RE: [FHCNET] Seeking a definition of "unauthorised extraction program"

  • Rebecca Read
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 6, 2012
      Many thanks, Sister Jones, for alerting me to the Church News article and for all the additional material you have quoted. It leaves no doubt in my mind as to what our leaders mean. I am going to use this material in my next staff training meeting, in the Temple and Family History Work course that I conduct, and I will pass a copy to our high council advisor. There are a few people in my part of the world who need to have the policy spelled out to them.

      Thanks also to the others who have responded. Your insights are all very helpful.

      Regards,
      Rebecca Read.

    • Leslie Vaughn
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 6, 2012
        Thanks so much Shanna for all the information you have shared today. It is
        very clear and specific and there should be no doubt in anyone's mind who we
        should be researching and submitting for temple work.

        The definition of who we can research is broad in that we can research the
        descendants of our ancestor. If we can make a legitimate connection to an
        ancestor it is okay to be doing distant cousin research. With that broad
        definition there should be no need for someone to be extracting whole films
        or communities for temple work. We have enough of our own family to do.

        I'll just add a personal note on the very BROAD definition of a celebrity.

        Back in the early to mid-1990s my 1st cousin 3rd removed and her husband and
        one of her children had their ordinances completed. I don't know who
        submitted them but I found those ordinance dates several years later. I was
        doing more research on her and her children. I found another child and
        submitted that name to the IGI for temple ordinances. The children were
        born in 1893 and 1897 respectively. The ordinances for the one child that I
        did were done in 2004 and 2005.

        Later when I was linking my data base to newfamilysearch I came to this
        family and the ordinance information was there for the parents and the two
        children. But later, the ordinance information was gone. There was nothing
        in the space for the ordinance information. Now it says the ordinance
        information is not available.

        I contacted the help desk and was told that the ordinance information for
        celebrities is not shown on newfamilysearch. It didn't matter that I was
        the contributor on one of the four people in this family.

        I didn't even know that the wife and the two children were celebrities. The
        husband/father is one of the Ringlings of circus fame. He died in 1926, his
        wife in 1953 and his son in 1950.

        It was a surprise to me that the definition of celebrity goes back that far
        and it extends to the immediate family of the famous person.

        I wonder if I'd be able to submit this in this day and age even when this
        family is related to me. Not that I expect to see any other celebrity in my
        family tree.

        Leslie