Sources and Genealogy Management Software

  • Venita
    Message 1 of 26 , Apr 11, 2013
      Assertion A: Not all sources are of equal value.

      1. A family history researcher should source each vital event's date and place.
      2. Vital events are birth, christening, marriage, death and burial.
      3. The best source is a Primary Source, that is, the record that was created at the time of the event by trustworthy witnesses of the event. In other words, a government and/or church record.
      4. The next best source is a Seconday Source. Secondary sources basically fall into two categories:
      - Data extracted from a primary source document. This includes index entries such as those you find in FamilySearch and Ancestry.
      - Supporting documents such as census records, obituaries, wills, military records…
      5. From there, the relative value of "sources" goes downhill quickly, the bottom of the hill being hearsay.

      Assertion B: Family history researchers are most likely to source their data when the process is simple and intuitive. A useful source must contain:

      1. The type of source i.e., government record, church record, burial record
      2. The title of the collection that contains the original record, i.e., Marriage Certificates, Utah County, Utah, United States, 1900-1950 (Note: The categories used in FamilySearch are waaay too broad. "England, Marriages, 1528-1973" is useless!)
      3. The location of the original record, i.e., Utah County Courthouse, Provo, Utah, United States.

      Other fields are bells and whistles.

      Adding information about a particular event for a particular person limits the use of the source to that event for that person. That works in FS/FT, but not in your personal database. Add details after the source is attached to an event. Depending on which genealogy data management program you use, a personal notes field may appear in the attached source, or you may put the personal details in the general notes field.

      Opinion Editorial

      I am an experienced family history researcher. Since my retirement from a career in education in the year 2000, my life has been focused on honing my own research skills and teaching others best practices of family history researchers. In teaching other researchers, I have used Windows PCs with all three of the most popular PC genealogy data management programs. At home I use Mac.

      It has been my observation that the main reason PC users put their source information in the notes instead of creating a source via the program's template is the fault of the design of the source templates. They are horrible!! They are two complicated. They offer too many options to choose from. They overwhelm even the most experienced genealogist. One of the three programs has more then 400 options to choose from in one step of creating a source! Who can deal with that?

      The first onus is on the program developers. PLEASE provide a simple source template to your users!! Instead of trying to cover all the possible options, make it simple, consistent, and intuitive.

      The second onus is on the church Family History department. They must insist that simple, intuitive source templates are part of the genealogy management programs that they certify.

      The third onus is on us! We who teach others must teach correct genealogical principles of research, and best practices in recording genealogical data. I'm looking forward to the day when genealogists worldwide look to Family Tree as an example of both. We are not there yet.

      Venita

      PS: I use Reunion on my Mac.
    • tmason1
      Message 2 of 26 , Apr 11, 2013
        I really like your presentation.

        You stated "The second onus is on the church Family History department. They must insist that simple, intuitive source templates are part of the genealogy management programs that they certify."

        I can not understand how the librarians and archivists who work in the FH main Library and how those with a background in library science have not had a major influence in advising the FH department programmers.

        You want the department to be proactive in setting a good standard for source templates. SO DO I. I do not think that Family Tree offers that intuitive template.

        Terry Mason
        Clermont FL

        --- In FHCNET@yahoogroups.com, Venita <venitar@...> wrote:

> [...]
        >
        > The first onus is on the program developers. PLEASE provide a simple source template to your users!! Instead of trying to cover all the possible options, make it simple, consistent, and intuitive.
        >
        > The second onus is on the church Family History department. They must insist that simple, intuitive source templates are part of the genealogy management programs that they certify.
        >
        > The third onus is on us! We who teach others must teach correct genealogical principles of research, and best practices in recording genealogical data. I'm looking forward to the day when genealogists worldwide look to Family Tree as an example of both. We are not there yet.

      • Venita
        Message 3 of 26 , Apr 12, 2013
          My point exactly, Terry.

