Get my Ancestors
                                  > Generation Maps.com
                                  > Genelines Universal ????
                                  > Charting Companion ????
                                  > Map My Family Tree ????
                                  > Thanks, Carol

                                • Lois Casson
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Apr 22, 2013
                                    Paul, You have to have Administrator privileges to install programs and
                                    updates on FHC computers.

                                    Lois

                                    On 4/22/2013 7:28 PM, Paul Walworth wrote:

                                    > I am not sure because all I did was download Roots Magic 6 and
                                    > Ancestry.quest Essentials with no problem but then when I tried to put
                                    > them on all the computers it looks like the director or the tech need
                                    > to download them.
                                    >
                                    > Paul
                                    >
                                    > ________________________________

                                  • Russell Hltn
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Apr 22, 2013
                                      Another thing: A number of those programs won't run without a license. So
                                      just who are the licensed to? I'd look for something like Help > About to
                                      see if that information is there. It may not be licensed to your specific
                                      FHC, but to FHCs in general.

                                      Assuming you are an official FHC with a unit number, that's not a problem.

                                      On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 2:30 PM, Russell Hltn <russellhltn@...> wrote:

                                      > How is he defining "licensing"? I believe most of these are available via
                                      > the software distribution (LANDesk?) As such, they are already licensed
                                      > for use in a FHC.
                                      >

                                      > On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 2:02 PM, <swensengen@...> wrote:
                                      >
                                      >> My computer guy says I need to get licenses for these programs to
                                      >> be on the FHC computers.
                                      >> Is there any easy way to do that?
                                      >>
                                      >> Leagacy 7.5
                                      >> Leagacy Charting 7
                                      >> ?? Personal Historian 2 ????
                                      >> Family History Catalog ????
                                      >> Roots Magic 5
                                      >> Roots Magic5 to go
                                      >> Roots Magic 6
                                      >> Roots Magic 6 togo
                                      >> Roots Magic 4 ????
                                      >> Roots Magic togo 4 ????
                                      >> Family Insight
                                      >> Get my Ancestors
                                      >> Generation Maps.com
                                      >> Genelines Universal ????
                                      >> Charting Companion ????
                                      >> Map My Family Tree ????
                                      >> Thanks, Carol

                                    • Lois Casson
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Apr 22, 2013
                                        When you write the individual companies they furnish
                                        registration/licensing numbers.

                                        On 4/22/2013 7:46 PM, Russell Hltn wrote:

                                        > Another thing: A number of those programs won't run without a license. So
                                        > just who are the licensed to? I'd look for something like Help > About to
                                        > see if that information is there. It may not be licensed to your specific
                                        > FHC, but to FHCs in general.
                                        >
                                        > Assuming you are an official FHC with a unit number, that's not a problem.
                                        >
                                        > On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 2:30 PM, Russell Hltn <russellhltn@...
                                        > <mailto:russellhltn%40gmail.com>> wrote:
                                        >
                                        > > How is he defining "licensing"? I believe most of these are
                                        > available via
                                        > > the software distribution (LANDesk?) As such, they are already licensed
                                        > > for use in a FHC.
                                        > >

                                        > > On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 2:02 PM, <swensengen@...
                                        > <mailto:swensengen%40comcast.net>> wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > >> My computer guy says I need to get licenses for these programs to
                                        > >> be on the FHC computers.
                                        > >> Is there any easy way to do that?
                                        > >>
                                        > >> Leagacy 7.5
                                        > >> Leagacy Charting 7
                                        > >> ?? Personal Historian 2 ????
                                        > >> Family History Catalog ????
                                        > >> Roots Magic 5
                                        > >> Roots Magic5 to go
                                        > >> Roots Magic 6
                                        > >> Roots Magic 6 togo
                                        > >> Roots Magic 4 ????
                                        > >> Roots Magic togo 4 ????
                                        > >> Family Insight
                                        > >> Get my Ancestors
                                        > >> Generation Maps.com
                                        > >> Genelines Universal ????
                                        > >> Charting Companion ????
                                        > >> Map My Family Tree ????
                                        > >> Thanks, Carol

                                      • Russell Hltn
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Apr 22, 2013
                                          Most if not all on that list are already pre-licensed for a FHC.

