Re: Arbitrating and Indexing

  • kgrant100@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 30 8:39 PM
      I'd like to give an example of why the policy to index crossed out
      information is not a good idea. A few years back I came across a marriage license
      record, I believe it was, where the information had been crossed out. A
      little more investigation revealed that the marriage apparently hadn't taken
      place after all. Yet someone indexed it, and a temple sealing was performed
      for the couple.

      If the enumerator or record-keeper crossed something out, there was
      probably a good reason for it. It doesn't make sense to index crossed out
      information.

      Kathy

      In a message dated 4/29/2012 9:37:01 A.M. Mountain Daylight Time,
      FHCNET@yahoogroups.com writes:

      Based on the following, I believe that the otherwise blank document that I
      referred to below, with one line crossed out should have been indexed.

      Document ID: 102817

      Corrected Information:

      <_https://help.https://help.https://help.<Whttps://helhttps://help.https://_
      (https://help.fam
      ilysearch.org/publishing/347/102817_f.SAL_Public.html#top) of page>

      Some records have corrected, crossed out, or replaced information.

      · If information is crossed out and replaced, type the replacement data.

      · If information is crossed out, not replaced, but the original
      information can be read, type the crossed-out information.

    • John Vilburn
      Message 2 of 3 , May 1, 2012
        Kathy, that is a valid example. However, the purpose of indexing is to
        allow people to find the records. Once they have found the record, they
        should verify the data.

        And as a counter example, I know personally of a couple who got a
        marriage license, but never got married. On their marriage license there
        is exactly what you describe. The marriage date is entered, but crossed
        out. However, they did live together as husband and wife and raise a
        family. When in doubt, perform the sealing. If they were never actually
        a couple, the sealing won't mean anything. But if they were, the sealing
        means everything to them.

        John

      • RSchell1223@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , May 1, 2012
          My wife telephoned FamilySearch and asked for direction concerning crossed
          out information on the 1940 Census. The missionary she spoke to told her
          to include the information with a line drawn through it.

          Ron Schell
          Turlock, CA