RE: [FHCNET] nFS

  • Joan Raney
    Message 1 of 49 , Feb 14, 2011
      Many, many thanks to all that wrote in about my dilemma.

      I agree that you can't go in and make corrections to your family tree
      and expect it to stay correct. There are others out there that think
      your corrections are mistakes, as well as you think that their
      corrections are mistakes.

      I agree with those that say you should have your own genealogy program
      to store your correct data. This very example shows why you should have
      one. If I didn't have one with my own data, I would not have been able
      to find the sources to correct my data, as well as figure out what
      should be corrected.

      I will attempt to contact those connected with my tree and see if I can
      get a resolution.

      However, previous communications with others in nFS have not resolved
      other nFS issues so I must admit I am not as hopeful for this one. Over
      the years nFS has been in existence I have only been able to get in
      touch with one person about my family, and he didn't contact me again
      with the information I was seeking. Others don't have any way for me to
      get in touch with them, while the rest don't ever respond to my
      inquiries.

      However, I spoke to one of my consultants that has more experience with
      nFS than I do and he said that FH Support will help me fix it if I can't
      get in touch with the submitters. He will show me what to do if that is
      the case.

      Joan in NC
    • Paul Walworth
      Message 49 of 49 , Feb 14, 2011
        I find getting use to the KD's and how and where to find them in time to be of
        service to a active call. It is much nicer to be able to look as things come to
        you either by searching or skyping your team and getting added help to be of
        service to the partons and helping them in having a good experience help with
        this work.

        --- In FHCNET@yahoogroups.com, Paul Walworth <pdgjw1936@...> wrote:
        > I agree I am working as a CSM and one of the people on my shift was telling me

        > she didn't think she needed a program either. That is until I told her about
        > all the uses they do have and the benefits they provide. So she is having
        >after
        >
        > thoughts about whether she needs a software program.

        I am most grateful to have been allowed to serve as a FSSM, (a FamilySearch
        Support Missionary) which Paul Walworth refers to as a CSM. One of the most
        important things which we learned was our answers should cite from and refer to
        information in the knowledge documents and that we should attach KDs (Knowledge
        Documents). When we follow this counsel, we then speak for the FH department.
        When missionaries do not refer to and quote KD information, their opinions are
        often misleading, incorrect and they are not following their training.

        The topic in this response would best be answered by citing KD:105366 "Using the
        new FamilySearch instead of personal genealogy software on your own computer."
        It explains some advantages to using nFS BUT then it spells out in some detail a
        list of disadvantages when member's use only nFS.

        Bottom line found in the Knowledge Document - members should use personal
        software programs such as PAF. That KD also links to a citation about the
        purpose of the new.FamilySearch program.

        Terry Mason
        Clermont, FL