Re: Canadian Place Names

  • roseingram2001
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2002
      Dana,

      If you cite Canadian place names from heavily populated areas such as
      Ontario, Quebec, Nova Scotia or even New Brunswick, the County should
      be included, as you show in your example, or as "Unclefred" noted.

      I live in Kamloops, British Columbia, Canada.
      Here is something to note. If you use XXX,YYY, Ontario - please be
      sure add Canada. There are entries on the IGI citing only Ontario
      and they got 'processed' as being in Ontario, California. This opens
      another can of worms.

      As far as abbreviations go for Provinces or States, (or other
      countries), I prefer spelling it out in full. Many many people do no
      know what the short form represents.

      Rose Ingram
      Kamloops B.C.

      "Dana A. Repouille" wrote:
      > Is there a "correct" format for Canadian place names? I have a
      difficult time finding the county (or whatever they call them) for a
      given place. For
      > example: White Rock, BC; Saskatoon, SK.
      >
      > I prefer to use the four-name standard in my PAF database.
      > For example, Doaktown, Northumberland, New Brunswick, Canada
      >
      > Is there a good gazetteer to look up counties?
      > Dana
    • Faye French
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 2002
        In British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan & Manitoba the counties are not
        generally used as places for identification of an area. I believe they are
        municipal districts. In Alberta most of the counties are called "County of
        ----". Just use -Town, Province, Country - and no abbreviations. Listing the
        same name twice, to fill up the four name standard, is confusing. I don't
        know of a gazetteer that lists the county names.
        Faye French
        Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada