Re: [FHCNET] Family Tree stuff

    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 2, 2013
      I have also been busy in Family Tree, unlinking relationships, merging
      duplicates (unmerging them sometimes), going back into the history and
      restoring changes, adding sources to support my changes, attaching a
      variety of source records from all over the web, and adding photos and
      stories. These are all working wonderfully, in my opinion. I even did some
      live during the 5th Sunday combined meeting. Everything seems to work so
      smoothly. My only problem is with the photos. I identified the wrong person
      in a photo and even though I have deleted the photo from the album that
      wrong photo continues to show up as the thumbnail portrait for the person.
      I have another photo where the circle decided to relocate itself to
      an empty area on the photo and now that spot is tagged as the person. I
      have moved it and edited it several times but it keeps reverting back to
      the empty area. Does anyone know how to correct that?

      Miles Meyer
      Jacksonville, FL

      "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get
      better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

      On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 2:02 PM, Joan Raney <raneyj@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > I am not currently having any Family Tree issues. I am working on
      > attaching sources to my immediate family members, which is taking a bit
      > more time than I had anticipated, but not having any problems other than
      > finding the time to do it.
      >
      > I have done some merging in FT as well as deleting incorrect
      > relationships. So far, so good. I am hoping that anyone seeing my part of
      > FT will see my sources and leave my tree alone--unless they have better
      > sources, then I hope they will contact me and we can talk.
      >
      > I have two individuals on my family tree that I wish I could submit for
      > ordinances. But they were born too recently and I don't know of any closer
      > family members to ask permission, so they sit out there in FT and maybe
      > someone more related to them will do them.
      >
      > Joan Raney
      > Charlotte, NC

    • Bill Buchanan
      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 2, 2013
        Miles,

        I have been busily adding old photos and old stories to FT. I ran into the
        first problem you mention, but have not found a solution. (I have a default
        image that was part of a since-deleted photo, and repeated attempts have
        failed to change the default photo.) I should try again, as the site is
        constantly changing, and what doesn't work one day may work the next.

        In the second case, with many people with the same names, I occasionally
        link my tag in the photo or story to the wrong person on the tree. This
        solution will work works for my problem and it should work for yours. Open
        the photo or story, click on the bad tag and delete it using the drop-down
        list beside the tag. Now that the bad tag is gone, create a good one to
        solve the problem.

        Bill Buchanan
        blog: http://billbuchanan.blogspot.com

        On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 12:13 PM, Miles Meyer <milesmeyer@...> wrote:

        > I have also been busy in Family Tree, unlinking relationships, merging
        > duplicates (unmerging them sometimes), going back into the history and
        > restoring changes, adding sources to support my changes, attaching a
        > variety of source records from all over the web, and adding photos and
        > stories. These are all working wonderfully, in my opinion. I even did some
        > live during the 5th Sunday combined meeting. Everything seems to work so
        > smoothly. My only problem is with the photos. I identified the wrong person
        > in a photo and even though I have deleted the photo from the album that
        > wrong photo continues to show up as the thumbnail portrait for the person.
        > I have another photo where the circle decided to relocate itself to
        > an empty area on the photo and now that spot is tagged as the person. I
        > have moved it and edited it several times but it keeps reverting back to
        > the empty area. Does anyone know how to correct that?
        >
        > Miles Meyer
        > Jacksonville, FL
        >
        > "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get
        > better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss, The Lorax
        >

        > On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 2:02 PM, Joan Raney <raneyj@...> wrote:
        >
        > > **
        > >

        > > I am not currently having any Family Tree issues. I am working on
        > > attaching sources to my immediate family members, which is taking a bit
        > > more time than I had anticipated, but not having any problems other than
        > > finding the time to do it.
        > >
        > > I have done some merging in FT as well as deleting incorrect
        > > relationships. So far, so good. I am hoping that anyone seeing my part of
        > > FT will see my sources and leave my tree alone--unless they have better
        > > sources, then I hope they will contact me and we can talk.
        > >
        > > I have two individuals on my family tree that I wish I could submit for
        > > ordinances. But they were born too recently and I don't know of any
        > closer
        > > family members to ask permission, so they sit out there in FT and maybe
        > > someone more related to them will do them.
        > >
        > > Joan Raney
        > > Charlotte, NC

      • amadori2
        Message 3 of 18 , Apr 2, 2013
          I had the same problem with a bad tag in Photos a few months ago. I ended up deleting all the photos that tag was related to. Doing that finally deleted the bad tag too. I then uploaded them and tagged them again. Problem solved.

          I would hope there is a better way to do this now but that is what worked for me then.

