RE: [FHCNET] your favorite internet sites

  • emregister
    Message 1 of 27 , Mar 2 7:07 AM
      Download the FHL favourites from the landesk management site. It is
      extensive.

      Eric

      Subject: [FHCNET] your favorite internet sites

      We are teaching several upcoming classes at our FHC, and I'd like to update
      our handout on internet sites - both US and worldwide.

      I'd love to hear about your favorites - anything new, preferably. I'm a 45
      year veteran of genealogy, and know about the tried and true ones like
      Cyndislist and usgenweb, multimap, Free BMD, FHC portal and Record Search
      Pilot, etc. Some worldwide sites would be nice. I am especially ignorant on
      Canadian research.

      Thanks -- Judy Lockhart, Mission Viejo, CA FHC

      > Groups Links

      > signature database 4905 (20100301) __________

      > http://www.eset.com

      database 4906 (20100301) __________

      http://www.eset.com

      Groups Links
      Message 2 of 27 , Mar 2 7:25 AM
        Paxton Lockhart wrote:

        > We are teaching several upcoming classes at our FHC, and I'd like to update
        > our handout on internet sites - both US and worldwide.
        >
        > I'd love to hear about your favorites - anything new, preferably. I'm a 45
        > year veteran of genealogy, and know about the tried and true ones like
        > Cyndislist and usgenweb, multimap, Free BMD, FHC portal and Record Search
        > Pilot, etc. Some worldwide sites would be nice. I am especially ignorant on
        > Canadian research.
        >
        > Thanks -- Judy Lockhart, Mission Viejo, CA FHC

        www.genuki.org.uk -- THE place to start British research.

        www.namethesaurus.com -- will show names that may sound
        alike -- uses 3 separate coding systems, not including LDS',
        which is VERY helpful if you suspect a dialect problem.

        Yvon Cyr and Denis Beauregarde both have websites covering
        Acadian/Cajun research but I don't remember the URLs

        www.loc.gov/coll/nucmc -- manuscript collection index at
        Library of Congress.

        www.dar.org has recently mounted some data that's available
        to the public

        www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook has
        been useful on occasion.

        www.sachsen.de/en/bf/verwaltung/archivverwaltung/inhalt_archive.html
        resource of Saxony-German research ...

        and don't forget the WorldGenWeb.org -- some places are a
        lot more useful than others, but you owe it to yourself to look.

        FWIW, HTH

        Cheryl Singhal
      • Fred
        Message 3 of 27 , Mar 2 7:55 AM
          Ah, Canadian, I forgot to add:
          http://www.francogene.com/genealogy/index.php

          Regards, Fred

          > We are teaching several upcoming classes at our FHC, and I'd like to
          update
          > our handout on internet sites - both US and worldwide.
          >
          > I'd love to hear about your favorites - anything new, preferably. I'm a 45

          > year veteran of genealogy, and know about the tried and true ones like
          > Cyndislist and usgenweb, multimap, Free BMD, FHC portal and Record Search
          > Pilot, etc. Some worldwide sites would be nice. I am especially ignorant
          on
          > Canadian research.
          >
          > Thanks -- Judy Lockhart, Mission Viejo, CA FHC

        • Sylvia H. Sonneborn
          Message 4 of 27 , Mar 2 8:44 AM
            To Paxton

            RE: Favorite Internet Sites

            Try http://www.progenealogists.com/

            Click on green block that says, "Try our famous Genealogy Sleuth" and it
            will open up a collection of wonderful sites for the family history
            researcher.

            I also like Linkendium.com

            World Connect at Rootsweb http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/ It's a free
            site and owned by Ancestry.

            Sylvia

            York, Pennsylvania

          • Ann Amadori
            Message 5 of 27 , Mar 2 8:46 AM
              I like https://www.novascotiagenealogy.com/<https://www.novascotiagenealogy.com/> for vital records in Nova Scotia. You can see the actual records free and/or order certified copies.
              Ann A.

