Film Ordering

  • Rose Ingram
    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 6 8:33 AM
      I believe in Germany they have been able to order films over the internet for about 2 years using a special website set up for them.

      Rose Ingram

      Posted by: "carole13760" carolec@... carole13760
      Mon Apr 5, 2010 4:06 am (PDT)

      I work in a FHC. I got blindsided this AM when reading a mailing list where the main topic of discussion was about the new procedure for ordering microfilms from LDS over the Internet. This certainly was news to me.

      Can anyone enlighten me?

    • Alan Whitcomb
      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 6 9:22 AM
        In Germany, as in most of Europe, all FHCs send an Openoffice speaadsheet
        file which contains their orders.

        They have been doing this for more than two years now with very few bumps in
        the road. The progress of the FHCs there are on different timeline than in
        the U.S.

        I was actually saddened when more than a week ago, my familysearch indexing
        account was eliminated. Unlike most there.. I already had an
        lds.orgaccount, so now I spend time emailing people how to create
        their own ldsmail
        accounts.

        Just like the sandbox that was created at the Family History Library,
        training.familysearch.org is now available to everyone. Just remember to
        upload a gedcom file that you can play with. Sadly, the website is only in
        English (though some of us are pushing on this).

        Alan W.

        With family and my heart still in Pamplona, Spain

        On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 9:33 AM, Rose Ingram <roseingram@...> wrote:

        > I believe in Germany they have been able to order films over the internet
        > for about 2 years using a special website set up for them.
        >
        > Rose Ingram
        >
        > Posted by: "carole13760" carolec@... carole13760
        > Mon Apr 5, 2010 4:06 am (PDT)
        >
        > I work in a FHC. I got blindsided this AM when reading a mailing list where
        > the main topic of discussion was about the new procedure for ordering
        > microfilms from LDS over the Internet. This certainly was news to me.
        >
        > Can anyone enlighten me?

        > Groups Links

      • Jill Holmes
        Message 3 of 21 , Apr 7 5:27 AM
          When I tried to setup an account, it was limited to Utah when you chose
          United States as country.
          Jill in CA

          On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 7:13 AM, <carolec@...> wrote:

          > This new procedure has nothing to do with Inventory Manager so far as I can
          >
          > see. You order films from your home.
          >
          > One picture is worth a thousand words. I would expect this is a preview of
          > what is coming for all the US and not just for Utah.
          >
          > Go to the site and register:
          >
          > https://films.familysearch.org/
          >
          > Carole

        • ccaruso8011
          Message 4 of 21 , Jan 25, 2013
            A patron needs two films for a presentation he has to give in March. The problem is that these two films have now been digitized. Therefore, according to the Family History Library Catalog, these film numbers do not exist. So they cannot be ordered.

            However, the digitized versions have not yet made it to the online site.

            It took about an hour and a half on the phone with SLC to find out this much.

            Has anyone else encountered such a situation? If so, when do you think we might view them online? A week? A month? Two months?

            If it is going to be quite a while before they make it online, does anyone have a work around so our patron can view them?

            In the meantime, I will certainly be checking for them every few hours!

            Thanks.

            Carole
          • Lise Embley
            Message 5 of 21 , Feb 4, 2013
              Is it that the digitized versions aren't yet online, or that they aren't
              yet cataloged (providing a link through the FHL catalog)? What do the
              films contain? Have you tried checking the list of available collections
              under "All Record Collections <https://familysearch.org/collection/list>",
              versus what's in the FHLC? (I realize that you may have already done that,
              and that you may have been aware that there could be a difference between
              what is online and what the catalog says is online. If not, hope that
              helps!)

              Lise

              --
              Lise Embley
              757/645-9237 home
            • Lise Embley
              Message 6 of 21 , Feb 4, 2013
                You would look by geography, not film number, by the way. You can't
                actually see (that I've figured out, anyway) any connection between the
                Browse Images collection and the film number(s) they came from, until the
                FHL Catalog is updated.

                The way this has played out in my FHC is that a patron ordered in a couple
                of films of birth records (I think, can't remember for sure) from a state
                (Minnesota, maybe?), and after we had them in the center for viewing, I
                realized that they were available as a "Browse Images" collection online.
                It hadn't been cataloged, and so there was no way for anyone along the way
                (from film order to support) to see that films numbered whatever and
                whatever were actually part of the "Minnesota County Birth Records"
                collection (or whatever it was).

