Indexing Arbitrators

  • Lois Casson
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 14, 2012
      Just wondering if anyone else is flustered with the arbitrators in
      indexing. Now that you can view your accuracy percentage and view the
      errors you get pinged on it is very obvious that many arbitrators don't
      know what they are doing. I have written to support and keep getting
      told to read the guidelines and watch the power-point presentation. I
      have done it so often that I practically have it all memorized to the
      point that I could recite it, and it all backs up my understanding.

      I've seen them repeatedly change names to what they think they should be
      as well as other indications that some really don't understand how
      things should be done. I don't mind getting pinged for my real errors,
      but when I study a name for 15 minutes to get it as correct as I can and
      then an arbitrator changes it to something that wasn't written, I get a
      bit heated.

      --
      Lo in Flo
      Lois Kalander Casson
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 14, 2012
        I'm with you on this one
        DL Melville

        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 14, 2012
          I am both an indexer and an arbitrator and I know that I have made mistakes
          doing both, but I spend a lot of time trying to find the right spelling or
          name for an individual or a place. I read the project instructions as well
          as the general instructions and sometimes, as an arbitrator, I have to
          review an entry that both indexers could be right. If after several
          attempts to locate this individual in other records, using records on
          familysearch or on other websites, I have to guess if it is Larry or Lanny.
          I feel really bad when I choose one of these close ones over another. My
          only option would be to use the asterisk or the question mark.

          Tonight I arbitrated one of the 1940 census records in which one of the
          indexers got at least 4 things wrong with every person. They put the
          relationship in the title or terms box. They put blanks for some of the
          locations of birth or previous residence. They put the full name in the
          place of the surname and repeated it in the given name field. They
          couldn't read much of the writing, which was not hard, and put in gobbeldy
          goop in the name area or the location areas. They spelled out abbreviated
          names such as William for Wm and didn't spell out place names and used
          abbreviations for them such as VA for Virginia. The 2nd indexer was about
          50% as bad so I had to be very careful and had to input my own
          interpretation in a lot of the fields instead of choosing one of the two. I
          hope these indexer are new and I haven't ruined their enthusiasm by not
          choosing their entry. I hope they learn from the mistakes and can go on to
          become quite proficient.

          As an indexer, I smart a bit when I get lower marks for my non-mistakes. I
          just keep hitting the feedback button and home someone somewhere looks at
          these.

          I wish there were a way that either as indexer or arbitrator that we could
          share why I picked Mahlon over Milton. I looked at earlier census records,
          his WWI draft record and his SSN death index to be sure it was Mahlon. But
          no one knows that I did that-not the arbitrator nor the person (if he/she
          exists) that looks at the feedback.

          Leslie Vaughn

          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 14, 2012
            I agree whole heartedly. I am sure that some of the arbitrators have not
            read the project instructions. Here is what I do every time that I feel
            that the arbitrator has made an error, I click on the feedback tab and
            click the review box. From my understanding, family search is monitoring
            the feedback reports and can check how an arbitrator is doing. If they
            determine an arbitrator is doing a poor job, they can contact him or her
            and give some instruction. If the arbitrator continues to do poorly that
            person can be removed from arbitrating further records. If this is
            incorrect information, those from SL can post a correction to this info. I
            have had several cases where the arbitrator has totally made errors and
            unfortunately their errors will be the final result for those records.
            There have been times when I have been so frustrated that I feel like
            quitting the indexing project all together. But I realize that if I did
            and others did the same we would not complete the project. There are many
            arbitrators who are doing a good job, trying to fix errors by the indexers.
            My wife volunteered to be an arbitrator for this project. Yesterday she
            was arbitrating one record where the middle initial of a person had a fancy
            letter C that the indexer indexed it as the ampersand (@) as the middle
            initial. Also, some the images a so blurry that it is almost impossible to
            read anything on the page, very poor imaging by whoever did it.
            Len Ingermanson

            On Sat, Apr 14, 2012 at 8:28 PM, Lois Casson <lcasson@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > Just wondering if anyone else is flustered with the arbitrators in
            > indexing. Now that you can view your accuracy percentage and view the
            > errors you get pinged on it is very obvious that many arbitrators don't
            > know what they are doing. I have written to support and keep getting
            > told to read the guidelines and watch the power-point presentation. I
            > have done it so often that I practically have it all memorized to the
            > point that I could recite it, and it all backs up my understanding.
            >
            > I've seen them repeatedly change names to what they think they should be
            > as well as other indications that some really don't understand how
            > things should be done. I don't mind getting pinged for my real errors,
            > but when I study a name for 15 minutes to get it as correct as I can and
            > then an arbitrator changes it to something that wasn't written, I get a
            > bit heated.
            >
            > --
            > Lo in Flo
            > Lois Kalander Casson
            > Pensacola, FL

          • Lois Casson
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 14, 2012
              Hi Leslie, I was invited to be an arbitrator last year but didn't feel
              that I wanted to devote myself to all the "training" at the time. I've
              been indexing since the early 90's when we had a DOS program and worked
              off printed sheets and saved to the large floppies. Additionally, I
              index Swedish and Spanish records. I really have developed a good eye.
              My problem is not the Larry and Lanny stuff, it's actually changing
              surnames and other names to what is acceptable for the arbitrator.

