your favorite internet sites

  • Paxton Lockhart
    Message 1 of 27 , Mar 1, 2010
      We are teaching several upcoming classes at our FHC, and I'd like to update
      our handout on internet sites - both US and worldwide.

      I'd love to hear about your favorites - anything new, preferably. I'm a 45
      year veteran of genealogy, and know about the tried and true ones like
      Cyndislist and usgenweb, multimap, Free BMD, FHC portal and Record Search
      Pilot, etc. Some worldwide sites would be nice. I am especially ignorant on
      Canadian research.

      Thanks -- Judy Lockhart, Mission Viejo, CA FHC

      > Groups Links

      > signature database 4905 (20100301) __________

      > http://www.eset.com

      __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4906 (20100301) __________

      http://www.eset.com
    • Ralph and Linda Miller
      Message 2 of 27 , Mar 1, 2010
        Here are a few:

        www.automatedgenealogy.com <http://www.automatedgenealogy.com/> - free
        - Canada 1901, 1911 censuses - very useful.

        http://www.genealogie.umontreal.ca/en/ - P.R.D.H. (Quebec vital records,
        early through 1800, some later deaths) - subscription required -
        excellent site.

        <http://www.ddd.dda.dk/dddform2_uk.asp>
        http://www.ddd.dda.dk/dddform2_uk.asp - Danish census index site - free.

        http://www.arkivalieronline.dk/English/default.aspx - Danish parish
        records and census site - registration (but not $) required; a little
        tricky so far

        http://www.genlias.nl/en/page0.jsp - Netherlands archive site - free -
        English available; excellent.

        http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~afgs/index1.html - French
        Canadian "Dit" Surnames - good way to track surname changes in Quebec
        (also includes some anglicizations)

        www.newenglandancestors.org <http://www.newenglandancestors.org/> -
        membership required in New England Historic Genealogical Society;
        databases include Massachusetts Vital Records (with index) from
        1841-1910; many other records also available, but the Massachusetts
        Vitals are great if you need those.

        Genline Family Finder also is a good subscription site for Swedish
        research, but they might already have that available through the Family
        History Library.

        Linda Miller
        Vermont

        We are teaching several upcoming classes at our FHC, and I'd like to
        update
        our handout on internet sites - both US and worldwide.

        I'd love to hear about your favorites - anything new, preferably. I'm a
        45
        year veteran of genealogy, and know about the tried and true ones like
        Cyndislist and usgenweb, multimap, Free BMD, FHC portal and Record
        Pilot, etc. Some worldwide sites would be nice. I am especially ignorant
        on
        Canadian research.

        Thanks -- Judy Lockhart, Mission Viejo, CA FHC

        yahoo.com/group/FHCNET
        > or send blank email to FHCNET-subscribe@
        <mailto:FHCNET-subscribe%40yahoogroups.comYahoo> yahoogroups.comYahoo!
        > Groups Links

        > signature database 4905 (20100301) __________

        > http://www.eset. <http://www.eset.com> com

        signature database 4906 (20100301) __________

        http://www.eset. <http://www.eset.com> com

      • Sue Maxwell
        Message 3 of 27 , Mar 1, 2010
          I'd highly suggest that you look at the Family History Library
          favorites. These are the links that are listed at the FHL in Salt Lake.

          There are two ways to access them. One by downloading the file and
          installing within your browser. The other is a website that has the
          links attached to a map and you can work your way through the various
          categories and links. Here are the links to both.

          FHL favorites to download and install:
          https://wiki.familysearch.org/en/Family_History_Library_Internet_Favorites

          FHL favorites by map: http://www.fhlfavorites.info/

          SueM

          Paxton Lockhart wrote:

          > We are teaching several upcoming classes at our FHC, and I'd like to
          > update
          > our handout on internet sites - both US and worldwide.
          >
          > I'd love to hear about your favorites - anything new, preferably. I'm
          > a 45
          > year veteran of genealogy, and know about the tried and true ones like
          > Cyndislist and usgenweb, multimap, Free BMD, FHC portal and Record Search
          > Pilot, etc. Some worldwide sites would be nice. I am especially
          > ignorant on
          > Canadian research.
          >
          > Thanks -- Judy Lockhart, Mission Viejo, CA FHC

        • Gary Templeman
          Message 4 of 27 , Mar 1, 2010
            A third way to get the FHL favorites, for FHC computers, is through the
            LANDesk Software Deployment Portal.

            A fourth way is to export them from any computer where they already reside
            (although others sources are more likely to be current).

            Gary Templeman

            > I'd highly suggest that you look at the Family History Library
            > favorites. These are the links that are listed at the FHL in Salt Lake.
            >
            > There are two ways to access them. One by downloading the file and
            > installing within your browser. The other is a website that has the
            > links attached to a map and you can work your way through the various
            > categories and links. Here are the links to both.
            >
            > FHL favorites to download and install:
            > https://wiki.familysearch.org/en/Family_History_Library_Internet_Favorites
            >

            > FHL favorites by map: http://www.fhlfavorites.info/
            >
            > SueM
            >
            > Paxton Lockhart wrote:
            >>

            >> We are teaching several upcoming classes at our FHC, and I'd like to
            >> update
            >> our handout on internet sites - both US and worldwide.
            >>
            >> I'd love to hear about your favorites - anything new, preferably. I'm
            >> a 45
            >> year veteran of genealogy, and know about the tried and true ones like
            >> Cyndislist and usgenweb, multimap, Free BMD, FHC portal and Record Search
            >> Pilot, etc. Some worldwide sites would be nice. I am especially
            >> ignorant on
            >> Canadian research.
            >>
            >> Thanks -- Judy Lockhart, Mission Viejo, CA FHC

            > Groups Links

          • Fred
            Message 5 of 27 , Mar 1, 2010
              More dit names:
              http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~unclefred/DitNames.html

              Newspapers:
              http://news.nnyln.net/

              Wills:
              http://www.sampubco.com/

              EllisIsland, etc: (best search engine)
              http://stevemorse.org/ellis/passengers.php

              Published families/lists/boards/freepages:
              www.rootsweb.com

              Worldwide genealogy Locations:
              http://www.worldgenweb.org/

              Regards, Fred

              Message 6 of 27 , Mar 1, 2010
                Go to http://www.telusplanet.net/public/mtoll/
                This is a website by one of our consultants at the Lethbridge, alberta FHC. Lots of links to Canada as well as all over the world.

                To: FHCNET@yahoogroups.com
                From: paxnjudy@...
                Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2010 12:39:38 -0800

                We are teaching several upcoming classes at our FHC, and I'd like to update
                our handout on internet sites - both US and worldwide.

                I'd love to hear about your favorites - anything new, preferably. I'm a 45
                year veteran of genealogy, and know about the tried and true ones like
                Cyndislist and usgenweb, multimap, Free BMD, FHC portal and Record Search
                Pilot, etc. Some worldwide sites would be nice. I am especially ignorant on
                Canadian research.

                Thanks -- Judy Lockhart, Mission Viejo, CA FHC

                > Groups Links

                > signature database 4905 (20100301) __________

                > http://www.eset.com

                __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4906 (20100301) __________

                http://www.eset.com

              • emregister
                Message 7 of 27 , Mar 2, 2010
                  Download the FHL favourites from the landesk management site. It is
                  extensive.

                  Eric

                  We are teaching several upcoming classes at our FHC, and I'd like to update
                  our handout on internet sites - both US and worldwide.

                  I'd love to hear about your favorites - anything new, preferably. I'm a 45
                  year veteran of genealogy, and know about the tried and true ones like
                  Cyndislist and usgenweb, multimap, Free BMD, FHC portal and Record Search
                  Pilot, etc. Some worldwide sites would be nice. I am especially ignorant on
                  Canadian research.

