Re: [FHCNET] Re: Access to new.familysearch

    Message 1 of 8 , May 2, 2012
      I'm surprised anyone is talking IE9 at FamilySearch right now, it doesn't work right with some of the other FS sites, including the Wiki, and that according to Tier 3 support people I have spoken with as part of the Wiki Tech Meeting conference call on Tuesdays.

      They recommend Chrome or Firefox, although Firefox has gone through so many major updates lately even they are not sure what end is up there right now.  Chrome just simply works, there may be glitches there but I'm not hearing about many.

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 8 , May 2, 2012
        I work for the Church in the local Facilities Management Office and was
        instructed not to upgrade my computer to IE9 yet.
        I do have Firefox on my computer because some of my work applications
        automatically open up in it. (I use Firefox at home, too.)

        So, should we start using Chrome in the FHCs??? We just had a new tech
        support/assistant stake clerk called this weekend and I'd
        like to give him and the FHC director the best info possible.

        I'm also starting to use/test Family Tree. I think the vision is great
        and can't wait to see the final product.

        Sharon
        Buffalo NY FHC

        --- In FHCNET@yahoogroups.com, James W Anderson <genealogy248@...>
        wrote:

        > I'm surprised anyone is talking IE9 at FamilySearch right now, it
        doesn't work right with some of the other FS sites, including the Wiki,
        and that according to Tier 3 support people I have spoken with as part
        of the Wiki Tech Meeting conference call on Tuesdays.

        > They recommend Chrome or Firefox, although Firefox has gone through so
        many major updates lately even they are not sure what end is up there
        right now. Chrome just simply works, there may be glitches there but
        I'm not hearing about many.

        > ________________________________

      • Bill Buchanan
        Message 3 of 8 , May 2, 2012
          *Actual mileage may vary depending on individual driving practices

          I recently had two patrons with Chrome who could not recover a forgotten
          user name and reset the password because of an endless loop on the Captcha
          security text. One said he was using Chrome19. I don't remember what
          version the other one had. Firefox is working for me with no glitches
          despite frequent changes to the version number. IE is the usual culprit
          with the Captcha problem, (and old browsers such as AOL and MSN almost
          always fail), so I was surprised to encounter it with Chrome.
          My personal suggestion (i.e. not FS) is that FHCs should have IE, FF, and
          Chrome installed. That way if they run into a problem with one browser the
          solution is just a click away. (e.g. viewing historical records images) The
          hard disks in most FHCs are nearly empty, and these are relatively small
          programs. I see no reason not to have them available.
          I would avoid installing the free toolbars etc.
          I would leave IE as the default browser, as the Portal expects it. Fire-up
          FF or Chrome as needed.
          When patrons wish to register for FS or LDS accounts, use FF (or Chrome) to
          avoid problems with Captcha. The same is true for recovering user names and
          resetting passwords, where Captcha can be a roadblock.
          It is handy for FS Support if patrons can access their web-based email in
          the FHC (recover/reset uses email) but that would be subject to local
          policy.