Re: [FHCNET] Permanent site for sources

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 21, 2013
      I have also been using Tree Connect also. I wouldn't be too worried about
      the website moving for a couple reasons. The source info is still valid and
      lets others know where you found the information that lead to your
      conclusions. Some records, such as Find A Grave and FamilySearch are pretty
      stable and don't tend to move the sites. If the site moves you still have
      the record and can edit it to relocate the new location of the online
      record.

      Miles Meyer

      "We're in a giant car heading toward a brick wall and everyone's arguing
      over where they're going to sit." -- David Suzuki

      On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 7:14 PM, Elliott Corbett Jr <escorbett@...>wrote:

      > **
      >

      > I have started using Tree Connect to create sources. Using this 3rd
      > party's site for storing the sources make me a little apprehensive however.
      > Since web sites come and go all could be lost at some point. Would it be
      > wise to wait to see if familysearch will eventually create storage space
      > and the ablility to create sources from documents not on line?
      >
      > Thanks for the wise input
      > Elliott Corbett

    • Venita
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 22, 2013
        If you are careful to include the location of the original record in your source citation, losing a website won't be so disastrous. Future researchers will be able to find the record if they know where the original is stored. If the source citation only points to a website, and the website goes away or the URL changes…

        Personal experience: I had a website hosted by a particular provider for over 10 years. Suddenly, that provider decided not to host websites anymore, so I had to move it to another provider. Any links that had been made to any of my pages are no longer valid. Unexpected things happen.

        Just a word to the wise.

        Venita

        Family History and Other Fascinations
        venitap.com

        Free book:
        "John Lambert, Bodyguard to Joseph Smith"
        venitap.com