                                          I think I understand what's going on. The computer guy is doing his job to
                                          make sure everything is legal. What he doesn't know is that some software
                                          has a enterprise-wide license for FHCs. He just needs to be brought up to
                                          speed.

                                          For an official FHC, it is unnecessary to write to each of the vendors just
                                          to get a piece of paper for the computer guy to put in his 3-ring binder.

                                          I think most of that software requires a license to run. In that case,
                                          there should be a screen that shows who the software is licensed to. In
                                          that case, doing a screen capture of that window should solve the problem.
                                          If it's licensed to an individual, then there's a problem.

                                          Yes, you could write to everyone, but that seems like an unnecessary burden
                                          for the director and the vendor. However, if the "FHC" isn't official,
                                          then that's what needs to be done.

                                          On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 3:19 PM, Lois Casson <lcasson@...> wrote:

                                          > When you write the individual companies they furnish
                                          > registration/licensing numbers.
                                          >

                                          > On 4/22/2013 7:46 PM, Russell Hltn wrote:
                                          > >
                                          > > Another thing: A number of those programs won't run without a license. So
                                          > > just who are the licensed to? I'd look for something like Help > About to
                                          > > see if that information is there. It may not be licensed to your specific
                                          > > FHC, but to FHCs in general.
                                          > >
                                          > > Assuming you are an official FHC with a unit number, that's not a
                                          > problem.

                                        • Len Ingermanson
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Apr 22, 2013
                                            My wife is the team lead for Family History Center Support in World Wide
                                            Support in the Joseph Smith Memorial Building and says go to the FHC Portal
                                            at fhc.familysearch.org. Then click on Premium Websites, located on the
                                            left side of the screen. Then click on the link under the Third Party
                                            Desktop Applications section. It tells you the following:
                                            Products Available via Tivoli

                                            These may be installed from the *Application Finder*:

                                            - Ancestral Quest 12 <http://www.ancquest.com/translatefhc.htm>
                                            - Ancestral Quest Collaboration <http://www.ancquest.com/aq_collab.htm>
                                            - Charting Companion<http://www.progenysoftware.com/brands/genealogy_charting.php>
                                            - FamilyInsight<http://www.ohanasoftware.com/?sec=learnmore/familyinsight>
                                            - Genelines<http://www.progenygenealogy.com/genelines-universal-details.html>
                                            - Generation Maps <http://generationmaps.com/php/fhc.php>
                                            - GetMyAncestors <http://www.ohanasoftware.com/?sec=GetMyAncestors>
                                            - MagiKey Family Tree <http://www.themagikey.com/family-tree-features>
                                            - Map My Family Tree<http://www.progenygenealogy.com/map-my-family-tree.html>
                                            - Ordinance Tracker <http://www.ohanasoftware.com/OrdinanceTracker>
                                            - PAF Companion<http://www.progenygenealogy.com/paf-companion-details.html>
                                            - RootsMagic <http://www.rootsmagic.com/fhc/>

                                            Products Available For Download

                                            The following products can be downloaded from the vendor's website:

                                            - Legacy Family Tree Deluxe <http://www.legacyfamilytree.com/FHC.asp>
                                            - Personal Historian <http://www.rootsmagic.com/fhc/>

                                            All the above products are authorized and have the necessary licenses to be
                                            used in an authorized Family History Center.
                                            If any of you have questions, please contact the FamilySearch help desk to
                                            get the ANSWER and not an OPINION.

                                            Len Ingermanson

                                            On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 7:34 PM, Russell Hltn <RussellHltn@...> wrote:

                                            > **
                                            >

                                            > Most if not all on that list are already pre-licensed for a FHC.
                                            >
                                            > I think I understand what's going on. The computer guy is doing his job to
                                            > make sure everything is legal. What he doesn't know is that some software
                                            > has a enterprise-wide license for FHCs. He just needs to be brought up to
                                            > speed.
                                            >
                                            > For an official FHC, it is unnecessary to write to each of the vendors just
                                            > to get a piece of paper for the computer guy to put in his 3-ring binder.
                                            >
                                            > I think most of that software requires a license to run. In that case,
                                            > there should be a screen that shows who the software is licensed to. In
                                            > that case, doing a screen capture of that window should solve the problem.
                                            > If it's licensed to an individual, then there's a problem.
                                            >
                                            > Yes, you could write to everyone, but that seems like an unnecessary burden
                                            > for the director and the vendor. However, if the "FHC" isn't official,
                                            > then that's what needs to be done.
                                            >

