What are we allowed?

  • Claire Brisson-Banks
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 4, 2012
      To All,

      The main FHL in Salt Lake charges for copies whether printed from a scanner or a photocopier.

      When I was a director, I charged for copies to cover costs of toner.

      This should not be a problem unless you have been directed not to from your stake.

      Most toners give you an estimate of how many copies you will get for the toner, divide that out with
      the cost of the toner and together with your stake determine a fair price.

      Claire

    • Terri Jaskolka
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 5, 2012
        Don't forget the paper as well. And do you charge for ALL copies, or just
        those the patron wants to keep (like the times when we get people trying to
        print something from Ancestry.com using the browser's print function
        instead of the one provided by Ancestry and they get pages of useless stuff
        besides the image they were trying to get a copy of)?

        BTW, I've found that just collecting the cost of supplies divided by the
        number of prints doesn't cover our replacement cost. This means that people
        have been printing/copying things without paying for them, for whatever
        reason, I'm not accusing people of being intentionally dishonest, it's just
        there's no other way to explain it from what I can tell. :P What to do?

        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 5, 2012
          One factor in getting less money in to cover the costs often has to do with print snafus, the most common of late being a second blank page with only the headers and footers, no content.  Have seen it with Historical Records pages off and on the last few weeks.  They have got the Wiki issue from earlier this year dalt with, but this is a new one, happens with some indexed projects like two Argentina Census collections.

          Also had that print issue where the X738DE caches the most recent print job even after printing, and whn you turn on computers the next time you come in and turn on the computers, the printer prints something out and that is the print run that the patron printed the last time the computers were on, sometimes that will run ten pages, as in the case of an Ancestry print job, usually it's only one or two pages.

          ________________________________

          <ladyclaire@...>wrote:

          > To All,
          >
          > The main FHL in Salt Lake charges for copies whether printed from a
          > scanner or a photocopier.
          >
          > When I was a director, I charged for copies to cover costs of toner.
          >
          > This should not be a problem unless you have been directed not to from
          > your stake.
          >
          > Most toners give you an estimate of how many copies you will get for the
          > toner, divide that out with
          > the cost of the toner and together with your stake determine a fair price.
          >
          > Claire

        • Russell Hltn
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 5, 2012
            Let's not discount the possibility that some one is getting into the center
            and using the copier. In our center, we take out the paper tray and lock
            it up in a cabinet when closing up.

            Also, the yield on a toner cartridge is estimated. As they say YMMV.

            On Oct 5, 2012 4:46 PM, "Terri Jaskolka" <tjaskolka@...> wrote:

            > BTW, I've found that just collecting the cost of supplies divided by the
            > number of prints doesn't cover our replacement cost. This means that
            people
            > have been printing/copying things without paying for them, for whatever
            > reason, I'm not accusing people of being intentionally dishonest, it's
            just
            > there's no other way to explain it from what I can tell. :P What to do?

          • Leslie Vaughn
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 5, 2012
              I cannot respond to most of your printing issues, but my understanding with the newer printers is that we should not be turning them off. They sync with the computers and each time you turn them off, they lose their “map” to the computer and sometimes print out old print jobs.

              I have found it is best to save an image as a jpg to the hard drive and then print and then delete from the hard drive. This way the image takes up the whole page and is easier to read. When a patron prints from Family search or from Ancestry.com using the websites’ print icon, the image usually only fills 1/3 to ½ a page and is impossible to read.

              The disadvantage to printing the image as a jpg is that you don’t get the source citation information. So I have the patron print it as instructed with the very small image and the source information. Then I have them print the larger jpg image and instruct them to staple the pages. We charge a dime a page and thus far everyone seems to be happy to pay 20 cents for the two pages.

