Re: Clarification please from Terry Mason

  • tmason1
    Message 1 of 30 , Feb 24, 2012
      On Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:34 am (PST) Lana Archibald said "I usually like what Terry Mason has to say on this group list, but I was puzzled by some of the barbed comments he had to make in reply to Sue's comment. Maybe he didn't mean them the way it sounded in print."

      With due respect Lana, I think you jumped to a conclusion without understanding "the process" when you stated I made "barbed comments".

      As a FamilySearch Support missionary, we were taught a standard of being "Friendly", "Accurate", and "Timely". Part of being "Accurate" involves using a process of "Ask", "Find" and "Teach".

      Asking involves using "clarifying" questions which is what I was doing. As a trained professional counselor, I have found the best clarifying method is to paraphrase back what you have heard the other person say and then request they confirm that you comprehend the meaning of their statement. Example: "Did you mean "this" or did you mean "that" ...?"

      Sue had made a number of strong statements and I am grateful that you, Lana and that Sue, Marian and Maureen responded to the clarifying questions that I asked.

      Each have strong feelings and I just encouraged their expression.

      On Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:26 am (PST), It seems HOWEVER, that Miles Meyers doesn't like to hear those expressions. He implies that FS developers have been listening to our concerns and complaints.

      I personally question the accuracy of this opinion. I can give you about a dozen examples where problems have been voiced in the past five years and passed on to the "engineers/programmers" and it would appear that the expressions for the most part are ignored. I've worked with professional teams in industry and I assure you for the most part the nFS design team doesn't collaborate with the end user closely enough. But I digress.

      Miles also said "Don't worry about all the other info" and "I understand the concerns that have been voiced here, but continuing to complain about it here isn't doing any good" and "provide the feedback in a constructive way".

      "Don't worry" trivializes the expressions of the feelings that have been voiced.

      "Continuing to complain" is an expression meaning shame on you for complaining. Have you considered that the feedback process in place doesn't work and that expressions that have been voiced in a constructive way seem to have been ignored and we have several of our directors, staff and trainers who have given up trying to be heard?

      So, I don't think using the tactics of label words like "MyTreeitus" or saying "I understand" when you don't, or shaming or trivializing really set a "Friendly" tone in which those who take a risk to voice their feelings will continue to be honest in their emotional expressions about why they are skeptical and why they are unable to use new.FamilySearch for anything more than a replacement for TempleReady.

      On Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:50 am (PST) Bill Buchanan said "I agree with you, Miles. Complaining here accomplishes nothing, but providing feedback with good easy-to-follow examples can help the engineers to fix the problems."

      Yes, Elder Buchanan, the Feedback process in the Family Tree does enable going to the getsatisfaction queue, but that new queue feels instantly overwhelming and disorganized.

      The real problem with that whole feedback process is that the engineers could be seriously tied up in responding to "problems" that are nothing more than trivial whining or people not following instructions. This is why FSSS missionaries need to really drill down to the root of the problems in a remote session with the patron and then when necessary the missionary needs the ability to pass on cases for the attention of staff members or engineers and stay involves so they learn too. The FSSS missionaries are isolated from discussing complex issues with the engineers. The reason why so many patrons like Sue finally give up is because the missionaries are used as a place for the patron's to "vent" their frustrations, but ultimately all are isolated from the designers and programmers who are good at writing programs but who are also inexperienced family history researchers.

      Terry Mason
      Clermont, FL
      Message 2 of 30 , Feb 25, 2012
        I have just returned from a weekend of Wood Badge training and was looking
        at my e-mails when I ran across the comments below. I apologize if anyone
        took my e-mail to be trivializing to their concerns or shaming individuals
        for their comments. Anyone who has been following my posts over the years
        knows that I always try to be helpful and willing to hear other points of
        view.

        I feel that taking my words out of context and applying unintended meaning
        to them is an attempt to reduce my comments to the trivial level that we
        currently see in political dialogue today. This is unproductive and
        discourages productive discourse.

