16.5 mm Lenses For NMI 2020 Microfilm Readers

  • John Williams
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 22, 2013
      I have been doing some research on purchasing a 16.5 mm microfilm reader lens.  What I discovered about the availability of these lenses surprised me so I thought I would share it with other directors.

      Most Family History Centres have one or more Northwest Microfilm NMI 2020 readers.  There are basically three types of lenses for this reader: a 28 - 70 mm zoom (15X - 24X) lens, a 16.5 mm (42X) lens and a 10 mm (65X) lens.  The 28-70 mm lens is typically used to view 35 mm microfilm.  The 16.5 mm lens can be used to either view 16mm films at normal magnification or 35 mm films at high magnification.  The 10 mm lens can be used to view 16 mm film at high magnification.

      For many years, the procedure to order a 16.5 mm lens was simple.  Facilities Management Groups could order the required lenses through a company called DecisionOne.  As the e-mail below demonstrates, the situation has changed:

      "I have received confirmation that the all lens[es] for the NW 2020 reader are considered obsolete and we can no longer obtain the lens and some parts for the NW 2020.I apologize that I’m unable to fill your order! The supplier has marked the NW 2020 reader obsolete in late 2011 and as parts are purchased they become obsolete once stock is depleted and that is what the case is for the lens.  Please let me know if you have any questions."

      DecisionOne - A Glodyne Company
      12121 Scripps Summit Drive, Suite 320 | San Diego | CA | 92131
      Toll. 800.920.7378, option 1, option 2 | o. 619.434.1952
      Fax. 800.984.6443

      FamilySearch Support stocks28 - 70 mm zoom lenses and directors who want to order one can send an e-mail to support@... for more information.  However, to the best of my knowledge, FamilySearch no longer stocks 16.5 mm or 10mm lenses.  I have contacted several other suppliers in the United States who said they do not have these lenses, either.

      I am interested in getting a 16.5 mm lens, but as you can see there is currently no supplier available.   I have an idea that I would like to share with other directors.  A lens manufacturer could easily make a 16.5 mm lensfor an NMI reader at a reasonable price, provided that at least 25 lenses were ordered at one time.  If there were enough interest, the Family History Department could order a batch of 25 lenses and make them available individually to Family History Centres.  I imagine that the cost of each lens would be between $300 and $500.

      What I would like to know is the level of interest in this type of lens.  Are there any other FHC directors whoare currently looking for a 16.5mm lens?

      Thanks.
      John W.

    • John Vilburn
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 22, 2013
        I wonder if there are any lenses in FHCs that are not being used. If so,
        perhaps someone could share.

        John

      • Greg
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 23, 2013
          Have you tried eBay or Craig's list?

          --- In FHCNET@yahoogroups.com, John Vilburn <john@...> wrote:

          > I wonder if there are any lenses in FHCs that are not being used. If so,
          > perhaps someone could share.

        • Bill Buchanan
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 23, 2013
            I would start by phoning FamilySearch Support at 1-866-406-1830 and asking
            for Family History Center Support. In a video presentation in 2011 they
            mentioned that they can get replacement parts. I would not start by
            assuming that you need to buy the replacement parts out of your own budget.
            My FHC may even have a spare, but I can't make any promises.

            Bill Buchanan