Re: [FHCNET] One question in response to Gaylon's comparisons

  • John Vilburn
    Message 1 of 41 , Dec 1, 2009
      Venita,

      Here is my response:

      Using a product which works directly with your database and also accesses FamilySearch directly gives two major benefits.
      1. It is faster. You never have to type in (or copy and paste) information to initiate a search. You also never have to type in or copy and paste information from FamilySearch back into your database.
      2. It is more accurate. Because you don't have to type or copy and paste in either direction, the chance of a human-introduced error is greatly diminished.

      I believe that other posts on this list have addressed this subject as well. I think others on this list might be able to offer even more reasons.

      Aloha,
      John

      On Nov 30, 2009, at 9:51 PM, Venita Roylance wrote:

      > Dear Gaylon, Bruce and John,
      >
      > I have been thoroughly chastised by a fellow lister and I apologize for seeming harsh. Apparently, I wasn't clear enough about what I wanted from you, so let me try again.
      >
      > I am acquainted with each of your programs, but not an expert in any of them. I have used them somewhat with my own data, but have chosen to not use any of them permanently. I do not want a comparison of what each program does since I believe I can discover that for myself on your websites and through my own experience.
      >
      > What I had hoped you would tell me is why I (or anyone) should use a sync program at all. What motivated you to create a sync program? What will it do for me in working with nFS that I can't do without using it? Please respond in 100 words or less. I restrict the number of words to encourage you to be succinct. I want an explanation, not a sales pitch. I'm more interested in a thoughtful response than a quick one.
      >
      > Thank you,
      >
      > Venita
      >
      > On Nov 30, 2009, at 8:24 PM, Venita Roylance wrote:
      >
      > > Thank you, John, for responding to the challenge. I appreciate your input.
      > >
      > > Venita
      > >

      > > On Nov 30, 2009, at 3:01 PM, John Vilburn wrote:
      > >
      > >> Venita,
      > >>
      > >> I don't believe that either Gaylon's or Bruce's posts were in direct response to your request (I could be wrong about Gaylon's, I am not sure). However I must state that the most reliable way to get an impartial product comparison is to have it done by a truly disinterested third party. An even more reliable way to find out which product is best for you is to simply try each product. It really doesn't take that much time to get enough of a feel for a product to know if you like it. Anyway, to answer your question...
      > >>
      > >> Using a product which works directly with your database and also accesses FamilySearch directly gives two major benefits.
      > >> 1. It is faster. You never have to type in (or copy and paste) information to initiate a search. You also never have to type in or copy and paste information from FamilySearch back into your database.
      > >> 2. It is more accurate. Because you don't have to type or copy and paste in either direction, the chance of a human-introduced error is greatly diminished.
      > >>
      > >> I believe that other posts on this list have addressed this subject as well. I think others on this list might be able to offer even more reasons.
      > >>
      > >> Aloha,
      > >> John

    • Joan Raney
      Message 41 of 41 , Dec 7, 2009
        You may need to go into the GEDCOM and manually change the dates to the format that you prefer. I've hand-edited several GEDCOMs over the years. It's a hassle sometimes but it works. Make sure you make a backup of the file before starting--that way, if you delete something that shouldn't be deleted, you have your back up to fall back on.

        GEDCOM files are simple text files and can be edited using Notepad or another text editor.

        Joan in NC

        Don wrote:
        That did not work. I downloaded a new GEDCOM from Ancestry, then imported
        the GEDCOM file into RootsMagic but the dates are still in YYYY-MMM-DD
        format.

        It is in Ancestry that the dates are mixed up. The dates in the GEDCOM I
        originally uploaded are the correct DD MMM YYYY format, but Ancestry
        imported them wrong. Of course, their tech support says it is not their
        fault and that they have never seen this problem before. And that the only
        way to fix it is for me to edit every individual one person at a time, to
        fix their import error.

        So, I still need a way to change the date format globally for over 10,000
        individuals.