              Most memorable to me is the name Laukkenen, the family was from
              Finland. At first glance it looked like Laukkeney but that was not in
              the name list and the "y" didn't look right to me. I blew it clear up
              and could see that the tail of the "y" was actually the tip of a big
              loop for a capital "H" written below and the last letter was clearly an
              "n". Laukkenen is in the name list and I checked other records to be
              extra sure. Guess what, the other indexer and arbitrator went with the
              "y". Time after time I have names that are obviously misspelled,
              Antoins (very obviously written out this way) and it was changed to
              Antonio. One of the first rules I learned was "write what you see and
              not what you think it should be" and that is reiterated in the indexing
              guidelines for this census.

              The guidelines say that there are 40 lines on every page and to mark
              each line blank if there are no entries. I did a page today that had
              six names on it, did what I was supposed to do and got zinged for every
              single line I had marked blank because the enumerator had written a
              vertical line down all the numbers. Enumerators notes don't count.
              Rules say even if an item is marked out and corrected info not entered
              we enter the info that was marked out if we can read it. A page has to
              have 40 lines so we have to use every line the enumerator incorrectly
              lined out.

              I have made a request to be an arbitrator. I know I am more
              knowledgeable and believe I can use better judgment than some that I
              have seen. I know I'll still be indexing, but maybe it will be a little
              less frustrating overall. I have already surpassed 3000 names this month.

              Lois Casson

              On 4/15/2012 12:20 AM, Leslie Vaughn wrote:

              > I am both an indexer and an arbitrator and I know that I have made
              > mistakes
              > doing both, but I spend a lot of time trying to find the right spelling or
              > name for an individual or a place. I read the project instructions as well
              > as the general instructions and sometimes, as an arbitrator, I have to
              > review an entry that both indexers could be right. If after several
              > attempts to locate this individual in other records, using records on
              > familysearch or on other websites, I have to guess if it is Larry or
              > Lanny.
              > I feel really bad when I choose one of these close ones over another. My
              > only option would be to use the asterisk or the question mark.
              >
              > Tonight I arbitrated one of the 1940 census records in which one of the
              > indexers got at least 4 things wrong with every person. They put the
              > relationship in the title or terms box. They put blanks for some of the
              > locations of birth or previous residence. They put the full name in the
              > place of the surname and repeated it in the given name field. They
              > couldn't read much of the writing, which was not hard, and put in gobbeldy
              > goop in the name area or the location areas. They spelled out abbreviated
              > names such as William for Wm and didn't spell out place names and used
              > abbreviations for them such as VA for Virginia. The 2nd indexer was about
              > 50% as bad so I had to be very careful and had to input my own
              > interpretation in a lot of the fields instead of choosing one of the
              > two. I
              > hope these indexer are new and I haven't ruined their enthusiasm by not
              > choosing their entry. I hope they learn from the mistakes and can go on to
              > become quite proficient.
              >
              > As an indexer, I smart a bit when I get lower marks for my non-mistakes. I
              > just keep hitting the feedback button and home someone somewhere looks at
              > these.
              >
              > I wish there were a way that either as indexer or arbitrator that we could
              > share why I picked Mahlon over Milton. I looked at earlier census records,
              > his WWI draft record and his SSN death index to be sure it was Mahlon. But
              > no one knows that I did that-not the arbitrator nor the person (if he/she
              > exists) that looks at the feedback.
              >
              > Leslie Vaughn
              >
              > From: FHCNET@yahoogroups.com <mailto:FHCNET%40yahoogroups.com>

              Lo in Flo
              Lois Kalander Casson
              Pensacola, FL

            • Lois Casson
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 14, 2012
                Hi Len, Glad to know it's not me. In my correspondence with support
                when we hit feedback they do review the entries so we really should
                review everything. I can't fault people who are jumping in and helping
                with the indexing. Many are real novices who have never done research
                but they want to help. I figure between two indexers and one good
                arbitrator the work will move forward. I think that we have arbitrators
                who really don't have the experience to be arbitrators though. I did
                quit for three days but just had to go back. But, I keep voice my
                frustrations to support.