          Venita

          On Apr 11, 2013, at 9:39 PM, tmason1 <tmason1@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > >
          > > The first onus is on the program developers. PLEASE provide a simple source template to your users!! Instead of trying to cover all the possible options, make it simple, consistent, and intuitive.
          > >
          > > The second onus is on the church Family History department. They must insist that simple, intuitive source templates are part of the genealogy management programs that they certify.
          > >
          > > The third onus is on us! We who teach others must teach correct genealogical principles of research, and best practices in recording genealogical data. I'm looking forward to the day when genealogists worldwide look to Family Tree as an example of both. We are not there yet.

        • Darlene Kopta
          Message 4 of 26 , Apr 16, 2013
            Last week I taught a workshop on the relevance of providing sources on FT. I told showed them the FT How-To Videos under the Help button as a guide to attach sources. Today I go on and they're no where to be found. :( Does anyone know where the How-To videos are hiding? How do I find them again?

            I like the new changes, I just wish they'd quit moving everything around.

            Darlene in TX

            On Apr 12, 2013, at 12:06 PM, Venita <venitar@...> wrote:

> [...]
            >>>
            >>> The first onus is on the program developers. PLEASE provide a simple source template to your users!! Instead of trying to cover all the possible options, make it simple, consistent, and intuitive.
            >>>
            >>> The second onus is on the church Family History department. They must insist that simple, intuitive source templates are part of the genealogy management programs that they certify.
            >>>
            >>> The third onus is on us! We who teach others must teach correct genealogical principles of research, and best practices in recording genealogical data. I'm looking forward to the day when genealogists worldwide look to Family Tree as an example of both. We are not there yet.

          • Paul Walworth
            Message 5 of 26 , Apr 16, 2013
              Darlene,

              I just tried to see how to find the help videos and I clicked on the help hyperlink before signing in and then on the self help hyperlink.  I then had to sign in and they videos are there.  Hope this helps

              Best Regards
              Paul

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 26 , Apr 16, 2013
                Thanks, Paul.

                Darlene in TX

                On Apr 16, 2013, at 10:37 PM, Paul Walworth <pdgjw1936@...> wrote:

                > Darlene,
                >
                > I just tried to see how to find the help videos and I clicked on the help hyperlink before signing in and then on the self help hyperlink. I then had to sign in and they videos are there. Hope this helps
                >
                > Best Regards
                > Paul
                >
                > ________________________________

              • Bill Buchanan
                Message 7 of 26 , Apr 16, 2013
                  This link also works for some of them.
                  https://familysearch.org/tree-training

                  Bill Buchanan
                  blog: http://billbuchanan.blogspot.com

                  On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 9:37 PM, Paul Walworth <pdgjw1936@...> wrote:

                  > **
                  >

                  > Darlene,
                  >
                  > I just tried to see how to find the help videos and I clicked on the help
                  > hyperlink before signing in and then on the self help hyperlink. I then
                  > had to sign in and they videos are there. Hope this helps
                  >
                  > Best Regards
                  > Paul
                  >
                  > ________________________________

                • Paul Walworth
                  Message 8 of 26 , Apr 16, 2013
                    Darlene,

                    I just went back and that same process did not work but I did finally get there but it does not look the same now as it did just a just a few minutes ago.  But the following URL will take you there.

                    https://familysearch.org/learningcenter/results.html?q=family%20tree%20videos

                    Best Regards
                    Paul

                    ________________________________
> [...]

                    >>> The first onus is on the program developers. PLEASE provide a simple source template to your users!! Instead of trying to cover all the possible options, make it simple, consistent, and intuitive.
                    >>>
                    >>> The second onus is on the church Family History department. They must insist that simple, intuitive source templates are part of the genealogy management programs that they certify.
                    >>>
                    >>> The third onus is on us! We who teach others must teach correct genealogical principles of research, and best practices in recording genealogical data. I'm looking forward to the day when genealogists worldwide look to Family Tree as an example of both. We are not there yet.

                  • Paul Walworth
                    Message 9 of 26 , Apr 16, 2013
                      Bill,

                      Thanks that was the view I found on my first try but was not able to go back there when I tried again.

