Re: Updating the Members Guide to Temple and Family History Work

  • tmason1
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 7, 2012
      Alan,

      I called Todd Jones in the Family History Department on 1/21/2011 about the missing lesson plan for teaching Source Documentation. He sympathized but voiced the problem is in modifying or updating a printed manual that was put to press in 2009.

      When I tried to enter my comments shown below using the "Feedback" section at http://www.lds.org/service/serving-in-the-church/temple-and-family-history/course-materials?lang=eng my message was truncated. There seems to be no well designed means for providing good feedback about this need.

      As for providing this through sending it to "support" at familysearch, that process gives the appearance of caring, but the missionaries are really rather helpless to influence those who design the Member's Guide (beginning) lessons or lessons at https://familysearch.org/learn .

      There seems to be no ears that really hear and are able to listen to the degree that goes beyond a sympathetic response. It seems that supporting the teacher in the classroom is being ignored. It seems we are more focused on technology and entertainment than upon the process of our students really learning. As a professional educator I was trained to prepare instructional objectives designed to help the student learn.

      Do you have any ideas about how to provide a better means to address this problem?

      Terry Mason
      Clermont FL

      --- In FHCNET@yahoogroups.com, Allan Hale <fatherhale@...> wrote:

      > Brother Mason
      >
      > Have you submitted this as a feed back to the department?
      >
      > Allan Hale
      > WWS Missionary
      >
      > >________________________________

    • tmason1
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 7, 2012
        According to page 17 of the "Leader's Guide to Temple and Family History Work" the beginning class is "taught under the direction of the bishopric rathere than the Sunday School president". WHY?

        When the students are called to this class, it means their Bishopric have approved one main idea.

        It is that for the next two months these class members are to set aside other callings and most other obligations and focus on learning the FUNDAMENTALS of doing their own family history research and personal histories.

        Instead of going into all the information in the portals and the wiki, focus on the member documenting (providing proof) for each little piece of data of the first five generations of their family tree. Point out that that means all the descendants of each of those generations. If they will do that one task, then the other topics will become useful.

        Page 3 of the Leader's Guide states that Priesthood Leaders provide doctrinal direction to family history work. They are the ones with the keys and responsibility to teach these principles and encourage member participation.

        So ask these Priesthood Leaders to tell these members what their assignment is and ask them to then turn the time over to you to teach the class members how to fulfill their assignment.

        You can not ask each of the class members to run faster than they have strength. Consultants are assigned to provide the one-on-one learning experience. (That is from the Consultant's Manual.) That is the difference between our being entertainers in front of the group and helping each individual member apply the principles of doing their own family history and helping them turn their heart to their own ancestors.

        Terry Mason
        Clermont FL

        --- In FHCNET@yahoogroups.com, "Leslie Vaughn" <Leslievaughn@...> wrote:

> [...]
        >
        > I have planned to add several weeks to the end of the class for practical exercises and to introduce familysearch and the websites within the portals. I also want to talk about duplication in nfs and how to combine and uncombined and to really examine the "ready" designations. I want to introduce the wiki and the on-line lessons and the training mode of nfs. I know that most of these things would be more properly taught in evening workshops, but at present we don't have workshops planned
        >
        > Our FHC is physically too small to have some hands-on classes for the students to do practical exercises. I have encouraged the students to bring their laptops and I have brought both of mine to the only hands-on lesson that I have had thus far. Not everyone has a laptop, not everyone knows how to use a computer, not everyone is at the same level. That one lesson was a fiasco as I tried to teach them how to add themselves and their immediate family to a PAF program.
        >
        > I have explained with each lesson that until they actually do the assignments they will not learn. No one can learn family history via videos and lecture. They need hands-on in Family History more than almost any other class I have ever taught in the church.
        >
        > In classes that I have taught in my work-place, the students each had a laptop and the instructor used a laptop hooked to a projector and went step by step with the software program teaching input and navigation in the program.
        >
        > We simply don't have the facilities for doing something that way so I encourage the students to come into the FHC for private one-on-one time with me or I offer to go to the homes to help with the assignment - no takers.
        >
        > I send reminder emails to my students about completing the weekly assignments but few do the assignments. I give encouraging suggestions to help them complete the assignments. In my class of 13 I think about 4 or 5 do the assignments. I feel the way a bishop or a missionary must feel when asking the ward members or investigators to do more, to learn more, etc.
        >
        > I wanted to curtail the size of my class to the number of computers that we have so that we could work easier with the students, but word got out and anyone who wanted to show up was encouraged to do so by others, even though I gently asked them to keep the class smaller and have the excess come in the next go-around.
        >
        > So once again, I have vented to this list and I feel much better.
        >
        > I hope most of you have deleted this by the time you got here : 0 )

      • Allan Hale
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 7, 2012
          I may be able to find a link for you but cannot put it through this forum.

          Allan

        • Lynn Mower
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 7, 2012
            Terry wrote:
            Instead of going into all the information in the portals and the wiki, focus on the member documenting (providing proof) for each little piece of data of the first five generations of their family tree. Point out that that means all the descendants of each of those generations. If they will do that one task, then the other topics will become useful.

            Terry,

            I like what you say about documentation and also about researching all the descendants. I have been doing descendancy research for years. I have this addiction to identify all of the descendants of each of my ancestral couples.

            I have attached copies of charts that I use in doing descendancy research in a separate message to you since I can't send attachments through this group. I use the GenCharts for PAF program (available from www.parowansoftware.com http://www.parowansoftware.com/ for $7.00) to create the first three charts. The fourth chart (DFC) I create manually. Hopefully the programmer will include this chart in the above program in a future release (I have asked).

            I use the Family Date Chart (FDC) to see where I have holes in my data file that need patching. This is one of the most useful charts I know of for reviewing an entire family quickly. My definition of a family is the parents, all of their children, and all of those children's spouses. This chart displays the information I have in my data file on all of those family members in a concise manner.

            I use the Descendants Summary Chart (DSC) to display the information I have in my data file for any couple. It displays the status of my descendancy research.

            The Family Tree Chart shows the same information about descendants as the DSC but it also includes the initials of the couple's ancestors in pedigree format in the roots of the tree. These are nice for framing and at reunions.

            The five generation Descendant Family Chart (DFC) i'm sending shows my descent line down from one of my sixth generation ancestral couples to my parents. I chose to start the chart with sixth generation ancestors to avoid most of the living and those involving the 110 year rule. These charts are my roadmaps for descendancy research just like a pedigree chart is the roadmap for ancestral research. The ordinance status information I put in these charts comes from the Family Date Charts.

            In addition to being useful to me, these charts can be printed in PDF format and sent to my email cousins to get help with collective research.

            Lynn

          • Harry Munck
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 8, 2012
              My impression is that the course is a general introduction to genealogy.  Once individuals have completed the course the FHC should be contacting the members of the class to work with them on their individual situation.  The whole concept of the Family History Consultant is one on one concept.  I have not had any trouble with the course.  During the course we can point out the things that have changed.

              Harry