Re: [FHCNET] your favorite internet sites

  • Gary Templeman
    Message 1 of 27 , Mar 1 7:59 PM
      A third way to get the FHL favorites, for FHC computers, is through the
      LANDesk Software Deployment Portal.

      A fourth way is to export them from any computer where they already reside
      (although others sources are more likely to be current).

      Gary Templeman

      Message 2 of 27 , Mar 1 8:13 PM
        More dit names:
        http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~unclefred/DitNames.html

        Newspapers:
        http://news.nnyln.net/

        Wills:
        http://www.sampubco.com/

        EllisIsland, etc: (best search engine)
        http://stevemorse.org/ellis/passengers.php

        Published families/lists/boards/freepages:
        www.rootsweb.com

        Worldwide genealogy Locations:
        http://www.worldgenweb.org/

        Regards, Fred

        Message 3 of 27 , Mar 1 8:55 PM
          Go to http://www.telusplanet.net/public/mtoll/
          This is a website by one of our consultants at the Lethbridge, alberta FHC. Lots of links to Canada as well as all over the world.

          To: FHCNET@yahoogroups.com
          From: paxnjudy@...
          Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2010 12:39:38 -0800
          Subject: [FHCNET] your favorite internet sites

          We are teaching several upcoming classes at our FHC, and I'd like to update
          our handout on internet sites - both US and worldwide.

          I'd love to hear about your favorites - anything new, preferably. I'm a 45
          year veteran of genealogy, and know about the tried and true ones like
          Cyndislist and usgenweb, multimap, Free BMD, FHC portal and Record Search
          Pilot, etc. Some worldwide sites would be nice. I am especially ignorant on
          Canadian research.

          Thanks -- Judy Lockhart, Mission Viejo, CA FHC

          > Groups Links

          > signature database 4905 (20100301) __________

          > http://www.eset.com

          __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4906 (20100301) __________

          http://www.eset.com

        • emregister
          Message 4 of 27 , Mar 2 7:07 AM
            Download the FHL favourites from the landesk management site. It is
            extensive.

            Eric

            We are teaching several upcoming classes at our FHC, and I'd like to update
            our handout on internet sites - both US and worldwide.

            I'd love to hear about your favorites - anything new, preferably. I'm a 45
            year veteran of genealogy, and know about the tried and true ones like
            Cyndislist and usgenweb, multimap, Free BMD, FHC portal and Record Search
            Pilot, etc. Some worldwide sites would be nice. I am especially ignorant on
            Canadian research.

            Thanks -- Judy Lockhart, Mission Viejo, CA FHC

            > Groups Links

            > signature database 4905 (20100301) __________

            > http://www.eset.com

            database 4906 (20100301) __________

            http://www.eset.com

            Groups Links
            Message 5 of 27 , Mar 2 7:25 AM
              Paxton Lockhart wrote:

              > We are teaching several upcoming classes at our FHC, and I'd like to update
              > our handout on internet sites - both US and worldwide.
              >
              > I'd love to hear about your favorites - anything new, preferably. I'm a 45
              > year veteran of genealogy, and know about the tried and true ones like
              > Cyndislist and usgenweb, multimap, Free BMD, FHC portal and Record Search
              > Pilot, etc. Some worldwide sites would be nice. I am especially ignorant on
              > Canadian research.
              >
              > Thanks -- Judy Lockhart, Mission Viejo, CA FHC

              www.genuki.org.uk -- THE place to start British research.

              www.namethesaurus.com -- will show names that may sound
              alike -- uses 3 separate coding systems, not including LDS',
              which is VERY helpful if you suspect a dialect problem.

              Yvon Cyr and Denis Beauregarde both have websites covering
              Acadian/Cajun research but I don't remember the URLs

              www.loc.gov/coll/nucmc -- manuscript collection index at
              Library of Congress.

              www.dar.org has recently mounted some data that's available
              to the public

              www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook has
              been useful on occasion.

              www.sachsen.de/en/bf/verwaltung/archivverwaltung/inhalt_archive.html
              resource of Saxony-German research ...

              and don't forget the WorldGenWeb.org -- some places are a
              lot more useful than others, but you owe it to yourself to look.