              Posted by: "Paxton Lockhart" paxnjudy@... <mailto:paxnjudy@...?Subject= Re:your favorite internet sites> paxnjudy@... <http://profiles.yahoo.com/paxnjudy@...>
              Mon Mar 1, 2010 12:40 pm (PST)
              We are teaching several upcoming classes at our FHC, and I'd like to update
              our handout on internet sites - both US and worldwide.

              I'd love to hear about your favorites - anything new, preferably. I'm a 45
              year veteran of genealogy, and know about the tried and true ones like
              Cyndislist and usgenweb, multimap, Free BMD, FHC portal and Record Search
              Pilot, etc. Some worldwide sites would be nice. I am especially ignorant on
              Canadian research.

              Thanks -- Judy Lockhart, Mission Viejo, CA FHC

            • Paul Walworth
              Message 6 of 27 , Mar 2 9:57 AM
                Thanks, I have just started using this and have found quite a bit of information for my families
                Paul

                ________________________________

              • llucky@sbcglobal.net
                Message 7 of 27 , Mar 2 11:27 AM
                  We have been asked to teach a class - and help a group - researching their Tongan families. Does anyone have any suggestions or helpful websites? This is a new area for us.
                  Thanks
                  Linda Lucky
                • Sylvia H. Sonneborn
                  Message 8 of 27 , Mar 2 11:36 AM
                    To Paxton

                    RE: Favorite Internet Sites

                    Try http://www.progenealogists.com/

                    Click on green block that says, "Try our famous Genealogy Sleuth" and it
                    will open up a collection of wonderful sites for the family history
                    researcher.

                    I also like Linkpendium.com

                    World Connect at Rootsweb http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/ It's a free
                    site and owned by Ancestry.

                    Sylvia

                    York, Pennsylvania

                  • Ben Bennett
                    Message 9 of 27 , Mar 2 1:04 PM
                      While it’s not new news to most of you, as I read this string I couldn’t help but plug the FamilySearch wiki (https://wiki.familysearch.org ) as a great resource that should be highlighted during upcoming FHC Expos or other classes.

                      In line with your original question Paxton, the goal of the FamilySearch wiki is to capture knowledge (similar to the info included on many of the websites referenced by other FHCNetters in this string) in one place making it a one stop shop for links and info that will help patrons find their ancestors. The great thing about the wiki is that when someone else finds a great resource that isn’t already there (again like some of those referenced in this string), you can add it yourself and allow others to benefit.

                      I’ve attached a pass along card that you can reproduce and hand out w/links to the wiki (and FamilySearch forums where users can also ask/get specific research help online in addition to the great support they get at the FHCs).

                      Hope this helps <end of shameless plug ☺>

                      Message 10 of 27 , Mar 2 2:24 PM
                        this sounds like a challenging class. I have not had to teach anything from
                        the Pacific Islands but I think I may have some helpful sites. The first
                        site is the FamilySearch Community Trees at
                        http://histfam.familysearch.org/searchform.php. Once you get to this site
                        pull down the menu at Trees. Scroll down to the Pacific Islands section and
                        you will see Tongan Oral Genealogies. They also have several other Pacific
                        Island genealogy databases there.

                        Another page which may be helpful is the FamilySearch Wiki. They have info
                        on Tongan research at https://wiki.familysearch.org/en/Portal:Tonga.

                        WorldVitalRecords has a Tongan portal at http://tonga.worldvitalrecords.com/.
                        It claims to search over 60 websites related to Tongan genealogy.

                        If those don't help, then I would suggest going to Google and searching for
                        Tonga Genealogy. Here is a link to their search results:
                        http://tinyurl.com/yc7epgz.

                        Miles Meyer
                        Jacksonville, FL
                        *
                        *
                        *
                        *

                        On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 2:27 PM, llucky@...
                        <llucky@...>wrote:

                        > We have been asked to teach a class - and help a group - researching their
                        > Tongan families. Does anyone have any suggestions or helpful websites? This
                        > is a new area for us.
                        > Thanks
                        > Linda Lucky

                      • Alton Sissell
                        Message 11 of 27 , Mar 2 10:36 PM
                          Linda: I Googled "Tonga Genealogy Research" and got 93,700 sites for Tonga research.

                          try http://tonga.worldvitalrecords.com/ also!