                      Paul

                      ________________________________
                      > I just tried to see how to find the help videos and I clicked on the help
                      > hyperlink before signing in and then on the self help hyperlink.  I then
                      > had to sign in and they videos are there.  Hope this helps
                      >
                      > Best Regards
                      > Paul
                      >
                      > ________________________________

                    • Paul Walworth
                      Message 10 of 26 , Apr 17, 2013
                        Darlene,

                        You need to thank Bill as he is the one who gave me the familysearch.org/tree-training URL

                        Paul

                        ________________________________
                        > I just tried to see how to find the help videos and I clicked on the help hyperlink before signing in and then on the self help hyperlink.  I then had to sign in and they videos are there.  Hope this helps
                        >
                        > Best Regards
                        > Paul
                        >
                        > ________________________________

                      • Darlene Kopta
                        Message 11 of 26 , Apr 17, 2013
                          Thank you Bill! :) I appreciate all of your information and dedication to this work. I'm not a techie and it is frustrating to finally figure out how to navigate what I believe is a wonderful website, only to have everything change! The heart is willing but the mind. . . well. . .

                          I also appreciated the instructional summary Bill put together of all the tabs. I have many consultants that are in the same position as me and I know they will be frustrated as well with all the changes. I will go over your summary with them to help them feel more confident with the new site.

                          Thanks again.

                          Darlene in TX

                        • Len Ingermanson
                          Message 12 of 26 , Apr 17, 2013
                            To get to the videos, from the familysearch home page,
                            1. Click on Get Help, upper right hand corner.
                            2. Click on Help Center on the pop up screen.
                            3. Click on the Product Support block.
                            4. Click on Family Tree block.
                            5. Scroll down to the Quick Start to Family Tree section and click on More
                            Training Videos
                            That will take you to the familiar page with all the videos and guides.
                            Note: If you continue to scroll down the page in step 5, there is a direct
                            link to the Reference Guide in the Product Support FAQ's.

                            You use these steps so you don't have to remember another URL address.
                            Everything is in the new version, you just have to think like an engineer.

                            Len Ingermanson

                          • Darlene Kopta
                            Message 13 of 26 , Apr 17, 2013
                              Len, I appreciate this step by step process as well. It sure has a lot more hoops to jump through and remember than the last website did.

                              I don't think I like thinking like an engineer! :)

                              Darlene in TX

                            • L.L. Scott
                              Message 14 of 26 , Apr 17, 2013
                                I have not been active in FH the last couple of weeks, had the Crud :-(
                                I worked my shift at the FHC today. I went into FS looking for Historical
                                Records.
                                What a shock! I have used newFS a lot, linking through RootsMagic.
                                Went into my FT today, what a mess! It is so discouraging when thing look
                                good in newFS,
                                then look at FT. Every time I went into familysearch.org I got a different
                                page.
                                I am old, I confuse easy, and I have been working the FHC since 1975 and
                                never had such a drastic change or such a mess.
                                HELP

                                Message 15 of 26 , Apr 17, 2013
                                  I hear you Lee...did my lady from yesterday come in today and talk about
                                  Indians? Lois

                                  On 4/17/2013 8:26 PM, L.L. Scott wrote:

                                  > I have not been active in FH the last couple of weeks, had the Crud :-(
                                  > I worked my shift at the FHC today. I went into FS looking for Historical
                                  > Records.
                                  > What a shock! I have used newFS a lot, linking through RootsMagic.
                                  > Went into my FT today, what a mess! It is so discouraging when thing look
                                  > good in newFS,
                                  > then look at FT. Every time I went into familysearch.org I got a
                                  > different
                                  > page.
                                  > I am old, I confuse easy, and I have been working the FHC since 1975 and
                                  > never had such a drastic change or such a mess.
                                  > HELP

                                • Bill Buchanan
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Apr 17, 2013
                                    I understand the sentiment. In nFS we can hide the spouses and parents we
                                    don't want to see, by selecting those we DO want to see. We can have a
                                    nice, clean-looking pedigree. (The mess is still there but we have hidden
                                    it.) So far in FT, we cannot. But at least in FT we can unlink people from
                                    the wrong family. (i.e. correct the problem instead of hiding it) But
                                    there is a genuine need to be able to see your own ancestors in your
                                    pedigree and not great-grandpa and his other wife. We need to be able to
                                    choose which set of parents to show as the defaults in our pedigree.