                Lois Casson

                --
                Lo in Flo
                Lois Kalander Casson
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 15, 2012
                  What happens after hitting the feedback button?
                  Travis

                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 15, 2012
                    Lois Casson wrote:

                    > Just wondering if anyone else is flustered with the
                    > arbitrators in
                    > indexing. Now that you can view your accuracy percentage and
                    > view the
                    > errors you get pinged on it is very obvious that many
                    > arbitrators don't
                    > know what they are doing. I have written to support and keep
                    > getting
                    > told to read the guidelines and watch the power-point
                    > presentation. I
                    > have done it so often that I practically have it all
                    > memorized to the
                    > point that I could recite it, and it all backs up my
                    > understanding.
                    >
                    > I've seen them repeatedly change names to what they think
                    > they should be
                    > as well as other indications that some really don't
                    > understand how
                    > things should be done. I don't mind getting pinged for my
                    > real errors,
                    > but when I study a name for 15 minutes to get it as correct
                    > as I can and
                    > then an arbitrator changes it to something that wasn't
                    > written, I get a
                    > bit heated.

                    FWIW -- non-member indexers are just as frustrated/annoyed
                    by this as the rest of you. (Far's I can tell none of mine
                    have been arbitrated or I'd say as the rest of US.)

                    I've been indexing since the 1970s on various projects. The
                    ones I like best are the one where I can work on the area I
                    know best (g) and that allow me to type what people will be
                    looking for rather than what some idjit wrote down.

                    I can see why WAMPA isn't recognized as a standard name, I'm
                    not at all clear on why WHITIACRE _is_, and although I've
                    always known the lady as Arbutus that's not what's on the
                    record ...

                    Still, the point of an index is as a finding aid. Indexing
                    obvious errors such as the 2nd "i" in Whitacre or an ie
                    instead of a u isn't helping anyone find anything. OTOH,
                    yeah, if I didn't know Arbutus and the Whitacres, I probably
                    wouldn't catch that they are errors, so I see the problem
                    and reluctantly agree Type What You See is the only choice. :(

                    Cheryl
                  • Paul Walworth
                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 15, 2012
                      I feel better about some of the mistakes I may have made while indexing.  It seems all attempts at decrypting the hand writing just may end up being placed into the system.  The reason I say this is I have found more than one version of the spelling of some of my ancestors; some times as many as 5 choices.  Many times I had to use every name listed with the record to find them in my records.  Some are very wild translations of the name but after looking at the handwriting I can understand why.  So I am grateful for all the attempts at the efforts in interpreting some of the sloppy handwriting that is in some of those records.  Some have great handwriting but also some of them are so fancy they also obscure and make almost impossible the ability to know just what the letters are even after checking that persons letters on the complete record.  It will take months for me to gather all the information in family search just using the United States
                      alone going one state at a time but then I am glad there are so many records and they have so far only backed up what I was given in the first place.  Some dates are off but most by one day so I keep record of both dates.  But there are also many that give dates where I only have "about" and for this I will always be grateful.  There is so much there that I have not had time to do anymore indexing at this time. As long as the original records are available we can decrypt them ourselves as some are way off but with our own records there is still a chance we can see the correct spelling.
                      I am just glad they are now there to be viewed online and give us a better chance of backing up the facts we receive sometimes without vital records but also add more information on each person such as their occupation, where they lived at the time they were married, who married them as well as the witnesses, etc.  Genealogy is always a puzzle and this added information helps solve many parts of this puzzle.  It is always nice to be able to get to know our ancestors as it helps to feel a greater bond with them.

                      So all I can say is a Big Thank You for all those doing this great work.

                      Paul

                      ________________________________

                      --
                      Lo in Flo
                      Lois Kalander Casson

                    • Lois Casson
                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 15, 2012
                        Leslie,

                        Per my exchanges with FS support it is my understanding that the entries
                        are reviewed when you it the feedback button and we are encouraged to
                        review the results and to use the feedback button.

                        Lois

                        On 4/15/2012 7:46 AM, Travis Morris wrote:

                        > What happens after hitting the feedback button?
                        > Travis
                        >
                        > From: FHCNET@yahoogroups.com <mailto:FHCNET%40yahoogroups.com>

                        Lo in Flo
                        Lois Kalander Casson
                        Pensacola, FL

                      • Lois Casson
                        Message 11 of 11 , Apr 15, 2012
                          I believe the reason that we are supposed to type what we see is because
                          we don't necessarily know for a fact that a spelling is incorrect. I
                          have typed names many times that I thought were incorrect but that they
                          turned out to be on the name list. And there is the added problem of
                          both indexers and the arbitrator have different opinions of what the
                          name should be.

                          Lois Casson

                          --
                          Lo in Flo