                                            > On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 3:19 PM, Lois Casson <lcasson@...> wrote:
                                            >
                                            > > When you write the individual companies they furnish
                                            > > registration/licensing numbers.
                                            > >

                                            > > On 4/22/2013 7:46 PM, Russell Hltn wrote:
                                            > > >
                                            > > > Another thing: A number of those programs won't run without a license.
                                            > So
                                            > > > just who are the licensed to? I'd look for something like Help > About
                                            > > > see if that information is there. It may not be licensed to your
                                            > specific
                                            > > > FHC, but to FHCs in general.
                                            > > >
                                            > > > Assuming you are an official FHC with a unit number, that's not a
                                            > > problem.

                                          • Paul Walworth
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Apr 22, 2013
                                              Not always, but that has been changed

                                              Paul

                                              ________________________________
                                              Paul, You have to have Administrator privileges to install programs and
                                              updates on FHC computers.

                                              Lois

                                              On 4/22/2013 7:28 PM, Paul Walworth wrote:

                                              > I am not sure because all I did was download Roots Magic 6 and
                                              > Ancestry.quest Essentials with no problem but then when I tried to put
                                              > them on all the computers it looks like the director or the tech need
                                              > to download them.
                                              >
                                              > Paul
                                              >
                                              > ________________________________

                                            • Paul Walworth
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Apr 22, 2013
                                                From what I keep seeing it is to that FHC as it has that assigned number from each FHC, but at the same time all.

                                                ________________________________
                                                Another thing: A number of those programs won't run without a license. So
                                                just who are the licensed to? I'd look for something like Help > About to
                                                see if that information is there. It may not be licensed to your specific
                                                FHC, but to FHCs in general.

                                                Assuming you are an official FHC with a unit number, that's not a problem.

                                                On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 2:30 PM, Russell Hltn <russellhltn@...> wrote:

                                                > How is he defining "licensing"? I believe most of these are available via
                                                > the software distribution (LANDesk?) As such, they are already licensed
                                                > for use in a FHC.
                                                >

                                                > On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 2:02 PM, <swensengen@...> wrote:
                                                >
                                                >> My computer guy says I need to get licenses for these programs to
                                                >> be on the FHC computers.
                                                >> Is there any easy way to do that?
                                                >>
                                                >> Leagacy 7.5
                                                >> Leagacy Charting 7
                                                >> ?? Personal Historian 2 ????
                                                >> Family History Catalog ????
                                                >> Roots Magic 5
                                                >> Roots Magic5 to go
                                                >> Roots Magic 6
                                                >> Roots Magic 6 togo
                                                >> Roots Magic 4 ????
                                                >> Roots Magic togo 4 ????
                                                >> Family Insight
                                                >> Get my Ancestors
                                                >> Generation Maps.com
                                                >> Genelines Universal ????
                                                >> Charting Companion ????
                                                >> Map My Family Tree ????
                                                >> Thanks, Carol

                                              • Paul Walworth
                                                Message 23 of 26 , Apr 22, 2013
                                                  The last time I tried the only ones I could change were the ones already on the computer.  Those I was able to upgrade.

                                                  Paul

                                                  ________________________________
                                                  Most if not all on that list are already pre-licensed for a FHC.

                                                  I think I understand what's going on. The computer guy is doing his job to
                                                  make sure everything is legal. What he doesn't know is that some software
                                                  has a enterprise-wide license for FHCs. He just needs to be brought up to
                                                  speed.

                                                  For an official FHC, it is unnecessary to write to each of the vendors just
                                                  to get a piece of paper for the computer guy to put in his 3-ring binder.

                                                  I think most of that software requires a license to run. In that case,
                                                  there should be a screen that shows who the software is licensed to. In
                                                  that case, doing a screen capture of that window should solve the problem.
                                                  If it's licensed to an individual, then there's a problem.

                                                  Yes, you could write to everyone, but that seems like an unnecessary burden
                                                  for the director and the vendor. However, if the "FHC" isn't official,
                                                  then that's what needs to be done.