                                    Both sites suffer from the inability to combine/merge records of more than
                                    250 records/relationships. This causes an array of pedigree problems and
                                    leads to ordinance work being done over and over again for the same people.
                                    i.e. "There is a green arrow on this particular set of records for our
                                    5GGPs, so let's do the ordinances without checking the multitude of other
                                    sets of records for them." The promise we have been given is that when the
                                    connection between nFS and FT is finally severed, this 250-record problem
                                    will vanish. We will be able to clean-up our pedigrees and life will be
                                    good.

                                    On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 7:26 PM, L.L. Scott <llscott2000@...>wrote:

                                    > **
                                    >

                                    > I have not been active in FH the last couple of weeks, had the Crud :-(
                                    > I worked my shift at the FHC today. I went into FS looking for Historical
                                    > Records.
                                    > What a shock! I have used newFS a lot, linking through RootsMagic.
                                    > Went into my FT today, what a mess! It is so discouraging when thing look
                                    > good in newFS,
                                    > then look at FT. Every time I went into familysearch.org I got a
                                    > different
                                    > page.
                                    > I am old, I confuse easy, and I have been working the FHC since 1975 and
                                    > never had such a drastic change or such a mess.
                                    > HELP

                                  • Paul Walworth
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Apr 17, 2013
                                      Bill,

                                      I have deleted the wrong parents (2) from one man and (4) wrong wife's but I found they sometimes come back.  Could be they have not finished bringing those records over from NFS.  Over all I do enjoy the new system.

                                      Paul
                                      Texas

                                      ________________________________
                                      I understand the sentiment. In nFS we can hide the spouses and parents we
                                      don't want to see, by selecting those we DO want to see. We can have a
                                      nice, clean-looking pedigree. (The mess is still there but we have hidden
                                      it.) So far in FT, we cannot. But at least in FT we can unlink people from
                                      the wrong family. (i.e. correct the problem instead of hiding it)  But
                                      there is a genuine need to be able to see your own ancestors in your
                                      pedigree and not great-grandpa and his other wife. We need to be able to
                                      choose which set of parents to show as the defaults in our pedigree.

                                      Both sites suffer from the inability to combine/merge records of more than
                                      250 records/relationships. This causes an array of pedigree problems and
                                      leads to ordinance work being done over and over again for the same people.
                                      i.e. "There is a green arrow on this particular set of records for our
                                      5GGPs, so let's do the ordinances without checking the multitude of other
                                      sets of records for them." The promise we have been given is that when the
                                      connection between nFS and FT is finally severed, this 250-record problem
                                      will vanish. We will be able to clean-up our pedigrees and life will be
                                      good.

                                      Bill Buchanan
                                      blog: http://billbuchanan.blogspot.com

                                      On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 7:26 PM, L.L. Scott <llscott2000@...>wrote:

                                      > **
                                      >

                                      > I have not been active in FH the last couple of weeks, had the Crud :-(
                                      > I worked my shift at the FHC today. I went into FS looking for Historical
                                      > Records.
                                      > What a shock! I have used newFS a lot, linking through RootsMagic.
                                      > Went into my FT today, what a mess! It is so discouraging when thing look
                                      > good in newFS,
                                      > then look at FT. Every time I went into familysearch.org I got a
                                      > different
                                      > page.
                                      > I am old, I confuse easy, and I have been working the FHC since 1975 and
                                      > never had such a drastic change or such a mess.
                                      > HELP