          Ann A.

          --- In FHCNET@yahoogroups.com, Miles Meyer <milesmeyer@...> wrote:

          > I have also been busy in Family Tree, unlinking relationships, merging
          > duplicates (unmerging them sometimes), going back into the history and
          > restoring changes, adding sources to support my changes, attaching a
          > variety of source records from all over the web, and adding photos and
          > stories. These are all working wonderfully, in my opinion. I even did some
          > live during the 5th Sunday combined meeting. Everything seems to work so
          > smoothly. My only problem is with the photos. I identified the wrong person
          > in a photo and even though I have deleted the photo from the album that
          > wrong photo continues to show up as the thumbnail portrait for the person.
          > I have another photo where the circle decided to relocate itself to
          > an empty area on the photo and now that spot is tagged as the person. I
          > have moved it and edited it several times but it keeps reverting back to
          > the empty area. Does anyone know how to correct that?
          >
          > Miles Meyer
          > Jacksonville, FL
          >
          > "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get
          > better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss, The Lorax
          >

          > On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 2:02 PM, Joan Raney <raneyj@...> wrote:
          >
          > > **
          > >

          > > I am not currently having any Family Tree issues. I am working on
          > > attaching sources to my immediate family members, which is taking a bit
          > > more time than I had anticipated, but not having any problems other than
          > > finding the time to do it.
          > >
          > > I have done some merging in FT as well as deleting incorrect
          > > relationships. So far, so good. I am hoping that anyone seeing my part of
          > > FT will see my sources and leave my tree alone--unless they have better
          > > sources, then I hope they will contact me and we can talk.
          > >
          > > I have two individuals on my family tree that I wish I could submit for
          > > ordinances. But they were born too recently and I don't know of any closer
          > > family members to ask permission, so they sit out there in FT and maybe
          > > someone more related to them will do them.
          > >
          > > Joan Raney
          > > Charlotte, NC

        • Paul Walworth
          Message 4 of 18 , Apr 2, 2013
            They are thinking about putting a hyperlink so we can move back and forth between familysearch.org and familysearch.org/tree
            This should help speed the process up some.

            Paul

            ________________________________
            I had the same problem with a bad tag in Photos a few months ago. I ended up deleting all the photos that tag was related to. Doing that finally deleted the bad tag too. I then uploaded them and tagged them again. Problem solved.

            I would hope there is a better way to do this now but that is what worked for me then.

            Ann A.

            --- In FHCNET@yahoogroups.com, Miles Meyer <milesmeyer@...> wrote:

            > I have also been busy in Family Tree, unlinking relationships, merging
            > duplicates (unmerging them sometimes), going back into the history and
            > restoring changes, adding sources to support my changes, attaching a
            > variety of source records from all over the web, and adding photos and
            > stories. These are all working wonderfully, in my opinion. I even did some
            > live during the 5th Sunday combined meeting. Everything seems to work so
            > smoothly. My only problem is with the photos. I identified the wrong person
            > in a photo and even though I have deleted the photo from the album that
            > wrong photo continues to show up as the thumbnail portrait for the person.
            > I have another photo where the circle decided to relocate itself to
            > an empty area on the photo and now that spot is tagged as the person. I
            > have moved it and edited it several times but it keeps reverting back to
            > the empty area. Does anyone know how to correct that?
            >
            > Miles Meyer
            > Jacksonville, FL
            >
            > "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get
            > better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss, The Lorax
            >

            > On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 2:02 PM, Joan Raney <raneyj@...> wrote:
            >
            > > **
            > >

            > > I am not currently having any Family Tree issues. I am working on
            > > attaching sources to my immediate family members, which is taking a bit
            > > more time than I had anticipated, but not having any problems other than
            > > finding the time to do it.
            > >
            > > I have done some merging in FT as well as deleting incorrect
            > > relationships. So far, so good. I am hoping that anyone seeing my part of
            > > FT will see my sources and leave my tree alone--unless they have better
            > > sources, then I hope they will contact me and we can talk.
            > >
            > > I have two individuals on my family tree that I wish I could submit for
            > > ordinances. But they were born too recently and I don't know of any closer
            > > family members to ask permission, so they sit out there in FT and maybe
            > > someone more related to them will do them.
            > >
            > > Joan Raney
            > > Charlotte, NC

          • Joan Raney
            Message 5 of 18 , Apr 3, 2013
              Paul wrote:
              They are thinking about putting a hyperlink so we can move back and forth between familysearch.org and familysearch.org/tree  This should help speed the process up some.

