Re: [FHCNET] FamilySearch Affiliate Information Sharing

  • Russell Hltn
    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 2, 2010

      #3, Maybe at some point. I'm cautious right now for reasons I'll make clear.
      #2, Findagrave.com. It already has a large collection of headstone
      photos. It does have some genealogy lines, but it doesn't handle it
      all that well and it's a secondary purpose of the site.
      #1, Yes, with reservations. One has to consider all the ways that
      people use, abuse, and get bent out of shape about. One would need to
      craft some kind of policy about how to handle things.

      Some issues I've seen or at least heard of:
      - Someone will take photos from the site and post it elsewhere without
      permission. (Technically illegal due to copyright restrictions.)

      - Someone will take photos from other sites and post it to nFS without
      proper permission.

      - Someone will post "documents" using the photo feature.

      - Someone will post generic photos - such as the steamship they
      crossed over on, or a Purple Heart for a soldier was was awarded one.

      - Sooner or later someone will upload something offensive. Perhaps
      blatantly offensive, or at least upsetting - such as a criminal mug
      shot. Or perhaps a post-mortem photo.

      - Someone will upload a photo that someone disputes as being the wrong person.

      - What about photos uploaded with large "copyright" messages or watermarks?

      In short, any stupid thing you can think of WILL happen. Some
      reasonable, some "out there".

      For myself, I think I'd like the option to restrict the photo. For
      example,it would only be visible to those "of blood". It wouldn't be
      visible to looky-loos.

      To avoid the problem when a person is "split", I'd suggest that a
      photo be attached to only one singular person ID. That way, the
      person could only be combined, never split.
    • Marian Johnson
      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 2, 2010
        TreeSeek doesn't know how to handle diacritics for names and places in foreign languages. It leaves these letters out altogether.

        --- In FHCNET@yahoogroups.com, Tim Cross <timothygcross@...> wrote:

        > The interesting thing about affiliate sites is the more traffic they see, the more options they have to make the site free while making money via ads or something else.
        > Photoloom currently charges an annual fee.
        > TreeSeek is currently free.  The pdf files that TreeSeek creates can be saved, shared (email, etc.), or printed out.
        > I recently emailed a 9-generation chart to my ward consultant who is much better at research than I am.  Within a week she showed up at my door with hardcopy printouts of sources that extended one of my end-of-lines.  FH Consultants are awesome!
        > Tim

      • Tim Cross
        Message 3 of 20 , Mar 2, 2010
          Thank you!  Thank you!  Thank you!  Very good discussion thread.
          I think personal genealogy websites could be part of this.
          I know it isn't exactly what you are requesting but footnote is working with us.  I created a couple of simple pages for a few of my ancestors to get a feel for how things might work:  http://www.footnote.com/page/110457803_john_henry_cross/Note the link to nFS.  We are working to make this integration much tighter.
          Tim

          Message 4 of 20 , Mar 2, 2010
            Tim, I think there might be some confusion on how these affiliate systems
            might work with the photos. Could you provide some background on how some of
            these issues are being handled? As I understand it based on my experience on
            other sites, these pictures would be housed at PhotoLoom with a link to a
            nFS PID. These photos would not be housed on nFS or viewed in the pedigree
            charts. Is that correct?

            The BYU project that I was testing looked at your tree in nFS and kept track
            of when a document was added to anyone connected to you in your tree. Then
            it would notify you if someone added something to your line. I think that
            would calm some of the concerns that I have seen here about anyone/everyone
            seeing information that you added. However, in that case anyone could
            randomly read the journals that were being indexed.
            As far as copyright is concerned, would the submissions be ruled under
            creative commons? Therefore anyone wanting to copy the photo would be
            allowed? If someone is concerned about their phot being copied why would
            they put it on the internet?