              FWIW, HTH

              Cheryl Singhal
            • Fred
              Message 6 of 27 , Mar 2 7:55 AM
                Ah, Canadian, I forgot to add:
                http://www.francogene.com/genealogy/index.php

                Regards, Fred

                > We are teaching several upcoming classes at our FHC, and I'd like to
                update
                > our handout on internet sites - both US and worldwide.
                >
                > I'd love to hear about your favorites - anything new, preferably. I'm a 45

                > year veteran of genealogy, and know about the tried and true ones like
                > Cyndislist and usgenweb, multimap, Free BMD, FHC portal and Record Search
                > Pilot, etc. Some worldwide sites would be nice. I am especially ignorant
                on
                > Canadian research.
                >
                > Thanks -- Judy Lockhart, Mission Viejo, CA FHC

              • Sylvia H. Sonneborn
                Message 7 of 27 , Mar 2 8:44 AM
                  To Paxton

                  RE: Favorite Internet Sites

                  Try http://www.progenealogists.com/

                  Click on green block that says, "Try our famous Genealogy Sleuth" and it
                  will open up a collection of wonderful sites for the family history
                  researcher.

                  I also like Linkendium.com

                  World Connect at Rootsweb http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/ It's a free
                  site and owned by Ancestry.

                  Sylvia

                  York, Pennsylvania

                • Ann Amadori
                  Message 8 of 27 , Mar 2 8:46 AM
                    I like https://www.novascotiagenealogy.com/<https://www.novascotiagenealogy.com/> for vital records in Nova Scotia. You can see the actual records free and/or order certified copies.
                    Ann A.

                    Posted by: "Paxton Lockhart" paxnjudy@... <mailto:paxnjudy@...?Subject= Re:your favorite internet sites> paxnjudy@... <http://profiles.yahoo.com/paxnjudy@...>
                    Mon Mar 1, 2010 12:40 pm (PST)
                    We are teaching several upcoming classes at our FHC, and I'd like to update
                    our handout on internet sites - both US and worldwide.

                    I'd love to hear about your favorites - anything new, preferably. I'm a 45
                    year veteran of genealogy, and know about the tried and true ones like
                    Cyndislist and usgenweb, multimap, Free BMD, FHC portal and Record Search
                    Pilot, etc. Some worldwide sites would be nice. I am especially ignorant on
                    Canadian research.

                    Thanks -- Judy Lockhart, Mission Viejo, CA FHC

                  • Paul Walworth
                    Message 9 of 27 , Mar 2 9:57 AM
                      Thanks, I have just started using this and have found quite a bit of information for my families
                      Paul

                      ________________________________

                    • llucky@sbcglobal.net
                      Message 10 of 27 , Mar 2 11:27 AM
                        We have been asked to teach a class - and help a group - researching their Tongan families. Does anyone have any suggestions or helpful websites? This is a new area for us.
                        Thanks
                        Linda Lucky
                      • Sylvia H. Sonneborn
                        Message 11 of 27 , Mar 2 11:36 AM
                          To Paxton

                          RE: Favorite Internet Sites

                          Try http://www.progenealogists.com/

                          Click on green block that says, "Try our famous Genealogy Sleuth" and it
                          will open up a collection of wonderful sites for the family history
                          researcher.

                          I also like Linkpendium.com

                          World Connect at Rootsweb http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/ It's a free
                          site and owned by Ancestry.

                          Sylvia

                          York, Pennsylvania

                        • Ben Bennett
                          Message 12 of 27 , Mar 2 1:04 PM
                            While it’s not new news to most of you, as I read this string I couldn’t help but plug the FamilySearch wiki (https://wiki.familysearch.org ) as a great resource that should be highlighted during upcoming FHC Expos or other classes.

                            In line with your original question Paxton, the goal of the FamilySearch wiki is to capture knowledge (similar to the info included on many of the websites referenced by other FHCNetters in this string) in one place making it a one stop shop for links and info that will help patrons find their ancestors. The great thing about the wiki is that when someone else finds a great resource that isn’t already there (again like some of those referenced in this string), you can add it yourself and allow others to benefit.

                            I’ve attached a pass along card that you can reproduce and hand out w/links to the wiki (and FamilySearch forums where users can also ask/get specific research help online in addition to the great support they get at the FHCs).

                            Hope this helps <end of shameless plug ☺>

                            Message 13 of 27 , Mar 2 2:24 PM
                              this sounds like a challenging class. I have not had to teach anything from
                              the Pacific Islands but I think I may have some helpful sites. The first
                              site is the FamilySearch Community Trees at
                              http://histfam.familysearch.org/searchform.php. Once you get to this site
                              pull down the menu at Trees. Scroll down to the Pacific Islands section and
                              you will see Tongan Oral Genealogies. They also have several other Pacific
                              Island genealogy databases there.

