nFS Beta .99 out

  • Gary & Diane
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 14, 2009
      The .99 Beta version of newFamilySearch is now being beta tested. The instructions state that there will be two test periods one is going on now and another test2 will take place the end of November. I have been using it all morning. This is the most exciting update I have seen. It is very fast and includes the best of both nFS and FamilyTree.

      The major changes include:

      There are now 3 views (2 New views replace 2 of the old views): Pedigree View with Details, Family Tree View, and Individual List (Only available inside the Family Tree view). They have removed the older Pedigree View and Family Group Record View.

      The Family Group Record view has been replaced with the ability to print a family group sheet. This is now a formatted report and not a entry screen with active fields like it is in the current version of nFS.

      The Pedigree View with Details view is the same as the current version with just one change that I have noticed, under the Ordinance Tab it now has small icons next to the ordinances showing the status of the ordinance, similar to those shown in the Temple Tab. This also shows who has reserved the ordinance when it is in process.

      The Family Tree View is similar to the Family Tree program from FamilySearch Labs but it has a lot of new functions. It allows multiple generations to be displayed at once and can be extended one generation at a time. When you get many generations on the screen at once you can pan around the pedigree and zoom in and out like you do in a map (like google maps). It includes Temple icons above each couple in the pedigree, like those shown in the Pedigree View with Details. It also shows the summary on the right side of the screen with two possible views, Summary and Family. There are also links above the summary to View Details, Print a Family Group Sheet, and add a spouse, child, or parents. The Family Tree view also allows the descendent view like it does in Labs. You can also resolve duplicate spouses from the Pedigree drop down menu that shows other spouses. When you click on the View Details you get a pop up box of that persons Folder just like the one in the bottom half of the Pedigree with Details view.

      The Temple List of reserved names has a few changes, it now has a link to Unreserve a name and a link to Reassign individual ordinances.

      There are also several places where you can print reports and the reports are more than just screen shots, they are actually formatted and some are continuous from page to page.

      It seems to be very stable and much faster than previous versions. It also allows combining more records per folder. The summary sheet of changes shows it is New Features as of December 2009 so hopefully we should see it available to everyone before the end of the year.
    • kgrant100@aol.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 15, 2009
        For those who may be beta testing, I have a question about Challenge 3. The
        instructions ask users to go to the Me and My Ancestors page. From there,
        we're asked to click the View Details link and the Family Group Record
        link.

        Unless I've totally missed them, there are no links by these names on the
        Me and My Ancestors page. I assume that by View Details link they mean an
        ancestor's hyperlinked name in the pedigree. But does anyone know where the
        Family Group Record link is?

        Thanks!

        Kathy

        In a message dated 11/15/2009 2:38:07 A.M. Central Standard Time,
        FHCNET@yahoogroups.com writes:

        _nFS Beta .99 out _
        (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/FHCNET/message/25781;_ylc=X3oDMTJyMDF2YmN1BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzM5MzQ3NTcEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDQwODM
        3BG1zZ0lkAzI1NzgxBHNlYwNkbXNnBHNsawN2bXNnBHN0aW1lAzEyNTgyNzQyNjY-)
        Posted by: "Gary & Diane" _garysturn@... _
        (mailto:garysturn@...?Subject= Re:nFS%20Beta%20.99%20out) _gturn55 _
        (http://profiles.yahoo.com/gturn55)
        Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:28 am (PST)

        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 15, 2009
          Family Group Records are in the upper left corner. It says Change View and
          gives you the option of pedigree or group sheet views.

          Miles Meyer

          On Sun, Nov 15, 2009 at 7:14 PM, <kgrant100@...> wrote:

          > For those who may be beta testing, I have a question about Challenge 3. The
          >
          > instructions ask users to go to the Me and My Ancestors page. From there,
          > we're asked to click the View Details link and the Family Group Record
          > link.
          >
          > Unless I've totally missed them, there are no links by these names on the
          > Me and My Ancestors page. I assume that by View Details link they mean an
          > ancestor's hyperlinked name in the pedigree. But does anyone know where the
          >
          > Family Group Record link is?
          >
          > Thanks!
          >
          > Kathy

        • Thelmer Smith
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 15, 2009
            The Family Group Record is on the right side of the screen next to the View Details link; you have to be in the Family Tree view to see it.

            Thelmer Smith
            Tempe, Arizona

            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 15, 2009
              You are right Thelmer. I have been going back and forth between the beta and
              current version (along with having a cold) and missed the new location from
              the test. I gave the old location in my response. Glad someone caught it.

              Miles Meyer

            • Autumnleaf2@roadrunner.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 15, 2009
                ---- kgrant100@... wrote:
                Go to Pedigree
                Click on Ancestors Name
                View Details
                You will find Family Group Records in two places
                Parents and Siblings
                and Spouses and Children

                I loved this particular nFS Beta

                Autumn in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho

                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 15, 2009
                  I went back and looked again --- on Challenge 3, I only found the Family Group Records in the View Details area on the Family Pedigree with Details --- and when I looked on the Family Tree w/ View Details, the Family Group Records is there in the upper corner, but NOT in the Parents and Siblings nor Spouses & Children as it is in the Family Pedigree with Details... so, it looks possible to find the Family Group Records in both places.

                  Autumn in Coeur d'Alene Idaho

                  ---- Thelmer Smith <thelmersmith@...> wrote:
                  > The Family Group Record is on the right side of the screen next to the View Details link; you have to be in the Family Tree view to see it.
                  >
                  > Thelmer Smith
                  > Tempe, Arizona
                • Len Ingermanson
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 15, 2009
                    Something that may help with this beta test; before you sign in, click on
                    the News and Updates link. There is a description of all the changes that
                    will occur when this revision is released. By reading this section, all may
                    understand what changes will or are occurring with this new release. One of
                    the things that is explained is the question you are asking.
                    Len Ingermanson

                  • kgrant100@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 16, 2009
                      Thanks, everyone! Looks like the actual problem is that the Challenge 3
                      instructions weren't updated :) Very minor in the scheme of things.

                      Kathy

                      In a message dated 11/16/2009 2:36:20 A.M. Central Standard Time,
                      FHCNET@yahoogroups.com writes:

                      I went back and looked again --- on Challenge 3, I only found the Family
                      Group Records in the View Details area on the Family Pedigree with Details
                      --- and when I looked on the Family Tree w/ View Details, the Family Group
                      Records is there in the upper corner, but NOT in the Parents and Siblings
                      nor Spouses & Children as it is in the Family Pedigree with Details... so, it
                      looks possible to find the Family Group Records in both places.

                      Autumn in Coeur d'Alene Idaho

                    • Tom Kemp
                      Message 10 of 10 , Nov 16, 2009
                        Notice that you can no longer sort by male/female in the Temple Tab.