Re: [FHCNET] Question about Napoli Civil Registration database on FS

  • Beth Zondler
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 12, 2012
      Hey Lise,
      He is not LDS. He did just contact me via email and said that yesterday
      at the FHC he was able to access the records again through our
      computers, but still cannot either at the FHC or from his home when
      signed in with his non LDS account. I think he is happy he can view them
      the FHC when I am not there. Thanks for the suggestion of a non LDS acct
      for myself. Make sense for when patrons are having problems.~~Beth

      On 12/11/2012 9:32 PM, Lise Embley wrote:
      > Hi Beth,
      >
      > Is your patron LDS? I tried that collection (you gave great instructions!)
      > and was able to view the images. I signed out with one of the images on
      > the screen, and the image disappeared and a dialog box came up saying that
      > the image is available for viewing at a FHC, or to members of "supporting
      > organizations." I'm guessing that your status as director is less
      > important than that you log in using an LDS FamilySearch account.
      >
      > I have a regular FamilySearch account that I use to demo and test
      > FamilySearch features. If I try to access images in that collection logged
      > in with my LDS FamilySearch account, I can view them. If I use my other
      > FamilySearch account, I get the message "Image not available."
      >
      > FYI.
      >
      > Lise
      >

      > On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 4:26 PM, Beth Zondler <jbzaakk@...> wrote:
      >
      >> **
      >>

      >> One of our patrons has experienced a problem with a specific database. I
      >> am hoping someone can shed some light on this.
      >>
      >> The database is FamilySearch>>Continental Europe>>Italy>>Italy, Napoli,
      >> Civil Registration (State Archives) 1809-1865>>Browse through 2,672,971
      >> images>>{any area}
      >>
      >> When he first started using this database he could access it from his
      >> home computer, logged in with a FS account. Then it told him he had to
      >> view it at a FHC (this change occurred when the "Browse" place changed
      >> from "Europe" to "Continental Europe"). He was able to come in to the
      >> FHC and view this database without signing in. Now it tells him he has
      >> to sign in, but when he does (and this is still all at the FHC) it tells
      >> him he can't view it. If I sign in with my personal account (as a
      >> director) I can view it. He spent over 2 hours on the phone with SL
      >> yesterday and still got no where. I believe it is a problem with the
      >> settings on the database, but the tech kept trying to fix our computer.
      >> Our computer accesses the FH Portal and all premium sites without any
      >> problem. This patron also has no problem accessing other Italy, Napoli
      >> databases so it doesn't appear to be a restriction by Naples, Italy.
      >>
      >> Does anyone out there know what is going on? Any help/advice would be
      >> appreciated. Thanks~~Beth

    • Len Ingermanson
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 12, 2012
        When you attempt to access any record on familysearch.org that is from
        another organization that FamilySearch has an agreement with, there are
        restrictions placed on FamilySearch as to who can access that record.
        Those other organizations may be a part of the National Archives, who
        charge fees for copies of their records; they may be a subscription
        website, like ancestry.com and any others. There are probably others, as
        well. So, in the case of your patron or anyone else, when you try to
        access a record that falls into this category, you will see a pop up window
        that says you can select the website of the owner of the record (which may
        include a fee), or if you are at a Family History Center you would have
        free access, or if you are a member of the supporting organization you
        would have free access. Because Family History Centers come under the
        umbrella of FamilySearch, you have access because of the agreement with the
        organization. If a person has an LDS Account, members of the Church have
        free access because they are a member of the supporting organization (The
        Church, which sponsors FamilySearch). Therefore, non-members of the Church
        do not have free access, even though they may have a FamilySearch account,
        they are not considered members of the supporting organization. Hope this
        explains the situation of your patron.
        Additionally, there are some records of familysearch.org that we view on
        ancestry.com. To view those records you need to have an LDS Account, or an
        Ancestry.com account or be at a Family History Center to see those records.
        There are some additional restrictions in effect, also. If you live in
        certain countries of the world you may not view the records from that
        country while living there. Great Britain is an example, residents of
        England cannot view certain English records on familysearch.org. There may
        be other countries like that.
        Just some words of explanation.
        Len Ingermanson