                              Another page which may be helpful is the FamilySearch Wiki. They have info
                              on Tongan research at https://wiki.familysearch.org/en/Portal:Tonga.

                              WorldVitalRecords has a Tongan portal at http://tonga.worldvitalrecords.com/.
                              It claims to search over 60 websites related to Tongan genealogy.

                              If those don't help, then I would suggest going to Google and searching for
                              Tonga Genealogy. Here is a link to their search results:
                              http://tinyurl.com/yc7epgz.

                              Miles Meyer
                              Jacksonville, FL
                              *
                              *
                              *
                              *

                              On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 2:27 PM, llucky@...
                              <llucky@...>wrote:

                              > We have been asked to teach a class - and help a group - researching their
                              > Tongan families. Does anyone have any suggestions or helpful websites? This
                              > is a new area for us.
                              > Thanks
                              > Linda Lucky

                            • Alton Sissell
                              Message 14 of 27 , Mar 2 10:36 PM
                                Linda: I Googled "Tonga Genealogy Research" and got 93,700 sites for Tonga research.

                                try http://tonga.worldvitalrecords.com/ also!

                                Alton Sissell

                                ________________________________
                                Message 15 of 27 , Mar 2 11:52 PM
                                  There are some oral histories, important to consider in this area, on the 'Community Trees' project on FamilySearch Labs.

                                  Darn little on the wiki, this area needs some additional information, only some bare-bones stuff from the old research outlines there.

                                  ____________ _________ _________ __

                                  Message 16 of 27 , Mar 3 6:06 AM
                                    Ben mentions "one-stop shop" -- I was 100% in favor of
                                    one-stop shopping, back in the early 1990s, but was heavily
                                    out-voted by people who couldn't be bothered scrolling
                                    through Alaska and Alabama to get to Arkansas, or couldn't
                                    figure out that they /weren't/ required to read a post about
                                    Finnish research if they had no Finnish ancestors. Those
                                    folks created the myriad mail-lists and focussed/fractured
                                    websites we've got today.

                                    Trust me -- there will always be SOMEONE who thinks
                                    he/she/it can build a better (master-list of sites)(search
                                    engine)(database of names)(whatever) than any of the 100 or
                                    so out there.

                                    As I have pointed out to other groups (just so you don't
                                    feel picked-on as a religious minority or anything), a site
                                    built by and for (any single group interest) is always going
                                    to censor -- consciously, unconsciously, subconsciously --
                                    the content. While it may be uncomfortable for
                                    great-grandaunt Esmeralda to admit to her cronies in the
                                    Women's Circle that her grandfather was (lowered voice)
                                    Episcopal, she might have more luck fishing in known
                                    Episcopal genealogical waters than looking for Methodist
                                    genealogical waters that didn't exist in the time period she
                                    needs documents.

                                    What? Oh, right. I'll dismount now, and go take another
                                    pain pill.

                                    Sorry.

                                    Cheryl

                                    Ben Bennett wrote:
                                    > While it’s not new news to most of you, as I read this string I couldn’t help but plug the FamilySearch wiki (https://wiki.familysearch.org ) as a great resource that should be highlighted during upcoming FHC Expos or other classes.
                                    >

                                    > In line with your original question Paxton, the goal of the FamilySearch wiki is to capture knowledge (similar to the info included on many of the websites referenced by other FHCNetters in this string) in one place making it a one stop shop for links and info that will help patrons find their ancestors. The great thing about the wiki is that when someone else finds a great resource that isn’t already there (again like some of those referenced in this string), you can add it yourself and allow others to benefit.
                                    >

                                    > I’ve attached a pass along card that you can reproduce and hand out w/links to the wiki (and FamilySearch forums where users can also ask/get specific research help online in addition to the great support they get at the FHCs).
                                    >

                                    > Hope this helps <end of shameless plug ☺>

                                  • Paula
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Mar 3 9:39 AM
                                      If you use the keyword search in the Family History Library Catalog and search "interview Tonga", there are many oral genealogy interviews listed. I am not sure which family you are looking for but if they were in Hawaii around the 1950's or had family members there at that time, there are also many oral histories done at that time in Hawaii that might help. I am in Hawaii currently so I cannot check the films or film numbers that we have to tell you which ones have the Tongan Information. A major portion of the information you need is probably only found in oral histories. As mentioned before the Community Trees project on FamilySearch Labs is also a very good source. They have spent years on the Polynesian lines that are there and continue to work on them using FH missionaries that are very familiar with the culture and families they work with.

