Vital Records Index - Western Europe

  • Greg
    Message 1 of 8 , May 3, 2012
      The CD set containing Vital Records Index - Western Europe has been available for some time. Does anyone know if it is available online at FamilySearch.org or some other online place?
    • Bill Buchanan
      Message 2 of 8 , May 4, 2012
        These (and most other) CD sets are no longer available. The Resource File
        Viewer software they depend on is incompatible with Windows7. We
        get occasional calls and emails about this. In nearly all cases the patrons
        are satisfied to know that the data is available on the FamilySearch
        website for free. Occasionally someone will decide to keep an older
        computer that can run the software. A theoretical work-around is to try
        running a WindowsXT virtual machine within Windows7 Ultimate, but the only
        person I talked to who tried it was unsuccessful. And his technical skills
        far exceeded mine.

        Bill Buchanan

        On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 8:32 PM, Greg <gpford5@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > The CD set containing Vital Records Index - Western Europe has been
        > available for some time. Does anyone know if it is available online at
        > FamilySearch.org or some other online place?

      • William Rigtrup
        Message 3 of 8 , May 4, 2012
          there is a short video and an attachment (pdf) file on the family history
          center director page that talks a little on this subject. Unfortunately
          not much more is given than that which is presented below. It does say
          however on page 2 with ref to the vital records Indexes on CD that: "Most
          but not all of the information found on the Vital Records Indexes on CD is
          found online at familysearch.org. Because certain restrictions and cutoff
          dates are in place for some of the records. these disc should be retained
          in the center." Reading between the lines I would surmise that Salt Lake is
          no longer supplying them or has any intention to make more copies.

          On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 6:22 AM, Bill Buchanan <genealogistbuchanan@...
          > wrote:

          > **
          >

          > These (and most other) CD sets are no longer available. The Resource File
          > Viewer software they depend on is incompatible with Windows7. We
          > get occasional calls and emails about this. In nearly all cases the patrons
          > are satisfied to know that the data is available on the FamilySearch
          > website for free. Occasionally someone will decide to keep an older
          > computer that can run the software. A theoretical work-around is to try
          > running a WindowsXT virtual machine within Windows7 Ultimate, but the only
          > person I talked to who tried it was unsuccessful. And his technical skills
          > far exceeded mine.
          >
          > Bill Buchanan
          >
          > On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 8:32 PM, Greg <gpford5@...> wrote:
          >
          > > **
          > >

          > > The CD set containing Vital Records Index - Western Europe has been
          > > available for some time. Does anyone know if it is available online at
          > > FamilySearch.org or some other online place?

          --Maple Valley Wa Family History Center
          *Carl Rigtrup*
          425 271-1614

        • Greg
          Message 4 of 8 , May 4, 2012
            Thank you all very much for your help.

            --- In FHCNET@yahoogroups.com, William Rigtrup <carlrigtrup@...> wrote:

            > there is a short video and an attachment (pdf) file on the family history
            > > >

            > > > The CD set containing Vital Records Index - Western Europe has been
            > > > available for some time. Does anyone know if it is available online at
            > > > FamilySearch.org or some other online place?

          • Dana Repouille
            Message 5 of 8 , May 4, 2012
              I asked my wife if she wanted to attend the Family History Conference at BYU the week of Jul 31 - Aug 3.She clicked around the web site, but could not find a detailed agenda or listing of workshops. If you have attended such a conference, can you please tell us what it is like? Thank you,Dana Repouille

            • Bert and Jessie
              Message 6 of 8 , May 4, 2012
                My home computer has WIN 7 64 bit Professional. My computer runs Virtual Win XP
                and I have the Resource File Viewer installed and set up to access the CD's on
                the network. The CD's have been copied to my hard drive so I do not need to
                insert them. It works well for me. I also use Rootsmagic software on the
                Windows 7 partition. Both can be open at the same time, and I can copy and
                paste from the Resource file viewer CD's into Rootsmagic.

                I prefer the formatting of the RFV census info over what I get in
                familysearch.org. As a long time genealogist, I know almost exactly what is on
                the RFV CD's that pertain to my areas of interest. In addition, for the census,
                there are search options that are either impossible, or I have not yet learned
                how to perform them online. Results can also be output to a gedcom file.

                We have setup several FHC's with the Networked RFV. It was slightly more
                difficult to accomplish with Win7/WinXP virtual drive, but it is possible.

                Jessie Hearle

                Bessemer AL FHC

              • Bill Buchanan
                Message 7 of 8 , May 4, 2012
                  Jessie,

                  Good for you! I am glad to know that it can work. I understand that you are
                  using the Virtual XP mode that comes as part of Windows7 Professional (and
                  not some other XP virtual machine). Is that right?

                  Bill Buchanan

                  On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 12:47 PM, Bert and Jessie <
                  bertandjessie@...> wrote:

                  > **
                  >

                  > My home computer has WIN 7 64 bit Professional. My computer runs Virtual
                  > Win XP
                  > and I have the Resource File Viewer installed and set up to access the
                  > CD's on
                  > the network. The CD's have been copied to my hard drive so I do not need to
                  > insert them. It works well for me. I also use Rootsmagic software on the
                  > Windows 7 partition. Both can be open at the same time, and I can copy and
                  > paste from the Resource file viewer CD's into Rootsmagic.
                  >
                  > I prefer the formatting of the RFV census info over what I get in
                  > familysearch.org. As a long time genealogist, I know almost exactly what
                  > is on
                  > the RFV CD's that pertain to my areas of interest. In addition, for the
                  > census,
                  > there are search options that are either impossible, or I have not yet
                  > learned
                  > how to perform them online. Results can also be output to a gedcom file.
                  >
                  > We have setup several FHC's with the Networked RFV. It was slightly more
                  > difficult to accomplish with Win7/WinXP virtual drive, but it is possible.
                  >
                  > Jessie Hearle
                  >
                  > Bessemer AL FHC

                  > _.___

                • Lori Schallenberger
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 4, 2012
                    I have attended quite a few Family History Conferences and by far this one was the best I've been to. I think you would really enjoy it. Great information, I have not seen the agenda either, but I'm sure it will be great.
                    Lori Schallenberger