                                    • L.L. Scott
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Apr 17, 2013
                                        I hear you Lee...did my lady from yesterday come in today and talk about
                                        Indians? Lois

                                        On 4/17/2013 8:26 PM, L.L. Scott wrote:

                                        > I have not been active in FH the last couple of weeks, had the Crud :-(
                                        > I worked my shift at the FHC today. I went into FS looking for Historical
                                        > Records.
                                        > What a shock! I have used newFS a lot, linking through RootsMagic.
                                        > Went into my FT today, what a mess! It is so discouraging when thing look
                                        > good in newFS,
                                        > then look at FT. Every time I went into familysearch.org I got a
                                        > different
                                        > page.
                                        > I am old, I confuse easy, and I have been working the FHC since 1975 and
                                        > never had such a drastic change or such a mess.
                                        > HELP

                                      • L.L. Scott
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Apr 17, 2013
                                          I think cleaning up my FT is going to be a full time job.
                                          Just in the few families I worked today, some had to many children or not
                                          enough and looking for a duplicate search did not bring up the right people.
                                          I have to go to RM, find the individual, log on to newFS to get the PID#,
                                          then back to FT and search by PID#. I only have about 6,000 people in my
                                          database?????

                                          Message 20 of 26 , Apr 17, 2013
                                            I know, but I am going to wait on some of these as I know I put them into NFS.

                                            Paul

                                            ________________________________

                                            Message 21 of 26 , Apr 18, 2013
                                              Len - You can also get to the training materials anywhere that you can find the Feedback link in Tree. Click on Feedback and then Self Help and you will be directed to the Classic version of the Tree Help Center and the link
                                              "See all Family Tree training materials (manuals, videos, etc.)"
                                              is right there to click on to get to the training materials.
                                              I have found this link (Feedback) only located at the bottom of a person card in Tree or at the bottom of the Help Center page (Get Help then Help Center). There may be other places but I haven't found them.
                                              Bob Givens

                                              Message 22 of 26 , Apr 18, 2013
                                                Your complaints point out the major problem that exists right now in the Family Search world - two competing data programs that work differently with one set of data. We simply need to stop using new.familysearch (except to check the combined records for records that need to be separated.) We need to move over to tree and do our work there. The only way to get familiar with this program is to get in there and use it. Spend time viewing the learning aids that have been provided.
                                                One of the reasons you get a different view in the two programs is that the relationship changes that can be accomplished in Tree are not reflected in nFS. You shouldn't expect to see the same thing any longer. NFS will be closed down soon. Look at the paragraph that is placed by a record that is an IOUS that can't be merged in Tree:
                                                "These records cannot be merged because the corresponding combined record in new.familysearch.org would be too large. To merge these records, please wait until new.familysearch.org shuts down.Contact FamilySearch"
                                                Our old friend nFS (and I have known her since 2007) is like an old family history that was poorly sourced. It is OK to take a look there for some ideas (especially if records got combined poorly, or if it might show an ordinance that got lost in merging in Tree) but you best start doing your serious work over in Tree as for now that is the product of FamilySearch that will be ongoing.
                                                Bob Givens
                                                --- In FHCNET@yahoogroups.com, "L.L. Scott" <llscott2000@...> wrote:

                                                > I have not been active in FH the last couple of weeks, had the Crud :-(
                                                > I worked my shift at the FHC today. I went into FS looking for Historical
                                                > Records.
                                                > What a shock! I have used newFS a lot, linking through RootsMagic.
                                                > Went into my FT today, what a mess! It is so discouraging when thing look
                                                > good in newFS,
                                                > then look at FT. Every time I went into familysearch.org I got a different
                                                > page.
                                                > I am old, I confuse easy, and I have been working the FHC since 1975 and
                                                > never had such a drastic change or such a mess.
                                                > HELP
                                              • Robert Givens
                                                Message 23 of 26 , Apr 18, 2013
                                                  Paul - The data (people) have all been brought over unless someone finds a record glitch. These relationships come back primarily if people use 3rd party software that accesses new.familysearch and do a poor job of combining (merging) records. BTW - those changes come over to Tree as being done by FamilySearch when it was really an individual doing this. There are some other causes but that is the current major reason. When relationships come back look at the history of the person and see if a real person is shown as doing it or if it was "FamilySearch." If it has a person's name then it was done in Tree by another user. If it says "FamilySearch" it is caused by something done over in nFS. Of course temple work would be recorded as FS but the vast majority of changes labled FS is coming from changes being made in nFS. If you change a record's relationships in Tree and later a person comes along in nFS and makes a change to the record it will often reset the Tree version of the person back to the way it was before the changes were made.
                                                  We simply need to stop actually working in nFS - work in Tree and just look in nFS.
                                                  Bob Givens

                                                  --- In FHCNET@yahoogroups.com, Paul Walworth <pdgjw1936@...> wrote:

                                                  > Bill,
                                                  >
                                                  > I have deleted the wrong parents (2) from one man and (4) wrong wife's but I found they sometimes come back.  Could be they have not finished bringing those records over from NFS.  Over all I do enjoy the new system.
                                                  >

                                                  > Paul
                                                  > Texas
                                                  >

                                                  > ________________________________

                                                • Paul Walworth
                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Apr 18, 2013
                                                    The shortest way is by using the URL; familysearch.org/tree-training.  I have tried some other links but it seems at least for me they keep changing plus the process is one hyperlink after another.  So for me it is easier to just open one more website and toggle back and forth without leaving my Family Tree link.

                                                    Paul

                                                    ________________________________

                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Apr 18, 2013
                                                      Bob,
                                                      Thanks, it does seem strange when one man ends up with three parents and five wives and after I corrected this error that it would come back.  I no longer use NFS.  For one reason, when they first put Family Tree online, I tried to enact some of those changes and NFS sent me to Family Tree.  Since then I have not use NFS, plus I find Family Tree is much more user friendly.  I know change is hard for many of us, but at my age if I do not make many changes I am not able to do certain functions, so I have had to learn to adapt or not do them at all.

                                                      Paul

                                                      ________________________________
                                                      Paul - The data (people) have all been brought over unless someone finds a record glitch. These relationships come back primarily if people use 3rd party software that accesses new.familysearch and do a poor job of combining (merging) records. BTW - those changes come over to Tree as being done by FamilySearch when it was really an individual doing this. There are some other causes but that is the current major reason. When relationships come back look at the history of the person and see if a real person is shown as doing it or if it was "FamilySearch." If it has a person's name then it was done in Tree by another user. If it says "FamilySearch" it is caused by something done over in nFS. Of course temple work would be recorded as FS but the vast majority of changes labled FS is coming from changes being made in nFS. If you change a record's relationships in Tree and later a person comes along in nFS and makes a change to the record it will often
                                                      reset the Tree version of the person back to the way it was before the changes were made.
                                                      We simply need to stop actually working in nFS - work in Tree and just look in nFS.
                                                      Bob Givens

                                                      --- In FHCNET@yahoogroups.com, Paul Walworth <pdgjw1936@...> wrote:

                                                      > Bill,
                                                      >
                                                      > I have deleted the wrong parents (2) from one man and (4) wrong wife's but I found they sometimes come back.  Could be they have not finished bringing those records over from NFS.  Over all I do enjoy the new system.
                                                      >

                                                      > Paul
                                                      > Texas

                                                    • Bill Buchanan
                                                      Message 26 of 26 , Apr 18, 2013
                                                        One thing I found interesting, is that when I have helped patrons to
                                                        correct things in FT, they SOMETIMES are also corrected in nFS. I had come
                                                        to not expect that.

                                                        nFS is still used for qualifying ordinances, so if "Needs more information"
                                                        remains after correcting a name or non-standardized date or place in FT,
                                                        also check it in nFS and correct it there. The main problems seem to be
                                                        parentheses or terms such as son, daughter, or twin in a name.