            Miles Meyer
            Jacksonville, FL

          • Russell Hltn
            Message 5 of 20 , Mar 2, 2010
              On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 5:48 AM, Miles Meyer <milesmeyer@...> wrote:
              > As far as copyright is concerned, would the submissions be ruled under
              > creative commons? Therefore anyone wanting to copy the photo would be
              > allowed?

              I think you'd have fewer submitters.

              > If someone is concerned about their phot being copied why would
              > they put it on the internet?

              <sigh> I've seen this issue enough elsewhere to know this could well
              spawn it's own long thread. It's a hot topic. One one side are
              people who want the freedom to take what they want and repost it.
              They also seem to confuse what's easy with what's right. On the other
              side are people who ask that everyone respect THE LAW. (I tend to be
              the latter.) According to the law, I can post things on a website and
              ask that it not be republished.

              Car thefts happen all the time. But I don't see anyone arguing that I
              shouldn't own a car if having my car stolen would upset me so much.

              A quick primer on copyright can be found here:
              http://www.pddoc.com/copyright/genealogy_copyright_fundamentals.htm

              Note, I'm not talking about people taking photos to put in a private
              file. The issue (to me at least) is people taking photos and
              *publishing* them by placing them on a website.

              Do you really want to allow anyone to take a photo of your
              GGrandfather and publish it in their (unrelated) tree just because
              "it's an old person and I wanted to see what they looked like"? What
              if it was attached to an unflattering story? Or perhaps taking a
              number of photos, making a collage and selling it on eBay? (It's
              happened.) That's what would happen under "creative commons", and you
              can't do anything about it.

              I know I won't be contributing any of my family photos to be used and
              abused as anyone sees fit. This is also why I'd like to see a
              "privacy option" to limit who can see the photos. I'm willing to
              share with family, not to "the world".

              (Timothy, see what you're in for? <grin>)
            • Venita Roylance
              Message 6 of 20 , Mar 7, 2010
                Hi Tim,

                I just happened upon a website that I find interesting and potentially very useful. It is called Ancestral Atlas and the URL is http://www.ancestralatlas.com/ancestral-atlas-genealogy-mapping-network.php

                Have you heard of it? Have a look.

                Venita

                On Mar 1, 2010, at 7:24 AM, timothygcross wrote:

                > This is an example of a post that I would like feedback on regarding the affiliates.
                >
                > We are exploring a concept around openly sharing information, images, sites, etc., in the FamilySearch Community. The idea is that when something is posted or published on FamilySearch or on an affiliate site, this information is immediately accessible through any of the affiliate software products or services. One example of this is www.photoloom.com.
                >
                > www.photoloom.com is a site where we are able to upload pictures of our ancestors. Since www.photoloom.com is an affiliate, we are able to log into nFS from this site and access the FamilySearch Tree. This tree information is then used to identify persons in the photos. Once our ancestors are identified in the pictures, this information is made available to the FamilySearch Community via the FS Person ID. Imagine pictures of your ancestors on every pedigree draw by FamilySearch or an Affiliate. An example of this is www.TreeSeek.com.
                >
                > www.TreeSeek.com is an affiliate that generates charts from nFS. For the 4-generation charts with pictures, www.TreeSeek.com uses nFS to create the tree and then accesses the pictures on www.photoloom.com identified for each ancestor. The result is a nice 4-generation chart using nFS tree information coupled with photos from www.photoloom.com.
                >
                > My questions for the group include:
                > 1. Is the FamilySearch Community concept appealing?
                > 2. Are there sites you would like to see become part of the FamilySearch Community?
                > 3. Do you think this particular example of photo tagging is something youth would engage in? Youth currently do similar tagging of photos on facebook, just not for their ancestors.
                >
                > Thank you for your consideration.
                >
                > Tim
                >
                > p.s. Should we set up a different group to discuss these types of posts? Or, is it "ok" on FHCNet?

