RE: [FHCNET] Roles

  • Joan Raney
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 10, 2012
      We have a small FHC here in Charlotte. We have 6 computers, 7 staff
      (including the director and assistant director). We had to close one of
      our morning shifts down because we don't have anyone to staff it at the
      moment.

      We have three rooms--the outer room is used on Sunday for meetings and
      Sunday School classes so we can't be open as an FHC on Sundays. The
      other two rooms are our microfilm reading room and our computer room.

      Joan in NC
    • Emil O. Hanson
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 10, 2012
        Sally,
        The Ogden Family History Center has been identified as the largest
        center. We have over 300 staff (Volunteers and missionaries). There are
        five associate directors and each of them have specific assignments for
        example one is ass dir over computing services, one over training and
        education, each center would have to decide how they would make those
        assignments based on their needs and work load. We are housed in two
        buildings with an area of 21,000 sq. ft. We have 140 computers and are
        currently gearing up to become a church digitizing center. There are 15
        5hour shifts per week and each has a prayer and training meeting for 1/2
        hour before the shift begins. We publish a monthly newsletter which
        includes a class schedule, the letter goes out to over 2,100 local
        subscribers. There is a Director's meeting every Wednesday morning where we
        discuss our activities and needs etc.
        If you would like more information feel free to email me. Sincerely, Emil
        O. Hanson, Dir.

        --
        Emil O. Hanson

      • Sally
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 10, 2012
          Hi Emil.. boy that is a huge centre! Almost like going into the Family History Library :). I would love to get one of your newsletters. We have one as well and I try and get it out quarterly. How long are each of your shifts? Do you have monthly staff meetings or just the 1/2 hour prior to shifts?

          Sally

          --- In FHCNET@yahoogroups.com, "Emil O. Hanson" <emilhanson@...> wrote:

          > Sally,
          > The Ogden Family History Center has been identified as the largest
          > center. We have over 300 staff (Volunteers and missionaries). There are
          > five associate directors and each of them have specific assignments for
          > example one is ass dir over computing services, one over training and
          > education, each center would have to decide how they would make those
          > assignments based on their needs and work load. We are housed in two
          > buildings with an area of 21,000 sq. ft. We have 140 computers and are
          > currently gearing up to become a church digitizing center. There are 15
          > 5hour shifts per week and each has a prayer and training meeting for 1/2
          > hour before the shift begins. We publish a monthly newsletter which
          > includes a class schedule, the letter goes out to over 2,100 local
          > subscribers. There is a Director's meeting every Wednesday morning where we
          > discuss our activities and needs etc.
          > If you would like more information feel free to email me. Sincerely, Emil
          > O. Hanson, Dir.
          >
          > On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 5:33 PM, Sally <smilesonly@...> wrote:
          >
          > > **
          > >

          > > Hello Everyone
          > >
          > > I have 2 questions for you smart people :) :
          > >
          > > 1. For those of you that have Assistant Directors, how big is your centre,
          > > how much staff do you have and is that an assignment for them or was this
          > > an actual calling?
          > >
          > > 2. For those who have Executives, what roles do they have; do they have
          > > "titles"; who decides what responsibilities do they have?
          > >
          > > I know we have a PHOTO link on the side but there was only one picture in
          > > there. I think it would be really great if people could put pics in there
          > > of their centres, how they are laid/set up, different display areas etc. As
          > > well for those that have Open Houses, seminars etc perhaps having pictures
          > > there for others to get ideas would be wonderful. I have lots from our
          > > seminars etc and would be willing to post ours there to trade :)
          > >
          > > Sally from way up North! :)
          > >

          > --
          > Emil O. Hanson

        • Sally
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 18, 2012
            Hi Emil I just realized I did not include my email address so please send your newsletter and any other info that you would wish to share to Sally at findingyourroots.ca. Thanks :)

            --- In FHCNET@yahoogroups.com, "Emil O. Hanson" <emilhanson@...> wrote:

