Norway deaths

  • Shanna Jones
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 17, 2009
      Hello,

      I was helping a gentleman who had a lot of family members from Norway. He
      has birth dates for them but does not know if they are now deceased. It is
      likely that they are because they were born in the 1890's and 1900's. He
      would like to submit those born before 1915. Does anyone know if there is
      something in Norway similar to the US Social Security Death Index where one
      could search to see if these cousins are now deceased?

      Thanks for any help!

      Shanna Jones

      shannasjones@...

    • Len Ingermanson
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 17, 2009
        I would go to the wiki in labs and look at Norway. There is a lot of
        information on the site. There are links to the Norwegian Archieves there
        also. However, I do not know how close to the present the archieves go, but
        it is a start.
        Len Ingermanson

        On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 1:53 PM, Shanna Jones <shannasjones@...> wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > I was helping a gentleman who had a lot of family members from Norway. He
        > has birth dates for them but does not know if they are now deceased. It is
        > likely that they are because they were born in the 1890's and 1900's. He
        > would like to submit those born before 1915. Does anyone know if there is
        > something in Norway similar to the US Social Security Death Index where one
        > could search to see if these cousins are now deceased?
        >
        > Thanks for any help!
        >
        > Shanna Jones

      • Paula
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 17, 2009
          The Digital Archives at the University of Bergen has a great online database. http://digitalarkivet.no/
          Then click on English unless you read Norwegian.

          I have not used their death index (Dødsfall) of more current years but this link will take you to the search page.
          http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=14&filnamn=dodsfall&gardpostnr=352388#nedre
          This page is in Norwegian but the search filters should be in English

          I am not sure how complete it is. It is worth a try.

          Aloha,
          Paula

          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 18, 2009
            Just landed in SLC
            Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry 703-727-5474