                          Alton Sissell

                          ________________________________
                          Message 12 of 27 , Mar 2 11:52 PM
                            There are some oral histories, important to consider in this area, on the 'Community Trees' project on FamilySearch Labs.

                            Darn little on the wiki, this area needs some additional information, only some bare-bones stuff from the old research outlines there.

                            ____________ _________ _________ __

                            Message 13 of 27 , Mar 3 6:06 AM
                              Ben mentions "one-stop shop" -- I was 100% in favor of
                              one-stop shopping, back in the early 1990s, but was heavily
                              out-voted by people who couldn't be bothered scrolling
                              through Alaska and Alabama to get to Arkansas, or couldn't
                              figure out that they /weren't/ required to read a post about
                              Finnish research if they had no Finnish ancestors. Those
                              folks created the myriad mail-lists and focussed/fractured
                              websites we've got today.

                              Trust me -- there will always be SOMEONE who thinks
                              he/she/it can build a better (master-list of sites)(search
                              engine)(database of names)(whatever) than any of the 100 or
                              so out there.

                              As I have pointed out to other groups (just so you don't
                              feel picked-on as a religious minority or anything), a site
                              built by and for (any single group interest) is always going
                              to censor -- consciously, unconsciously, subconsciously --
                              the content. While it may be uncomfortable for
                              great-grandaunt Esmeralda to admit to her cronies in the
                              Women's Circle that her grandfather was (lowered voice)
                              Episcopal, she might have more luck fishing in known
                              Episcopal genealogical waters than looking for Methodist
                              genealogical waters that didn't exist in the time period she
                              needs documents.

                              What? Oh, right. I'll dismount now, and go take another
                              pain pill.

                              Sorry.

                              Cheryl

                              Ben Bennett wrote:
                              > While it’s not new news to most of you, as I read this string I couldn’t help but plug the FamilySearch wiki (https://wiki.familysearch.org ) as a great resource that should be highlighted during upcoming FHC Expos or other classes.
                              >

                              > In line with your original question Paxton, the goal of the FamilySearch wiki is to capture knowledge (similar to the info included on many of the websites referenced by other FHCNetters in this string) in one place making it a one stop shop for links and info that will help patrons find their ancestors. The great thing about the wiki is that when someone else finds a great resource that isn’t already there (again like some of those referenced in this string), you can add it yourself and allow others to benefit.
                              >

                              > I’ve attached a pass along card that you can reproduce and hand out w/links to the wiki (and FamilySearch forums where users can also ask/get specific research help online in addition to the great support they get at the FHCs).
                              >

                              > Hope this helps <end of shameless plug ☺>

                            • Paula
                              Message 14 of 27 , Mar 3 9:39 AM
                                If you use the keyword search in the Family History Library Catalog and search "interview Tonga", there are many oral genealogy interviews listed. I am not sure which family you are looking for but if they were in Hawaii around the 1950's or had family members there at that time, there are also many oral histories done at that time in Hawaii that might help. I am in Hawaii currently so I cannot check the films or film numbers that we have to tell you which ones have the Tongan Information. A major portion of the information you need is probably only found in oral histories. As mentioned before the Community Trees project on FamilySearch Labs is also a very good source. They have spent years on the Polynesian lines that are there and continue to work on them using FH missionaries that are very familiar with the culture and families they work with.

                                Aloha,
                                Paula

                                Message 15 of 27 , Mar 3 9:40 PM
                                  For the aspect related to being a one stop shop for links, wouldn't it be
                                  worthwhile exploring the potential to work cooperatively with someone like
                                  Cyndi Howells, who has spent a decade collecting Internet links? It seems
                                  like the wiki is trying to reinvent the wheel here.

                                  Gary Templeman

                                  Message 16 of 27 , Mar 3 10:21 PM
                                    Yes, there is some information that is replicated (links to websites), but
                                    that is not the main purpose of the Wiki. If you are looking at the Wiki to
                                    find only internet sites, you have a narrow view of its full purpose. As an
                                    example, one item in the Wiki is information that was contained in the
                                    Resource Outlines, that were published years ago, and some of that
                                    information is out of date. The Wiki will provide the means to keep this
                                    information current.

