Re: [FHCNET] Re: Access to new.familysearch

  • Bill Buchanan
    Message 1 of 8 , May 2, 2012
      Sharon,

      We are not suggesting that non-members become beta testers for FSFT, but if
      they ask for it specifically they can be given access. FSFT is very much "a
      work in progress". In a meeting this morning we were shown that some of the
      new features work in IE9 but not IE8. (I really prefer Firefox where it
      doesn't matter what version you use, everything still works.)

      Unlike nFS, I can't think of any reason that a non-member would want to
      use FSFT in its present state, other than curiosity. Even as a private
      person, I would not recommend FSFT to non-members nor to members who are
      not already well-grounded in nFS. I have no doubt it will be a great
      product when completed. In the meantime, we do need some brave and
      knowledgeable souls as beta testers to help it reach its full potential.

      --

      Bill Buchanan
      blog: http://billbuchanan.blogspot.com

      Message 2 of 8 , May 2, 2012
        I'm surprised anyone is talking IE9 at FamilySearch right now, it doesn't work right with some of the other FS sites, including the Wiki, and that according to Tier 3 support people I have spoken with as part of the Wiki Tech Meeting conference call on Tuesdays.

        They recommend Chrome or Firefox, although Firefox has gone through so many major updates lately even they are not sure what end is up there right now.  Chrome just simply works, there may be glitches there but I'm not hearing about many.

        ________________________________
        We are not suggesting that non-members become beta testers for FSFT, but if
        they ask for it specifically they can be given access. FSFT is very much "a
        work in progress". In a meeting this morning we were shown that some of the
        new features work in IE9 but not IE8. (I really prefer Firefox where it
        doesn't matter what version you use, everything still works.)

        Unlike nFS, I can't think of any reason that a non-member would want to
        use FSFT in its present state, other than curiosity. Even as a private
        person, I would not recommend FSFT to non-members nor to members who are
        not already well-grounded in nFS. I have no doubt it will be a great
        product when completed. In the meantime, we do need some brave and
        knowledgeable souls as beta testers to help it reach its full potential.

        --

        Bill Buchanan
        blog: http://billbuchanan.blogspot.com

        On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 11:51 AM, umikersl <beacon1ny@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > I thought "Family Tree" was still in beta test and won't be rolled out
        > until later this year. They will be part of the beta testing???
        > Did I miss a document/email from FamilySearch about this?
        >
        > Is a general announcement beingmade so we all know that they can have
        > access to both NFS and Family Tree?
        > That would be much more helpful than sporadic word of mouth!
        >
        > Color Me Puzzled..
        > Sharon
        > Buffalo (NY) Family History Center
        > Williamsville, NY
        >

        > --- In FHCNET@yahoogroups.com, "Ken" <Ken_Richins@...> wrote:
        > >

        > > ALL public patron MAY have access to BOTH nFS and FamilySearch Family
        > Tree. The ONLY requirement is that they call the local toll free number
        > and ask for access to FamilySearch Family Tree. IF they do that they
        > will be sent to a site to grant access to nFS then to a site to grant
        > access to FamilySearch Family Tree. BOTH sites are open to anyone who
        > asks for access. Access is granted immediately!
        > >
        > > Elder Richins
        > > FamilySearch Partner and Patron Support

      • umikersl
        Message 3 of 8 , May 2, 2012
          I work for the Church in the local Facilities Management Office and was
          instructed not to upgrade my computer to IE9 yet.
          I do have Firefox on my computer because some of my work applications
          automatically open up in it. (I use Firefox at home, too.)

          So, should we start using Chrome in the FHCs??? We just had a new tech
          support/assistant stake clerk called this weekend and I'd
          like to give him and the FHC director the best info possible.

          I'm also starting to use/test Family Tree. I think the vision is great
          and can't wait to see the final product.

          Sharon
          Buffalo NY FHC

          --- In FHCNET@yahoogroups.com, James W Anderson <genealogy248@...>

          Message 4 of 8 , May 2, 2012
            *Actual mileage may vary depending on individual driving practices

            I recently had two patrons with Chrome who could not recover a forgotten
            user name and reset the password because of an endless loop on the Captcha
            security text. One said he was using Chrome19. I don't remember what
            version the other one had. Firefox is working for me with no glitches
            despite frequent changes to the version number. IE is the usual culprit
            with the Captcha problem, (and old browsers such as AOL and MSN almost
            always fail), so I was surprised to encounter it with Chrome.
            My personal suggestion (i.e. not FS) is that FHCs should have IE, FF, and
            Chrome installed. That way if they run into a problem with one browser the
            solution is just a click away. (e.g. viewing historical records images) The
            hard disks in most FHCs are nearly empty, and these are relatively small
            programs. I see no reason not to have them available.
            I would avoid installing the free toolbars etc.
            I would leave IE as the default browser, as the Portal expects it. Fire-up
            FF or Chrome as needed.
            When patrons wish to register for FS or LDS accounts, use FF (or Chrome) to
            avoid problems with Captcha. The same is true for recovering user names and
            resetting passwords, where Captcha can be a roadblock.
            It is handy for FS Support if patrons can access their web-based email in
            the FHC (recover/reset uses email) but that would be subject to local
            policy.