                  Thanks -- Judy Lockhart, Mission Viejo, CA FHC

                  > Groups Links

                  > signature database 4905 (20100301) __________

                  > http://www.eset.com

                  database 4906 (20100301) __________

                  http://www.eset.com

                  Groups Links
                  Message 8 of 27 , Mar 2, 2010
                    Paxton Lockhart wrote:

                    > We are teaching several upcoming classes at our FHC, and I'd like to update
                    > our handout on internet sites - both US and worldwide.
                    >
                    > I'd love to hear about your favorites - anything new, preferably. I'm a 45
                    > year veteran of genealogy, and know about the tried and true ones like
                    > Cyndislist and usgenweb, multimap, Free BMD, FHC portal and Record Search
                    > Pilot, etc. Some worldwide sites would be nice. I am especially ignorant on
                    > Canadian research.
                    >
                    > Thanks -- Judy Lockhart, Mission Viejo, CA FHC

                    www.genuki.org.uk -- THE place to start British research.

                    www.namethesaurus.com -- will show names that may sound
                    alike -- uses 3 separate coding systems, not including LDS',
                    which is VERY helpful if you suspect a dialect problem.

                    Yvon Cyr and Denis Beauregarde both have websites covering
                    Acadian/Cajun research but I don't remember the URLs

                    www.loc.gov/coll/nucmc -- manuscript collection index at
                    Library of Congress.

                    www.dar.org has recently mounted some data that's available
                    to the public

                    www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook has
                    been useful on occasion.

                    www.sachsen.de/en/bf/verwaltung/archivverwaltung/inhalt_archive.html
                    resource of Saxony-German research ...

                    and don't forget the WorldGenWeb.org -- some places are a
                    lot more useful than others, but you owe it to yourself to look.

                    FWIW, HTH

                    Cheryl Singhal
                  • Fred
                    Message 9 of 27 , Mar 2, 2010
                      Ah, Canadian, I forgot to add:
                      http://www.francogene.com/genealogy/index.php

                      Regards, Fred

                      > We are teaching several upcoming classes at our FHC, and I'd like to
                      update
                      > our handout on internet sites - both US and worldwide.
                      >
                      > I'd love to hear about your favorites - anything new, preferably. I'm a 45

                      > year veteran of genealogy, and know about the tried and true ones like
                      > Cyndislist and usgenweb, multimap, Free BMD, FHC portal and Record Search
                      > Pilot, etc. Some worldwide sites would be nice. I am especially ignorant
                      on
                      > Canadian research.
                      >
                      > Thanks -- Judy Lockhart, Mission Viejo, CA FHC

                    • Sylvia H. Sonneborn
                      Message 10 of 27 , Mar 2, 2010
                        To Paxton

                        RE: Favorite Internet Sites

                        Try http://www.progenealogists.com/

                        Click on green block that says, "Try our famous Genealogy Sleuth" and it
                        will open up a collection of wonderful sites for the family history
                        researcher.

                        I also like Linkendium.com

                        World Connect at Rootsweb http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/ It's a free
                        site and owned by Ancestry.

                        Sylvia

                        York, Pennsylvania

                      • Ann Amadori
                        Message 11 of 27 , Mar 2, 2010
                          I like https://www.novascotiagenealogy.com/<https://www.novascotiagenealogy.com/> for vital records in Nova Scotia. You can see the actual records free and/or order certified copies.
                          Ann A.

                          Posted by: "Paxton Lockhart" paxnjudy@... <mailto:paxnjudy@...?Subject= Re:your favorite internet sites> paxnjudy@... <http://profiles.yahoo.com/paxnjudy@...>
                          Mon Mar 1, 2010 12:40 pm (PST)
                          We are teaching several upcoming classes at our FHC, and I'd like to update
                          our handout on internet sites - both US and worldwide.

                          I'd love to hear about your favorites - anything new, preferably. I'm a 45
                          year veteran of genealogy, and know about the tried and true ones like
                          Cyndislist and usgenweb, multimap, Free BMD, FHC portal and Record Search
                          Pilot, etc. Some worldwide sites would be nice. I am especially ignorant on
                          Canadian research.