        I used the term "MyTreeitus" specifically relating to a talk that was done
        by representatives from Family Search at the recent Roots Tech conference.
        If you would like to see how that term was used please review the
        presentations at rootstech.org. This term was not invented by me.

        Unlike Brother Mason, I do believe that the developers are listening to the
        users. They have shown this time and time again by making changes to the
        program. This can be seen in the many iterations of Family Search Labs, nFS
        and now the Family Tree. My comments were only meant to inform users that
        they should provide constructive feedback to the developers so that the
        developers can work to make the improvements.

        My comment about "Don't worry about all the other info" is directly related
        to what will be carried over from nFS to Family Tree. The important info in
        nFS is that which is showing in the Summary view. If we are trying to make
        sure the "correct" info is in the summary view then that info will be what
        is showing up in Family Tree. We don't need to worry if someone has
        multiple dates for their birth right now if the right info is in the
        summary view. This was not attempting to "trivialize" others concerns. It
        was merely meant to give people comfort that there will be a way to get rid
        of some of this "bad" data.

        Again, if any of you felt that I intended to slight you, please take this
        as my apology. That was not my intent. However, I do not appreciate my
        words being taken out of context, cut into sound bites, and then given
        alternate meanings as a defense for comments made by other individuals.

        Let us all continue to work together to improve the products we have,
        provide the needed feedback, and learn from one another as we work on the
        Lord's work of redeeming our dead.

        Miles Meyer
        Jacksonville, FL

        On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 2:26 PM, tmason1 <tmason1@...> wrote:

> [...]
        >
        > The real problem with that whole feedback process is that the engineers
        > could be seriously tied up in responding to "problems" that are nothing
        > more than trivial whining or people not following instructions. This is why
        > FSSS missionaries need to really drill down to the root of the problems in
        > a remote session with the patron and then when necessary the missionary
        > needs the ability to pass on cases for the attention of staff members or
        > engineers and stay involves so they learn too. The FSSS missionaries are
        > isolated from discussing complex issues with the engineers. The reason why
        > so many patrons like Sue finally give up is because the missionaries are
        > used as a place for the patron's to "vent" their frustrations, but
        > ultimately all are isolated from the designers and programmers who are good
        > at writing programs but who are also inexperienced family history

      • Thelmer Smith
        Message 3 of 30 , Feb 25, 2012
          Back to Gilwell, Happy Land!

          Thelmer Smith

> [...]

          > The real problem with that whole feedback process is that the engineers
          > could be seriously tied up in responding to "problems" that are nothing
          > more than trivial whining or people not following instructions. This is why
          > FSSS missionaries need to really drill down to the root of the problems in
          > a remote session with the patron and then when necessary the missionary
          > needs the ability to pass on cases for the attention of staff members or
          > engineers and stay involves so they learn too. The FSSS missionaries are
          > isolated from discussing complex issues with the engineers. The reason why
          > so many patrons like Sue finally give up is because the missionaries are
          > used as a place for the patron's to "vent" their frustrations, but
          > ultimately all are isolated from the designers and programmers who are good
          > at writing programs but who are also inexperienced family history

        • tmason1
          Message 4 of 30 , Feb 25, 2012
            In most human interactions there is more than one way to interpret something.

            On Feb 19, I had chosen to title my original subject header as "Clarification please" and then opened by indicating I wanted to do "reflectively listening". The intent was to clarify exactly what was being expressed by Sue and to draw out the expressions and motives of others. These key words described a listening PROCESS which we should be using in our FH Centers as we help our patrons define their problem(s) before we start "helping" them. The PROCESS is taught to us in the FHC operation's manual and to the FSSS missionaries for them to use in the helping process with those who contact them.

            My defense of that LISTENING PROCESS caused me to take Miles response on Wed Feb 22 to task. I know Miles personally and have the deepest respect for his knowledge, his energy and deep commitment to service. I was focused on dialogues that sometimes innocently shut down expression of feelings. We should be listening better to clarify what we are hearing before taking a course of action. I am grateful that instead of Miles choosing to take offense, he has chosen to apologize like the gentle man that he is.

