Re: [FHCNET] What are we allowed?

  • Gary Templeman
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 5, 2012
      As I recall, that estimate is based on a page with a certain percentage of text coverage. Adding images or greater density of text will throw that out the window.

      Printer companies make their profits on the consumables. I have found with monochrome laser printers that you can often keep printing for a long time (weeks) after the low toner warning comes on, which makes me nervous of devices that "phone home" and automatically order. While it is promoted as for your convenience, you can be sure the company also sets up the process to sell the most replacement cartridges it
      can.

      I have an inkjet that shuts down all printing after a certain number of jobs because the waste ink pads are *supposedly* full (and not user replaceable). I bought an external waste tank, refillable ink system and a reset program to avoid being forced to buy a new printer when the existing one was perfectly functional.

      Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S™II Skyrocket™ an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone.Russell Hltn <RussellHltn@...> wrote:Let's not discount the possibility that some one is getting into the center
      and using the copier.  In our center, we take out the paper tray and lock
      it up in a cabinet when closing up.

      Also, the yield on a toner cartridge is estimated.  As they say YMMV.

      On Oct 5, 2012 4:46 PM, "Terri Jaskolka" <tjaskolka@...> wrote:

      > BTW, I've found that just collecting the cost of supplies divided by the
      > number of prints doesn't cover our replacement cost. This means that
      people
      > have been printing/copying things without paying for them, for whatever
      > reason, I'm not accusing people of being intentionally dishonest, it's
      just
      > there's no other way to explain it from what I can tell. :P What to do?

    • Emil O. Hanson
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 6, 2012
        Increase the cost per copy until you have the formula that breaks even. You
        are allowed to charge but you are not supposed to make a profit. Emil

        On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 8:45 PM, Terri Jaskolka <tjaskolka@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Don't forget the paper as well. And do you charge for ALL copies, or just
        > those the patron wants to keep (like the times when we get people trying to
        > print something from Ancestry.com using the browser's print function
        > instead of the one provided by Ancestry and they get pages of useless stuff
        > besides the image they were trying to get a copy of)?
        >
        > BTW, I've found that just collecting the cost of supplies divided by the
        > number of prints doesn't cover our replacement cost. This means that people
        > have been printing/copying things without paying for them, for whatever
        > reason, I'm not accusing people of being intentionally dishonest, it's just
        > there's no other way to explain it from what I can tell. :P What to do?
        >
        > On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 9:59 PM, Claire Brisson-Banks
        > <ladyclaire@...>wrote:
        >
        > > To All,
        > >
        > > The main FHL in Salt Lake charges for copies whether printed from a
        > > scanner or a photocopier.
        > >
        > > When I was a director, I charged for copies to cover costs of toner.
        > >
        > > This should not be a problem unless you have been directed not to from
        > > your stake.
        > >
        > > Most toners give you an estimate of how many copies you will get for the
        > > toner, divide that out with
        > > the cost of the toner and together with your stake determine a fair
        > price.
        > >
        > > Claire

        Emil O. Hanson