                          Thanks -- Judy Lockhart, Mission Viejo, CA FHC

                        • Paul Walworth
                          Message 12 of 27 , Mar 2, 2010
                            Thanks, I have just started using this and have found quite a bit of information for my families
                            Paul

                            ________________________________

                          • llucky@sbcglobal.net
                            Message 13 of 27 , Mar 2, 2010
                              We have been asked to teach a class - and help a group - researching their Tongan families. Does anyone have any suggestions or helpful websites? This is a new area for us.
                              Thanks
                              Linda Lucky
                            • Sylvia H. Sonneborn
                              Message 14 of 27 , Mar 2, 2010
                                To Paxton

                                RE: Favorite Internet Sites

                                Try http://www.progenealogists.com/

                                Click on green block that says, "Try our famous Genealogy Sleuth" and it
                                will open up a collection of wonderful sites for the family history
                                researcher.

                                I also like Linkpendium.com

                                World Connect at Rootsweb http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/ It's a free
                                site and owned by Ancestry.

                                Sylvia

                                York, Pennsylvania

                              • Ben Bennett
                                Message 15 of 27 , Mar 2, 2010
                                  While it’s not new news to most of you, as I read this string I couldn’t help but plug the FamilySearch wiki (https://wiki.familysearch.org ) as a great resource that should be highlighted during upcoming FHC Expos or other classes.

                                  In line with your original question Paxton, the goal of the FamilySearch wiki is to capture knowledge (similar to the info included on many of the websites referenced by other FHCNetters in this string) in one place making it a one stop shop for links and info that will help patrons find their ancestors. The great thing about the wiki is that when someone else finds a great resource that isn’t already there (again like some of those referenced in this string), you can add it yourself and allow others to benefit.

                                  I’ve attached a pass along card that you can reproduce and hand out w/links to the wiki (and FamilySearch forums where users can also ask/get specific research help online in addition to the great support they get at the FHCs).

                                  Hope this helps <end of shameless plug ☺>

                                  Message 16 of 27 , Mar 2, 2010
                                    this sounds like a challenging class. I have not had to teach anything from
                                    the Pacific Islands but I think I may have some helpful sites. The first
                                    site is the FamilySearch Community Trees at
                                    http://histfam.familysearch.org/searchform.php. Once you get to this site
                                    pull down the menu at Trees. Scroll down to the Pacific Islands section and
                                    you will see Tongan Oral Genealogies. They also have several other Pacific
                                    Island genealogy databases there.

                                    Another page which may be helpful is the FamilySearch Wiki. They have info
                                    on Tongan research at https://wiki.familysearch.org/en/Portal:Tonga.

                                    WorldVitalRecords has a Tongan portal at http://tonga.worldvitalrecords.com/.
                                    It claims to search over 60 websites related to Tongan genealogy.

                                    If those don't help, then I would suggest going to Google and searching for
                                    Tonga Genealogy. Here is a link to their search results:
                                    http://tinyurl.com/yc7epgz.

                                    Miles Meyer
                                    Jacksonville, FL
                                    *
                                    *
                                    *
                                    *

                                    On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 2:27 PM, llucky@...
                                    <llucky@...>wrote:

                                    > We have been asked to teach a class - and help a group - researching their
                                    > Tongan families. Does anyone have any suggestions or helpful websites? This
                                    > is a new area for us.
                                    > Thanks
                                    > Linda Lucky

                                  • Alton Sissell
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Mar 2, 2010
                                      Linda: I Googled "Tonga Genealogy Research" and got 93,700 sites for Tonga research.

                                      try http://tonga.worldvitalrecords.com/ also!

                                      Alton Sissell

                                      ________________________________
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Mar 2, 2010
                                        There are some oral histories, important to consider in this area, on the 'Community Trees' project on FamilySearch Labs.

                                        Darn little on the wiki, this area needs some additional information, only some bare-bones stuff from the old research outlines there.

                                        ____________ _________ _________ __

                                        Message 19 of 27 , Mar 3, 2010
                                          Ben mentions "one-stop shop" -- I was 100% in favor of
                                          one-stop shopping, back in the early 1990s, but was heavily
                                          out-voted by people who couldn't be bothered scrolling
                                          through Alaska and Alabama to get to Arkansas, or couldn't
                                          figure out that they /weren't/ required to read a post about
                                          Finnish research if they had no Finnish ancestors. Those
                                          folks created the myriad mail-lists and focussed/fractured
                                          websites we've got today.