            > Sally,
            > The Ogden Family History Center has been identified as the largest
            > center. We have over 300 staff (Volunteers and missionaries). There are
            > five associate directors and each of them have specific assignments for
            > example one is ass dir over computing services, one over training and
            > education, each center would have to decide how they would make those
            > assignments based on their needs and work load. We are housed in two
            > buildings with an area of 21,000 sq. ft. We have 140 computers and are
            > currently gearing up to become a church digitizing center. There are 15
            > 5hour shifts per week and each has a prayer and training meeting for 1/2
            > hour before the shift begins. We publish a monthly newsletter which
            > includes a class schedule, the letter goes out to over 2,100 local
            > subscribers. There is a Director's meeting every Wednesday morning where we
            > discuss our activities and needs etc.
            > If you would like more information feel free to email me. Sincerely, Emil
            > O. Hanson, Dir.
            >
            > On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 5:33 PM, Sally <smilesonly@...> wrote:
            >
            > > **
            > >

            > > Hello Everyone
            > >
            > > I have 2 questions for you smart people :) :
            > >
            > > 1. For those of you that have Assistant Directors, how big is your centre,
            > > how much staff do you have and is that an assignment for them or was this
            > > an actual calling?
            > >
            > > 2. For those who have Executives, what roles do they have; do they have
            > > "titles"; who decides what responsibilities do they have?
            > >
            > > I know we have a PHOTO link on the side but there was only one picture in
            > > there. I think it would be really great if people could put pics in there
            > > of their centres, how they are laid/set up, different display areas etc. As
            > > well for those that have Open Houses, seminars etc perhaps having pictures
            > > there for others to get ideas would be wonderful. I have lots from our
            > > seminars etc and would be willing to post ours there to trade :)
            > >
            > > Sally from way up North! :)
            > >

            > --
            > Emil O. Hanson

          • Emil O. Hanson
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 18, 2012
              Sally,
              No! We don't have monthly administrative staff meeting we can get
              everything done in the two hour weekly meetings. Each of the fifteen shifts
              are about five hours long, Morning shift starts at 8:30 AM, second shift
              starts at 12:30 PM and the three evening shifts start at 5PM and go until
              9PM. We do not have monthly staff training meetings either. Each member of
              our staff is assigned a mentor when they first come on and the mentor is a
              trained staff member who will help them until they feel comfortable. A
              number of classes are recommended for new staff and they may take them
              while on their shift. The training in the (1/2 hour) staff meeting is only
              15 -20 minutes as we have a song, a prayer and a spiritual thought first.
              We have built a large list of staff training lessons that last about
              fifteen minutes and the staff members are asked to practice what they learn
              during their shift. I hope this information is helpful. I have put your
              email on our list to receive the newsletter. Good Luck! Emil

              Emil O. Hanson

            • tmason1
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 19, 2012
                I'd like to review something that might be obvious to some.

                Extracting and paraphrasing, Emil Hanson said that "Each is assigned a mentor when they first come on staff and the mentor is a trained staff member who will help them ... . We have built a list of lessons ... and the new staff members are asked to practice what they learn."

                Teaching objectives describe what the teacher does when teaching.
                Learning objectives describe what the learner does to learn.

                When a person is called to be a FHC staff member they need to (1) observe what the experienced staff member does to cope with a task and (2) they need to do it themselves over and over until they understand when and how to do that task.

                So having a mentor (experienced staff member) and then practicing are the key to staff learning.

                When staff "help" a patron - do they do the task for the patron, or do they sit at the patron's side and "help" the patron reason out the problem for themselves? Do they say "there is a place on the computer screen where you can click to get the result you want" or do they just point at something and say "click here"? Understanding learning is subtle but the key to successful teaching.

                The objective of teaching is that the learner will become self-disciplined or capable of doing it themselves.

                We may spend a great deal of time entertaining in front of classes but the real learning occurs when the "helper" uses good key clarifying questions to get the patron to describe their problem more accurately and the helper helps them drive their computer and discover their own solution with us the "helper" providing minimal suggestions.

                There is a ppt presentation used for training in the Family History library which illustrates how we waste time and effort because we don't understand the answer to "What were you hoping to learn or find today?" It teaches how asking key questions will provide better understand. Asking open-ended questions will reveal more details about the nature of the problem and involve the learner in the solution.

                Our focus is about serving. There will always be more to learn about our library's research aids but fundamental to our serving is to know the process of how people learn well enough so that we guide new staff understand how to support someone who walks through the doorway of a FH center.

                Ask yourself, are your staff meetings and classes designed with "learning" or "teaching" objectives?

                Terry Mason
                Clermont, FL