Re: [FHCNET] fillable family group sheet

  • Bill Buchanan
    Message 1 of 25 , Jan 17, 2013
      Elliott,

      Here is an Excel-based pedigree chart that can be be filled-in, saved and
      emailed.
      http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/templates/family-tree-chart-TC001021967.aspx
      It is oriented right-to left, which seems opposite to me.

      Bill Buchanan

      On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 12:35 PM, Bill Buchanan <
      genealogistbuchanan@...> wrote:

      > Eliott,
      >
      > In my experience, most PDF forms can only be printed then filled in by pen
      > and ink (or in some cases by computer) but cannot be saved.
      >
      > In Excel or Word these charts can be created as a fill-in form that can be
      > saved and emailed, but it takes time to do it . Here is one site I found.
      > http://www.ehow.com/how_4895139_make-family-tree-excel.html
      > You may be able to find others that have pre-made forms.
      >
      > An alternative is to use PAF and select "Print to File" in the Print
      > Reports screen, to create a blank chart that opens in Word (or your default
      > RTF application). You will need to add text boxes in the appropriate places
      > for user input. This is not hard to do, and on the pedigree chart, one text
      > box is probably all you need per person. So create the text box once and
      > paste it multiple places.
      >
      > Maybe if nobody shows up for my Macintosh Genealogy class tonight, I will
      > have time to create a set of save-able blank charts. ... no promises though.
      >

      > Bill Buchanan
      >

      > On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 8:49 PM, Elliott Corbett Jr <escorbett@...>wrote:
      >
      >> **
      >>

      >> I would like to post a blank Family Group Sheet form on a family reunion
      >> page on facebook that one can fill in the information online and privately
      >> email back to me. I am sure there is such a creature but I cannot find
      >> one.
      >>
      >> Thanks to all, this group's collective and individual knowledge is
      >> incredible
      >>
      >> Elliiott Corbett

      Bill Buchanan
      blog: http://billbuchanan.blogspot.com

    • Bill Buchanan
      Message 2 of 25 , Jan 17, 2013
        Elliott,

        I have put together an Excel FGR that can be filled in, saved, and emailed.
        https://dl.dropbox.com/u/20318248/fillable%20FGR.xls

        I have also modified a PAF pedigree chart by adding text boxes, where
        information can be input and saved. I didn't have time to do a nicer job of
        it.
        https://dl.dropbox.com/u/20318248/fillable%20pedigree.doc

        Check them to see whether they will serve your purposes.
        The text on the FGR is very small, but people can zoom in if necessary.Or
        it would just take a few minutes to change the cell heights and text size.

        Bill Buchanan

        On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 12:35 PM, Bill Buchanan <
        genealogistbuchanan@...> wrote:

        > Eliott,
        >
        > In my experience, most PDF forms can only be printed then filled in by pen
        > and ink (or in some cases by computer) but cannot be saved.
        >
        > In Excel or Word these charts can be created as a fill-in form that can be
        > saved and emailed, but it takes time to do it . Here is one site I found.
        > http://www.ehow.com/how_4895139_make-family-tree-excel.html
        > You may be able to find others that have pre-made forms.
        >
        > An alternative is to use PAF and select "Print to File" in the Print
        > Reports screen, to create a blank chart that opens in Word (or your default
        > RTF application). You will need to add text boxes in the appropriate places
        > for user input. This is not hard to do, and on the pedigree chart, one text
        > box is probably all you need per person. So create the text box once and
        > paste it multiple places.
        >
        > Maybe if nobody shows up for my Macintosh Genealogy class tonight, I will
        > have time to create a set of save-able blank charts. ... no promises though.
        >

        > Bill Buchanan
        >

        > On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 8:49 PM, Elliott Corbett Jr <escorbett@...>wrote:
        >
        >> **
        >>

        >> I would like to post a blank Family Group Sheet form on a family reunion
        >> page on facebook that one can fill in the information online and privately
        >> email back to me. I am sure there is such a creature but I cannot find
        >> one.
        >>
        >> Thanks to all, this group's collective and individual knowledge is
        >> incredible
        >>
        >> Elliiott Corbett

        Bill Buchanan
        blog: http://billbuchanan.blogspot.com

      • W Quirke
        Message 3 of 25 , Jan 18, 2013
          Bill,
          Thank you!!! You are amazing!!
          Wendy

          On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 6:08 AM, Bill Buchanan <

          Message 4 of 25 , Jan 18, 2013
            Wendy,

            It is a lot easier than my Irish genealogy, but maybe not as much fun. ;-)

            Bill Buchanan

          • kathryngz
            Message 5 of 25 , Jan 19, 2013
              It was true with older versions of Adobe that you couldn't save data typed
              in the form. However, that issue has been resolved. When you click on the
              link I sent, if you're a recent version of Adobe Reader, you should see the
              message at the top that says, "You can save data typed into this form."
              Hope that helps!