                                          Trust me -- there will always be SOMEONE who thinks
                                          he/she/it can build a better (master-list of sites)(search
                                          engine)(database of names)(whatever) than any of the 100 or
                                          so out there.

                                          As I have pointed out to other groups (just so you don't
                                          feel picked-on as a religious minority or anything), a site
                                          built by and for (any single group interest) is always going
                                          to censor -- consciously, unconsciously, subconsciously --
                                          the content. While it may be uncomfortable for
                                          great-grandaunt Esmeralda to admit to her cronies in the
                                          Women's Circle that her grandfather was (lowered voice)
                                          Episcopal, she might have more luck fishing in known
                                          Episcopal genealogical waters than looking for Methodist
                                          genealogical waters that didn't exist in the time period she
                                          needs documents.

                                          What? Oh, right. I'll dismount now, and go take another
                                          pain pill.

                                          Sorry.

                                          Cheryl

                                          Ben Bennett wrote:
                                          > While it’s not new news to most of you, as I read this string I couldn’t help but plug the FamilySearch wiki (https://wiki.familysearch.org ) as a great resource that should be highlighted during upcoming FHC Expos or other classes.
                                          >

                                          > In line with your original question Paxton, the goal of the FamilySearch wiki is to capture knowledge (similar to the info included on many of the websites referenced by other FHCNetters in this string) in one place making it a one stop shop for links and info that will help patrons find their ancestors. The great thing about the wiki is that when someone else finds a great resource that isn’t already there (again like some of those referenced in this string), you can add it yourself and allow others to benefit.
                                          >

                                          > I’ve attached a pass along card that you can reproduce and hand out w/links to the wiki (and FamilySearch forums where users can also ask/get specific research help online in addition to the great support they get at the FHCs).
                                          >

                                          > Hope this helps <end of shameless plug ☺>

                                        • Paula
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Mar 3, 2010
                                            If you use the keyword search in the Family History Library Catalog and search "interview Tonga", there are many oral genealogy interviews listed. I am not sure which family you are looking for but if they were in Hawaii around the 1950's or had family members there at that time, there are also many oral histories done at that time in Hawaii that might help. I am in Hawaii currently so I cannot check the films or film numbers that we have to tell you which ones have the Tongan Information. A major portion of the information you need is probably only found in oral histories. As mentioned before the Community Trees project on FamilySearch Labs is also a very good source. They have spent years on the Polynesian lines that are there and continue to work on them using FH missionaries that are very familiar with the culture and families they work with.

                                            Aloha,
                                            Paula

                                            Message 21 of 27 , Mar 3, 2010
                                              For the aspect related to being a one stop shop for links, wouldn't it be
                                              worthwhile exploring the potential to work cooperatively with someone like
                                              Cyndi Howells, who has spent a decade collecting Internet links? It seems
                                              like the wiki is trying to reinvent the wheel here.

                                              Gary Templeman

                                              Message 22 of 27 , Mar 3, 2010
                                                Yes, there is some information that is replicated (links to websites), but
                                                that is not the main purpose of the Wiki. If you are looking at the Wiki to
                                                find only internet sites, you have a narrow view of its full purpose. As an
                                                example, one item in the Wiki is information that was contained in the
                                                Resource Outlines, that were published years ago, and some of that
                                                information is out of date. The Wiki will provide the means to keep this
                                                information current.

                                                Having worked on a small part of the Wiki, during my mission at the Family
                                                History Library, I gained an insight into what is being created. The Wiki
                                                is designed to give guidance on how to do family research for any where in
                                                the world. One of the features of the Wiki is that anyone can add
                                                information that could be useful for others. Cyndi has done a great service
                                                in scouring the internet to find sites that are useful, but there are a
                                                great deal of other pieces of the puzzle that helps us identify needed
                                                records, that are not on internet sites.

                                                I may have access to information that no one else has, and I can add that
                                                information to the Wiki. Likewise, others may contribute information. No
                                                one person has all the expertise in a specific area. But many contributors
                                                can provide a great deal of information that will benefit the whole
                                                community.

                                                Len Ingermanson

                                                Message 23 of 27 , Mar 4, 2010
                                                  Then why not just have the wiki point to Cyndi or
                                                  Linkpendium for those lists? There's enough to do in the
                                                  genealogy market-place without building a better list of lists.

                                                  Let's not lose sight of the fact that some facts don't need
                                                  updating very often: The burned Counties of Virginia have
                                                  been Burned Counties a long long long time and will remain
                                                  so for a long long long time; the facts that English civil
                                                  BMD records go back only to 1832 and Scottish ones only to
                                                  1855, that India-Indians had no place to register
                                                  same-religion marriages until about 1999 is going to be true
                                                  a long time as well. If the Romanovs suddenly reappear as
                                                  rulers of Russia. or the Bourbons regain the throne of
                                                  France or the current Shah'n'Shah regains his country --
                                                  it'll be international news, not an obscure fact in some
                                                  genealogy wiki/blog/webpage.

                                                  Cheryl

                                                  Len Ingermanson wrote:

                                                  > Yes, there is some information that is replicated (links to websites), but
                                                  > that is not the main purpose of the Wiki. If you are looking at the Wiki to
                                                  > find only internet sites, you have a narrow view of its full purpose. As an
                                                  > example, one item in the Wiki is information that was contained in the
                                                  > Resource Outlines, that were published years ago, and some of that
                                                  > information is out of date. The Wiki will provide the means to keep this
                                                  > information current.
                                                  >
                                                  > Having worked on a small part of the Wiki, during my mission at the Family
                                                  > History Library, I gained an insight into what is being created. The Wiki
                                                  > is designed to give guidance on how to do family research for any where in
                                                  > the world. One of the features of the Wiki is that anyone can add
                                                  > information that could be useful for others. Cyndi has done a great service
                                                  > in scouring the internet to find sites that are useful, but there are a
                                                  > great deal of other pieces of the puzzle that helps us identify needed
                                                  > records, that are not on internet sites.
                                                  >
                                                  > I may have access to information that no one else has, and I can add that
                                                  > information to the Wiki. Likewise, others may contribute information. No
                                                  > one person has all the expertise in a specific area. But many contributors
                                                  > can provide a great deal of information that will benefit the whole
                                                  > community.
                                                  >
                                                  > Len Ingermanson
                                                  >

                                                  > On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 10:40 PM, Gary Templeman <gtempleman1@...>wrote:
                                                  >

                                                  >>For the aspect related to being a one stop shop for links, wouldn't it be
                                                  >>worthwhile exploring the potential to work cooperatively with someone like
                                                  >>Cyndi Howells, who has spent a decade collecting Internet links? It seems
                                                  >>like the wiki is trying to reinvent the wheel here.
                                                  >>
                                                  >>Gary Templeman

                                                • Gary Templeman
                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Mar 4, 2010
                                                    Len,

                                                    I think you missed my point. I specifically was commenting *only* on the
                                                    aspect of the wiki related to Internet links, not any other facet. I was not
                                                    implying that there was nothing else of value there.

                                                    The issue that I was trying to point out is that there are a finite number
                                                    of Church service missionaries and Church employees and therefore a finite
                                                    amount of resources that can be applied at any time. Cyndi Howells and the
                                                    Internet links was only an illustration, but there are other examples of
                                                    situations where, out of a labor of love, individuals or groups have created
                                                    a valuable web site or resource. Stephen Morse's search engines or the
                                                    German-Russian information at Odessa3.org are two others that come to mind.
                                                    People such as Cyndi or Stephen are unlikely to be able to maintain those
                                                    projects on their own forever, while as an institution the Church is not
                                                    going to get burned out, old or die.