                FYI.

                --
                Lise Embley
                757/645-9237 home
              • Paul Walworth
                Message 7 of 21 , Feb 4, 2013
                  Carole,

                  Sorry but the best answer you will get if from support.  Yes it does happen and has happened.  This is the responsibility of research.  Did you also go directly into FHLC and not the one first one website listed during your search?  I presume you used both.

                  Best Regards
                  Paul

                  ________________________________

                  A patron needs two films for a presentation he has to give in March. The problem is that these two films have now been digitized. Therefore, according to the Family History Library Catalog, these film numbers do not exist. So they cannot be ordered.

                  However, the digitized versions have not yet made it to the online site.

                  It took about an hour and a half on the phone with SLC to find out this much.

                  Has anyone else encountered such a situation? If so, when do you think we might view them online? A week? A month? Two months?

                  If it is going to be quite a while before they make it online, does anyone have a work around so our patron can view them?

                  In the meantime, I will certainly be checking for them every few hours!

                  Thanks.

                  Carole

                • Nancy Tychonievich
                  Message 8 of 21 , Feb 5, 2013
                    What are the film numbers? I work with the film ordering team and can do
                    some checking for you.

                    --
                    Nancy

                  • roseingram2001
                    Message 9 of 21 , Feb 5, 2013
                      I have seen and worked from digitized records on line, after seeing the red notation that the films I wanted were digitized.

                      But knowing there were two children 'missing' in the family, I was able to order the films and find them , with misspelled names of course.

                      I did not see anything in the Library Catalog saying the films are not available because they are now digitized. They need to be available so we can get copies of the orginal records. Especially if they are from countries central or eastern Europe.

                      Rose Ingram

                      --- In FHCNET@yahoogroups.com, "ccaruso8011" wrote:

                      > A patron needs two films for a presentation he has to give in March. The problem is that these two films have now been digitized. Therefore, according to the Family History Library Catalog, these film numbers do not exist. So they cannot be ordered.
                      >
                      > However, the digitized versions have not yet made it to the online site.
                      >
                      > It took about an hour and a half on the phone with SLC to find out this much.
                      >
                      > Has anyone else encountered such a situation? If so, when do you think we might view them online? A week? A month? Two months?
                      >
                      > If it is going to be quite a while before they make it online, does anyone have a work around so our patron can view them?
                      >
                      > In the meantime, I will certainly be checking for them every few hours!
                      >
                      > Thanks.
                      >
                      > Carole

                    • Lise Embley
                      Message 10 of 21 , Feb 5, 2013
                        I think you've misunderstood the "not available" part. It doesn't make
                        sense to send out a traditional microfilm via US mail if you have the
                        digital image available online. So "not available" is actually more like
                        "not necessary." It isn't that the content of the film has been withdrawn
                        from circulation.

                        Lise

                        --
                        Lise Embley
                        757/645-9237 home
                      • Paul Walworth
                        Message 11 of 21 , Feb 5, 2013
                          I have used the digital copies many times.  The books can be downloaded completely to a PDF file.  As for other types some require a complete search.  But once found the complete page can also be down loaded.  So I cannot see why anyone would still want the film even if it was available.  Every bit of information that would be on the film is on the digital image.

                          Paul

                          ________________________________

                          --
                          Lise Embley
                          757/645-9237 home

                        • roseingram2001
                          Message 12 of 21 , Feb 5, 2013
                            Aah. The films I was looking at did not have the digitized image, only detailed information on the index.

                            Rose

                            --- In FHCNET@yahoogroups.com, Lise Embley wrote:

                            > I think you've misunderstood the "not available" part. It doesn't make
                            > sense to send out a traditional microfilm via US mail if you have the
                            > digital image available online. So "not available" is actually more like
                            > "not necessary." It isn't that the content of the film has been withdrawn
                            > from circulation.
                            >
                            > Lise
                            >

                            > On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 12:57 PM, roseingram2001 wrote:
                            >
                            > > **
                            > >

