1860 Alabama census index (and all other states)

  • Dolly Ziegler
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 15, 2002
      Hello to FHCNET. All the state censuses have been indexed for 1860,
      and if I recall correctly, almost all of 1870 had been completed by
      2000. Please allow me to emphasize a couple of points:

      No indexes are perfect. I've seen an estimated error rate of 15% for
      the AIS indexes. If you think someone _should_ be in a particular
      county in a given year -- consider reading the *entire* county while
      muttering the sought-after surname to yourself. You don't need to
      "read" every surname, just see if it could be "your" name!

      Here's a very good reason to look up the state in the FHL Catalog
      (recently revised!) at www.familysearch.org. I typed in "Alabama" and
      then looked at the subjects. There's an 1860 census index and *also*
      listings to the 1855 and 1866 censuses.

      Yep, state censuses. I recommend Ann Lainhart's excellent little book,
      _State census records_; Baltimore, Genealogical Publishing Co., 1992.

      A reminder: Your FHC should have form #31768, Request for Photocopy.
      The price increased recently, but I think it's $2 -- can someone on
      the list spell this out? You can ask for a photocopy from the 1860
      Alabama census index, and receive it by mail.

      Hope this is helpful. Cheers, Dolly in Baltimore Maryland USA