                                                  On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 3:19 PM, Lois Casson <lcasson@...> wrote:

                                                  > When you write the individual companies they furnish
                                                  > registration/licensing numbers.
                                                  >

                                                  > On 4/22/2013 7:46 PM, Russell Hltn wrote:
                                                  > >
                                                  > > Another thing: A number of those programs won't run without a license. So
                                                  > > just who are the licensed to? I'd look for something like Help > About to
                                                  > > see if that information is there. It may not be licensed to your specific
                                                  > > FHC, but to FHCs in general.
                                                  > >
                                                  > > Assuming you are an official FHC with a unit number, that's not a
                                                  > problem.

                                                • William Rigtrup
                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Apr 22, 2013
                                                    all of the major genealogy programs are free with a blanket download from
                                                    the server. go to the little icon down in your computer tray, right hand
                                                    corner, click on it and they are all their click on the ones you want and
                                                    they are downloaded from Salt Lake via the server, don't have to ask
                                                    permission from anyone.. I forget the name one has a blue B in a circle and
                                                    the other has something else. (sign I am getting old). anyway we got four
                                                    new pc's this last week, one of my tasks is getting those puppies loaded.
                                                    but I have seen very few people actually use them.

                                                    On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 5:20 PM, Lois Casson <lcasson@...> wrote:

                                                    > **
                                                    >

                                                    > All you have to do is write to the individual companies and request the
                                                    > necessary permissions. The Family History Catalog is on
                                                    > FamilySearch.Org though there is a CD. But, if they are not "church"
                                                    > related you may not get those permissions and I am not sure why you
                                                    > would want all the versions of Roots Magic as well as the "to go" versions.
                                                    >
                                                    > Google the name of the software, go to their page, use their contact
                                                    > link, identify yourself as an FHC Director and request the permissions/
                                                    >
                                                    > Lois Casson
                                                    > Pensacola, FL
                                                    >

                                                    > On 4/22/2013 7:02 PM, swensengen@... wrote:
                                                    > >
                                                    > > My computer guy says I need to get licenses for these programs to be
                                                    > > on the FHC computers.
                                                    > > Is there any easy way to do that?
                                                    > >
                                                    > > Leagacy 7.5
                                                    > > Leagacy Charting 7
                                                    > > ?? Personal Historian 2 ????
                                                    > > Family History Catalog ????
                                                    > > Roots Magic 5
                                                    > > Roots Magic5 to go
                                                    > > Roots Magic 6
                                                    > > Roots Magic 6 togo
                                                    > > Roots Magic 4 ????
                                                    > > Roots Magic togo 4 ????
                                                    > > Family Insight
                                                    > > Get my Ancestors
                                                    > > Generation Maps.com
                                                    > > Genelines Universal ????
                                                    > > Charting Companion ????
                                                    > > Map My Family Tree ????
                                                    > > Thanks, Carol

                                                    *Carl Rigtrup*
                                                    425 271-1614

                                                  • Paul Walworth
                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Apr 22, 2013
                                                      You are right, always ask support about any programs added to FHC Computers
                                                      Thanks
                                                      Paul

                                                      ________________________________
> [...]

                                                      > If it's licensed to an individual, then there's a problem.
                                                      >
                                                      > Yes, you could write to everyone, but that seems like an unnecessary burden
                                                      > for the director and the vendor. However, if the "FHC" isn't official,
                                                      > then that's what needs to be done.
                                                      >

                                                      > On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 3:19 PM, Lois Casson <lcasson@...> wrote:
                                                      >
                                                      > > When you write the individual companies they furnish
                                                      > > registration/licensing numbers.
                                                      > >

                                                      > > On 4/22/2013 7:46 PM, Russell Hltn wrote:
                                                      > > >
                                                      > > > Another thing: A number of those programs won't run without a license.
                                                      > So
                                                      > > > just who are the licensed to? I'd look for something like Help > About
                                                      > > > see if that information is there. It may not be licensed to your
                                                      > specific
                                                      > > > FHC, but to FHCs in general.
                                                      > > >
                                                      > > > Assuming you are an official FHC with a unit number, that's not a

                                                    • Terri Jaskolka
                                                      Message 26 of 26 , Apr 23, 2013
                                                        Funny you should mention that. I recently found death certificates for a
                                                        couple in Italy who were visiting Chicago, and got mugged and died there!
                                                        Too bad they didn't know you. :/

                                                        -Terri J.