Re: [FHCNET] New FS format

    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 18, 2013
      Here's one to use first on a variety of sites, then after you've found something using this, make it a source using the Tree Connect item.

      1.  Go to this page on the Chrome Web Store, it is for a browser plugin known as RootsSearch.

      https://chrome.google.com/webstore/search/RootsSearch

      2.  Click the blue install button.

      3.  Once installed, log into FamilySearch Family Tree.

      4.  Go to an ancestor you would like to find records for.

      5.  Open the ancestor's 'person page' where you see all the details about the person.  At this point, look in the far right end of the browser address bar, you will see a blue magnifying glass, click on that.

      6.  A box will pop up below the magnifying glass with the info from Family Tree for that ancestor prefilled.  But when searching, you can add or take out data as needed, or change any parameter.

      7.  You will also see on the right, buttons for a number of free and fee-based sites.  Click on one to search it.  You can even search FamilySearch this way to see if there are other records on the site for your ancestor.

      8.  A  new tab will spawn showing your search results.  If you see a match, you can go to that page, then use Tree Connect to add it to your source box.

      9. A couple of pages are fee-based, such as Ancestry or Find My Past, you can use this in an FHC setting and make quick work of working with those sites there.  Just make a note in your source description if using anything from a pay site as a source, that way people will know that it is on something like Ancestry before they try to view a source.