              • Kathryn Marshall
                Message 7 of 20 , Mar 7, 2010
                  Tim,

                  I raised the question of sharing information in the FamilySearch Community with some of our regular FHC patrons. They like the notion of being able to click a link from one web site to another that would have information about a particular ancestor found on both sites. Saving time filling in search fields and assuring that the same individual is being accessed on both sites are deemed valuable features.

                  However, the patrons with whom I spoke are not willing to trade convenience for control over their own data, particularly family photos. If data were to be posted to FamilySearch, they definitely would want the data to remain with FamilySearch itself and not be funneled off to another entity. A strong sense of betrayal by particular entities remains for having used data collected from customers in ways the customers did not anticipate.

                  Our patrons were open to being invited to upload images to an affiliate for a one time purpose with a small link, but not a pop-up ad. They did not welcome the Church sharing their images with others, and were leary of "bait and switch" sneaking in. A non-LDS couple was the most vehement that they would trust the Church not to hijack their precious family images, but would not trust a commercial affiliate. "We've had agreements before that were not honored." Our patrons are requiring reason to trust what will eventually be done with the data and images.

                  Our youth would be open to tagging photos, but they do not know who is in old family photos in order to do so. Older patrons would be pleased to see correct names attached to old photos, and would welcome easy ways to zoom in and do that -- if they could be assured control over who sees the images. There is valid concern about offending family members in group photos when individuals in an image, or their nearest relatives, may not have given their permission for such a posting. Would there be restrictions on posting images of living persons?

                  Linking names on familysearch with passenger lists and ship images would be desirable.
                  http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~ote/shipindx.htm
                  http://stevemorse.org/

                  I will request additional feedback at our next FHC staff meeting.

                  KM Marshall, FHC Director

                  Message 8 of 20 , Mar 8, 2010
                    Venita,
                    We are aware of and are talking with them.
                    Tim

                    I just happened upon a website that I find interesting and potentially very useful.  It is called Ancestral Atlas and the URL is http://www.ancestralatlas.com/ancestral-atlas-genealogy-mapping-network.php

                    Have you heard of it?  Have a look.

                    Venita

                    On Mar 1, 2010, at 7:24 AM, timothygcross wrote:

                    > This is an example of a post that I would like feedback on regarding the affiliates.
                    >
                    > We are exploring a concept around openly sharing information, images, sites, etc., in the FamilySearch Community. The idea is that when something is posted or published on FamilySearch or on an affiliate site, this information is immediately accessible through any of the affiliate software products or services. One example of this is www.photoloom.com.
                    >
                    > www.photoloom.com is a site where we are able to upload pictures of our ancestors. Since www.photoloom.com is an affiliate, we are able to log into nFS from this site and access the FamilySearch Tree. This tree information is then used to identify persons in the photos. Once our ancestors are identified in the pictures, this information is made available to the FamilySearch Community via the FS Person ID. Imagine pictures of your ancestors on every pedigree draw by FamilySearch or an Affiliate. An example of this is www.TreeSeek.com.
                    >
                    > www.TreeSeek.com is an affiliate that generates charts from nFS. For the 4-generation charts with pictures, www.TreeSeek.com uses nFS to create the tree and then accesses the pictures on www.photoloom.com identified for each ancestor. The result is a nice 4-generation chart using nFS tree information coupled with photos from www.photoloom.com.
                    >
                    > My questions for the group include:
                    > 1. Is the FamilySearch Community concept appealing?
                    > 2. Are there sites you would like to see become part of the FamilySearch Community?
                    > 3. Do you think this particular example of photo tagging is something youth would engage in? Youth currently do similar tagging of photos on facebook, just not for their ancestors.
                    >
                    > Thank you for your consideration.
                    >
                    > Tim
                    >
                    > p.s. Should we set up a different group to discuss these types of posts? Or, is it "ok" on FHCNet?

                  • emregister
                    Message 9 of 20 , Mar 9, 2010
                      I am hoping that someone from the vicinity of the almost completed Vancouver
                      Temple can contact me off this list. If you are in or near Langley my email
                      is emregister@...

                      Eric