            I hope that he won't continue to think that I took his words as sound bites out of context. The clarifying PROCESS takes more time and usually two or three exchanges. It often saves us time if we know what the problem really is before we proceed to provide our response.

            That is the point I'm trying to make. There is usually no "dialogue" when we provide "feedback" to the nFS developers. The comments seem to fall into a void.

            If you will reread my last post, note some suggestions of ways that I think the dialogue with the engineers and developers could be more productive. I think if a person goes to a great deal of effort to provide them with well done suggestions and we define the problems well, that those efforts deserve more than a generalized statement saying "Thank you for your suggestion." I think there are better types of responses that the department could use in responding to beta testers and frustrated patrons and I have told them so.

            In a couple of days when I have some time, I will respond just one of the original issues I raised in my questions to Sue. I too, most of the time only use new.FamilySearch.org to submit names for ordinances because I've become very discouraged trying to sort out impossible munged and hijacked records. I look forward to the release of the Family Tree template sometime this year and hope that we can successfully work with the larger genealogical community.

            One item worth mentioning has been overlooked. We have been told by Ron Tanner that not only will the Ancestral File and Pedigree Resource Files data be removed from the FT database but that users will also be able to hide the incorrect relationships that are displayed because they are stored in the temple ordinance records. I think that will solve one of Sue's big concerns.

            Since we are going to have to live with the design of the Family Tree program, if we go in as beta testers, and feel some concerns, in addition to providing feedback in the getsatisfaction queue, I think it appropiate to express some concerns here to a group that I think are more "educated" users.

            The users of Magento are pointing out the problems with that software program now that it is in full production. I had the privilege of being a beta tester of that program before it was release in Canada and the U.S. and sorrowfully now I feel to say, "I told you that that would create a problem."

            As a group, we are being given a year to learn how to use the Family Tree program, which in a year start teaching to others. If there are some things that you find now, that you think will create problems later, now is the time to try and avert those design mistakes. I agree with the appeal from Miles and Elder Buchanan that this group should be vocal and provide feedback about the new data entry program named "FS Family Tree."

            Better to voice your concerns to the support missionaries now - but don't let them send you the canned reply of "Thank you for your suggestion." If there is a glaring design problem, I think now is the time for a lot of "educated" FH center staff to make a lot of noise about it.

            And if you need a group to listen, really listen, as you ponder an issue, I hope you will find a useful response here instead of giving up.

            Terry Mason
            Clermont, FL

            --- In FHCNET@yahoogroups.com, Miles Meyer <milesmeyer@...> wrote:

            > I have just returned from a weekend of Wood Badge training and was looking
            > at my e-mails when I ran across the comments below. I apologize if anyone
            > took my e-mail to be trivializing to their concerns or shaming individuals
            > for their comments. Anyone who has been following my posts over the years
            > knows that I always try to be helpful and willing to hear other points of
            > view.
            >
            > I feel that taking my words out of context and applying unintended meaning
            > to them is an attempt to reduce my comments to the trivial level that we
            > currently see in political dialogue today. This is unproductive and
            > discourages productive discourse.
            >
            > I used the term "MyTreeitus" specifically relating to a talk that was done
            > by representatives from Family Search at the recent Roots Tech conference.
            > If you would like to see how that term was used please review the
            > presentations at rootstech.org. This term was not invented by me.
            >
            > Unlike Brother Mason, I do believe that the developers are listening to the
            > users. They have shown this time and time again by making changes to the
            > program. This can be seen in the many iterations of Family Search Labs, nFS
            > and now the Family Tree. My comments were only meant to inform users that
            > they should provide constructive feedback to the developers so that the
            > developers can work to make the improvements.
            >
            > My comment about "Don't worry about all the other info" is directly related
            > to what will be carried over from nFS to Family Tree. The important info in
            > nFS is that which is showing in the Summary view. If we are trying to make
            > sure the "correct" info is in the summary view then that info will be what
            > is showing up in Family Tree. We don't need to worry if someone has
            > multiple dates for their birth right now if the right info is in the
            > summary view. This was not attempting to "trivialize" others concerns. It
            > was merely meant to give people comfort that there will be a way to get rid
            > of some of this "bad" data.
            >
            > Again, if any of you felt that I intended to slight you, please take this
            > as my apology. That was not my intent. However, I do not appreciate my
            > words being taken out of context, cut into sound bites, and then given
            > alternate meanings as a defense for comments made by other individuals.
            >
            > Let us all continue to work together to improve the products we have,
            > provide the needed feedback, and learn from one another as we work on the
            > Lord's work of redeeming our dead.
            >
            > Miles Meyer
            > Jacksonville, FL
          • Virginia M. Cazier
            Message 5 of 30 , Feb 26, 2012
              Miles, I've never seen anything in your posts as offensive. Quite to the
              contrary. VCazier, So. FL

