LDS Websites

  • r_lightburn
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 1, 2010
      Can anyone please explain the purpose of the two LDS websites:
      FamilySearch Record Search at <http://pilot.familysearch.org/>
      and
      FamilySearch Beta at <http://fsbeta.familysearch.org/>
      They both give the user access to many, if not most, of the same databases.

      Thanks,
      Bob Lightburn
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 1, 2010
        The pilot site is where the FamilySearch Records database is being tested.
        This site will eventually be removed once it is fully integrated into
        the upgraded FamilySearch.org site which is what fsbeta is testing. fsbeta
        will eventually replace FamilySearch.org as the main portal for FamilySearch
        and Library services.

        Each of these sites currently serves its own purpose for the developers. If
        you notice, fsbeta links to family trees in addition to the records.
        Eventually the Family History Library catalog of films/fiche, books will be
        added along with the other functions you find on the original
        familysearch.org.

        Miles Meyer
        Jacksonville, FL

        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 1, 2010
          I've been meaning to ask -- is there _intended to be_ a difference
          between the pilot site and the search.labs site? I'm told that a
          certain document is on the pilot site, but I don't see it on the
          search.labs end with which I am more at home.

          Cheryl

          Miles Meyer wrote:
          > The pilot site is where the FamilySearch Records database is being tested.
          > This site will eventually be removed once it is fully integrated into
          > the upgraded FamilySearch.org site which is what fsbeta is testing. fsbeta
          > will eventually replace FamilySearch.org as the main portal for FamilySearch
          > and Library services.
          >
          > Each of these sites currently serves its own purpose for the developers. If
          > you notice, fsbeta links to family trees in addition to the records.
          > Eventually the Family History Library catalog of films/fiche, books will be
          > added along with the other functions you find on the original
          > familysearch.org.
          >
          > Miles Meyer
          > Jacksonville, FL
          >

          > On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 8:09 AM, r_lightburn<rlight@...> wrote:
          >

          >> Can anyone please explain the purpose of the two LDS websites:
          >> FamilySearch Record Search at<http://pilot.familysearch.org/>
          >> and
          >> FamilySearch Beta at<http://fsbeta.familysearch.org/>
          >> They both give the user access to many, if not most, of the same databases.
          >>
          >> Thanks,
          >> Bob Lightburn

        • Bill Buchanan
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 1, 2010
            Bob,

            http://fsbeta.familysearch.org/ searches the "old" FamilySearch databases:
            AF, PRF, IGI, 1880/1881 census, (and probably the SSDI, and Vital Records
            Indexes for Mexico & Scandinavia).

            http://pilot.familysearch.org/ searches the "new" databases now in Record
            Search.
            So they are basically different sets of records.
            --
            Bill Buchanan

            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 1, 2010
              I have noticed that fsbeta also searches "many" of the same records as in
              pilot along with those that Bill listed below. I have run the same search
              term in both and come up with many of the same records and some different
              records as results. The fsbeta site is closer to what we will expect to see
              when the new version of familysearch.org is finally published. Take a look
              at familysearch labs alpha site for familysearch.org and you will see that
              they are very similar.

              Miles Meyer
              Jacksonville, FL

              On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 12:28 PM, Bill Buchanan <
              genealogistbuchanan@...> wrote:

              > Bob,
              >
              > http://fsbeta.familysearch.org/ searches the "old" FamilySearch databases:
              > AF, PRF, IGI, 1880/1881 census, (and probably the SSDI, and Vital Records
              > Indexes for Mexico & Scandinavia).
              >
              > http://pilot.familysearch.org/ searches the "new" databases now in Record
              > Search.
              > So they are basically different sets of records.
              > --
              > Bill Buchanan

            • Paul Walworth

                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 1, 2010
                  After a lengthy visit to the FamilySearch (FS) booths during the NGS Conference, here's my understanding:

                  I assume it's common knowledge that FS is working on setting up a new FamilySearch.org website (not to be confused with New FamilySearch at new.familysearch.org...).

                  Record Search Pilot and Beta.FamilySearch.org are test sites with different features and different databases (with some overlap). So for now, each site should be searched independently. The best of both sites will be utilized when FamilySearch releases their new FamilySearch.org website.

                  One of the key differences right now is user registration and login -- Beta FS has it, Record Search doesn't. Some of the database owners with which FS is working require users to register and login, perhaps to see their images. I suspect FS will arrange to have all searches and indexes freely accessible to all users, but that some images may be restricted based on contracts with the database owners. (FS Indexing points may also play a role in this...)

                  Again, this is just my understanding, but to me the difference boils down to user registration/login.

                  --RayDean