Re: [FHCNET] Volunteers, Callings, Keys for Non-Members

  • Jonnie Sisler
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 1, 2003
      All our keys come from Salt Lake City, and for the FHC, only one person on a
      shift is allowed to have a key. I don't know if that is a rule from Salt
      Lake, or just the physical facilities person in our stake as far as only one
      person per shift having a key. Anyway, we cannot duplicate the keys.
      regards,
      Jonnie
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 1, 2003
        I don't recall seeing that in the guidelines so it is probably a local rule.
        And (usually) a dumb one too IMO. If the one person who has the key gets
        sick, or forgets to give the key to someone else and leaves on vacation,
        etc., it just makes a lot of unnecessary work for others. If a staff person
        cannot be trusted to have a key then I question whether he/she should be on
        staff at all. However, I can see exceptions depending on the building
        configuration and the numbers of staff. But usually as long as the key does
        not allow access into other significant areas of the building then I feel
        that is overly restrictive. I can see that if shifts have a lot of staff
        (5-6 or more) then perhaps limiting keys to some shift leaders would be
        good. But just to prevent problems like those above I think at least two per
        shift would be a minimum.

        We are lucky in that our FHC has it's own exterior door and opens into a
        short hallway with only a couple of classrooms and the bathrooms. The
        interior door at the end of the hallway has a different lock, isolating the
        center from the rest of the building. As the director I have a key for it,
        but otherwise the center is self-contained so we have no problems with all
        the staff having keys to the exterior door.

        Gary Templeman

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        > or send blank email to FHCNET-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      • Alan and Deborah Glenn
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 1, 2003
          We have a separate exterior door which goes into to a large classroom.
          This takes a computerized key which keeps track of when and who has
          opened it. Then, the computer room and microfilm room are off this
          classroom and behind doors locked by a normal type key. This key will
          not open the chapel or Cultural Hall, but we have been given one to keep
          in the Center in case we have a need to access those areas, and the
          kitchen. After listening to all of you I am grateful for our High
          Councilor in charge of keys who gives them to me if I feel a need. I
          happen to live right behind the Stake Center, but sufficient keys have
          been given out so I don't have to go over and let people in all the
          time. We pretty much have one key to a person on a shift that needs
          to open.
          Happy New Year!
          Deborah Glenn- Salem FHC

        • beacon1ny <beacon1@excite.com>
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 1, 2003
            Just my last two cents about the policies for distribution of keys.

            Keyholder Policy is addressed in that thin green Addendum Booklet
            (It's entitled "Meetinghouse Policies" or something like that. I'm
            at home so I can't check the cover of the copy we keep in the FM
            Office.)

            This is an official addendum to the Church Handbook of Instructions
            and it states that the local Stake Leaders set-up the policy for who
            gets keys in their area. They, in turn, instruct the leaders of the
            individual units as to the policy to follow in the state. Hopefully
            this includes having them use the keyholder form at the back of the
            booklet to keep track of who has keys and what those keys open.

            If something bad happens--as unfortunately it sometimes does--it is
            helpful to know who has access to what.

            This allows flexibility for unique circumstances---but does not alter
            or reduce Stake or Unit Leaders' accountability for providing safe
            and secure premises for members and their guests. And, another
            important point is that keys are never to be lent or borrowed.

            A keyholder's stewardship is a serious one. All that we have in our
            buildings has been provided for our use by the Church through the use
            of sacred tithing funds. Sometimes sloppy security has resulted in
            theft,vandalism or even great destruction of property. This can cost
            the Church hundred of thousands of dollars (the widow's mite)to
            provide replacements of contents...or even an entire structure.

            Any questions about keys--ask your bishop/branch president to consult
            this addendum or ask the HC Rep to check with the Stake Presidency.
            All unit leaders should have this addendum. If they don't, they can
            request it (at no charge) from Church Distribution.

            Hope this helps. :o)
            Sharon
            Buffalo New York

            --- In FHCNET@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Templeman" <gtempleman1@a...>