Bizarre problems in nFS & Tree

  • Lois Casson
    Message 1 of 21 , Feb 1 6:45 AM
      Here's a new one, for me at least.

      Last night a friend came into the center highly agitated. His father
      was a member of the church, as well as all of his sibling. Work has been
      done his grandparents and he has entered all the data for complete
      families for several generations. When he went online yesterday his
      parents and siblings are missing, as well as four of the children of his
      paternal grandparents. There were also children with grandparents as
      parents.

      I searched and searched and they could not be found in either nFS or the
      tree. Because his parents and siblings were members, one would
      certainly expect to find them but they were not there.

      I told him that there had been lots of problems with the server of late
      and suspected that it was a problem that would work its way out and he
      just needed to wait and see. I also told him that he could cal support
      and inquire. It was late so I didn't call myself, but he is a former
      bishop who knows his way around. I will call today but was wondering if
      anyone has seen this problem or has an explanation.

      Lois Casson
    • sherry925555
      Message 2 of 21 , Feb 1 8:18 AM
        When I logged in a couple of weeks ago to the Family Tree, it showed my
        mother as "deceased". She is not dead! I tried to fix it but couldn't. I had
        to call support for them to fix it. Strange things have been happening with
        the system. I tell patrons some days the system works & some days it is
        weird, where only parts work. I did have a patron call me last night & they
        said they finally were able to combine 2 records successfully. They were
        quite happy about that. I guess we just have to be patient.
        Cheryl

        In a message dated 2/1/2013 6:45:39 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
        lcasson@... writes:

[...]

        recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized
        intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy
        all copies of the original message.

      • Bill Buchanan
        Message 3 of 21 , Feb 1 8:36 AM
          Lois,

          I have seen similar situations from time to time. One lady was in tears as
          she spoke to me on the telephone. "All of my family is gone!" In my
          experience it has been caused by multiple records for someone. (The record
          displayed is not linked to the ancestors, but another record is.) But the
          "missing" ancestors should be able to find by doing a search. The usual
          solution is to merge the duplicate parents. Or in the interim, view All
          Parents and click on the correct parent,then View Tree.

          Bill Buchanan

          --

          Bill Buchanan
          blog: http://billbuchanan.blogspot.com

          Message 4 of 21 , Feb 1 10:28 AM
            I heard something else, there is an issue somewhere associated with transferring some data files in association with Family Tree and some sort of disappeared.

            They didn't lose them, they just did not go where they wanted them to go.  So they are working on finding the files and then programming things so they will properly migrate over.

            Things like this are what is delaying the full worldwide release of Family Tree.

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 21 , Feb 1 11:37 AM
              Hi Bill,

              This was a case of here today, gone tomorrow and effected both the
              husband and wife. I searched every way I knew how and the records of
              deceased members of record, all with live ordinances, were not there,
              either on nFS or Tree.

              Lois

              On 2/1/2013 10:36 AM, Bill Buchanan wrote:
              > Lois,
              >
              > I have seen similar situations from time to time. One lady was in tears as
              > she spoke to me on the telephone. "All of my family is gone!" In my
              > experience it has been caused by multiple records for someone. (The record
              > displayed is not linked to the ancestors, but another record is.) But the
              > "missing" ancestors should be able to find by doing a search. The usual
              > solution is to merge the duplicate parents. Or in the interim, view All
              > Parents and click on the correct parent,then View Tree.
              >

              > Bill Buchanan
              >
              > On Fri, Feb 1, 2013 at 7:45 AM, Lois Casson <lcasson@...> wrote:
              >
              >> **
              >>

              >> Here's a new one, for me at least.
              >>
              >> Last night a friend came into the center highly agitated. His father
              >> was a member of the church, as well as all of his sibling. Work has been
              >> done his grandparents and he has entered all the data for complete
              >> families for several generations. When he went online yesterday his
              >> parents and siblings are missing, as well as four of the children of his
              >> paternal grandparents. There were also children with grandparents as
              >> parents.
              >>
              >> I searched and searched and they could not be found in either nFS or the
              >> tree. Because his parents and siblings were members, one would
              >> certainly expect to find them but they were not there.
              >>
              >> I told him that there had been lots of problems with the server of late
              >> and suspected that it was a problem that would work its way out and he
              >> just needed to wait and see. I also told him that he could cal support
              >> and inquire. It was late so I didn't call myself, but he is a former
              >> bishop who knows his way around. I will call today but was wondering if
              >> anyone has seen this problem or has an explanation.
              >>
              >> Lois Casson

            • Lois Casson
              Message 6 of 21 , Feb 1 11:42 AM
                Yes, there are a lot of "disappeared" and list of people in limbo. I
                believe the only thing that can be done is wait and watch.
                Unfortunately this is a couple that was entering all their data on nFS
                and have no records on their own computer, which means they can even
                search with the ID#.