                                      Aloha,
                                      Paula

                                      Message 18 of 27 , Mar 3 9:40 PM
                                        For the aspect related to being a one stop shop for links, wouldn't it be
                                        worthwhile exploring the potential to work cooperatively with someone like
                                        Cyndi Howells, who has spent a decade collecting Internet links? It seems
                                        like the wiki is trying to reinvent the wheel here.

                                        Gary Templeman

                                        Message 19 of 27 , Mar 3 10:21 PM
                                          Yes, there is some information that is replicated (links to websites), but
                                          that is not the main purpose of the Wiki. If you are looking at the Wiki to
                                          find only internet sites, you have a narrow view of its full purpose. As an
                                          example, one item in the Wiki is information that was contained in the
                                          Resource Outlines, that were published years ago, and some of that
                                          information is out of date. The Wiki will provide the means to keep this
                                          information current.

                                          Having worked on a small part of the Wiki, during my mission at the Family
                                          History Library, I gained an insight into what is being created. The Wiki
                                          is designed to give guidance on how to do family research for any where in
                                          the world. One of the features of the Wiki is that anyone can add
                                          information that could be useful for others. Cyndi has done a great service
                                          in scouring the internet to find sites that are useful, but there are a
                                          great deal of other pieces of the puzzle that helps us identify needed
                                          records, that are not on internet sites.

                                          I may have access to information that no one else has, and I can add that
                                          information to the Wiki. Likewise, others may contribute information. No
                                          one person has all the expertise in a specific area. But many contributors
                                          can provide a great deal of information that will benefit the whole
                                          community.

                                          Len Ingermanson

                                          Message 20 of 27 , Mar 4 6:27 PM
                                            Then why not just have the wiki point to Cyndi or
                                            Linkpendium for those lists? There's enough to do in the
                                            genealogy market-place without building a better list of lists.

                                            Let's not lose sight of the fact that some facts don't need
                                            updating very often: The burned Counties of Virginia have
                                            been Burned Counties a long long long time and will remain
                                            so for a long long long time; the facts that English civil
                                            BMD records go back only to 1832 and Scottish ones only to
                                            1855, that India-Indians had no place to register
                                            same-religion marriages until about 1999 is going to be true
                                            a long time as well. If the Romanovs suddenly reappear as
                                            rulers of Russia. or the Bourbons regain the throne of
                                            France or the current Shah'n'Shah regains his country --
                                            it'll be international news, not an obscure fact in some
                                            genealogy wiki/blog/webpage.

                                            Cheryl

                                            Len Ingermanson wrote:

                                            > Yes, there is some information that is replicated (links to websites), but
                                            > that is not the main purpose of the Wiki. If you are looking at the Wiki to
                                            > find only internet sites, you have a narrow view of its full purpose. As an
                                            > example, one item in the Wiki is information that was contained in the
                                            > Resource Outlines, that were published years ago, and some of that
                                            > information is out of date. The Wiki will provide the means to keep this
                                            > information current.
                                            >
                                            > Having worked on a small part of the Wiki, during my mission at the Family
                                            > History Library, I gained an insight into what is being created. The Wiki
                                            > is designed to give guidance on how to do family research for any where in
                                            > the world. One of the features of the Wiki is that anyone can add
                                            > information that could be useful for others. Cyndi has done a great service
                                            > in scouring the internet to find sites that are useful, but there are a
                                            > great deal of other pieces of the puzzle that helps us identify needed
                                            > records, that are not on internet sites.
                                            >
                                            > I may have access to information that no one else has, and I can add that
                                            > information to the Wiki. Likewise, others may contribute information. No
                                            > one person has all the expertise in a specific area. But many contributors
                                            > can provide a great deal of information that will benefit the whole
                                            > community.
                                            >
                                            > Len Ingermanson
                                            >

                                            > On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 10:40 PM, Gary Templeman <gtempleman1@...>wrote:
                                            >

                                            >>For the aspect related to being a one stop shop for links, wouldn't it be
                                            >>worthwhile exploring the potential to work cooperatively with someone like
                                            >>Cyndi Howells, who has spent a decade collecting Internet links? It seems
                                            >>like the wiki is trying to reinvent the wheel here.
                                            >>
                                            >>Gary Templeman

                                          • Gary Templeman
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Mar 4 8:50 PM
                                              Len,

                                              I think you missed my point. I specifically was commenting *only* on the
                                              aspect of the wiki related to Internet links, not any other facet. I was not
                                              implying that there was nothing else of value there.