                                                    So it seems to me that attempting wherever possible to work cooperatively
                                                    WITH people such as Cyndi or Stephen rather than creating a parallel system
                                                    becomes a win-win. Now I don't know Cyndi or Stephen, so maybe they intend
                                                    to eventually sell their site to Ancestry or something. But if not, figuring
                                                    out a way to blend their information into the wiki rather than creating it
                                                    again from scratch just seems to me to be a smart thing to do. They get
                                                    assured of continuity for all their hard work AND the missionaries and
                                                    employees can devote a greater percentage of time to those aspects of the
                                                    wiki that do not have viable alternatives. Otherwise there is always a risk
                                                    of becoming spread too thin, resulting in the wiki turning into a "jack of
                                                    all trades, master of none" kind of site. Far better it seems to me is to
                                                    try to pull into our tent those who have already done a masterful job.

                                                    Gary

                                                    > Yes, there is some information that is replicated (links to websites), but
                                                    > that is not the main purpose of the Wiki. If you are looking at the Wiki
                                                    > find only internet sites, you have a narrow view of its full purpose. As
                                                    > an
                                                    > example, one item in the Wiki is information that was contained in the
                                                    > Resource Outlines, that were published years ago, and some of that
                                                    > information is out of date. The Wiki will provide the means to keep this
                                                    > information current.
                                                    >
                                                    > Having worked on a small part of the Wiki, during my mission at the Family
                                                    > History Library, I gained an insight into what is being created. The Wiki
                                                    > is designed to give guidance on how to do family research for any where in
                                                    > the world. One of the features of the Wiki is that anyone can add
                                                    > information that could be useful for others. Cyndi has done a great
                                                    > service
                                                    > in scouring the internet to find sites that are useful, but there are a
                                                    > great deal of other pieces of the puzzle that helps us identify needed
                                                    > records, that are not on internet sites.
                                                    >
                                                    > I may have access to information that no one else has, and I can add that
                                                    > information to the Wiki. Likewise, others may contribute information. No
                                                    > one person has all the expertise in a specific area. But many
                                                    > contributors
                                                    > can provide a great deal of information that will benefit the whole
                                                    > community.
                                                    >
                                                    > Len Ingermanson
                                                    >

                                                    > On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 10:40 PM, Gary Templeman
                                                    > <gtempleman1@...>wrote:
                                                    >

                                                    >> For the aspect related to being a one stop shop for links, wouldn't it be
                                                    >> worthwhile exploring the potential to work cooperatively with someone
                                                    >> like
                                                    >> Cyndi Howells, who has spent a decade collecting Internet links? It seems
                                                    >> like the wiki is trying to reinvent the wheel here.
                                                    >>
                                                    >> Gary Templeman

                                                    > Groups Links

                                                  • John Vilburn
                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Mar 5, 2010
                                                      Gary,

                                                      You make a good point. I am not sure of the logistics, but the point is valid.

                                                      One thing that I would like to add is that the wiki is not limited to editing by Church service missionaries or Church employees. Anyone with knowledge about a particular subject or area of the world can and should contribute. By working together to each add our own little bit of knowledge, the wiki can become a marvelous resource. One easy thing to do is to look up the place where you live or where you have done some research and see if your knowledge is missing from the wiki. In fact, now that I think about it, I am going to go and add a little about the very briefly lived town of Seaborn, Baylor, Texas to the wiki.

                                                      Aloha,
                                                      John

                                                    • Terry Turner
                                                      Message 26 of 27 , Jan 15, 2011
                                                        Does anyone have access to the SCR CD that ran with the DOS Family Search
                                                        application? I'm looking for a copy.

                                                        Terry in South Africa

                                                      • Bill Buchanan
                                                        Message 27 of 27 , Jan 15, 2011
                                                          Terry,

                                                          The LANDesk Software Deployment portal has a version that you can install
                                                          without the CD, on a WindowsXP computer. It worked great on XP but I have
                                                          not been able to get it to work on Windows7 (64-bit) yet. If you have XP,
                                                          just download it from LANDesk like you do with the affiliate software.

                                                          --
                                                          Bill Buchanan
                                                          blog: http://billbuchanan.blogspot.com