              Leslie Vaughn

              <ladyclaire@... <mailto:ladyclaire%40email.com> >wrote:

              > To All,
              >
              > The main FHL in Salt Lake charges for copies whether printed from a
              > scanner or a photocopier.
              >
              > When I was a director, I charged for copies to cover costs of toner.
              >
              > This should not be a problem unless you have been directed not to from
              > your stake.
              >
              > Most toners give you an estimate of how many copies you will get for the
              > toner, divide that out with
              > the cost of the toner and together with your stake determine a fair price.
              >
              > Claire

            • Leslie Vaughn
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 5, 2012
                Smart

                I know our missionaries use the FHC to get their emails and view their
                assigned videos on their P days. Don't know if they are printing or not,
                but I do know of others who use the computers for non-genealogical purposes.

                <mailto:tjaskolka%40gmail.com> > wrote:

                > BTW, I've found that just collecting the cost of supplies divided by the
                > number of prints doesn't cover our replacement cost. This means that
                people
                > have been printing/copying things without paying for them, for whatever
                > reason, I'm not accusing people of being intentionally dishonest, it's
                just
                > there's no other way to explain it from what I can tell. :P What to do?

              • Gary Templeman
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 5, 2012
                  As I recall, that estimate is based on a page with a certain percentage of text coverage. Adding images or greater density of text will throw that out the window.

                  Printer companies make their profits on the consumables. I have found with monochrome laser printers that you can often keep printing for a long time (weeks) after the low toner warning comes on, which makes me nervous of devices that "phone home" and automatically order. While it is promoted as for your convenience, you can be sure the company also sets up the process to sell the most replacement cartridges it
                  can.

                  I have an inkjet that shuts down all printing after a certain number of jobs because the waste ink pads are *supposedly* full (and not user replaceable). I bought an external waste tank, refillable ink system and a reset program to avoid being forced to buy a new printer when the existing one was perfectly functional.

                  Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S™II Skyrocket™ an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone.Russell Hltn <RussellHltn@...> wrote:Let's not discount the possibility that some one is getting into the center
                  and using the copier.  In our center, we take out the paper tray and lock
                  it up in a cabinet when closing up.

                  Also, the yield on a toner cartridge is estimated.  As they say YMMV.

                  On Oct 5, 2012 4:46 PM, "Terri Jaskolka" <tjaskolka@...> wrote:

                  > BTW, I've found that just collecting the cost of supplies divided by the
                  > number of prints doesn't cover our replacement cost. This means that
                  people
                  > have been printing/copying things without paying for them, for whatever
                  > reason, I'm not accusing people of being intentionally dishonest, it's
                  just
                  > there's no other way to explain it from what I can tell. :P What to do?

                • Emil O. Hanson
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 6, 2012
                    Increase the cost per copy until you have the formula that breaks even. You
                    are allowed to charge but you are not supposed to make a profit. Emil

                    On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 8:45 PM, Terri Jaskolka <tjaskolka@...> wrote:

                    > **
                    >

                    > Don't forget the paper as well. And do you charge for ALL copies, or just
                    > those the patron wants to keep (like the times when we get people trying to
                    > print something from Ancestry.com using the browser's print function
                    > instead of the one provided by Ancestry and they get pages of useless stuff
                    > besides the image they were trying to get a copy of)?
                    >
                    > BTW, I've found that just collecting the cost of supplies divided by the
                    > number of prints doesn't cover our replacement cost. This means that people
                    > have been printing/copying things without paying for them, for whatever
                    > reason, I'm not accusing people of being intentionally dishonest, it's just
                    > there's no other way to explain it from what I can tell. :P What to do?
                    >
                    > On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 9:59 PM, Claire Brisson-Banks
                    > <ladyclaire@...>wrote:
                    >
                    > > To All,
                    > >
                    > > The main FHL in Salt Lake charges for copies whether printed from a
                    > > scanner or a photocopier.
                    > >
                    > > When I was a director, I charged for copies to cover costs of toner.
                    > >
                    > > This should not be a problem unless you have been directed not to from
                    > > your stake.
                    > >
                    > > Most toners give you an estimate of how many copies you will get for the
                    > > toner, divide that out with
                    > > the cost of the toner and together with your stake determine a fair
                    > price.
                    > >
                    > > Claire

                    Emil O. Hanson