                                              The issue that I was trying to point out is that there are a finite number
                                              of Church service missionaries and Church employees and therefore a finite
                                              amount of resources that can be applied at any time. Cyndi Howells and the
                                              Internet links was only an illustration, but there are other examples of
                                              situations where, out of a labor of love, individuals or groups have created
                                              a valuable web site or resource. Stephen Morse's search engines or the
                                              German-Russian information at Odessa3.org are two others that come to mind.
                                              People such as Cyndi or Stephen are unlikely to be able to maintain those
                                              projects on their own forever, while as an institution the Church is not
                                              going to get burned out, old or die.

                                              So it seems to me that attempting wherever possible to work cooperatively
                                              WITH people such as Cyndi or Stephen rather than creating a parallel system
                                              becomes a win-win. Now I don't know Cyndi or Stephen, so maybe they intend
                                              to eventually sell their site to Ancestry or something. But if not, figuring
                                              out a way to blend their information into the wiki rather than creating it
                                              again from scratch just seems to me to be a smart thing to do. They get
                                              assured of continuity for all their hard work AND the missionaries and
                                              employees can devote a greater percentage of time to those aspects of the
                                              wiki that do not have viable alternatives. Otherwise there is always a risk
                                              of becoming spread too thin, resulting in the wiki turning into a "jack of
                                              all trades, master of none" kind of site. Far better it seems to me is to
                                              try to pull into our tent those who have already done a masterful job.

                                              Gary

                                              > Yes, there is some information that is replicated (links to websites), but
                                              > that is not the main purpose of the Wiki. If you are looking at the Wiki
                                              > find only internet sites, you have a narrow view of its full purpose. As
                                              > an
                                              > example, one item in the Wiki is information that was contained in the
                                              > Resource Outlines, that were published years ago, and some of that
                                              > information is out of date. The Wiki will provide the means to keep this
                                              > information current.
                                              >
                                              > Having worked on a small part of the Wiki, during my mission at the Family
                                              > History Library, I gained an insight into what is being created. The Wiki
                                              > is designed to give guidance on how to do family research for any where in
                                              > the world. One of the features of the Wiki is that anyone can add
                                              > information that could be useful for others. Cyndi has done a great
                                              > service
                                              > in scouring the internet to find sites that are useful, but there are a
                                              > great deal of other pieces of the puzzle that helps us identify needed
                                              > records, that are not on internet sites.
                                              >
                                              > I may have access to information that no one else has, and I can add that
                                              > information to the Wiki. Likewise, others may contribute information. No
                                              > one person has all the expertise in a specific area. But many
                                              > contributors
                                              > can provide a great deal of information that will benefit the whole
                                              > community.
                                              >
                                              > Len Ingermanson
                                              >

                                              > On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 10:40 PM, Gary Templeman
                                              > <gtempleman1@...>wrote:
                                              >

                                              >> For the aspect related to being a one stop shop for links, wouldn't it be
                                              >> worthwhile exploring the potential to work cooperatively with someone
                                              >> like
                                              >> Cyndi Howells, who has spent a decade collecting Internet links? It seems
                                              >> like the wiki is trying to reinvent the wheel here.
                                              >>
                                              >> Gary Templeman

                                              > Groups Links

                                            • John Vilburn
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Mar 5 1:10 AM
                                                Gary,

                                                You make a good point. I am not sure of the logistics, but the point is valid.

                                                One thing that I would like to add is that the wiki is not limited to editing by Church service missionaries or Church employees. Anyone with knowledge about a particular subject or area of the world can and should contribute. By working together to each add our own little bit of knowledge, the wiki can become a marvelous resource. One easy thing to do is to look up the place where you live or where you have done some research and see if your knowledge is missing from the wiki. In fact, now that I think about it, I am going to go and add a little about the very briefly lived town of Seaborn, Baylor, Texas to the wiki.

                                                Aloha,
                                                John

                                              • Terry Turner
                                                Message 23 of 27 , Jan 15, 2011
                                                  Does anyone have access to the SCR CD that ran with the DOS Family Search
                                                  application? I'm looking for a copy.

                                                  Terry in South Africa

                                                • Bill Buchanan
                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Jan 15, 2011
                                                    Terry,

                                                    The LANDesk Software Deployment portal has a version that you can install
                                                    without the CD, on a WindowsXP computer. It worked great on XP but I have
                                                    not been able to get it to work on Windows7 (64-bit) yet. If you have XP,
                                                    just download it from LANDesk like you do with the affiliate software.

                                                    --
                                                    Bill Buchanan
                                                    blog: http://billbuchanan.blogspot.com