              <mailto:tmason1%40yahoo.com> > wrote:

> [...]
              > could be seriously tied up in responding to "problems" that are nothing
              > more than trivial whining or people not following instructions. This is
              why
              > FSSS missionaries need to really drill down to the root of the problems in
              > a remote session with the patron and then when necessary the missionary
              > needs the ability to pass on cases for the attention of staff members or
              > engineers and stay involves so they learn too. The FSSS missionaries are
              > isolated from discussing complex issues with the engineers. The reason why
              > so many patrons like Sue finally give up is because the missionaries are
              > used as a place for the patron's to "vent" their frustrations, but
              > ultimately all are isolated from the designers and programmers who are
              good
              > at writing programs but who are also inexperienced family history

              14:47:00

            • Robert Givens
              Message 6 of 30 , Feb 26, 2012
                On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 2:26 PM, tmason1
                <tmason1@yahoo.**com<tmason1%40yahoo.com>>
                wrote:

                > On Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:26 am (PST), It seems HOWEVER, that Miles Meyers
                > doesn't like to hear those expressions. He implies that FS developers have
                > been listening to our concerns and complaints.
                >
                > I personally question the accuracy of this opinion. I can give you about a
                > dozen examples where problems have been voiced in the past five years and
                > passed on to the "engineers/programm**ers" and it would appear that the
                > expressions for the most part are ignored. I've worked with professional
                > teams in industry and I assure you for the most part the nFS design team
                > doesn't collaborate with the end user closely enough.

                I have been reading this exchange for the past few days, and am about ready
                to just remove myself from the group, as all this bickering back and forth
                is getting to me. I am just going to put my two cents in with regards to
                the above and then close my mouth.
                The engineers and programmers of nFS and FT do a wonderful job. In the
                past they have probably not been as responsive to our wishes as we would
                have liked. But I know for a fact that every request for improvements have
                been logged in and categorized. They have priorities for what they change
                and their priority may be different than yours so you feel like you are not
                listened to. I know I have felt that way too.
                The staff working on FT don't want you sending in your problems and
                suggestions to the regular feedback missionaries. (I am not knocking the
                wonderful missionaries that serve from home and in the JSMB - I was one for
                30 months.) The engineers want you to go to "Share Your Ideas" under feed
                back in FT - that takes you to the Getsatisfaction.com web page.
                If you have ever felt you were not listened to you will not feel that way
                here. Every suggestion I have put in here has been replied to by employees
                (especially Ron Tanner himself.) I have never seen the engineers more
                engaged in listening to our suggestions and trying to make this new product
                reflect what we want.
                All I am going to say is stop all the kicking of this thing back and forth
                and just go to getsatisfaction through the help center - not by typing
                getsatisfaction.com and you will be relieved to see the interaction between
                users and programers in action.

              • Gary Templeman
                Message 7 of 30 , Feb 26, 2012
                  A question regarding making the summary information correct. If I go through and correct it, what is there to prevent someone else from uncorrecting it before it gets transferred? Until there is some arbitrator who can evaluate the disputes and lock the file there will always be the same issue of people with differing opinions butting heads over certain records.

                  Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S™ II Skyrocket™, an AT&T 4G LTrecordsphone.

> [...]

