Re: [FHCNET] Re: Access to new.familysearch

  • Bill Buchanan
    Message 1 of 8 , May 2, 2012
      *Actual mileage may vary depending on individual driving practices

      I recently had two patrons with Chrome who could not recover a forgotten
      user name and reset the password because of an endless loop on the Captcha
      security text. One said he was using Chrome19. I don't remember what
      version the other one had. Firefox is working for me with no glitches
      despite frequent changes to the version number. IE is the usual culprit
      with the Captcha problem, (and old browsers such as AOL and MSN almost
      always fail), so I was surprised to encounter it with Chrome.
      My personal suggestion (i.e. not FS) is that FHCs should have IE, FF, and
      Chrome installed. That way if they run into a problem with one browser the
      solution is just a click away. (e.g. viewing historical records images) The
      hard disks in most FHCs are nearly empty, and these are relatively small
      programs. I see no reason not to have them available.
      I would avoid installing the free toolbars etc.
      I would leave IE as the default browser, as the Portal expects it. Fire-up
      FF or Chrome as needed.
      When patrons wish to register for FS or LDS accounts, use FF (or Chrome) to
      avoid problems with Captcha. The same is true for recovering user names and
      resetting passwords, where Captcha can be a roadblock.
      It is handy for FS Support if patrons can access their web-based email in
      the FHC (recover/reset uses email) but that would be subject to local
      policy.
      --

      Bill Buchanan
      blog: http://billbuchanan.blogspot.com