Re: [FHCNET] Ancestry.com at the FHC

  • Paul Walworth
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 2, 2013
      Sure saves a lot of extra work.
      Paul

      ________________________________
      From: L. L. Scott <llscott2000@...>
      To: FHCNET@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Wednesday, January 2, 2013 11:36 PM
      Subject: Re: [FHCNET] Ancestry.com at the FHC

      ditto, using RootsMagic To Go.

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Paul Walworth
      Sent: Wednesday, January 02, 2013 7:02 PM
      To: FHCNET@yahoogroups.com

      Yes and I take my software program with me and add everything into the
      program. I never go to my FHC without my USB drive and my program.

      Paul

      ________________________________

      Thanks Margaret.

      So to summarize just for my sake:

      Because it is the library edition, i.e. not a personal account, then you
      wouldn't be able to add a tree or add alternate information and probably
      some other things that I cannot think of, but you should be able to research
      the whole kit and caboodle from the FHC or from your local library if they
      have it and you should be able to print or download images and put them on a
      memory stick to take home to your own computer.

      Leslie

      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 3, 2013
        Family History Centers have the library edition of ancestry.com through the
        portal - the same as is at many public libraries. The difference between
        the library edition and a private account is based on the fact that there
        is not an individual linked to the account in the library edition. So, you
        can't do things that would require you to be identified as an individual.
        That would include uploading a tree and making corrections to records -
        those would need to be done from an individual account.

        --
        Nancy

        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 4, 2013
          The only differences we have noticed in our Center is that with the Portal
          version we can not download pictures that people have posted & we can not
          get contact information or contact the submitter. With the World personal
          version we can do all those things.
          Cheryl
          Moreno Valley, CA

          In a message dated 1/1/2013 8:59:24 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
          Leslievaughn@... writes:

          Kathy, I think the question really is what is the difference, if any,
          between the library edition and the World Edition?

          I don't know the answer to that. Does anyone out there know?

          I am a world edition subscriber and I haven't seen any difference, but then
          I seldom use Ancestry at the FHC. Most patrons don't ask for help. I do
          remember seeing the British and Canadian Census on Ancestry on the FHC
          computers. So it has to be more than the US edition, but I haven't tried to
          see if the library edition has all of the international records. One thing
          that I did see is that on the Library edition you cannot add alternate
          information to a record. I doubt that you can add a tree using the library
          edition, but I am not sure

          If there is a difference it would be good to know what other differences
          there are and if ALL the data bases are available in the Library edition.

          Leslie Vaughn