                  > The real problem with that whole feedback process is that the engineers
                  > could be seriously tied up in responding to "problems" that are nothing
                  > more than trivial whining or people not following instructions. This is why
                  > FSSS missionaries need to really drill down to the root of the problems in
                  > a remote session with the patron and then when necessary the missionary
                  > needs the ability to pass on cases for the attention of staff members or
                  > engineers and stay involves so they learn too. The FSSS missionaries are
                  > isolated from discussing complex issues with the engineers. The reason why
                  > so many patrons like Sue finally give up is because the missionaries are
                  > used as a place for the patron's to "vent" their frustrations, but
                  > ultimately all are isolated from the designers and programmers who are good
                  > at writing programs but who are also inexperienced family history

                • L. L. Scott
                  Message 8 of 30 , Feb 26, 2012
                    I think some people just want to see their name on the summary page.
                    I just changed one that someone had added to the summary page, it was like
                    death WFT 1810-1880.
                    There were good dates available but....

                    Message 9 of 30 , Feb 26, 2012
                      Since the Family Tree will bea 'wiki of sorts, they know there are going to be 'edit wars'.  Ron Tanner told the Utah Valley Technology and Genealogy Group leadership (I'm part of that as one who often provides them with some updates), and he said there will be a mechanism in place to arbitrate disputed data so as to avoid what we've seen in the past, including in the present nFS.

                      The Family Tree, come to think of it, is going to be a much-improved version of both nFS and Ancestral File, although the Ancestral File and its submissions will be elsewhere on FamilySearch.  In the days of Ancestral File there were 'edit wars', as it was a 'wiki' before any of us had heard the word used that way.  Some would change data, others who saw it differently would then send a diskette in resetting the change, and so it went.

                      ________________________________

                    • RSchell1223@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 30 , Feb 27, 2012
                        I peruse these posts daily to gain new information that I can share with my
                        consultants and have only responded here on a couple of occasions.
                        However I would like to also share my concerns about all of the bickering here.
                        We're all engaged in this work, with the same goal - to further family
                        history research. There are definitely glitches in the software but these
                        issues can be addressed in a positive manner. May we strive to follow the
                        Spirit as we're engaged in this important work.

                        Ron Schell
                        Turlock, CA

                      • jodyriddick
                        Message 11 of 30 , Feb 28, 2012
                          I seldom write a message, but felt compelled to clear up some
                          misconceptions. I worked for two years as a missionary in Research and
                          Historical records, at World Wide Support. I received questions and
                          input regarding FamilySearch. Most often I created cases with the
                          engineers, and always got a response. I also worked directly with the
                          engineers to give them input from the public.

                          The leadership is listening.

                          You are heard, most often acknowledged, maybe not what you want to hear
                          at the time. Your priorities might not be at the top of the list.
                          Patience and feedback are necessary. Don't stop.

                          Jody Riddick

                          Sarasota Florida
                          Message 12 of 30 , Feb 28, 2012
                            Also, they love to hear from us, and they do want to know what we want, and they prioritize things based on the feedback they hear from us.  So if more people are having the same issue, or have similar ideas, they will often move that closer to the top of the work queue.

                            In my case with the print issue with FamilySearch Wiki, it's a matter of trying to find out what the problem really is so they can find a fix and if needed find a workaround until it can be.  Got an email back overnight where someone was not having problems with their particular setup, that is also good to know as that may indicate that the problem only shows up on certain printers or certain operating systems or browsers.  It may only appear with certain combinations of those and not others.

                            Message 13 of 30 , Feb 28, 2012
                              I have always had the greatest experiences with Support. They have helped me with my nFS issues and FHC issues.

                              However, some things Support and the Engineers can't fix.

                              I have yet to get responses from people that change data in nFS and won't give me documentation, or correspond with me at all. I just can't understand it. How hard is it to answer an email?

                              I would call them, but they don't list a phone number for contact, just an email. And of course, no mailing address.

                              As for me, I have my address, phone number, and email. I want people to contact me. I want to see documentation. I want to share documentation.

                              Joan in NC