              I really would like to see that. What I'm doing now is finding documents in FS and adding them to my source box. Then I go into FT and start adding sources from my source box. It would be nice to have an easy way to go from FS to FT and back to FS without going around the world.

              I haven't tried adding photos yet. Someone posted a how-to not too long ago on how to add photos but I think I lost the email. I should try looking for it.

              Joan
              Message 6 of 18 , Apr 3, 2013
                Joan, I got away from the back and forth between FS and FT by using the
                Tree Connect extension in Chrome. You can also have FS and FT open in
                different tabs. Tree Connect lets you link the source that you find in FS
                directly with the name in FT and then it will open the FT person page so
                you can see the source linked.

                As for teh photos, just go to familysearch.org/photos and there is a big
                green + toward the top of the page that says upload. Just drag and drop
                your photos there and then tag them. By the way, the Photos pages has now
                updated to the new format. Just saw that when I went there this morning.
                That means the rest of the sites are getting ready for their updates soon.
                Time for everyone to start commenting.

                On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 7:47 AM, Joan Raney <raneyj@...> wrote:

                > **
                >

                > Paul wrote:
                > They are thinking about putting a hyperlink so we can move back and forth
                > between familysearch.org and familysearch.org/tree This should help
                > speed the process up some.
                >
                > I really would like to see that. What I'm doing now is finding documents
                > in FS and adding them to my source box. Then I go into FT and start adding
                > sources from my source box. It would be nice to have an easy way to go from
                > FS to FT and back to FS without going around the world.
                >
                > I haven't tried adding photos yet. Someone posted a how-to not too long
                > ago on how to add photos but I think I lost the email. I should try looking
                > for it.
                >
                > Joan

              • Finn
                Message 7 of 18 , Apr 3, 2013
                  One easy way to switch between FamilySearch.org and Family Tree is:
                  From FamilySearch.org hold done the Ctrl key then select Family Tree,
                  this will open another tab. You will then be able to toggle back and
                  forth between the two.

                  Finn

                  Message 8 of 18 , Apr 3, 2013
                    After checking a few of my family tree I did find that if the ID numbers given in Family Tree do not agree the program will not find them.  So now with them changing everything around there will be times I will have to go to the search process again.  But I do like the added features to my software program.

                    Paul

                    ________________________________
                    Joan, I got away from the back and forth between FS and FT by using the
                    Tree Connect extension in Chrome. You can also have FS and FT open in
                    different tabs. Tree Connect lets you link the source that you find in FS
                    directly with the name in FT and then it will open the FT person page so
                    you can see the source linked.

                    As for teh photos, just go to familysearch.org/photos and there is a big
                    green + toward the top of the page that says upload. Just drag and drop
                    your photos there and then tag them. By the way, the Photos pages has now
                    updated to the new format. Just saw that when I went there this morning.
                    That means the rest of the sites are getting ready for their updates soon.
                    Time for everyone to start commenting.

                    Miles Meyer
                    Jacksonville, FL

                    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get
                    better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

                    On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 7:47 AM, Joan Raney <raneyj@...> wrote:

                    > **
                    >

                    > Paul wrote:
                    > They are thinking about putting a hyperlink so we can move back and forth
                    > between familysearch.org and familysearch.org/tree  This should help
                    > speed the process up some.
                    >
                    > I really would like to see that. What I'm doing now is finding documents
                    > in FS and adding them to my source box. Then I go into FT and start adding
                    > sources from my source box. It would be nice to have an easy way to go from
                    > FS to FT and back to FS without going around the world.
                    >
                    > I haven't tried adding photos yet. Someone posted a how-to not too long
                    > ago on how to add photos but I think I lost the email. I should try looking
                    > for it.
                    >
                    > Joan

                  • Paul Walworth
                    Message 9 of 18 , Apr 3, 2013
                      I found that my software program allows me to work directly with Family Tree but so far not for photos or histories.

                      Paul

                      ________________________________
                      Joan, I got away from the back and forth between FS and FT by using the
                      Tree Connect extension in Chrome. You can also have FS and FT open in
                      different tabs. Tree Connect lets you link the source that you find in FS
                      directly with the name in FT and then it will open the FT person page so
                      you can see the source linked.

                      As for teh photos, just go to familysearch.org/photos and there is a big
                      green + toward the top of the page that says upload. Just drag and drop
                      your photos there and then tag them. By the way, the Photos pages has now
                      updated to the new format. Just saw that when I went there this morning.
                      That means the rest of the sites are getting ready for their updates soon.
                      Time for everyone to start commenting.

