I uzd ta cudnt spall arbitrator, now i is one

  • Lois Casson
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 16, 2012
      Okay, I have started arbitrating. So far the discrepancies on the work
      I've arbitrated has been pretty straight forward. I have consulted
      Ancestry a couple times....but didn't change spelling. I had a choice
      between Wiseley and Weseley and the name was actually Wesley but on the
      1940 census it is Weseley.

      I did some exercises and read some materials online and then called the
      FS Support number. The sister I spoke with was very happy I had
      called. Hint, hint to all who have indexed at least 5000 names in a
      variety of records. The arbitration is a breeze compared to the actual
      indexing, but I am sure to come across some that I will have to tear my
      hair out over.

      It's pretty sad when a place name is spelled correctly on the census
      page and both indexers misspell it. Additionally, there is one little
      piece of advice that I learned a few days ago. If a line is completely
      blank, you don't just use control blank across the page, you use
      shift-control-blank which essentially blanks out the whole line
      including the number.

      --
      Lo in Flo
      Lois Kalander Casson
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 16, 2012
        I have been an arbitrator for a couple of months now.  I find most of the records I need to arbitrate are because one of the indexers did not read the instructions or aren't careful - like selecting M instead of F, when it is very clear what should be selected.  I can tell when one of the indexers is probably a totally new indexer.  One recent indexer on the 1940 census instead of marking blank fields as BLANK, decided to fill the fields in with XXXXXX's.  Others have been typing out "Rural" instead of typing the R.   Simple to do correctly if a person reads the directions, project pages, and project updates.

        For the most part, arbitrating is easier than indexing - it is usually obvious which indexer's entry is correct.  But when it is hard, it is very hard!   When the handwriting isn't readable and both indexers can't read it  and come up with different possible solutions, it is very hard and I often spend a lot time and effort studying the handwriting of the enumerators and searching online for information that will help me determine what was written.

        As an indexer I have been frustrated as well with arbitrators that don't follow the instructions.  I have sent quite a bit of feedback on arbitrators that haven't followed instructions and have been careless.

        So, whether indexing or arbitrating, please read the directions, project instructions, and check frequently the project updates page.

        Rebecca Christensen

      • Leslie Vaughn
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 16, 2012
          Well Said!

          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 16, 2012
            I agree with all of your comments. For the most part I get a page done
            fairly quickly, but there are those that you struggle with. I feel
            badly for people who are new to indexing and you can tell who they are.
            I am not sympathetic to arbitrators who don't know what they are doing
            because they were supposed to have a certain level of experience before
            they started arbitrating. I think with the requisite amount of
            experience we wouldn't be seeing as many mistakes. At any rate, I will
            keep on keepin on.

            Lois Casson

            On 4/16/2012 10:50 PM, Rebecca Christensen wrote:

            > I have been an arbitrator for a couple of months now. I find most of
            > the records I need to arbitrate are because one of the indexers did
            > not read the instructions or aren't careful - like selecting M instead
            > of F, when it is very clear what should be selected. I can tell when
            > one of the indexers is probably a totally new indexer. One recent
            > indexer on the 1940 census instead of marking blank fields as BLANK,
            > decided to fill the fields in with XXXXXX's. Others have been typing
            > out "Rural" instead of typing the R. Simple to do correctly if a
            > person reads the directions, project pages, and project updates.
            >
            > For the most part, arbitrating is easier than indexing - it is usually
            > obvious which indexer's entry is correct. But when it is hard, it is
            > very hard! When the handwriting isn't readable and both indexers
            > can't read it and come up with different possible solutions, it is
            > very hard and I often spend a lot time and effort studying the
            > handwriting of the enumerators and searching online for information
            > that will help me determine what was written.
            >
            > As an indexer I have been frustrated as well with arbitrators that
            > don't follow the instructions. I have sent quite a bit of feedback on
            > arbitrators that haven't followed instructions and have been careless.
            >
            > So, whether indexing or arbitrating, please read the directions,
            > project instructions, and check frequently the project updates page.
            >
            > Rebecca Christensen

            Lo in Flo
            Lois Kalander Casson
            Pensacola, FL

            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 17, 2012
              Lois Casson wrote:

              > Okay, I have started arbitrating. So far the discrepancies
              > on the work
              > I've arbitrated has been pretty straight forward. I have
              > consulted
              > Ancestry a couple times....but didn't change spelling. I had
              > a choice
              > between Wiseley and Weseley and the name was actually Wesley
              > but on the
              > 1940 census it is Weseley.