                            > > I have seen and worked from digitized records on line, after seeing the
                            > > red notation that the films I wanted were digitized.
                            > >
                            > > But knowing there were two children 'missing' in the family, I was able to
                            > > order the films and find them , with misspelled names of course.
                            > >
                            > > I did not see anything in the Library Catalog saying the films are not
                            > > available because they are now digitized. They need to be available so we
                            > > can get copies of the orginal records. Especially if they are from
                            > > countries central or eastern Europe.
                            > >
                            > > Rose Ingram
                            > >
                            > > --- In FHCNET@yahoogroups.com, "ccaruso8011" wrote:
                            > > >
                            > > > A patron needs two films for a presentation he has to give in March. The
                            > > problem is that these two films have now been digitized. Therefore,
                            > > according to the Family History Library Catalog, these film numbers do not
                            > > exist. So they cannot be ordered.
                            > > >
                            > > > However, the digitized versions have not yet made it to the online site.
                            > > >
                            > > > It took about an hour and a half on the phone with SLC to find out this
                            > > much.
                            > > >
                            > > > Has anyone else encountered such a situation? If so, when do you think
                            > > we might view them online? A week? A month? Two months?
                            > > >
                            > > > If it is going to be quite a while before they make it online, does
                            > > anyone have a work around so our patron can view them?
                            > > >
                            > > > In the meantime, I will certainly be checking for them every few hours!
                            > > >
                            > > > Thanks.
                            > > >
                            > > > Carole
                            > > >

                            > --
                            > Lise Embley
                            > 757/645-9237 home
                            > 757/903-5706 cell

                          • Paul Walworth
                            Message 13 of 21 , Feb 5, 2013
                              Rose,

                              So it would not be any good for viewing or copying documents.  But it might be good for finding the film or films that might have those documents.

                              Paul

                              ________________________________

                              Aah. The films I was looking at did not have the digitized image, only detailed information on the index.

                              Rose

                              --- In FHCNET@yahoogroups.com, Lise Embley wrote:

                              > I think you've misunderstood the "not available" part. It doesn't make
                              > sense to send out a traditional microfilm via US mail if you have the
                              > digital image available online. So "not available" is actually more like
                              > "not necessary." It isn't that the content of the film has been withdrawn
                              > from circulation.
                              >
                              > Lise
                              >

                              > On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 12:57 PM, roseingram2001 wrote:
                              >
                              > > **
                              > >

                              > > I have seen and worked from digitized records on line, after seeing the
                              > > red notation that the films I wanted were digitized.
                              > >
                              > > But knowing there were two children 'missing' in the family, I was able to
                              > > order the films and find them , with misspelled names of course.
                              > >
                              > > I did not see anything in the Library Catalog saying the films are not
                              > > available because they are now digitized. They need to be available so we
                              > > can get copies of the orginal records. Especially if they are from
                              > > countries central or eastern Europe.
                              > >
                              > > Rose Ingram
                              > >
                              > > --- In FHCNET@yahoogroups.com, "ccaruso8011" wrote:
                              > > >
                              > > > A patron needs two films for a presentation he has to give in March. The
                              > > problem is that these two films have now been digitized. Therefore,
                              > > according to the Family History Library Catalog, these film numbers do not
                              > > exist. So they cannot be ordered.
                              > > >
                              > > > However, the digitized versions have not yet made it to the online site.
                              > > >
                              > > > It took about an hour and a half on the phone with SLC to find out this
                              > > much.
                              > > >
                              > > > Has anyone else encountered such a situation? If so, when do you think
                              > > we might view them online? A week? A month? Two months?
                              > > >
                              > > > If it is going to be quite a while before they make it online, does
                              > > anyone have a work around so our patron can view them?
                              > > >
                              > > > In the meantime, I will certainly be checking for them every few hours!
                              > > >
                              > > > Thanks.
                              > > >
                              > > > Carole

                            • ccaruso8011
                              Message 14 of 21 , Feb 6, 2013
                                I am the one who asked originally about the unavailability
                                of records when they are neither here nor there.

                                Thanks to a knowledgeable support lady, I learned how to
                                handle this.

                                The records I wanted were of a digitized copy of a book. The
                                copy was out there somewhere but had not yet made it from
                                the vault to the digitized records on the Internet.

                                So this leaves you with two choices. You wait until the
                                records appear on the FamilySearch site. Or you contact
                                Photoduplication and ask them to copy them for you. The
                                copies are e-mailed to you.

                                Thanks for all the replies.

                                Carole