ancestry.com: "institutional" or "library edition" ?

  • Dee Ziegler
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 10 10:37 AM
      Hooray for getting ancestry.com back at Family History Centers, but please
      help me clear up a confusion.

      We go to the Portal icon, then to subscriptions, then to ancestry.com.

      In the URL box it's shown as the "institutional" version; but lower down
      it's the "library edition."

      In past years, these were NOT the same.

      Are they now identical?

      If not, which do FHCs actually have?

      Anyone reading this at your FHC, do you have the same (seemingly
      conflicting) wordings?

      Yesterday I couldn't actually access the site -- probably just temporary
      because of heavy demand.

      Thanks! Dolly in Maryland

    • Paul Walworth
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 10 11:03 AM

        For myself I used my Genealogy Program and went that way and have had not one
        problem using the site. If it works this well all over we should get more
        patrons using the computers.  I know they have asked before, back then we had to
        sign in using a user name and a password plus it didn't have all the access it
        has now.  So now when we don't have any patrons or no need to help them I won't
        be bored as I have found quite a bit more information on this site that has more
        doc's as well as added information not availble on other websites in fact I
        found myself and where I use to live and about how long in each location over
        the last 10 years.  So if I forgot the address of those places I was able to add
        them to my records.  Now I didn't go in directly but relieve did and she feels
        like she doesn't have very many skills when it comes to using the computer.
        Hooray for getting ancestry.com back at Family History Centers, but please
        help me clear up a confusion.

        We go to the Portal icon, then to subscriptions, then to ancestry.com.

        In the URL box it's shown as the "institutional" version; but lower down
        it's the "library edition."

        In past years, these were NOT the same.

        Are they now identical?

        If not, which do FHCs actually have?

        Anyone reading this at your FHC, do you have the same (seemingly
        conflicting) wordings?

        Yesterday I couldn't actually access the site -- probably just temporary
        because of heavy demand.

        Thanks! Dolly in Maryland

        Paul In Texas

      • Margaret Wirtz
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 10 2:38 PM
          Dee,
          Back when we had Ancestry.com, and it was taken from the smaller Centers, it was replaced with "AncestryInstitution".

          We deleted it now we have "Ancestry.com" back, and it is an icon on desktop as "Full Ancestry.com".

          We are all real happy to have it back. Thank goodness, we have a fellow on staff that takes care of all the computer workings during his shift.

          Hope this helps,
          Margaret in Montana

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 13 11:20 AM
            Hello Dolly,

            The Ancestry.com access is the Library version. It is a test agreement
            between FamilySearch and Ancestry.com and it may at times be limited by the
            number of users allowed on. The test will go for a few months, be
            re-evaluated, and then there may be changes made. This information came
            from the RootsTech conference in Salt Lake City with Jay Verkler of
            FamilySearch and Tim Sullivan of Ancestry.com in attendance.

            Shanna Jones