              That looks like one of mine from yesterday. (g)

              One of the "rules" I found sent my BP up over 120 -- change
              the "F" or "M" to match the name. PLEASE don't!

              An 80-yr-old couple named Elmer and Clyde are more likely M
              and F as it says on the page, not M and M as the names suggest.

              Likewise, Marion and Marian are both used for women, but
              Marion is also a male given name in Va/WVa so you may as
              well assume the person giving the info knows what color the
              booties were. (Yeah, I've a cousin named Marion and he
              played football in HS back in the 50s.)

              And don't forget the late, great, Shirley Povich,
              sportswriter, who ought to be on the 1940 somewhere. He's
              definitely male. His son is a TV personality.

              Cheryl
            • tmason1
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 17, 2012
                Reminds me of the first family I was assigned to home teach after I joined the Church.

                His name was Beverly and her name was Bobby.

                --- In FHCNET@yahoogroups.com, singhals <singhals@...> wrote:

                > One of the "rules" I found sent my BP up over 120 -- change
                > the "F" or "M" to match the name. PLEASE don't!
                >
                > An 80-yr-old couple named Elmer and Clyde are more likely M
                > and F as it says on the page, not M and M as the names suggest.
                >
                > Likewise, Marion and Marian are both used for women, but
                > Marion is also a male given name in Va/WVa so you may as
                > well assume the person giving the info knows what color the
                > booties were. (Yeah, I've a cousin named Marion and he
                > played football in HS back in the 50s.)
                >
                > And don't forget the late, great, Shirley Povich,
                > sportswriter, who ought to be on the 1940 somewhere. He's
                > definitely male. His son is a TV personality.
                >
                > Cheryl
              • Joan Raney
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 17, 2012
                  My cousin's husband is named Beverly, and my girlfriend's ex-husband is
                  named Carol.

                  Joan in NC

                  Tmason1 wrote:
                  >Reminds me of the first family I was assigned to home teach after I
                  joined the Church.

                  >His name was Beverly and her name was Bobby.

                  --- In FHCNET@yahoogroups.com, singhals <singhals@...> wrote:

                  > One of the "rules" I found sent my BP up over 120 -- change
                  > the "F" or "M" to match the name. PLEASE don't!
                  >
                  > An 80-yr-old couple named Elmer and Clyde are more likely M
                  > and F as it says on the page, not M and M as the names suggest.
                  >
                  > Likewise, Marion and Marian are both used for women, but
                  > Marion is also a male given name in Va/WVa so you may as
                  > well assume the person giving the info knows what color the
                  > booties were. (Yeah, I've a cousin named Marion and he
                  > played football in HS back in the 50s.)
                  >
                  > And don't forget the late, great, Shirley Povich,
                  > sportswriter, who ought to be on the 1940 somewhere. He's
                  > definitely male. His son is a TV personality.
                  >
                  > Cheryl
                • L. L. Scott
                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 17, 2012
                    I had cousins Dale Laverne and Charles Vivian, they did not go by their
                    middle names.
                    A late m-i-l's name was William Henry Ruffin, she went by Willie

                    One of the "rules" I found sent my BP up over 120 -- change
                    the "F" or "M" to match the name. PLEASE don't!

                    An 80-yr-old couple named Elmer and Clyde are more likely M
                    and F as it says on the page, not M and M as the names suggest.

                    Likewise, Marion and Marian are both used for women, but
                    Marion is also a male given name in Va/WVa so you may as
                    well assume the person giving the info knows what color the
                    booties were. (Yeah, I've a cousin named Marion and he
                    played football in HS back in the 50s.)

                    And don't forget the late, great, Shirley Povich,
                    sportswriter, who ought to be on the 1940 somewhere. He's
                    definitely male. His son is a TV personality.

                  • Len Ingermanson
                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 17, 2012
                      I think you need to look for additional clues, not just the name. I
                      indexed a person the other day who had a male name, marked as the Son in
                      the relationship column, but was marked as a female. If the total entry
                      suggests a different gender, you should correct it. Like you said, just
                      the name, alone, should not be the determining factor. Many years ago I
                      was friends with a couple named Beverly and Beverly. He went by Beev (long
                      e)and she went by Bev (short e). Great couple.
                      Len Ingermanson

                      > One of the "rules" I found sent my BP up over 120 -- change
                      > the "F" or "M" to match the name. PLEASE don't!
                      >
                      > An 80-yr-old couple named Elmer and Clyde are more likely M
                      > and F as it says on the page, not M and M as the names suggest.
                      >
                      > Likewise, Marion and Marian are both used for women, but
                      > Marion is also a male given name in Va/WVa so you may as
                      > well assume the person giving the info knows what color the
                      > booties were. (Yeah, I've a cousin named Marion and he
                      > played football in HS back in the 50s.)
                      >
                      > And don't forget the late, great, Shirley Povich,
                      > sportswriter, who ought to be on the 1940 somewhere. He's
                      > definitely male. His son is a TV personality.
                      >
                      > Cheryl

                    • L. L. Scott
                      Message 10 of 14 , Apr 17, 2012
                      • Leslie Vaughn
                        Message 11 of 14 , Apr 17, 2012
                          The instructions on gender clearly state not to change based on the name,
                          but that if the relationship indicated is different than the gender listed
                          that the gender should be changed. Example son is listed as female or niece
                          is listed as male. We all know of many gender- neutral names and also
                          names that were traditionally male that became female and even when the
                          "wrong" gender name was given because a child was named after someone that
                          was admired.

                          I had a female employee named Roger (named after a family friend)
                          I have a good female friend whose middle name is Keith (her mother liked the
                          sound of it)
                          The undertaker who buried my father was male but was named June, I have a
                          sister-in-law named June
                          I am female but when I was born most people with my name were male but now
                          no males use that name
                          John Wayne's real first name was Marion, my daughter-in-law's sister is
                          named Marion.
                          My granddaughter is Kacey but I have a male cousin named Casey.
                          I have a male cousin named Sidney but have a good female friend named Sidney
                          My husband's nephew is Carol
                          I have a friend named Pat and her husband is also Pat. They both go by Pat.

                          And on and on. We don't change the gender because of the name.

                          But I have changed the gender in indexing the 1940 census based on the
                          relationship as the instructions have told us to do.

                          Leslie Vaughn

                          Message 12 of 14 , Apr 17, 2012
                            Hi Leslie, I don't think the guidelines say we can change a name. It's if a gender isn't entered we can use "relationship" to determine what the sex may be, but the decision should never be based on the name. Lois Casson

                          • Lois Casson
                            Message 13 of 14 , Apr 17, 2012
                              This is straight from the project update info online, I stand corrected:

                              *Gender:*

                              If a person such as a son or daughter are listed and the name and
                              relationship do not match the gender recorded- the gender can be corrected.

                              --
                              Lo in Flo
                              Lois Kalander Casson

                            • Barbara L. Eades
                              Message 14 of 14 , Apr 17, 2012
                                I have been following this thread. My mother's own given name was Jimmie. They even tried to draft her during WW-II. She had to go down and prove that she was indeed a female and had 3 little girls to boot. At the time, there was a woman down the street from us whose own given name was Billie or Billy. Don't know if they tried to draft her or not.

                                Barbara L. Eades