Sub and Staff Meeting

  • Kim
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 4, 2013
      Just writing a note to ask if anyone could sub for Pat Manesse this
      Thursday from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.

      Please call/email Pat or myself if you could help.

      Also, a reminder that our staff meeting will March 12th. Invite anyone
      that would be interested in adding photos to FamilySearch Family Tree.

      Thanks,
      Kim

    • Lise Embley
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 5, 2013
        I'll be right over! Wait... where are you? ;-)

        On Mon, Mar 4, 2013 at 11:38 PM, Kim <axno4u2@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Just writing a note to ask if anyone could sub for Pat Manesse this
        > Thursday from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
        >
        > Please call/email Pat or myself if you could help.
        >
        > Also, a reminder that our staff meeting will March 12th. Invite anyone
        > that would be interested in adding photos to FamilySearch Family Tree.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Kim

        Lise Embley
        757/645-9237 home
        757/903-5706 cell
      • tmason1
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 5, 2013
          Kim,

          (1) Did you post something to FHCNET that was meant for ONLY your local FH Center staff?

          It would be really nice if people would indicate where their center is by stating their location beneath their name when completing a message.

          Lise,

          Do you realize that your are posting your home and cell phone number so that anyone accessing this public formum on the Internet can identify you and spam your home and cell phones?

          It is likely that you used your mobile device to post on FHCNET and your signature file on your device lists contact information.

          Terry Mason
          Clermont FL

          --- In FHCNET@yahoogroups.com, Lise Embley <lise.embley@...> wrote:

          > I'll be right over! Wait... where are you? ;-)
          >
          > On Mon, Mar 4, 2013 at 11:38 PM, Kim <axno4u2@...> wrote:
          >
          > > Just writing a note to ask if anyone could sub for Pat Manesse this
          > > Thursday from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
          > >
          > > Please call/email Pat or myself if you could help.
          > >
          > > Also, a reminder that our staff meeting will March 12th. Invite anyone
          > > that would be interested in adding photos to FamilySearch Family Tree.
          > >
          > > Thanks,
          > > Kim
          >
          > --
          > Lise Embley
          > xxx/xxx-xxxx home
          > xxx/xxx-xxxx cell
          > http://focusonfamilyhistory.blogspot.com/
          > http://xxxxxxxxx.xxxxxx.xxx/xxxx.xxxxxx
          > http://familyhistoryfinds.blogspot.com/
        • tmason1
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 5, 2013
            Speaking of the topic of Staff Meetings.

            A few weeks ago the FH Department web site for training for Family History Consultants (FH center staff) was changed from "familysearch.org/serve" to
            https://www.lds.org/callings/temple-and-family-history .

            In doing so it seems that all the on-line training modules have been eliminated and replaced with short videos.

            As a retired professional educator, I for one don't think that videos will do the job of training.

            In going through the material that is listed on the "newly" designed web site, there are several places which have "503 Service Unavailable" or "opps - site not found" links. (Yes I give feedback.) But those errors show poor programming techniques. Errors should be detected before releasing the site instead of waiting for the users to find and report on the poorly written code. Don't run faster that you have strength.

            In all the material I only find one place where there is a suggestion that when a Bishop issues a call to a Family History consultant that he is to tells that person they are to report to the HPGL. That one fact is suggested only is a checklist in Appendix A of the "Family History Consultant's Guide". The Consultant's Guide was released in August 2008.

            Yes, I am very familiar with the "Leaders Guide - To_Turn_the_Hearts" which does say that HPGLs direct the work in the ward. On page 20 of the "Leaders Guide" it says "Consultants register at FamilySearch.org/serve to receive information, training, and updates from the Church." But there is no checklist in the Leaders Guide which walks the Bishop through his interview or that guides the supervision efforts of the HPGL. That manual is about teaching the doctrine and giving assignments, but it doesn't really guide the consultant as their learn their duties.

            I don't think the training for consultants is specific enough.
            For example:

            * The new consultant sits in front of the HPGL and asks, "What do I need to know to be effective in my calling?" (Don't laugh if the HPGL doesn't know.)

            * What if there are no experienced consultants in the ward/branch to help the newly called person? Who will tell them to register at the above listed site?

            Additonal questions:
            * Why use personal software programs in addition to family tree? How do I learn about personal software programs?

            * Who will tell the newly called person about all the materials available if I went to https://familysearch.org/help/self-help ?

            * As a new consultant "How do you help a member register to use Family Tree and Family Search?"

            * How do you use the FH Library catalog? (Remember the video about "Where is the card catalog?")

            * What is research? Where do you go to find answers to research questions?

            * How important is it to document my sources as I go?

            Do all of you just teach about the new Photos feature to Family Tree?
            What do you teach your staff about how to respond to a patron who just walks into your center? What reference do you use to teach the staff member about how to respond appropriately? (Hint: Refer to the section titled "Helping Patrons Reference Guide" in the "Family History Center Operations Guide" published in May 2006.)

            (I know some will say, "Just be guided by the Spirit". If that were true then we wouldn't need any manuals for all teachers nor handbooks for anyone.)

            I'm glad that the Consultant's Guide was only released in an electronic version. Although it needs to be updated in spots, the principles are there and it is very well done.

            Are you FH center directors being looked upon as replacements for the Stake Family History consultants position which was eliminated a number of years ago? Do you feel an obligation to train Family History Consultants or are you satisfied to just train your family history center staff as to their responsibilities within the center?

            Since there is no place on the newly designed "callings" web site that refers to the training of Family History Center Staff members I'm wondering what you directors think is essential to teach your staff about serving in your center and I am also wondering if you feel an obligation to go beyond that limit whereby you are training Family History Consultants to do their ward calling?

            Terry Mason
            Clermont FL