              Kathryn

            • Bill Buchanan
              Message 6 of 25 , Jan 19, 2013
                Thanks Kathryn,

                That is good to know. My version of Adobe Reader must be out of date.

                Bill Buchanan

                On Sat, Jan 19, 2013 at 5:27 AM, <kgrant100@...> wrote:

                > Kathryn

              • Bonnie Anderson
                Message 7 of 25 , Jan 19, 2013
                  Thank you so much for the link to the PDF savable forms.
                  Cactusgem

                  It was true with older versions of Adobe that you couldn't save data typed
                  in the form. However, that issue has been resolved. When you click on the
                  link I sent, if you're a recent version of Adobe Reader, you should see the
                  message at the top that says, "You can save data typed into this form."
                  Hope that helps!

                  Kathryn

                • Elliott Corbett Jr
                  Message 8 of 25 , Jan 19, 2013
                    Thank you to all for your kind assistance in this endeavor. Thank you to
                    Bill Buchanan for taking the time to create the excel FGR form you posted
                    and others for their guidance.
                    Here is where the problem is. The fillable PDF files have to go thru a
                    3rd party to email the completed form. That 3rd party "Echo Sign" is for a
                    corporate account that one has to register to use.
                    If I use the excel form to email I don't know if everyone is computer
                    literate enough to use that, nor have a spreadsheet installed on their
                    computer.
                    I just want a Family Group Sheet that one could maybe download the FGR from
                    the web, hopefully on out Facebook Family Reunion site and fill it out
                    electronically and return it via email.
                    I don't think there is such a ready made thing to be found. I think we
                    will have to use the old paper and US mail thing to do what I want for
                    those who choose to do so. Or scan if everyone I want info from has a
                    scanner and knows how to save it an email the completed form. The solution
                    seems to be more complicated than I first thought. If I were a programmer
                    I would take a stab at creating what I need.
                    It would not be so difficult if all were as proficient with computers as
                    this group seems to be.

                    Elliott Corbett

                  • Bill Buchanan
                    Message 9 of 25 , Jan 19, 2013
                      Elliott,

                      The spreadsheet forms I created are saved in Excel97 format. This is
                      virtually a "universal" format. Every spreadsheet program (in any office
                      suite since 1997) should be able to open it by simply double-clicking the
                      file. In fact I used the free OpenOffice suite to create them. So long as
                      the form is sent back in the same format, you should have no problem.

                      But it doesn't hurt to look at alternatives.

                      Bill Buchanan

                      Message 10 of 25 , Jan 20, 2013
                        Elliott Corbett Jr wrote:
                        > Thank you to all for your kind assistance in this endeavor.
                        > Thank you to
                        > Bill Buchanan for taking the time to create the excel FGR
                        > form you posted
                        > and others for their guidance.
                        > Here is where the problem is. The fillable PDF files have to
                        > go thru a
                        > 3rd party to email the completed form. That 3rd party "Echo
                        > Sign" is for a
                        > corporate account that one has to register to use.
                        > If I use the excel form to email I don't know if everyone is
                        > computer
                        > literate enough to use that, nor have a spreadsheet
                        > installed on their
                        > computer.
                        > I just want a Family Group Sheet that one could maybe
                        > download the FGR from
                        > the web, hopefully on out Facebook Family Reunion site and
                        > fill it out
                        > electronically and return it via email.
                        > I don't think there is such a ready made thing to be found.
                        > I think we
                        > will have to use the old paper and US mail thing to do what
                        > I want for
                        > those who choose to do so. Or scan if everyone I want info
                        > from has a
                        > scanner and knows how to save it an email the completed
                        > form. The solution
                        > seems to be more complicated than I first thought. If I were
                        > a programmer
                        > I would take a stab at creating what I need.
                        > It would not be so difficult if all were as proficient with
                        > computers as
                        > this group seems to be.
                        >
                        > Elliott Corbett

                        QUOTE:

                        Instructions for using Mailmerge for a Family Group Sheet
                        are here:

                        http://freepages.computers.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~pasher/fgs.htm

                        UNquote.

