RE: [FHCNET] Purpose of Family Tree

  • Shanna Jones
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 6, 2013
      The link shortened itself, try http://tinyurl.com/8jed6uv

      From: FHCNET@yahoogroups.com [mailto:FHCNET@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of
      Shanna Jones
      Sent: Sunday, January 06, 2013 11:32 AM
      To: FHCNET@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [FHCNET] Purpose of Family Tree

      Please watch this video of Family Tree

      http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid1263114798001?bckey=AQ~~,AAA
      AsMO7iuE~,0a6boL_aMzT6wXRVaij4LOXycUz0v0ZP
      http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid1263114798001?bckey=AQ~~,AA
      AAsMO7iuE~,0a6boL_aMzT6wXRVaij4LOXycUz0v0ZP&bctid=1828151687001>
      &bctid=1828151687001

      FamilySearch isn't just your family tree, it's The Family Tree.

      Family Tree is intended to become a genealogical record that is correct,
      that contains sources to prove its accuracy, and that endures longer than
      any of the people that add information to it.

      Most contributors do their best to ensure that their information is correct.
      However, sometimes the records required to prove something are not
      available. It is possible that future researchers will have access to better
      records than we do now. We need to allow future researchers the ability to
      correct and add better information as it becomes available.

      It is not always easy to collaborate with other researchers. Evidence may be
      contradictory. Incorrect family legends are common. Disagreement can arise.
      Family Tree has several features that are intended to encourage people to
      provide accurate information and to prevent improper changes:

      The watch feature tells you when changes are made to people. You can then go
      to that person's record to see the change and analyze the evidence for it.

      The change history feature keeps track of all changes made. You can restore
      a previous version of information when needed.

      The ability to attach the sources can prove that information is correct.

      Every screen where you can add, edit, or delete information contains a field
      where you can enter a reason for your change. In this field, you should
      enter the reasons why you think the information is correct, perhaps in spite
      of family legend or contradictory source records.

      In the future, additional features will be added to increase your ability to
      track and monitor the changes and resolve any disagreements that may arise
      about a particular piece of information.

      Taken from Using the FamilySearch Family Tree: A Reference Guide (12
      December 2012)

      https://familysearch.org/help/self-help

      Shanna Jones

    • Kate Redford
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 6, 2013
        I really appreciate when a "poster" gives the appropriate training website
        or document that governs the situation. It surely focus me on the problem
        and the solution that our leaders have set up for us. Thanks Shanna.

        Kate Redford

        Salem, Oregon, USA