                I gave them a demonstration on how, with the right program, they can
                capture and download data when the problem is resolved.

                Lois

                Message 7 of 21 , Feb 1 11:59 AM
                  Do these people have any temple cards?  If entered since they started working with nFS, the cards all have the PID on them, which can be searched in either nFS or the Tree.  They may be able to recover some portions of it if for some reason they have temple cards.

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 21 , Feb 1 1:20 PM
                    The problem is that those that are missing were all "live" ordinances.

                    On 2/1/2013 1:59 PM, James W Anderson wrote:

                    > Do these people have any temple cards? If entered since they started
                    > working with nFS, the cards all have the PID on them, which can be
                    > searched in either nFS or the Tree. They may be able to recover some
                    > portions of it if for some reason they have temple cards.
                    >
                    > ________________________________

                  • Beth Zondler
                    Message 9 of 21 , Feb 1 1:27 PM
                      I also worked with a couple today. They had done some baptisms and
                      confirmations for several of their deceased relatives. Some were showing
                      up and others had disappeared (not the ordinances, the people). I told
                      them there was a lot of "flux" on Family Tree right now and that we
                      would check back in a week and see if they re-appear. Hope they get
                      this all ironed out.

                      Message 10 of 21 , Feb 1 4:53 PM
                        Have them call support, give any PIDs (if there are many, give them a half dozen from probably different families or so to start), and they can use that information to see what is going on.

                        They need that type of information, it will not only help them find the data, but also figure out how to prevent such data problems in the future.

                        ________________________________

                        Message 11 of 21 , Feb 1 5:00 PM
                          There's good news there, as there are temple records.  Support, given some of the information on dates and so forth, can find things other ways, as the temples have the records.  Provide if not exact dates, approximate dates, and temple if known.

                          ________________________________

                          Message 12 of 21 , Feb 1 5:48 PM
                            They have no PIDs because they were live ordinances and they entered all
                            their info on nFS.

                            Message 13 of 21 , Feb 1 5:51 PM
                              These were all members who had live ordinances and the records on nFS
                              came from membership records. Until the problem is straightened out it
                              is unlikely that the person on support will find them. They are not there.

                              Message 14 of 21 , Feb 1 6:23 PM
                                However, there is still the membership department at headquarters, and they often will have records, in fact, when you merged two records in nFS that had membership records, that is apparently where the support people that handled the cases involved took those to so they could merge them properly.

                                ________________________________
                                These were all members who had live ordinances and the records on nFS
                                came from membership records. Until the problem is straightened out it
                                is unlikely that the person on support will find them. They are not there.

                                On 2/1/2013 7:00 PM, James W Anderson wrote:

                                > There's good news there, as there are temple records. Support, given
                                > some of the information on dates and so forth, can find things other
                                > ways, as the temples have the records. Provide if not exact dates,
                                > approximate dates, and temple if known.
                                >
                                > ________________________________

                              • Leslie Vaughn
                                Message 15 of 21 , Feb 1 6:30 PM
                                  Okay I am confused. Are the missing people currently living and did their live ordinances or are they now dead but did the ordinances when they were living?

                                  If they are currently living, you cannot search for them on nfs. But I am sure you know that.

                                  Because everything is in such a state of flux, I imagine any searchable person (i.e. dead) that was there before will reappear within a few days or weeks.

                                  Leslie Vaughn

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Feb 1 6:43 PM
                                    Some of the people are dead, some living, first degree relatives
                                    (parents/siblings) who were all there one day and gone the next. No one
                                    should have to go to the church membership department to try and get
                                    records back on nFS/Tree. Obviously there has been a glitch, hopefully
                                    they will all reappear. I suspect this may be related to the problem
                                    that shows some people's work in progress for ten years and why work
                                    that is submitted to temples suddenly becomes "ready" again because
                                    somehow they fell off the train.