                                    Having worked on a small part of the Wiki, during my mission at the Family
                                    History Library, I gained an insight into what is being created. The Wiki
                                    is designed to give guidance on how to do family research for any where in
                                    the world. One of the features of the Wiki is that anyone can add
                                    information that could be useful for others. Cyndi has done a great service
                                    in scouring the internet to find sites that are useful, but there are a
                                    great deal of other pieces of the puzzle that helps us identify needed
                                    records, that are not on internet sites.

                                    I may have access to information that no one else has, and I can add that
                                    information to the Wiki. Likewise, others may contribute information. No
                                    one person has all the expertise in a specific area. But many contributors
                                    can provide a great deal of information that will benefit the whole
                                    community.

                                    Len Ingermanson

                                    Message 17 of 27 , Mar 4 6:27 PM
                                      Then why not just have the wiki point to Cyndi or
                                      Linkpendium for those lists? There's enough to do in the
                                      genealogy market-place without building a better list of lists.

                                      Let's not lose sight of the fact that some facts don't need
                                      updating very often: The burned Counties of Virginia have
                                      been Burned Counties a long long long time and will remain
                                      so for a long long long time; the facts that English civil
                                      BMD records go back only to 1832 and Scottish ones only to
                                      1855, that India-Indians had no place to register
                                      same-religion marriages until about 1999 is going to be true
                                      a long time as well. If the Romanovs suddenly reappear as
                                      rulers of Russia. or the Bourbons regain the throne of
                                      France or the current Shah'n'Shah regains his country --
                                      it'll be international news, not an obscure fact in some
                                      genealogy wiki/blog/webpage.

                                      Cheryl

                                      Len Ingermanson wrote:

                                      > Yes, there is some information that is replicated (links to websites), but
                                      > that is not the main purpose of the Wiki. If you are looking at the Wiki to
                                      > find only internet sites, you have a narrow view of its full purpose. As an
                                      > example, one item in the Wiki is information that was contained in the
                                      > Resource Outlines, that were published years ago, and some of that
                                      > information is out of date. The Wiki will provide the means to keep this
                                      > information current.
                                      >
                                      > Having worked on a small part of the Wiki, during my mission at the Family
                                      > History Library, I gained an insight into what is being created. The Wiki
                                      > is designed to give guidance on how to do family research for any where in
                                      > the world. One of the features of the Wiki is that anyone can add
                                      > information that could be useful for others. Cyndi has done a great service
                                      > in scouring the internet to find sites that are useful, but there are a
                                      > great deal of other pieces of the puzzle that helps us identify needed
                                      > records, that are not on internet sites.
                                      >
                                      > I may have access to information that no one else has, and I can add that
                                      > information to the Wiki. Likewise, others may contribute information. No
                                      > one person has all the expertise in a specific area. But many contributors
                                      > can provide a great deal of information that will benefit the whole
                                      > community.
                                      >
                                      > Len Ingermanson
                                      >

                                      > On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 10:40 PM, Gary Templeman <gtempleman1@...>wrote:
                                      >

                                      >>For the aspect related to being a one stop shop for links, wouldn't it be
                                      >>worthwhile exploring the potential to work cooperatively with someone like
                                      >>Cyndi Howells, who has spent a decade collecting Internet links? It seems
                                      >>like the wiki is trying to reinvent the wheel here.
                                      >>
                                      >>Gary Templeman

                                    • Gary Templeman
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Mar 4 8:50 PM
                                        Len,

                                        I think you missed my point. I specifically was commenting *only* on the
                                        aspect of the wiki related to Internet links, not any other facet. I was not
                                        implying that there was nothing else of value there.

                                        The issue that I was trying to point out is that there are a finite number
                                        of Church service missionaries and Church employees and therefore a finite
                                        amount of resources that can be applied at any time. Cyndi Howells and the
                                        Internet links was only an illustration, but there are other examples of
                                        situations where, out of a labor of love, individuals or groups have created
                                        a valuable web site or resource. Stephen Morse's search engines or the
                                        German-Russian information at Odessa3.org are two others that come to mind.
                                        People such as Cyndi or Stephen are unlikely to be able to maintain those
                                        projects on their own forever, while as an institution the Church is not
                                        going to get burned out, old or die.