                      Miles Meyer
                      Jacksonville, FL

                      "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get
                      better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

                      On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 7:47 AM, Joan Raney <raneyj@...> wrote:

                      > **
                      >

                      > Paul wrote:
                      > They are thinking about putting a hyperlink so we can move back and forth
                      > between familysearch.org and familysearch.org/tree  This should help
                      > speed the process up some.
                      >
                      > I really would like to see that. What I'm doing now is finding documents
                      > in FS and adding them to my source box. Then I go into FT and start adding
                      > sources from my source box. It would be nice to have an easy way to go from
                      > FS to FT and back to FS without going around the world.
                      >
                      > I haven't tried adding photos yet. Someone posted a how-to not too long
                      > ago on how to add photos but I think I lost the email. I should try looking
                      > for it.
                      >
                      > Joan

                    • Snow, Donald R
                      Message 10 of 18 , Apr 3, 2013
                        Joan, I don't know if this will help with what you are doing, but here's
                        what I've found helpful in linking sources to people in FS FT. After I
                        get the sources into my Source Box, I open my Source Box in one tab of
                        the browser and FS FT in another tab. Then without losing my place in
                        either, I can easily go back and forth to see the sources I've collected
                        and enter them to the people they go to in FS FT.

                        Don

                        --
                        Dr. Donald R. Snow, Retired Professor of Mathematics
                        Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah - snowd@...

                      • Joan Raney
                        Message 11 of 18 , Apr 3, 2013
                          I was able to add 2 photos of my parents into FS. However, the initial tags for them produced thumbnails of their noses! I did another tag for each photo. I went back to FS and the photos are there! Cool!!!

                          Joan
                        • Paul Walworth
                          Message 12 of 18 , Apr 4, 2013
                            I am still waiting to see when they link them with a hyperlink to make it easier to work with later.

                            Paul

                            ________________________________

                            --
                            Dr. Donald R. Snow, Retired Professor of Mathematics
                            Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah - snowd@...

                          • Terri Jaskolka
                            Message 13 of 18 , Apr 6, 2013
                              This is where I LOVE having multiple monitors. I have my laptop hooked up
                              to a flat panel monitor with independent displays, bring up FamilySearch on
                              one screen and use Family Tree on the other, and proceed like what has been
                              described using separate browser tabs.

                              I am having a blast adding images from FamilySearch to Family Tree, even
                              though they haven't yet been indexed for the area in which the family
                              lived. I'm counting on the promise that the URLs will not change to make my
                              documentation of the Family Tree something that will last the ages. :)

                              -Terri J.

                              On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 7:47 AM, Joan Raney <raneyj@...> wrote:

                              > Paul wrote:
                              > They are thinking about putting a hyperlink so we can move back and forth
                              > between familysearch.org and familysearch.org/tree This should help
                              > speed the process up some.
                              >
                              > I really would like to see that. What I'm doing now is finding documents
                              > in FS and adding them to my source box. Then I go into FT and start adding
                              > sources from my source box. It would be nice to have an easy way to go
                              > from FS to FT and back to FS without going around the world.
                              >
                              > I haven't tried adding photos yet. Someone posted a how-to not too long
                              > ago on how to add photos but I think I lost the email. I should try
                              > looking for it.
                              >
                              > Joan

                            • tmason1
                              Message 14 of 18 , Apr 7, 2013
                                How are you adding "images" to Family Tree. Are you just using the Photos feature? That feature is not the place to put copies of certificates or obituary notices, is it? I have thousands of images of birth and death records but I have been told that we must wait to attach documents into the Family Tree database. (Perhaps that is because documents are linked to events instead of just to the person.)

                                I am going to start a new thread about entering Sources into Family Tree. I hope you will continue this discussion there.

                                Terry Mason
                                Clermont FL

                                --- In FHCNET@yahoogroups.com, Terri Jaskolka <tjaskolka@...> wrote:

                                > <snip>
                                >
                                > I am having a blast adding images from FamilySearch to Family Tree, even
                                > though they haven't yet been indexed for the area in which the family
                                > lived. I'm counting on the promise that the URLs will not change to make my
                                > documentation of the Family Tree something that will last the ages. :)
                                >
                                > -Terri J.
                                >
                                > On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 7:47 AM, Joan Raney <raneyj@...> wrote:
                                >
                                > > What I'm doing now is finding documents
                                > > in FS and adding them to my source box. Then I go into FT and start adding
                                > > sources from my source box. It would be nice to have an easy way to go
                                > > from FS to FT and back to FS without going around the world.
                                > >
                                > > I haven't tried adding photos yet.
                                > >
                                > > Joan
                              • Paul Walworth
                                Message 15 of 18 , Apr 7, 2013
                                  From what I see, if you have them saved as a Photo file that may be the only place to put them.  I am kind of wondering as I was invited to go to the Beta website and it says that the records, photos and histories-stories will go away when it is upgraded.  Now I am not sure if they are talking about the Beta version only or what but I do hope we are not doing all this work just for training.  So that looks like one more email to support to help clear up this question.