                                    First, we must be patient through these growing pains, hope the people
                                    are found and that there is a happy ending. It also emphasize the need
                                    to be vigilant and make sure we keep on top our records and work in
                                    progress.

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Feb 1 7:27 PM
                                      Ordinances for living people never show in nfs/family tree. Mine don’t and when I sign in as a helper for others I cannot see the ordinances for any living person I help.

                                      Shortly after nfs came out a dear sister in her mid-eighties and for her age is pretty computer knowledgeable called me in tears.

                                      She had a son who had died when he was in his mid-thirties. He was not an active church member so she did his ordinances. She had to get multiple levels of permission to have this son sealed to her and her husband who raised the boy but was not the biological father. It had been a lengthy process and very stressful but it had been accomplished. The reason for the tears: She could see all her son’s ordinances on nfs, but she could not see the sealing of him to her and her husband. She was so fearful she would have to go through the whole process again to have him sealed. I reminded her that ordinances don’t show for the living and she cried: “But he is dead.” I reminded her that she and her husband are not and thus the sealing won’t show. That satisfied her.

                                      So if your people are living, any ordinance associated with them won’t show. If they showed before, they probably should not have and that has been corrected. If an individual is living and sign into nfs or family tree and he/she isn’t there, then I think it is a fluke—part of the quirks that need to be ironed out. If the dead people are there without the ordinances or are not there, just be patient. I am sure they will show up, given time.

                                      Leslie Vaughn

                                    • kathryngz
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Feb 1 8:09 PM
                                        It's my understanding that *every* person in nFS or Family Tree has a PID.
                                        You can't have a person in the system without one. You say they added
                                        ordinance information--they would either have had to add it to a person already
                                        in the system (which would have a PID) or create a person and add the info.
                                        The newly-created person would also have a PID.

                                        Hope that helps...

                                        Kathryn

                                      • Gary Templeman
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Feb 2 5:18 AM
                                          Part of the problem is that living people should not be entered manually except for living non-members needed to create a bridge to deceased ancestors. ASFAIK information for living members comes from their membership records.

                                          When they log on they should see themselves and immediate family members they are linked to (assuming also LDS). They should not (and should not need to) enter their member children, spouse, etc. Those links should be fixed by working with the ward membership clerk.

                                          Message 20 of 21 , Feb 2 6:06 AM
                                            As I have said before. The people who are missing are immediate family
                                            members who were attached because of church membership records. They
                                            were there one day and gone the next. Even if he had entered them
                                            himself, they still should be there. He did nothing wrong. This is not
                                            a problem for the ward clerk or the church membership department.

                                            On 2/2/2013 7:18 AM, Gary Templeman wrote:

                                            > Part of the problem is that living people should not be entered
                                            > manually except for living non-members needed to create a bridge to
                                            > deceased ancestors. ASFAIK information for living members comes from
                                            > their membership records.
                                            >
                                            > When they log on they should see themselves and immediate family
                                            > members they are linked to (assuming also LDS). They should not (and
                                            > should not need to) enter their member children, spouse, etc. Those
                                            > links should be fixed by working with the ward membership clerk.
                                            >
                                            > Lois Casson lcasson@... <mailto:lcasson%40cox.net>> wrote:
                                            >
                                            > >They have no PIDs because they were live ordinances and they entered
                                            > >all
                                            > >their info on nFS.
                                            > >
                                            > >On 2/1/2013 6:53 PM, James W Anderson wrote:
                                            > >>
                                            > >> Have them call support, give any PIDs (if there are many, give them a
                                            > >
                                            > >> half dozen from probably different families or so to start), and they
                                            > >
                                            > >> can use that information to see what is going on.
                                            > >>
                                            > >> They need that type of information, it will not only help them find
                                            > >> the data, but also figure out how to prevent such data problems in
                                            > >the
                                            > >> future.

                                          • Lois Casson
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Feb 2 6:13 AM
                                              As I explained previously. He does not have PIDs because he maintained
                                              all his records on nFS and has nothing at home. Since those people have
                                              disappeared, he can't get the PID. We know they have them. I didn't
                                              say they added added information, they came from church membership
                                              records, they were his parents.