                        Cheryl
                      • Paul Walworth
                        Message 11 of 25 , Jan 20, 2013
                          Elliott,

                          It seems to me that for those who need the training on how to use these forms should be in the hands of those who provide that added source.  We are here to help and teach when necessary.  As for anyone not having a office program there are a few online they may download free.  And if they will down load a good free genealogy program they will not need those forms, but can be printed using a good program also.  For those who do not have a computer they need paper forms which can be gotten in any FHC that has computers or the paper forms.
                          Still I am very grateful for all the information provided here.  I try to teach all my patrons to bring a USB drive with them and avoid the paper if at all possible.  I have even gotten one patron to do this and she does not have a computer nor probably never will, but her son who is doing a lot of this research with her has a computer and has no problem using all the resources provided.    For those who feel computers are too confusing I try to get them to find a friend that will work with them near their home.  I also tell them that computers like all new languages take time to learn and with the help of a friend the learning can also be fun.  For me genealogy is not just names, dates and places but wonderful history.
                          Just this week I got an email from Italy where they found the wreckage from a plane my wife's father was a member of the crew.  They were able to provide me with newspaper clippings thereby providing my wife with a lot more information that she did not know about her father before.  So when they or we learn to use the internet to connect with others in our search for our ancestors this learning should never stop.
                          Learning is a wonderful tool for me as I am getting to the place that I do not travel very much due do age and heath but learning to use the computer has been a great blessing in my life and I feel the same for all who wish to learn.
                          Sorry about the long reply and Thanks to everyone who post here.

                          Paul

                          ________________________________

                          Message 12 of 25 , Jan 20, 2013
                            Elliott (and everyone),

                            Just a clarification--the fillable PDF files don't actually have to go
                            through a third party. That service may be available, but it isn't required.
                            (It sounds like you might have selected the option for an electronic
                            signature, but that isn't necessary to send a fillable PDF file.)

                            When I clicked the envelope icon on the Adobe Reader toolbar, Adobe opened
                            my gmail and attached the PDF to it.

                            Another option is just to save the PDF file to your hard drive and then
                            attach it to an email as you would attach any other file.

                            I just tested both of these methods and they worked fine without any third
                            party involvement.

                            If you have questions or would like more detail, let me know--I can post
                            instructions with screen shots if it would help.

                            Kathryn

                          • Elliott Corbett Jr
                            Message 13 of 25 , Jan 21, 2013
                              Kathryn,
                              Thanks for the help but it is not working for me. When I save the
                              completed form to my hard drive, it only saves the form, not the completed
                              form. Or the other way you mention to attach the form to an email I am
                              then told that only the form will be forwarded, not the completed one. If
                              you have actually tested it and it works please let us know.
                              Elliott Corbett

                              Message 14 of 25 , Jan 22, 2013
                                kgrant100@... wrote:
                                > I tested both methods immediately before sending the earlier
                                > email, and actually sent the attachments to myself. They
                                > both worked correctly, with the data saved. What version of
                                > Adobe Reader are you using?

                                Do you by chance have the full Adobe suite installed?

                                I've only got Reader9 installed on this machine, and I
                                couldn't get the form to accept any input in any field. I DO
                                have forms from other organizations that I can input and
                                save data, so I know Reader will do it *IF* the producer of
                                the form tic'd the right boxes as he saved it.

                                Cheryl
                              • Bill Buchanan
                                Message 15 of 25 , Jan 22, 2013
                                  I am using Adobe Reader 9.5.3 and when I checked in Help for updates, it
                                  said there were none. I then checked Adobe.com and installed Adobe Reader X
                                  (10.1.4). So, I now have the latest version! I suspect it will take a while
                                  before everyone has it. Now I wonder whether my Excel spreadsheets, when
                                  printed to PDF will work without needing any spreadsheet software. I may
                                  want to check this out later today if time permits.

                                  Bill Buchanan

                                  On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 4:22 AM, kgrant100@... <kgrant100@...>wrote:

                                  > **
                                  >

                                  > I tested both methods immediately before sending the earlier email, and
                                  > actually sent the attachments to myself. They both worked correctly, with
                                  > the data saved. What version of Adobe Reader are you using?
                                  >
                                  > Sent from my HTC Evo on the Now Network from Sprint!

                                  Bill Buchanan
                                  blog: http://billbuchanan.blogspot.com

                                • Gary Templeman
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Jan 23, 2013
                                    Acrobat Reader (or Foxit) is much more universally loaded on people's computers than spreadsheet software. When you print the spreadsheet to a PDF, anyone with the reader software will be able to open, view and print. It will not (with specific exceptions) be an editable file as the spreadsheet would be for those with Excel, etc.

                                    Sent from Samsung tablet

                                    Message 17 of 25 , Jan 24, 2013
                                      Good question, Cheryl. I don't have the full suite, just the Reader. My
                                      version of Adobe Reader is XI--I guess that's 11.

                                      When I view the form, it apparently uses the Adobe plugin in my browser
                                      (Firefox v. 18.0.1), because it opens within the browser, not within a
                                      separate window.

                                      Does that help?