                                        So it seems to me that attempting wherever possible to work cooperatively
                                        WITH people such as Cyndi or Stephen rather than creating a parallel system
                                        becomes a win-win. Now I don't know Cyndi or Stephen, so maybe they intend
                                        to eventually sell their site to Ancestry or something. But if not, figuring
                                        out a way to blend their information into the wiki rather than creating it
                                        again from scratch just seems to me to be a smart thing to do. They get
                                        assured of continuity for all their hard work AND the missionaries and
                                        employees can devote a greater percentage of time to those aspects of the
                                        wiki that do not have viable alternatives. Otherwise there is always a risk
                                        of becoming spread too thin, resulting in the wiki turning into a "jack of
                                        all trades, master of none" kind of site. Far better it seems to me is to
                                        try to pull into our tent those who have already done a masterful job.

                                        Gary

                                        > Yes, there is some information that is replicated (links to websites), but
                                        > that is not the main purpose of the Wiki. If you are looking at the Wiki
                                        > find only internet sites, you have a narrow view of its full purpose. As
                                        > an
                                        > example, one item in the Wiki is information that was contained in the
                                        > Resource Outlines, that were published years ago, and some of that
                                        > information is out of date. The Wiki will provide the means to keep this
                                        > information current.
                                        >
                                        > Having worked on a small part of the Wiki, during my mission at the Family
                                        > History Library, I gained an insight into what is being created. The Wiki
                                        > is designed to give guidance on how to do family research for any where in
                                        > the world. One of the features of the Wiki is that anyone can add
                                        > information that could be useful for others. Cyndi has done a great
                                        > service
                                        > in scouring the internet to find sites that are useful, but there are a
                                        > great deal of other pieces of the puzzle that helps us identify needed
                                        > records, that are not on internet sites.
                                        >
                                        > I may have access to information that no one else has, and I can add that
                                        > information to the Wiki. Likewise, others may contribute information. No
                                        > one person has all the expertise in a specific area. But many
                                        > contributors
                                        > can provide a great deal of information that will benefit the whole
                                        > community.
                                        >
                                        > Len Ingermanson
                                        >

                                        > On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 10:40 PM, Gary Templeman
                                        > <gtempleman1@...>wrote:
                                        >

                                        >> For the aspect related to being a one stop shop for links, wouldn't it be
                                        >> worthwhile exploring the potential to work cooperatively with someone
                                        >> like
                                        >> Cyndi Howells, who has spent a decade collecting Internet links? It seems
                                        >> like the wiki is trying to reinvent the wheel here.
                                        >>
                                        >> Gary Templeman

                                        > Groups Links

                                      • John Vilburn
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Mar 5 1:10 AM
                                          Gary,

                                          You make a good point. I am not sure of the logistics, but the point is valid.

                                          One thing that I would like to add is that the wiki is not limited to editing by Church service missionaries or Church employees. Anyone with knowledge about a particular subject or area of the world can and should contribute. By working together to each add our own little bit of knowledge, the wiki can become a marvelous resource. One easy thing to do is to look up the place where you live or where you have done some research and see if your knowledge is missing from the wiki. In fact, now that I think about it, I am going to go and add a little about the very briefly lived town of Seaborn, Baylor, Texas to the wiki.

                                          Aloha,
                                          John

                                        • Terry Turner
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Jan 15, 2011
                                            Does anyone have access to the SCR CD that ran with the DOS Family Search
                                            application? I'm looking for a copy.

                                            Terry in South Africa

                                          • Bill Buchanan
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Jan 15, 2011
                                              Terry,

                                              The LANDesk Software Deployment portal has a version that you can install
                                              without the CD, on a WindowsXP computer. It worked great on XP but I have
                                              not been able to get it to work on Windows7 (64-bit) yet. If you have XP,
                                              just download it from LANDesk like you do with the affiliate software.

                                              --
                                              Bill Buchanan
                                              blog: http://billbuchanan.blogspot.com