                                  Paul

                                  How are you adding "images" to Family Tree. Are you just using the Photos feature? That feature is not the place to put copies of certificates or obituary notices, is it? I have thousands of images of birth and death records but I have been told that we must wait to attach documents into the Family Tree database. (Perhaps that is because documents are linked to events instead of just to the person.)

                                  I am going to start a new thread about entering Sources into Family Tree. I hope you will continue this discussion there.

                                  Terry Mason
                                  Clermont FL

                                  --- In FHCNET@yahoogroups.com, Terri Jaskolka <tjaskolka@...> wrote:

                                  > <snip>
                                  >
                                  > I am having a blast adding images from FamilySearch to Family Tree, even
                                  > though they haven't yet been indexed for the area in which the family
                                  > lived. I'm counting on the promise that the URLs will not change to make my
                                  > documentation of the Family Tree something that will last the ages. :)
                                  >
                                  > -Terri J.
                                  >
                                  > On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 7:47 AM, Joan Raney <raneyj@...> wrote:
                                  >
                                  > > What I'm doing now is finding documents
                                  > > in FS and adding them to my source box. Then I go into FT and start adding
                                  > > sources from my source box. It would be nice to have an easy way to go
                                  > > from FS to FT and back to FS without going around the world.
                                  > >
                                  > > I haven't tried adding photos yet.
                                  > >
                                  > > Joan

                                • Bill Buchanan
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Apr 7, 2013
                                    Paul,

                                    Any content added to the FT beta site will eventually disappear, so we
                                    discourage its use.

                                    But anything added to the main FT site (https://familysearch./org/tree)
                                    will not disappear, although it may be subsequently edited by users. The
                                    Photos and Stories features of FT are in a "beta" phase, but the contents
                                    will not disappear.

                                    It can be confusing to know what the plan is for the various "betas".

                                    On Sun, Apr 7, 2013 at 1:47 PM, Paul Walworth <pdgjw1936@...> wrote:

                                    > **
                                    >

                                    > From what I see, if you have them saved as a Photo file that may be the
                                    > only place to put them. I am kind of wondering as I was invited to go to
                                    > the Beta website and it says that the records, photos and histories-stories
                                    > will go away when it is upgraded. Now I am not sure if they are talking
                                    > about the Beta version only or what but I do hope we are not doing all this
                                    > work just for training. So that looks like one more email to support to
                                    > help clear up this question.
                                    >
                                    > Paul
                                    >

                                    > How are you adding "images" to Family Tree. Are you just using the Photos
                                    > feature? That feature is not the place to put copies of certificates or
                                    > obituary notices, is it? I have thousands of images of birth and death
                                    > records but I have been told that we must wait to attach documents into the
                                    > Family Tree database. (Perhaps that is because documents are linked to
                                    > events instead of just to the person.)
                                    >
                                    > I am going to start a new thread about entering Sources into Family Tree.
                                    > I hope you will continue this discussion there.
                                    >
                                    > Terry Mason
                                    > Clermont FL
                                    >
                                    > --- In FHCNET@yahoogroups.com, Terri Jaskolka <tjaskolka@...> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > <snip>
                                    > >
                                    > > I am having a blast adding images from FamilySearch to Family Tree, even
                                    > > though they haven't yet been indexed for the area in which the family
                                    > > lived. I'm counting on the promise that the URLs will not change to make
                                    > my
                                    > > documentation of the Family Tree something that will last the ages. :)
                                    > >
                                    > > -Terri J.
                                    > >
                                    > > On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 7:47 AM, Joan Raney <raneyj@...> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > > What I'm doing now is finding documents
                                    > > > in FS and adding them to my source box. Then I go into FT and start
                                    > adding
                                    > > > sources from my source box. It would be nice to have an easy way to go
                                    > > > from FS to FT and back to FS without going around the world.
                                    > > >
                                    > > > I haven't tried adding photos yet.
                                    > > >
                                    > > > Joan

                                  • Paul Walworth
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Apr 7, 2013
                                      Bill,

                                      Thanks I kind of thought that when I was where.  But it was nice to see some of the changes taking place all the time.

                                      I remember getting the instructions on how to add photos and histories, etc.  The hyperlinks they showed were not there until later that day.

                                      Paul