FH Seminar, May 1st, Raleigh, NC

  • Terri Jaskolka
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 2 8:18 PM
      We would like to announce for those able to attend, a FH Seminar, to be held
      on Saturday, May 1st from 9am-1pm at 5060 Six Forks Rd, Raleigh, NC. If you
      pre-register (email nc_raleigh@... or call 919-783-7752) by April
      28th, you will receive a CD containing available handouts from ALL classes.
      Same day registration will be from 8:30-9am and we will be serving scones &
      juice for those who arrive early. At 9am, we will have a keynote address
      entitled "Is this the same man, or a different one by the same name?" by
      Helen Leary, a well-known genealogist and author. Classes follow as
      scheduled below (please let us know your class choices when you register):

      10 AM: US Census, Getting Started, Digitizing Pictures, new.FamilySearch
      11 AM: On-line Maps, Getting Organized, On-line Books, What's new in
      FamilySearch?
      12 PM: Born in NC, Oral Histories, Who's your Mama's Mama's Mama, Googling
      Your Family Tree

      For your convenience, here are some short class descriptions:

      Getting Started - Where to start and how to research your ancestors without
      losing your mind

      Digitizing Pictures - How-to choose & use a program to organize your digital
      photos & documents & link them to your data

      newFamilySearch - How-to geared for Church members, but can also be a
      preview for what is to come to the public in the next few years.

      Online Maps - How-to use different types of maps available online to further
      your research. Uses mainly NC maps, but the skills can be applied to other
      locations.

      Getting Organized - tips on getting your data out of the attic/garage and
      into usable condition so you can put your hands on the information you need
      within seconds instead of hours or days

      US Census - Where to find them, what they will and will not tell you

      Online Books - using the internet to find hard copy book sources

      What's New in FamilySearch? - Changes and the newest applications available
      through the FamilySearch family of services

      Born in NC - Documenting your NC ancestors using multiple records &
      composing a timeline

      Oral History - interviewing techniques, sample questions, tools to use to
      get the most information out of your subject

      Who's your Mama's Mama's Mama? - finding your female ancestor in a man's
      world

      Googling Your Family Tree - using the popular search engine's tools to
      narrow down your searches and make them more productive

      There is no charge for registering or attending, just bring a friend. :)

      -Terri J.